Start by marking “Creating Freedom: Power, Control and the Fight for Our Future” as Want to Read:
Creating Freedom: Power, Control and the Fight for Our Future

Creating Freedom: Power, Control and the Fight for Our Future

The idea of freedom is at the heart of our political and economic systems. It is foundational to our democracy, our way of life - our very conception of what it is to be human. But are we free in the way that we think we are?

In Creating Freedom, Raoul Martinez compellingly dismantles the sacred myth of freedom, showing that our belief that our institutions are free, even o
Published September 29th 2016 by Canongate Books

Al Williams
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a colossal achievement. Martinez has pulled together so much great thinking and it's superbly researched. In fluid, clear prose he sets out the structural problems with modern society and how we might go about changing things for the better. The author argues eloquently for a more compassionate understanding society, by analyzing how imbalances of power, justice and wealth are maintained and questioning how we all contribute to them. I've never read something that managed to break d ...more
Anna
Here is an interesting example of a book that I agree wholeheartedly with the politics of, while having significant misgivings about its intellectual underpinnings. In fact, I initially found the sweeping generalisations disconcerting and off-putting. Conveniently, my critical response is in line with Raoul Martinez’s suggestion to always question what you read and your responses to it. He covers a very wide sweep of ideological, political, historical, and environmental material, which is both i ...more
Shalini
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the book offered no new insight, it is brings together my understanding of the world. Raoul Martinez offers a coherent well articulated discourse on all that is wrong in our current society from the prison system to economics, climate change, the IMF and elections- from Obama's drones to Trudeau's arms trade! It is a book by a non-expert that draws from many books and authors, Daniel Kahneman to Naom Chomsky, and ends with a powerful note of hope, on why another way is possible. A must rea ...more
Tariq Mahmood
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
The book is a must read for liberals but will prove to be challenging read for all right wingers, nationalists and capitalists. Chapters on banking and politics were very interesting indeed.
Paul
Apr 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is so misguided it's almost sad. But for quoting Dennett out of context you deserve a swift kick in the gonads. Another one for cherry picked examples and treating correlation as proof of causation.

It's like reading a stoner who just had this amazing epiphany that "dude, everything is made out of energy, like woah". And following along the same lines: "man, in this wholly deterministic (or not) world, none of us is responsible for anything, it's just atoms bouncing around, man, it's not us"
H.A. Leuschel
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a comprehensive and very well written book that had me thinking about so many aspects in our lives. The themes range from psychology to economics, politics and philosophy, suggesting a picture of society that has a lot of potential to be improved on, to say the least. It is not accusatory in tone though, leaving it to the different statistics, facts and background information to speak for themselves. 'Eyes can be opened to dimensions of value previously unseen' if only we took the courag ...more
CAG_1337
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Perhaps if the author had spent time in the academy, he might have realized there is nothing particularly original or innovative in his thinking. This is "pop philosophy" and not likely to have any meaningful impact on the course of western thought.
Ietrio
Apr 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
Brain droppings. A shallow understanding of popular science gathered from blogs and magazines. Amusing. In a sad way.
Tadas Talaikis
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Hurt people hurt people."

Some policies are targeted at poor people, like banning to share food with homeless. When trying to defy this law, you're arrested.

2008 year crisis was accepted to be the pure fraud consequence, but Obama helped fraudsters to walk free with 700 billion dollars, and people were forced to cover their losses. (Not including widespread and false propaganda that blamed the poor, taking those fraudulent loans).

"Slaves do not write laws that enslave them."

If a person comes to
Jayd
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. For me it was educational in so many areas - and not necessarily because of the direct content in the book... but because I side researched a massive number of references and examples he cited to ensure it was fairly described and presented.. along the way I learned a lot more about the world we operate and live in.

I don’t whole-heartedly agree with some of the opening philosophies - but that in no way diminished the book for me and it led me to begin to examine some of my internal be
Abu-Isa Webb
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
With the promise of insight and intelligence, the book presents itself as a modern philosophical work for a new age, however it reads as a jumbled mess of ideologies and ideas that have been beaten to their death over the past 200 years, rather reminiscent of the God Delusion for its complete failure to bring modern arguments into focus. With little evidence of understanding the big names in philosophy, Martinez consistently makes assumptions without rigor to come to conclusions that are as vapi ...more
Christopher McQuain
***1/2 The project is admirable but seemingly too lengthy and far-ranging to hold the gifted, very intelligent author's focus; by the end, the book starts to read like a fairly random series of undigested quotes, citations, and repetitive points (often made better, and more clearly, earlier on). ***** for part 1; **** for part 2; *** for part 3.
Derek Bridge
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This feels like an important book. Let's put aside the fundamental philosophical (and, to me, uncontroversial) issue that none of us is free: there is no free will. Instead, let's focus on the rest of the book, which shows that neo-liberal capitalism has failed us in this century as badly as soviet-style communism failed in the last.

Society is organised for short-term profit benefiting, for the most part, the already wealthy. Inequality grows; the environment we share with each other and other s
Jemma
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good attempt to bring together economics, politics, environmentalism, behavourism and social policy in a coherent whole. It doesn't quite come off, which is unsurprising given the scope, but has many important sections. It was certainly the most convincing argument for Steady State Economics that I've seen. You will also see clearly why rewarding people for "their success" is not as obvious as you may think. It also pulls no punches about the seriousness of the environmental crisis and the tin ...more
Graham Clark
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an inspiring, depressing and hopeful book. It's easy to read the first part as a slightly naive dip into the concept of determinism, but this is used as an effective framing for the rest of the topics. Martinez provides some signposts for how to change the world, whilst emphasising empathy and compassion.

The main problem with this book is the dust jacket, which is plastered with quotes from those who edge towards the lunatic fringe - Susan Sarandon, Paul Mason, Russell Brand. Fortunatel
Ian Durham
I think the premise of this book is correct but I found his argument to be weak. I also found the book, in general, to be a bit scattershot. Nevertheless, my copy is now dog-eared because there are a lot of good nuggets buried within it. So, I would say it is worth a read, but that it should be supplemented by other sources.
Anna-Maria Penu
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aquí estoy, enfrascada en temas como el arte contemporáneo y la libertad. Porque sobre el mundo que se hunde, por ejemplo, no tengo nada nuevo que contar.

El mundo se está yendo, si no se ha ido ya, a pique. Está en pleno proceso de desintegración minuciosa, que parece lenta y a la vez rápida. Lo saben Piniowsky, Vila-Matas, yo y mucha más gente. Y estoy cansada de lanzar y escuchar las mismas opiniones de siempre sobre un tema tan poco interesante.

Aunque, claro, mirándolo así esto también es u
Mark James
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable achievement, comprehensive enough to cover philosophy, politics, media, environment, society and a host of other topics that converge on a single, critically important thesis.

Martinez's prose is clear and unencumbered, and his ideas are all well-supported with statistics, research citations and expert testimony.

It was a true joy to read this.
Peter
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Clearly lays out the problems facing the world and the people, corporations, and governments that are constricting our freedoms. While there is much in this book that will outrage the reader, the author does conclude the latter part of the book with a clear sense of compassion, and presents some very doable positive ways to increase our freedoms.
Mark Chilcott
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
My opinion is that this book explains the powerful forces at work in our society to keep us powerless so the rich can profit. The ideology of the liberal party is reflected in this book (again my opinion). Capitalism and pure greed are horrible, and have led us to self-destruction.
A compelling book for change and points to how we can make change happen.
Jeff Stern
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me forever to read. The pages are dense and intimidating, but also the material itself is tough to stomach. Martinez's viewpoints, while they often fly in the face of modern economics and capitalism, is (sadly) not actually that radical. The hardest part is implementation.
Clinquant
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect delivery of the first part (pointing out all that needs to be changed), I was in complete agreement and the examples listed are great.
Unfortunately falls down on the solutions, they seem a bit un-developed.
Perhaps I was hoping for a better chance of making a change.
Edit: actually, read this book to get your emotions up, then expand into other books for explorations of solutions: eg. Small is Beautiful, Ernst Schumacher
Bichara Sahely
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring! A MUST READ!

A manifesto for humanity's upliftment from the clutches of despair, disenchantment and illusion to pave the way for a new cultural reaffirmation and transformation.
Laurie Allee
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've rarely been as deeply moved by a book as I was by this brilliant philosophical manifesto. This is a blueprint for a joyous egalitarian future, and a vision for true progressive thinkers worldwide to reach for and build. I can't recommend this book highly enough. It will radicalize you.
Jenny Penny
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, at times bleak and at times inspiring, always thought provoking.
Richard Hurst
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunning book. Incredibly well researched. Makes you think!
Belle
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life-changing and unforgettable. My political awakening
Kim Willis
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nothing new, but nicely brought together.
Michael Hovdan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real eye-opener. Should be read after Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century"
Andrew Peck
Boring but important.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs (Provocations)
  • The Shock of the Anthropocene: The Earth, History and Us
  • Futurability: The Age of Impotence and the Horizon of Possibility
  • Women of the Revolution: Forty Years of Feminism
  • The Despot's Accomplice: How the West Is Aiding and Abetting the Decline of Democracy
  • The Speech: The Story Behind Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Dream
  • The End of Policing
  • On Liberty
  • Don't Let My Past Be Your Future
  • You Can't Read This Book: Censorship in an Age of Freedom
  • Radicals: Outsiders Changing the World
  • They Take Our Jobs!: And 20 Other Myths about Immigration
  • The North (And Almost Everything In It)
  • Extreme Cities: Climate Chaos and the Urban Future
  • Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence
  • Alt-America: The Rise of the Radical Right in the Age of Trump
  • Strike for America: Chicago Teachers Against Austerity
  • Building the Commune: Radical Democracy in Venezuela
“the innate need to direct our own lives, to learn and create new things, and to do better by ourselves and our world’.62 Numerous experiments have shown that not only do rewards reduce motivation, they actually hamper our performance. In” 1 likes
“That, in itself, is a beautiful victory, a wonderful manifestation of the impulse to be free. It’s a valuable victory too, sending ripples far and wide, revealing rich and beautiful dimensions of life that we so often forget. Music, paintings and stories can do this, but so can acts of courage, generosity and compassion. Such behaviour uplifts and inspires, interrupting and subverting our routines and expectations, challenging us to imagine something better and reminding us of the extraordinary potential within us all.” 0 likes