Start by marking “Trans Voices: Becoming Who You Are” as Want to Read:
Trans Voices: Becoming Who You Are

Trans Voices: Becoming Who You Are

Imagine what it must be like to feel you are a woman 'trapped' in a man's body. Or a man 'trapped' in a woman's body. And what happens if you decide to reject your birth gender and become a trans man or a trans woman?
Drawing on over one hundred interviews with individuals, this book is a compilation of the voices of those who have decided to undergo transition - both male-
Published January 19th 2017 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Trans Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trans Voices

Ben Babcock
I might need to stop requesting non-fiction books from NetGalley, because it seems like I haven’t been very successful with them. In this case I don’t know if I just didn’t read the description properly or didn’t understand it, but I thought Trans Voices: Becoming Who You Are was by a trans author and comprised longer-form interviews with transgender people. Instead, this inaccurately titled book is by a cisgender gay man who intersperses his medicalized, somewhat discomforting commentary with c ...more
Ceillie Simkiss
I received an eARC of this novel from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The author of this book is a gay social worker, not a trans person, so I was hesitant, but I gave it a shot because he had worked & interviewed trans people, including those who identify as non-binary.

"I firmly believe that awareness and knowledge break down ignorance and bigotry and can create a world where everybody can get on with their business without interference or prejudice, thus allow
Saturday's Child
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
An informative read.
Sally
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: transgender
Trans Voices is a book with a bit of a strange pedigree, written as it is by a gay man who was ashamed of how little he knew about trans people. It is a book written both for those friends, families, and allies who are interested in better understanding trans issues, and for those of us questioning (or just exploring) our own gender identity.

The book itself is very easy to read, balancing social and psychological theories with real trans experiences. In writing the book, Henry interviewed severa
Havelock
More of a book for cis allies than for trans people I think, but still interesting. However it does use a lot of 'born in the wrong body' type language and has a chapter on cross-dressers, so... yeah. (On the other hand though, chapter on non-binary people!)

Also, it had a chapter on discrimination and hate crime, and didn't mention anything about what trans people of colour face, which is a pretty big oversight considering how many black trans women get murdered each year, and which makes me thi
alex
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
i read this as an arc from netgalley! thanks netgalley :)

i read this during trans awareness week, which was cool. this book focuses on the stories of trans people (including nonbinary people!) in the UK and ireland.

i was really happy when reading the nonbinary section because i was unaware that one could identify both as cis and gender variant or gender non-conforming (like a butch lesbian). it made me feel a lot more secure and comfortable in my gender expression to see that in print.

this book
Charleigh
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to net galley for providing me with a copy of this book, in exchange for a honest review.

I am currently outlining a novel that features a transgender protagonist. When I saw this book, I thought it'd be perfect for me to get an idea about what it's like to be transgender.

This book contained a lot of information about all aspects of being transgender. It was interesting and I really enjoyed reading the personal stories. It has also given me a lot to think about in regards to my novel.

Jenny Stevens
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The way the story weaves makes me question who's narrative is being used, the trans people experiencing it or the gay man writing about it.

The books audience seems to be other gay men, not to be known as terrific allies of trans people. Introduction especially was horrible, I literally crossed our a few words that were just no okay. The way he talked about Trans people was very paternalistic and demeaning. The facts embedded in the work seemed based upon hearsay the way they were inserted in it,
Kayleigh Williams
Mainly targetted at cis-allies, not trans people. Some of the info is a bit out of date and it could have done with more in-depth research but for a beginners intro into trans people and the issues they face its pretty decent.
I don't think the cross-dresser's section should have been included, yes there needed to be a clarification between transwomen/drag queens/crossdressers. But all those interviews in this section where cismen, who largely described how their cross-dressing started out sexua
Alexia Polasky
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buy2
Thank you Netgalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for the ARC!
Had this book only contained the interviews without the inclusion of clinical or psychological of documents and studies, this would have been a five-star read. However, I have to say that I feel this is a great book for people curious about the subject with little knowledge going in. Coupled with a comprehensive glossary and explanations throughout each chapter, I believe it would be a good starting point.
Full review on my blog.
Lorna
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads, lgbt
Informative for those of us in the LGBT community who want to understand a little more about transgender people, but don't really have enough contact with them to satisfy our curiosity. I don't mean curiosity about where they go to the bathroom or what genitalia they have, but their everyday lives and what it feels like to look at your body and not see the person you are inside. Having read this book I can understand better what that must feel like. That makes this an important book.
Dave
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A truly powerful and important read. This book introduced me to a world I thought I knew and showed how much I still had to learn. Luckily, it was willing to do so in a way that will stay with me for a long time. The interviews and views expressed challenged my preconceptions and left me wiser and hopefully kinder. A must read for anyone looking to engage with discussions about gender identity particularly in the current climate
Blow Pop
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Content warnings: bad science, transphobic rhetoric

Review can be found here at Blow Pop's Book Reviews.
Brooke Alice
Nov 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Another book I started and could not get into. Was expecting the narrator to be trans but a gay male talking about his life and random facts, so I gave up pretty quickly.
Dan Jones
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
My first foray into trying to be a better trans ally. Although I found it useful, but wanted to hear more trans stories. Otherwise, a good introduction.
Virginia Rand
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really interesting. It gave me some things to think on.
Ishita
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Review:

The book is a rich account, comprising of over 100 interviews with individuals who come forward with their various challenges and experiences they faced while makig the journey of transitioning - from male-to-female and female-to-male. From a range of topics lole hormone treatments, reassignment surgeries, sex and sexuality, emotional and mental health, legal issues, the book is know-it-all guidance into the world of transgenders for those who are ignorant, biased, phobics or are current
Renee
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written in a somewhat academic way, the author explains many “technical” aspects of transgender life, while including snippets of personal narrative from transgender and/or gender nonconforming people. I think the book was very useful for understanding terminology and common obstacles faced by the transgender community. It could have been more relatable with more in-depth storytelling, I think.
Heath