Start by marking “Double Standards” as Want to Read:
Double Standards

Double Standards

Discover the sensual and sweeping power of love in New York Times bestselling author Judith McNaught’s contemporary romances that will make “you laugh, cry, and fall in love again” (RT Book Reviews)—now available for the first time on ebook.

In the exclusive, glittering world of business superstars, Nick Sinclair is a legend. The ruggedly handsome president of Global
Published November 1st 2016 by Pocket Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Double Standards, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Double Standards
Mo
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dropped from 4 to 3 on a re-read. Very cheesy. He was an ass and she was a drip.

----------------------------------------
Really liked this one.

Chantal ❤️
BOOK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE AS THE HERO IS A BIG CHEATER
He sees nothing wrong with having multiple sex partner and he was with another after the heroine. So this book is now a big NOOOO FOR ME.
I read this book when it first came out and thought it was AMAZING.
IT'S REALLY NOT!
However, the only good part of the whole book is when she talks down to him after he slept with somebody else after having sex with her.
He tells her it's no big deal that it was her first time.
Then, She tells him that he
Slavena
I really enjoyed this one. I know that Paradise rates so much higher and is considered best of Judith McNaught contemporary romance but I have to disagree. I liked this one better. May be its because there wasn’t so much “work” talk since this contemporary romance is old, no cell phones, people are using typewriters and women are wearing bolero, which is a clothing item most young people may not even recognize.

Nick Sinclair is a modern rake, successful, very sexy and with a trail of admiring
Splage
This book did it for me. I know it was outdated and definitely showed its age with some political incorrectness in sexual harassment in the office place, but I loved the story. I thought Nick was arrogant and a user and pulled one over on Lauren. He lead her to believe he was really into her and more than a one night stand. Since she was so innocent she didn't realize what a rake he was, but once she did she was strong and lead him on a merry chase. I liked how he'd try to make her jealous, yet ...more
Mary
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main guy was a...
description

I don't know about you but bad boys are bad for the heart. They are also not good for the consumption. Totally a big no no for certified evil man pretending to be a hero at the end. Nick was such a completely ugly illustration of a man. He was selfish, self-centered and egoistic. He had no redeeming point whatsoever. Perhaps, Ms. Judith Macnaught was trying to portray him as someone with a bad past because his mother abandoned him at a young age and as a result he treats
Henz
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alpha-male, romance
This is my first Judith McNaught book and though I have a problem with the story there's no denying that the author knows how to weave her words and pull a reader's attention. Her lyrical prose is stunning. I am in love with it however I am not in love with the story's ending or the Main Character's love interest.

Like I said, I love alpha males but I just really can't put up with guys manhandling women. There's just no excuse unless it's use for pleasure. I understand how couples are into kinky
Esther
4.5 Rating.

I had some issues with Nick.

Absolutely adored Lauren.

Karen
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well the story was intriguing, but unfortunately the characters were lacking. The book was a bit dated, as it was published in 1984, but that really didn't bother me. What did was the lack of connection I felt towards the characters. The story did kind of pick up near the end when the heroine finally developed a little backbone. But the hero never really did much for me which is rare for me among JM's books. All in all, I think I may have been expecting just a bit more from her. I suppose ...more
Barbara
Jan 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 Star...

What to say, what to say....

As you all know I'm a huge McNaught fan, but this one was an absolute, no way around it, not even going to give a sympathy star for one of my favorite authors...Stinker! And I had a feeling it would be after the first 2 chapters.

Nick was great but I didn't like Lauren in the least bit. The storyline seemed very rushed and the chemistry between the two was at a minimum luke warm...

If this is your first McNaught book please take my advice and do not read this
Debbie DiFiore
I read it and while I didn't love it, I didn't totally hate it. H was a pig and seduced the h cold bloodedly. He then dumped her and went back to his manwhore ways. I gave it two stars simply because the h made me laugh. When she said she would let him deflower her daughter when she came of age his reaction was priceless. I laughed so hard. He was a jerk and I wish he would have grovelled more. What really pissed me off is that he already had Made plans for three weeks off with another woman ...more
Sophie ♥
“He interrupted her with a boyish grin. "I promise I'll never wear your clothes, and I won't steal your allowances or your boyfriends either." Lauren couldn't help starting to smile as he finished, "And if you swear never to call me Nicky again, I won't bite you."
She stepped aside and let him in, then took his jacket and hung it in the closet. When she turned, Nick was leaning against the closed front door, his arms crossed over his chest. "On second thought," he grinned, "I take part of that
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Nicole
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
I didn't like Nick much at the beginning of the story. He's a douche. Further, he is the typical modern romance stereotype: dark, brooding, self made billionaire, six feet three, broad shoulders, etc. Not very imaginative.
The heroine seems very grown up for her age. One wonders sometimes when she comes up with replies that would more a thirty something heroine instead a twenty year old.
Besides the characters, I liked the story. You saw the train wreck coming from the start and Mrs. McNaught
Zeek
This one totally follows the author's McNaughizing plots, with the hero eventually going into jerk mode over the big misunderstanding then having to come crawling back on his knees when he realizes how wrong he was.

But c'mon, who doesnt like a man brought to his knees over his own actions? So, though it's certainly not one of her best, I liked it. (I read the entire thing in one sitting.)

Imo, a "bad" Judith Mcnaught, is better than most that are considered "good" in romance novels now-a-days.
Amy Sanders
Another reviewer pointed out that this was definitely an 80's book, as an employer who treated an employee this way would have made the girl very wealthy.
His treatment of her from the beginning was terrible. She was very naive. I was glad to see that she stood up to him for the majority of the book. There were some of her comments that I wanted to stand up and cheer.

The end was too abrupt. I know this is JM's earlier writing, but I know that some of her newer offerings don't always give enough
Helena
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was kind of confusing and frustrating for me. With "Whitney, my love" I knew I hated the book and its characters. This one I liked and disliked at the same time. It felt like a rollercoaster that went from "Oh, I actually like this scene and the character" to "I hate this and feel like dnf-ing it"
Anne OK
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My very first McNaught book. The book is very dated now but the story and the characters captivated me from the first page. I was into anything written by JM after "Double Standards."
Anita
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith McNaught is one of my favorite authors. I loved her historical-romance and well as her contemporary romances books. This one is an early one and it's not hard to believe this was published in 1984, it is very dated and doesn't stand the test of time very well at all. I haven't read a alpha, jerk hero like Nick in a long time, but if I remember my Judith McNaught history correctly, she had some doozies, but always redeemed them by the love of a good, solid, beautiful heroine. But, I do ...more
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; FEB 22, 2014
Narrator: Margaret Ball

I love these oldies. Even when I know it'll be like a train wreck approaching and I still can't look the other way.

And so it was with DS, written in 1986. The good thing about it, when I am brave enough to tackle a romance written in the bad ol '80s is that I can't complain about any nasty surprises. I am prepared for the nasty and all that I judge the book on is whether the story's compelling and whether I find the male lead attractive (or
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was originally published in 1984. It was a hoot to read chick lit from more than 20 years ago:

* Lauren is a secretary with stenographic skills and uses a typewriter ... not a computer in sight!
* Lauren wears velour shorts with a matching top ... I remember that fashion!
* Lauren drives a six month old Trans Am.
* Nick is an experienced 37-year-old; he's intense and carrying the hurt of the abandonment of his mother ... our typical hero from that time.
* Lauren is a 23-year-old virgin (our
Sera
4.5 stars. An epilogue would have made this one 5 stars I think.
LJ
Double Standard - NR
McNaught, Judith

In the exclusive, glittering world of business superstars, Nick Sinlair was a legend...

The ruggedly handsome president of Global Industries handled his business the way he handled his women-with charm, daring, and ruthless self-control. A man used to the very best, Nick hired Laura Danner, and assumed that the proud beauty would soon be another easy conquest. But Laura's flashing wit and rare spirit dazzle him-and slowly, against his will, he was intrigued,
LuvGirl
This turned out to be an okay read after all. It started really slow for me, but definitely picked up in the middle. I loved the heroine. She was an innocent, but she didn't make the arrogant hero walk all over her. He got more than he bargained for with her. I was cracking up at some of the things she said to the hero when he peed her off. It was great to see him get put in his place for once! The ending was driven by a big misunderstanding which I hate, so it took away from a higher rating, ...more
Nonieღserenity2bliss
As much as I loved this one, it kinda makes me wonder if JM actually wrote it because it lacks the maturity that I usually find her writing.

As far as contemporary romance go, the story truly delivers. But there's no element of surprise as the plot is pretty cliche and cheesy. Not that it is bad thing, especially when your own love life is non-existence. So, this is a great book to be used as an escapism :)

Maybe it is just me because I can't seem to get enough of JM's story, but I find the
Jenny
May 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was about to start reading this but it seems I have read it a few years ago and I wasn't impressed. Not sure why but I remember I didn't like the main characters.
Chanel
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Sometimes you just need an oldie but a goodie. I debated whether to reread a different McNaught book instead of this one but I'm part of a reading challenge and there's not a lot of January left so I chose this one instead. Let me tell you, I'm so glad I did! You ever remember a book but not quite remember it all at the same time? This was that book for me. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster. I wasn't ready.

The premise is simple. Philip Whitworth suspects he has a spy in his ranks because
Tracy
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is 4 for me.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I finish a book by Judith McNaught. I really love her writing and she is by far one of my favourite authors.
My problem is that when I start one of her books u find it hard to put down and I usually stay up until the wee hours of the night. I pay the price dearly the next day. I can't wait to read her books and then I am sad when I finish one because it means there are fewer left I her collection for me to devour - so I try and savour
Thenia
The story of Lauren, a naive young woman trying to help her family out of debt, and Nick, a handsome and wealthy company president whom she falls for.

Nick is enchanted by Lauren when they first meet and pursues her until she gives in to his charms, but although Lauren falls head over heels for him, a weekend is all he wants with her, breaking her heart.

She uses that experience to grow a backbone and doesn't let the handsome jerk walk all over her, which gives her plenty of cookie points. At the
Aly is so frigging bored
I wanted to punch all the characters at least once...
Alissa
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember why I loved this book when I was younger - it has an a-hole lead you don’t want to love, but you just can’t seem to help yourself. Story of my life.

Though I can see and agree with some the issues many have pointed out about this book, I’m still giving it 4 nostalgic stars for younger me who absolutely fell in love with romance books full of angst, misunderstandings and drama because of books just like this one, and especially by authors like JM.

• Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught | Summary & Study Guide
  • Prince Charming
  • Can't Let Go
  • After the Night
  • The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies, #1)
  • The Prize
  • Shades of Twilight
  • Man of My Dreams (Sherring Cross, #1)
  • Guardian Angel (Crown's Spies, #2)
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • Fires of Winter (Haardrad Viking Family, #1)
  • Just Imagine
  • Glitter Baby (Wynette, Texas, #0.5)
  • Nothing But This (Broken Pieces, #2)
  • Death Angel
  • The Divorce (The Relationship Quo, #1)
  • Rebellious Desire
  • The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1)
You can find Judith McNaught in facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorjudith...

Judith McNaught is a #1 New York Times Best-Selling Author, with more than forty million copies of her novels in print, in over eighty countries and more than thirty languages. She was also the first female executive producer at a CBS radio station. McNaught is credited with inventing the modern Regency Historical
“What hap­pens to me if this slip­per fits?"
"I turn you into a hand­some frog.”
26 likes
“How am I doing so far?" she asked, forcing a cheerful lightness into her voice.
"You're doing very well," Nick's lazy voice mocked. "I'm half convinced that I'm invisible.”
15 likes