Start by marking “Mansfield and Me: A Graphic Memoir” as Want to Read:
Mansfield and Me: A Graphic Memoir

Mansfield and Me: A Graphic Memoir

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Part memoir, part biography, Laing charts her life and journey to being a writer against Katherine Mansfield's own journey. An examination of how our lives connect to those of our personal heroes.
Published October 16th 2016 by Victoria University Press (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mansfield and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mansfield and Me

Colleen Fauchelle
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
The weather, The earthquakes and not feeling well. It was good to hide in a easy to read and interesting graphic memoir. I liked that Sarah Laing did Katherin Mansfield's part in black and white.
Ange Blossom
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely lovely lovely, more please!
Simon Sweetman
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant graphic memoir that is part potted-biography of Mansfield, part personal memoir of/for Laing and a blurring of the two characters and some fantasy sections; stunningly honest and real and exquisitely put together - a real marriage of/between text and images - this is a brilliant book.
Blair
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This graphic memoir follows the template established by Art Spiegelman in Maus, with the shifts back and forward in time, but with the past narrative in this case not strictly connected to the author's present. Katherine Mansfield's life provides some parallels to Laing's efforts to become an author and overcome the isolation of New Zealand. The story has a lot of resonance for me, having grown up and gone to university in Palmerston North at the same time as the author, and I know some of the p ...more
Marcus Hobson
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sarah Laing's book works brilliantly on lots of levels.
It is a great story of her own literary journey, contrasted with events from the life of Katherine Mansfield who acts as her literary heroine.

My own knowledge of Mansfield is sadly limited to having read a couple of her short stories, but this densely packed book gives me lots of back story and sent me off in search or more. It has certainly made me want to read more of those stories but also read some biography too.
On a completely different
Kathryn Beek
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a treat. A moving insight into the lives of two important New Zealand writers, rendered with humour and accompanied by fresh and evocative illustrations.
Barnaby Haszard Morris
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me some time to get used to switching back and forth between the Laing and Mansfield narratives (I should say there is an admirable effort to connect the two, thematically and directly), but over time, a real sense of lives lived and time passing builds up. The final section is surprisingly cathartic, even beautiful. That's a pretty good word for this book: beautiful. You'd need more words to uncover the depth of intimate detail, the examination of creative success, the feminist strength ...more
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am now a convert to graphic novels! I cut my work short and read this in one day. I completely related to the cultural references in this memoir and having read all of Sarah Laing's other books it was fascinating to have their "backstory" outlined in this book. I can't wait for the next one.

I am also now inspired to re-read some Katherine Mansfield stories and am tracking down her memoir of her trip to the Urewera.
Jonathon Hagger
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved every page of this book. The beautiful combination of lovely writing, introspection by the author, intertwining the story with Katherine Mansfield’s life and colourful pages. All combine to make for a wonderful story.
Aubrey
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I personally have never read any Mansfield, and wasn't really aware of her life. I found it trying hard to find similarities between the two women's lives and not really succeeding.
Caitlin
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful painting!
Daeron
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it!
Philippa
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this engaging book. It felt very authentic as a memoir, and the author bravely shared stuff about her life, growing up, the awkwardness and naivete of youth, relationships with women and men, and developing her creativity. Running parallel, and interspersed with Sarah Laing's life, are biographical scenes from the life of Laing's idol (not quite the right word) Katherine Mansfield.
I liked that Laing used black and white for Mansfield and colour for her own life, which helped di
Kate
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this, every minute of it. A treasure!
Keen
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never read anything by Mansfield, but that was clearly no obstacle to enjoying this work. I suppose it’s easy to draw comparisons with the work of Sarah Beschdel, what with the confessional, autobiographical, Sapphic perspective, done in a contemporary graphic form.

Laing works her own story alongside that of Mansfield and mostly seems to pull this off with only the occasional lapse of flow here and there. The drawing is not overly crisp but it is clever and does its job nicely, though I
Helen Varley
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
this is a lovely book, for the most part a gentle interweaving of katherine mansfield's story with that of the author, beautifully illustrated and imaginatively rendered. there were a couple of places where i found the handwriting difficult to read & this tripped up the flow, and once or twice there were odd things in the chronology that i couldn't find a reason for. however overall it was a great read - until the end, which felt like the author had run out of steam & reached for a clich ...more
Marg
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quirky and clever with a lovely interweaving of Mansfield's life, the stories and the author's own biographical connections. The illustrations are funny, bold and very appealing. A truly original book.
Mandy Hager
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved Sarah Laing's self-effacing honesty and her willingness to open herself to the world, while at the same way bringing Katherine Mansfield to life in a way never done before. It's clever, witty, frank, moving and has converted me to the graphic novel genre.
Gabrielle
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great but slightly frustrated at times by size of handwriting in speech bubbles
Jenni McLaughlin

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99