Start by marking “Golden Dragon (Code Black, #1)” as Want to Read:
Golden Dragon (Code Black, #1)

Golden Dragon

(Code Black #1)

Romance, Intrigue, and Airships - Code Black Book 1

Miriam Kodio Blackwell is caught between East and West. When a Code Black arises she is recruited by Lord Q, head of British intelligence and airships, who helps Miriam escape Iran only to press her into service of the Crown. Will Miriam survive when she's put aboard the airship Nonesuch—with her captain, crew, and a Hell-
Published October 30th 2016 by E. Ulett

To ask other readers questions about Golden Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Dragon

Start your review of Golden Dragon (Code Black, #1)
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ecopy from Ryder Author Resources in exchange for an honest review.

I'm so glad I decided to give the Code Black series by V.E. Ulett a chance because it was absolutely delightfully charming. Both books could be read as standalones as they are quite self contained, but I have a feeling that your reading experience will benefit from reading them in order as a series. I enjoyed getting to know Miriam, Lord Q, Captain Thorpe, and all the rest of the crew of the airship the Nonesuch. Th
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"Golden Dragon" is the first in a steampunk series geared for YA readers by V.E. Ulett, an author whose previous writing has been in the historical fiction realm. This book is historical fantasy and opens a very exciting new world for readers. Miriam thinks danger has passed when she escapes Iran until she is forced into service to the British crown. Miriam has to rise above her initial fears in order to forge a new life for herself aboard the Nonesuch, a ship that has much more than meets the e ...more
Richard Abbott
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Golden Dragon, by V.E. Ulett, is an alternate history story, set in what in our world would be the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars. Familiar characters like Sir Edward Pellew jostle alongside a steampunk setting where a handful of ships can leave the ocean's surface and set out in flight. It's a curiously compelling vision - the technical advances are handled with a light touch rather than overwhelming the story, and the end result is close enough to this world that one can easily imagine that ...more
Amelia
A fascinating if sometimes scattered steampunk adventure alternate history with sailing on the high seas and sailing over the high seas, visiting exotic places, and battles, mysteries, danger, spies and pirates, oh my. And a little romance. Very entertaining.
Helen Hollick
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

"... an enjoyable book, with an absorbing vision of an alternate technology that seems credible, and characters with whom one can readily identify."
Kathleen
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Espionage and costume changes abound! An unusual setting. There were a few issues with missing hyphens and excessive comma splices, but it may simply be a style choice. I very much enjoyed how the romance was handled - it's not forced on the reader, but allowed to develop naturally. The airship design seems well thought out. A more diverse cast than you'd normally see in steampunk!
One demerit for "was this sexual assault scene /really/ necessary?"
Diana
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Think Steampunk James Bond, but without the misogyny. Thoroughly enjoyed the story. The main character is a wonderful strong role model.
Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~
You can check out this review and more on my blog.

*I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review and this has in no way affected my review.*

I'm not gonna rate this because I think this book is super well written and it just wasn't for me.

Like I said, this book is super well written and there aren't really any issues with the book that don't have anything to do with my personal reading. I think the reasons I got stuck with this book lie in what I didn't understand.

This was a bo
Brooke Banks
Review to come! I love the author's note.
-------------
Update: Since it's been so long, I don't think I can do a full proper review but do I have a couple of notes.

↝Found the begining very confusing and all over the place.
↝Took awhile to get into
↝Felt like I jumped into the second or third book of a series.
↝There is a lot going on.
↝Mirim made some disagreeable choices, and some that redeemed her as well
↝Did eventually get into and flew through the last half, though I couldn't rightly summariz
MarytheBookLover
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I was not into this book. I felt the author was all over the place with Miriam. Started out good and got you hooked and then the writing just feel through. I spent time wondering if this was supposed to be a damsel in distress or not...I still haven't figured it out. It was just weird. I just didn't like the story. I did however like the idea of the story.
Araminta
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: give-aways
It was well written period drama. It's romantic and witty, fun and exciting. Expect to be thrilled. Miriam is recruited to complete a rescue mission, does she manage to complete said mission ? you will need to read to find out.
Julie Rose
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book - it was exciting, clever, and very inventive. Such a great mix of Patrick O'Brian and a steampunk aesthetic, with a wonderfully diverse cast.
Destiny Jackson
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book but in the beginning I was confused but I reread it and it was amazing. This book is about Miriam a girl who is caught between the east and west and then is helped escape Iran only to help find an ally duchess.
Chad Thumann
Joanne
William Bitner Jr.
Dianne
Oct 28, 2016
V.E. Ulett is a long time resident of California, but spends most of her time in a romantic nineteenth century world of airships and adventure. When she isn't head down in a first hand account of capture by pirates, battle at sea, or experimental flight, V.E. is an ordinary Silicon Valley warrior. Rare leisure hours are spent with her own small Hell-Cats.

Code Black (2 books)
  • White Elephant (Code Black, #2)