Start by marking “Stasi Wolf (Karin Müller, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stasi Wolf (Karin Müller, #2)

Stasi Wolf

(Karin Müller #2)

How do you solve a murder when you can't ask any questions? The gripping new thriller from the bestselling author of Stasi Child.

East Germany, 1975. Karin Müller, sidelined from the murder squad in Berlin, jumps at the chance to be sent south to Halle-Neustadt, where a pair of infant twins have gone missing.

But Müller soon finds her problems have followed her. Halle-Neusta
Published February 9th 2017 by Zaffre

To ask other readers questions about Stasi Wolf, please sign up.
Laura Crabtree Was it Malkus? Young couldn't have her see his face because she would've known his 'amber eyes'.

Start your review of Stasi Wolf (Karin Müller, #2)
Paromjit
This is a bleak, intense and well researched novel set in 1975 East Germany. It captures that particular period of time in an authentic manner and what it must have been like to live in that country. Halle-Neustadt is a new town built outside Berlin, and it is a prestigious place as far as the government is concerned. It has been planned to levels of details that seem unimaginable, such as what constitutes acceptable behaviour from its citizens. It is to be the blueprint for other planned towns ...more
Emma
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I thought this second novel would be the one in which David Young really impressed me, but it wasn't to be. If anything, I think Stasi Child was the better book.

Once again, the nightmare of Stasi control and manipulation is done well but the plot is more than a little silly. I'm putting the rest under a spoiler tag so don't look at it if you want to read this book.

(view spoiler)
Susan
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book featuring Karin Muller, after the excellent “Stasi Child.” We meet up with Muller again in East Berlin, 1975; a few months after the events in the first novel. Having turned down a job in State Security, Muller finds herself divorced and side lined at work. No longer working in the murder squad, her career seems to have hit something of a dead end. However, she is then approached about a difficult, and sensitive, case in the new town of Halle-Neustadt.

Halle-Neustadt is a
Richard
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A strong second novel which although has a returning set of characters can be read out of sequence. Even as a standalone novel, however, I am certain if you enjoy this book as much as I did you will be getting Stasi Child to read as soon as possible.
There is something about this period that adds a layer of menace to the intrigue and lowers the room temperature as you read into the book.
The protagonist is a young female detective, head of a murder squad in East Berlin. In book she managed to ups
Sandy
Detective Karen Müller is dying of boredom. After her last case with the homicide division of Kripo, she turned down a job with the Stasi (secret police) & was “rewarded” with a transfer to petty crimes. So when she’s asked to look into the disappearance of newborn twins, she accepts but with reservations. She’ll have to travel to Halle-Neustadt, a newly built town outside of East Berlin. And she’ll be under the watchful eye of the Stasi.

It ’s 1975 & Halle-Neustadt is the pride & joy of the DDR’
Miss M
Pretty ridiculous plot - all of the 'coincidences' involving the lead detective's personal life. Only thing that saves it is an unusual setting. The first book really was promising but not sure I'll follow up with the next in series.
Patricia

Stasi Wolf is book #2 in the Karin Muller series. What I love about this series is the unique setting of East Berlin Germany during 1975, 1976 when the Stasi (State Security of the Republic aka secret police) are in full control. Karin Muller works for the Kripo which is essentially the police department but the Stasi are never far away.

Oberleutnant Muller is assigned a case in the new city of Halle-Neustadt, a shiny example of a workers city where everyone has a new apartment and all t
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Over two years ago. Don't judge.

I really enjoyed this second volume in the Oberleutnant Karin Muller series. Sure, it was farfetched and I had to stretch my believability factor quite a bit, but it was a summer read, and it sure was exciting.

Soviet Russia and it's Eastern Bloc nations fascinate me, and I'm not sure why. I'll eat up just about anything to do with the Soviet Union, from spy thrillers to nonfiction to police procedura
Liz Barnsley
Loved this again from David Young. The setting is brilliantly described as is the era. And the thriller/mystery element wasn't bad either (for wasn't bad read really good)

Full review to follow.

NO REALLY. I promise. ABSOLUTELY.

It will not take me another year to write a review

(David if you are reading this don't forget that blog post)

Christine
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been longing for a little bit more Karin Muller. Really hoping and begging for more! I adored Stasi Child, the historical crime phenomena by David Young. Stasi Wolf is the highly anticipated follow up!

We travel in time back to 1975 and Eastern Germany. The political landscape is Communist Germany. This an enclosed society, where the person next to you might be spying and reporting back to the Stasi. In Stasi Child, we met the amazing Karin Muller. Karin is working within the system, in the
Amanda
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review to follow shortly. A brilliant read.
John Morris
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Enjoyed the setting of the book in the old East Germany but found the plot confusing (lots of movement to and fro in the timeline) and the plot too implausible by far
Nick Davies
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Many aspects of this were very impressive - the 1970s East German setting and the oppressive atmosphere associated with this was very well done, and the characters (esp. the central key protagonists) were described and made very real. Comparisons with Robert Harris 'Archangel' and Tom Rob Smith's Leo Demidov series are understandable, and I also thought there were elements of some of the Nordic crime I've read too.

The problem was the plot. The central storyline was good, but something about the
Nooilforpacifists
Wha hap'nd? David Young writes a promising cold war thriller, with a unique personal touch, then blows the sequel to smitherinenes. Absurd plot. Crazy coincidences. A forced parallel between the mystery and the personal life of the protagonist--which, btw, seemed obvious in both instances from the beginning.

With any luck, this is sophomore jinx, and Young will fire back with something more like Stasi Child. Because Stasi Wolf is a huge disappointment.
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
For all my reviews, visit Clues and Reviews
www.cluesandreviews.wordpress.com

Stasi Wolf, the second novel in the Karin Muller series by David Young, follows Oberleutnant Karin Muller on a new case. Set in 1975 communist Germany, she must determine the identity of a child snatcher when a pair of infant twins goes missing.

I am a fan of historical fiction so when I found this historical thriller, I knew I needed to pick it up! Equal parts police procedural and mystery; this fast paced journey had me
Warrengent
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ng
David young as surpassed my expectations in this novel a main protagonist that is unique and incredibly interesting Davids writing makes you feel you are in the environments and time of the seventies a master of his craft can not wait for more
Denise
Apr 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
With her career having stalled after she turned down an invitation to work for the Stasi, experienced detective Karin Müller is finally given a chance to get back on the murder squad - albeit somewhere other than in Berlin. A pair of newborn twins were abducted from the hospital in Halle-Neustadt, with one of the babies turning up dead soon after. Hindered by Stasi interference, Karin tries her utmost to find the missing infant alive while simultaneously dealing with revelations from her own pas ...more
Cold War Conversations Podcast
Episode 2 of an excellent and unusually located police procedural set in the former East Germany.

Another outing for criminal investigator Oberleutnant Karin Muller, this time away from her hometown of Berlin to a difficult, and sensitive case in the politically sensitive new town of Halle-Neustadt.

Two newborn babies have been abducted from a local hospital, however Muller finds that her investigative options are limited by the Stasi in an effort to reduce any embarrassment to the authorities.

Dav
HalcyonDaze
Hmm.... I would have loved this to have been a better read - the time and setting, what was hidden behind the Wall for all those decades - I got that with Muller #1 - but nowhere near as much with this one. The dialogue sometimes tripped and tumbled quite badly at times - I almost grimaced - and the glimpse behind the Curtain revealing..... well not that much.... the backdrop almost too grey and monotone to provide enough colour to the story.
And yes.... the weaving of circumstances and plot - w
Zoe Hall
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Where do I begin? I gave Stasi Child 5 brilliant stars and for me, this book was even better. So here we are, 5 stars again!

I absolutely love David Young's ability to construct a setting so immersed in the history of its time within which the undertone carries a pretty decent thriller - for what it's worth.

Babies are going missing and Karin and her team cannot ask any questions. The investigation begins in secrecy. The Ministry for State Security (The Stasi) are trying to keep the peace, as it
Alisa
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I gave 5 stars to the first book in this series, Stasi Child, which I recall finding hard to put down at the time.
Stasi Wolf was also "unputdownable" but not nearly as good as its predecessor. The plot verged on the ridiculous, unfortunately. There were far too many coincidences to make it appear credible.
I'm giving this one 3.5 stars but rounding it up to 4 as it was still one that I was reluctant to put down. Silly plot aside, it was nevertheless a good story. Karin Müller has grown on me, th
Elite Group
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Stretches credulity past breaking point.
The plot is set in the 70s before the fall of the Berlin wall and the reunification of Germany. Karin Mueller is used to heading up an East German CID murder team but is being punished for past misdemeanours. When an opportunity is offered to her to leave her dull job she decides to accept, even though she is well aware it might be a poisoned chalice.
Karin is despatched from Berlin to Halle-Neustadt to investigate the abduction of infant twins from the l
Mary
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The first in the series was a good read this even better. I grew fond of the lead character during my time with her. The sense of place for Ha-Neu and Oberhof was immersing. Really looking forward to the third instalment.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was hugely excited to read the author's first novel Stasi Child as it is such a unique historical setting and I found the novel fascinating. So when Stasi Wolf's release was announced, I was again keen to see where the series would go & be back reading about Karin Muller, who as a feisty female protagonist is fast becoming one of my all time favourite characters!
The novel opens with a harrowing prologue, Which sets the pace that this series just got a whole lot darker! We are transported to 19
Christine Lapping
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Kate
Atmospheric and utterly compelling - and extremely difficult to put down.

Marina
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
David Young was a recent guest on my blog and we all enjoyed his story about his fake East German police car. I really liked his writing and his out-of-ordinary storytelling and decided to try his books. Stasi Wolf is second in the series. I haven’t read the first one, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying book number two. When you put David Young and out-of-ordinary plots together, you get a murder set up in 1975 in East Germany and a female detective to solve it. Perfect!

The story starts with
David Lowther
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stasi Wolf is David Young's follow to the DDR set thriller Stasi Child and is equally as good. The central character is again Karin Müller. The plot, however, is entirely different. Here Karin and her team are deployed from Berlin to Halle to investigate the disappearance of a set of baby twins. Once again her efforts are hampered by the Stasi and we don't know why until the very end.

Young uses the Camilla Lackberg technique of tracing the origins of the possible crimes into the past and it work
Spyros Egkarchos
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have also read "Stasi Child" (greek edition) which was ok, but didn't have me surprised at all. Nevertheless, what I appreciated and liked from this book was that the combination of history with fiction is perfectly done. I also loved the author's note at the end of the book mentioning real facts about East Germany. So, when I accidentally came by "Stasi Wolf" (eng ed.), I decided to go for it. The book met my expectations and had me keep reading with an ever-increasing interest. What I love a ...more
Judith
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely enthralling, it will have you desperate to turn the pages to find out what is happening and who will be behind the heart rending crimes Karin Muller and her team are trying to solve.
Recommended without reservation. Just read it!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• V2: A Novel of World War II
  • Stasi Vice (Reim #1)
  • Sea of Spies (The Richard Prince Thrillers Book 2)
  • Vienna Spies
  • Hitler's Secret (Tom Wilde #4)
  • Prince of Spies (Richard Prince Thrillers, #1)
  • Official Secrets (Novak and Mitchell #1)
  • Berlin Centre (Reim #3)
  • The Spies of Zurich (Alex Kovacs, #2)
  • The Berlin Spies
  • The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • Ostland
  • Hitler's Peace
  • To the Lions
  • Black Sun
  • Moskva
  • The Cassandra Sanction (Ben Hope, #12)
  • The Elegant Lie
David Young was born near Hull and – after dropping out of a Bristol University science degree - studied Humanities at Bristol Polytechnic specialising in Modern History. Temporary jobs cleaning ferry toilets and driving a butcher's van were followed by a career in journalism with provincial newspapers, a London news agency, and the BBC’s international newsrooms where he led news teams for the Wor ...more

Karin Müller (6 books)
  • Stasi Child (Karin Müller, #1)
  • A Darker State (Karin Müller #3)
  • Stasi 77 (Karin Müller #4)
  • Stasi Winter (Karin Müller, #5)
  • The Stasi Game (Karin Müller #6)