Start by marking “Stasi Wolf (Karin Müller, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stasi Wolf (Karin Müller, #2)

Stasi Wolf

(Karin Müller #2)

How do you solve a murder when you can't ask any questions? The gripping new thriller from the bestselling author of Stasi Child.

East Germany, 1975. Karin Müller, sidelined from the murder squad in Berlin, jumps at the chance to be sent south to Halle-Neustadt, where a pair of infant twins have gone missing.

But Müller soon finds her problems have followed her. Halle-Neusta
Published February 9th 2017 by Zaffre

To ask other readers questions about Stasi Wolf, please sign up.
Laura Crabtree Was it Malkus? Young couldn't have her see his face because she would've known his 'amber eyes'.

Paromjit
This is a bleak, intense and well researched novel set in 1975 East Germany. It captures that particular period of time in an authentic manner and what it must have been like to live in that country. Halle-Neustadt is a new town built outside Berlin, and it is a prestigious place as far as the government is concerned. It has been planned to levels of details that seem unimaginable, such as what constitutes acceptable behaviour from its citizens. It is to be the blueprint for other planned towns ...more
Maria Clara
3.5 muy cerca del 4.

Después de leer el primer libro me quedé con muchas ganas de leer el segundo y, aunque este me ha gustado, me ha faltado algo. ¿El qué? Ni idea.
Emma
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I thought this second novel would be the one in which David Young really impressed me, but it wasn't to be. If anything, I think Stasi Child was the better book.

Once again, the nightmare of Stasi control and manipulation is done well but the plot is more than a little silly. I'm putting the rest under a spoiler tag so don't look at it if you want to read this book.

(view spoiler)
Susan
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book featuring Karin Muller, after the excellent “Stasi Child.” We meet up with Muller again in East Berlin, 1975; a few months after the events in the first novel. Having turned down a job in State Security, Muller finds herself divorced and side lined at work. No longer working in the murder squad, her career seems to have hit something of a dead end. However, she is then approached about a difficult, and sensitive, case in the new town of Halle-Neustadt.

Halle-Neustadt is a
Sandy
Detective Karen Müller is dying of boredom. After her last case with the homicide division of Kripo, she turned down a job with the Stasi (secret police) & was “rewarded” with a transfer to petty crimes. So when she’s asked to look into the disappearance of newborn twins, she accepts but with reservations. She’ll have to travel to Halle-Neustadt, a newly built town outside of East Berlin. And she’ll be under the watchful eye of the Stasi.

It ’s 1975 & Halle-Neustadt is the pride & joy
Richard
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A strong second novel which although has a returning set of characters can be read out of sequence. Even as a standalone novel, however, I am certain if you enjoy this book as much as I did you will be getting Stasi Child to read as soon as possible.
There is something about this period that adds a layer of menace to the intrigue and lowers the room temperature as you read into the book.
The protagonist is a young female detective, head of a murder squad in East Berlin. In book she managed to ups
Miss M
Pretty ridiculous plot - all of the 'coincidences' involving the lead detective's personal life. Only thing that saves it is an unusual setting. The first book really was promising but not sure I'll follow up with the next in series.
Pat

Stasi Wolf is book #2 in the Karin Muller series. What I love about this series is the unique setting of East Berlin Germany during 1975, 1976 when the Stasi (State Security of the Republic aka secret police) are in full control. Karin Muller works for the Kripo which is essentially the police department but the Stasi are never far away.

Oberleutnant Muller is assigned a case in the new city of Halle-Neustadt, a shiny example of a workers city where everyone has a new apartment and all t
Liz Barnsley
Loved this again from David Young. The setting is brilliantly described as is the era. And the thriller/mystery element wasn't bad either (for wasn't bad read really good)

Full review to follow.

NO REALLY. I promise. ABSOLUTELY.

It will not take me another year to write a review

(David if you are reading this don't forget that blog post)

Christine
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been longing for a little bit more Karin Muller. Really hoping and begging for more! I adored Stasi Child, the historical crime phenomena by David Young. Stasi Wolf is the highly anticipated follow up!

We travel in time back to 1975 and Eastern Germany. The political landscape is Communist Germany. This an enclosed society, where the person next to you might be spying and reporting back to the Stasi. In Stasi Child, we met the amazing Karin Muller. Karin is working within the system, in the
Amanda
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review to follow shortly. A brilliant read.
Amiad
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
קארין מולר, הבלשית המזרח־גרמנית, מתאוששת מאירועי הספר הקודם ונקראת לחקירת חטיפתם של תאומים בעיר לדוגמה האלה-נוישטאדט. וגם הפעם השטאזי מעורב עמוק בחקירה.

רומן מתח היסטורי נחמד. האווירה ההיסטורית פחות טובה מהספר הקודם וגם עלילת המתח פחות מעניינת.
Nick Davies
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Many aspects of this were very impressive - the 1970s East German setting and the oppressive atmosphere associated with this was very well done, and the characters (esp. the central key protagonists) were described and made very real. Comparisons with Robert Harris 'Archangel' and Tom Rob Smith's Leo Demidov series are understandable, and I also thought there were elements of some of the Nordic crime I've read too.

The problem was the plot. The central storyline was good, but something about the
Nooilforpacifists
Wha hap'nd? David Young writes a promising cold war thriller, with a unique personal touch, then blows the sequel to smitherinenes. Absurd plot. Crazy coincidences. A forced parallel between the mystery and the personal life of the protagonist--which, btw, seemed obvious in both instances from the beginning.

With any luck, this is sophomore jinx, and Young will fire back with something more like Stasi Child. Because Stasi Wolf is a huge disappointment.
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
For all my reviews, visit Clues and Reviews
www.cluesandreviews.wordpress.com

Stasi Wolf, the second novel in the Karin Muller series by David Young, follows Oberleutnant Karin Muller on a new case. Set in 1975 communist Germany, she must determine the identity of a child snatcher when a pair of infant twins goes missing.

I am a fan of historical fiction so when I found this historical thriller, I knew I needed to pick it up! Equal parts police procedural and mystery; this fast paced journey had me
John Morris
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Enjoyed the setting of the book in the old East Germany but found the plot confusing (lots of movement to and fro in the timeline) and the plot too implausible by far
Manchester Military History Society (MMHS)
Episode 2 of an excellent and unusually located police procedural set in the former East Germany.

Another outing for criminal investigator Oberleutnant Karin Muller, this time away from her hometown of Berlin to a difficult, and sensitive case in the politically sensitive new town of Halle-Neustadt.

Two newborn babies have been abducted from a local hospital, however Muller finds that her investigative options are limited by the Stasi in an effort to reduce any embarrassment to the authorities.

Dav
Warrengent
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ng
David young as surpassed my expectations in this novel a main protagonist that is unique and incredibly interesting Davids writing makes you feel you are in the environments and time of the seventies a master of his craft can not wait for more
Zoe Hall
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Where do I begin? I gave Stasi Child 5 brilliant stars and for me, this book was even better. So here we are, 5 stars again!

I absolutely love David Young's ability to construct a setting so immersed in the history of its time within which the undertone carries a pretty decent thriller - for what it's worth.

Babies are going missing and Karin and her team cannot ask any questions. The investigation begins in secrecy. The Ministry for State Security (The Stasi) are trying to keep the peace, as it
Alisa
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I gave 5 stars to the first book in this series, Stasi Child, which I recall finding hard to put down at the time.
Stasi Wolf was also "unputdownable" but not nearly as good as its predecessor. The plot verged on the ridiculous, unfortunately. There were far too many coincidences to make it appear credible.
I'm giving this one 3.5 stars but rounding it up to 4 as it was still one that I was reluctant to put down. Silly plot aside, it was nevertheless a good story. Karin Müller has grown on me, th
HalcyonDaze
Hmm.... I would have loved this to have been a better read - the time and setting, what was hidden behind the Wall for all those decades - I got that with Muller #1 - but nowhere near as much with this one. The dialogue sometimes tripped and tumbled quite badly at times - I almost grimaced - and the glimpse behind the Curtain revealing..... well not that much.... the backdrop almost too grey and monotone to provide enough colour to the story.
And yes.... the weaving of circumstances and plot - w
Mary
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The first in the series was a good read this even better. I grew fond of the lead character during my time with her. The sense of place for Ha-Neu and Oberhof was immersing. Really looking forward to the third instalment.
Kate
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stasi Wolf sees the return of detective Karin Müller in Stasi Germany and another frustratingly complex case for her to solve. For fans of David Young's writing this is the second book to feature the plucky detective, but this can be read as a stand alone book. Young has included enough detail to bring new readers up to speed with previous events but all the while ensures that fans of the series are satisfied that loose ends are tied up.

David Young has the ability to transport his reader to the
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was hugely excited to read the author's first novel Stasi Child as it is such a unique historical setting and I found the novel fascinating. So when Stasi Wolf's release was announced, I was again keen to see where the series would go & be back reading about Karin Muller, who as a feisty female protagonist is fast becoming one of my all time favourite characters!
The novel opens with a harrowing prologue, Which sets the pace that this series just got a whole lot darker! We are transported t
Kate
Atmospheric and utterly compelling - and extremely difficult to put down.

Marina
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
David Young was a recent guest on my blog and we all enjoyed his story about his fake East German police car. I really liked his writing and his out-of-ordinary storytelling and decided to try his books. Stasi Wolf is second in the series. I haven’t read the first one, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying book number two. When you put David Young and out-of-ordinary plots together, you get a murder set up in 1975 in East Germany and a female detective to solve it. Perfect!

The story starts with
J Jahir
estupendo. no creí que me iba a gustar tanto, pero también la temática del libro está bastante bien. se ambienta en la República Democrática Alemana de los años 70's, concretamente entre 1975-1977. Karin Müller debe investigar la desaparición de unos mellizos, y mientras lo hace se van descubriendo cosas muy interesantes. mucho de esta trama se entrelaza desde mucho tiempo atrás. se cuenta desde distintos puntos de vista, al principio no entiendes quién es francisca, Hansy y Stephy hasta que ya ...more
Aracely
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha costado un poco seguirlo de corrido, creo que tendría que haberme leído un libro anterior a este (Los hijos de la Stasi), porque hay detalles y sucesos que al parecer tienen lugar en ese libro y que al mencionarse en este descolocan un poco, sobre todo en lo que respecta a la protagonista Karin. Al ya llevarlo comenzado no quise dejarlo e ir por el anterior porque aunque los personajes salen en ambos libros, este era otro caso. El libro es bueno sin tirar cohetes al aire, he leído muchísim ...more
David Lowther
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stasi Wolf is David Young's follow to the DDR set thriller Stasi Child and is equally as good. The central character is again Karin Müller. The plot, however, is entirely different. Here Karin and her team are deployed from Berlin to Halle to investigate the disappearance of a set of baby twins. Once again her efforts are hampered by the Stasi and we don't know why until the very end.

Young uses the Camilla Lackberg technique of tracing the origins of the possible crimes into the past and it work
Spyros Egkarchos
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have also read "Stasi Child" (greek edition) which was ok, but didn't have me surprised at all. Nevertheless, what I appreciated and liked from this book was that the combination of history with fiction is perfectly done. I also loved the author's note at the end of the book mentioning real facts about East Germany. So, when I accidentally came by "Stasi Wolf" (eng ed.), I decided to go for it. The book met my expectations and had me keep reading with an ever-increasing interest. What I love a ...more
  • Battleground Berlin: CIA vs. KGB in the Cold War
  • Secret Father
  • Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin
  • The Red Effect
  • Stealing the Future: An East German Spy Story (East Berlin Series, #1)
  • Brandenburg Gate (Robert Harland #3)
  • After The Wall
  • Red Love: The Story of an East German Family
  • Land i datid
  • Zeugin der Toten (Judith Kepler, #1)
  • Man Without A Face: The Autobiography Of Communism's Greatest Spymaster
  • Silence
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB
  • The File: A Personal History
  • World War II: Behind Closed Doors; Stalin, the Nazis, and the West
  • Tumbled Graves (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #3)
  • Enver Hoxha
  • Forgotten Land: Journeys Among the Ghosts of East Prussia
David Young was born near Hull and – after dropping out of a Bristol University science degree - studied Humanities at Bristol Polytechnic specialising in Modern History. Temporary jobs cleaning ferry toilets and driving a butcher's van were followed by a career in journalism with provincial newspapers, a London news agency, and the BBC’s international newsrooms where he led news teams for the Wor ...more

Karin Müller (4 books)
  • Stasi Child (Karin Müller, #1)
  • A Darker State (Karin Müller #3)
  • Stasi 77 (Karin Müller #4)