Start by marking “Romance Novels Ruined Me (Kindle Single)” as Want to Read:
Romance Novels Ruined Me (Kindle Single)

Romance Novels Ruined Me (Kindle Single)

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When nine-year-old Nichole Perkins picks up her first romance novel, she knows she’s onto something good. Thus begins a lifelong affair with a genre she tries to emulate in her real life relationships, often with disastrous results. Yet even after Nichole realizes she’ll never become the women in her books—and that that’s not necessarily a bad thing—she fears the love she ...more
Published September 23rd 2016

To ask other readers questions about Romance Novels Ruined Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romance Novels Ruined Me

Nichole
This essay was short and light. Lesson taken from it: many times, books do save lives and help us grow. I'm glad I read it.
Kristina
Awfully superficial for a biographical essay that (shocker) aims to disprove the thesis statement in the title.
The Idle Woman
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Can a literary genre really shape how we look at the world? Self-professed romance-addict Nichole Perkins looks back over her life as a reader, remembering how she came to books via florid romantic novels gleaned from her grandmother's bookshelf. She recalls how these historical sagas offered her a different pattern for relationships than the workaday marriages she saw among her friends and family in Nashville. They promised that love, true love, would be instantaneous; it would be tumultuous; t ...more
Richard Lawler
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For people who learned how to deal with the world through the stories they read.
Alicia Allen
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick and satisfying read

I too love romance novels and have struggled with reconciling the tropes in the stories with real life. The part about long lost love really spoke to me because I have been there, more than once. And also...I gasped at the realization that Luke raped Laura. My childhood is not forever changed.:)
Kristine
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a hidden love for romance books

I enjoyed this book. The truth is most women do enjoy the occasional romance story especially when they find the right subgenre for themselves.
Melissa Campbell
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty alright

This was an alright quick ready. If only to confirm what fans of the genre have already felt. Although if you're still embarrassed to be a fan you should definitely read this.
Danielle Oberpriller
It was a decent book. It started out a bit odd, but continued on, showing how her life and years have changed the way she sees the genre.
April Cox
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay

This was a short easy to read. I was looking for more of a romantic comedy read. It was just ok.
Marisa
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Full review to come
Lisa
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I have felt almost all of these feelings. A good short essay on how romance novels (really hero/savior tropes) affect how we interpret relationships.
Nicole
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Romance Novel Junkie

This book is s must read if romance noveld are pretty much sll you read. I always wondered if reading romance novels was making it impossible for me to be in an intimate relationship. No man has ever been good enough. And by good enough I mean they weren't like any of the men in the stories I've read. This book puts all that into perspective. A very good read!
Maggie
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the honesty and simplicity of the book. It expresses a lot of things that as a woman, a feminist and an obsessive reader of romance novels I experience. I greatly appreciated the fact that she acknowledged the unhealthy view of love romance novels can portray but also explain how vast the genre and sub genres that that mean that there's more than just problematic reading.
Read your romances guilt free because what is more feminist than 'indulging in a desire that brings you pleasure'
Judy
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
This was not a full length book, but just an essay about a womans lifetime love affair with romance novels, and how it developed over the years. It wasnt long enough to really develop her story for me. Just OK. ...more
Ana Maria  Rivera
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was ok. I honestly thought that it would be something different... I actually one-clicked my way into this one without reading the sample before....
Emily Woods
rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2016
Valerie
Jun 12, 2018
Molly Golightly
rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2018