Start by marking “Dark City” as Want to Read:
Dark City

Dark City (The Order of Shadows #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Unleashed Magic. Secret Pasts. Hidden Worlds. Welcome to the Dark City.

My name’s Morgan Rook, Supernatural Detective, Undercover Agent, odd jobs man. Call it whatever you like.
I take out the nightmares, demons and werewolves. The things that lurk in the shadows around you.
Guys like us, we call them Nightkind.

And here I was, set to quit this dark life and retire to sunni
Published September 24th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dark City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark City

Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark City
The Order of Shadows, Book 1
By: Kit Hallows
Narrated by: Shawn Compton
This is an audible book I requested and the review is voluntary.
I thought this book was great. I loved the magic, the creatures, the action, suspense, characters, plot, and twists. It was never dull and I kept me interested. It kept me guessing and eager to figure things out. I definitely want to read or listen to the next book.
The narrator's voice was clear and kept the book flowing well. The emotions and moods were p
Teresa Valentic
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A good read.
Kati
Feb 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Poor story telling, unevenly paced, and info dumps about world building, instead of building the world around the character organically.
Chris
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unlimited Gen

In a sea of mediocrity, Dark City stands out as a gen reflecting its' dark light over the sea that is Kindle Unlimited. If you like Dark Urban Fiction where the author really allows you to get a feel for who the characters are then this book is for you. Minor critique: the author does repeat salient plot points a bit too much as though afraid we will forget what we have read. Trust in the impact of your writing, we will remember what you wrote.
Rhee
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well thought out

Honestly? Morgan Rook made me angry. Not in I hate the character sort of way but in the stubborn guy I want to smack upside the head way. What I most enjoyed was the character was believable. I get that parts of the character aren't (as in some of the magic). But the personality is completely believable.
Dick SantaCruz
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This urban fantasy was packed with creativity. The main character comes to understand that he is not human after all. Lots of action and some unfinished business that will need to be dealt with in the sequel. Looking forward to the next book.
Kit is a talented author.
Curtis
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting and Action-filled

A well-done new entry in the genre, and well worth reading. Good characters with depth and stories of their own, with room for the stories to grow everywhere. The action is very good, although it muddies the plot occasionally. Overall though it's a very nice opening book, well-written and delightfully well-edited. Try it out.
Viv Carvalho
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dark, gritty and with plenty of mystique, Kit Hallows weaves a wonderful tale for his protagonist Rook.
Only gripe I have with the book was that I felt it was a bit short; it seemed to get over a little too quick.
Alex  Cunningham
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great start to the season

I was thinking that this was going to be a formula style fantasy, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was mistaken. Great characters and decent plot lines make this a new series potential.
Shannon Wolf
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice Start

Kit my be an old hand, but this is the first time I have read any of it, and it was a great story. Gritty, bruised,duty, and drive are the adjectives that jump to my mind. Can't wait for the next installment.

Shannon
Bill Ramsell
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is great dark urban fantasy with plenty of magick, mayhem, and magickal mayhem! Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Mohamed Alyousofi
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

It's a great book filled with action, good character development and an enticing world and lore, and I highly recommend it.
Lidia
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my review of the audio version as posted on Audible:

This is my first book by Kit Hallows and I will definitely come for more...
This is one of those books that after reading the blurb you think you know what will happen and then discover that there are a few surprises on the way...:)

Well, it starts out quite schematically and predictably - a paranormal PI, Morgan Rook, has to rid the world of a foul rogue vampire while at the same time trying to find out the whereabouts of an evil witch w
Jennifer Ferencz
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
3.5 stars.

This was an enjoyable read filled with descriptive narrative and wonderfully-written imagery. Other people have commented on the pacing, and I agree that the first ~1/3 of the book is a bit slow. There's a lot of matter-of-fact world-building that is interesting but sometimes too dense. The action does pick up halfway through, and the different facets of this world keeps the reader drawn in.

It also feels like the reader has jumped into the second book of a series. You find out the pro
Kelly
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received the audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It reminds me of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Morgan Rook is a ..... bounty hunter a demons, I guess you'd say. He works for The Organization. He knows very little about his employers, but that doesn't seem to bother him. His past is somewhat murky, having been adopted from an asylum.

Morgan, besides working for the Organization, is also searching for Elsbeth Winter, a woman who killed Willow, the l
Christian
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My review is for the audiobook format.

Action, weapons, and supernatural creatures! Oh my!

The only improvement I recommend for Dark City is that it be longer! Morgan Rook, our supernatural detective, is himself still uncovering details of his parentage and early life in this first book, so I'm looking to future installments to provide more insight into Rook's character, taking us readers on a journey of discovery alongside his character. Lots of action, weaponry, and paranormal creatures kept me
Jane
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like the Dresden Files only much, much darker. Morgan Rook is part detective, part executioner, part human and a man with a grudge to settle. The story begins with Rook investigating the ritual murder of a magic user and looking for the woman who killed a woman who was close to him. By the end of the story, there are a whole lot more dead bodies, some collateral damage and others left behind by Morgan himself, and he's added another name to his "hunt them down and kill them" list.
Fast action, da
Krystyna
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Links to his hidden past?

Great read. Things are going bump in the night with a vengence. Why are things getting worse? All he wants is the killer of his girlfriend? However his path frequently crosses into uncharted territory and he finds himself drawn into a fight with an unknown mastermind. Why does he not remember anything before he was 10? Does he have magic? Brilliant ride through a dark plot to kill off people that seem to have links to his past. Where will the path lead him?
Michelle VanDaley
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall 4 stars Narrator 5 stars - My review is based on the Audiobook: Morgan Rook's story is definitely worth reading. I found Dark City to be quite original. It was fast paced with great characters and an interesting world and story line. The author does a great job laying the groundwork for the series in this first book. The narrator is fantastic bringing the characters and story to life with easy to understand and distinguishable voices. I look forward to more in this series.
Jason
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Morgan Rook is a keeper.

I like the mystery shrouded past of Took. Dark City sets the stage for many great directions and a super rich mythology. What hopeless romantic can resist the tale of struggling hero, with seemingly no friend's and no where to turn?
Very good book and stage setter. Looking forward to more Morgan Took.
Lynda
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very dark tale following the trail of Morgan, an undercover agent, as he hunts the monsters of the night. The suspense and action blends well with the well written characters. When you think you have it all figured out, everything changes in a blink of an eye. Looking forward reading to book two.
Melissa Stiles
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the best genres all in one!

The is the first book I have read by Kit Hallows and it will not be the last. I love supernatural theme books and this book not only has a supernatural theme it is also full of action with some mystery. I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.
Michael
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Dresden files on rods

I loved this book The story was well defined while leaving just enough mystery to pull you further. The next book will be just as good, if the preview lives up to it's opening.
Kat Lebo
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark City (Book One, The Order of Shadows)
by Kit Hallows

It took me a while to get into this book, which has a very old style noir feel. However, once I began to get a sense of the backstory, things began to look up. So, I'll probably read another in the series at a later date.
Steve Isenhower
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good series start

A good start to a series. The book was a little slow on the beginning but really picked up by the middle. The last half was excellent with a very good ending. Looking forward to reading the next book.
A Dormaus
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid start to your standard urban fantasy Detective/gun-for-hire world. Hooked me enough to go to the next book. I want to see how Morgan grows. Great start!
Robbie
Not my usual choice of genre, but interesting. I rate it 3.8 stars.
Jessica
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Good. I would read more.

Not bad really. A bit more gory than your typical read in the genre. Although short, the characters come through in a short amount of time.
Bkwyrm
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Flashes of originality, but ends too abruptly

I read a lot of urban fantasy - this caught my eye, and while I enjoyed it, there were some problems. The story starts in the middle. Morgan Took works for a shadowy group in a more shadowy world, taking out bad supernaturals. Honestly, I almost didn't get past the first chapter. It's an info-dump. The reader gets dropped into the world, introduced to the character, introduced to the internal mythology (vampires look like X, magic works like Y), there
Brenda Click
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Goos

I chose they rating because this book keep me wanting more. The twist the turns the who why how. Now I have questions of my own
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

The Order of Shadows (4 books)
  • Midnight Falls: A Morgan Rook Supernatural Thriller
  • A Game of Witches: A Morgan Rook Supernatural Thriller
  • Ender of Worlds: A Morgan Rook Supernatural Thriller (The Order of Shadows Book 4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Logan's Run: Vintage Movie Classics (A Vintage Movie Classic)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)