Start by marking “The Ladies-In-Waiting” as Want to Read:
The Ladies-In-Waiting

The Ladies-In-Waiting

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In 1656, Diego Velázquez, leading figure in the Spanish Golden Age of painting, created one of the most enigmatic works in the history of art: Las Meninas (The Ladies-in-Waiting). This graphic novel, written and drawn by two of Spain’s most sophisticated comics creators, examines its legacy as one of the first paintings to explore the relationship among the viewer, reality ...more
Published August 22nd 2017 by Fantagraphics

To ask other readers questions about The Ladies-In-Waiting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ladies-In-Waiting

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
The story of the painting is told through the story of the man - the journey of Diego Velázquez and his painting (Las Meninas) reflects questions that are timeless: perception, power, talent...a life lived in a court that both rewarded and sheltered those who swore allegiance to the king (state). This GN will stay with you as you ponder what 'mirrors' you observe the reflection of life through - highest recommendation.
Ashley
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A striking graphic novel about one of my favorite paintings, Las Meninas by Diego Velazquez. The bold art style is modern yet calls back to the strong chiaroscuro used in the Baroque period. The story jumps around a bit, but I really enjoyed seeing how Las Meninas has influenced so many amazing artists. I wish that there had been more about the actual painting, but the story of Velazquez's life inform ideas surrounding the piece, like the usage of mirrors and Velazquez's desire for nobility. Ove ...more
John
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You only need one graphic novel about the life of Velasquez and the impossibly long shadow he cast over painting. I am happy to report this is it. Garcia has written a great biography that jumps through time in top shelf storyteller mode. Olivaras has a very striking style that reminds me of folk art and post-Impressionists.
Emma Schweitzer
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really beautiful - I only wish it had footnotes or some more historical guides detailing the rumors/stories behind the may or may not have happened events it presents during Velazquez and other artists' lives.
Luke
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exquisitely drawn. Incredible stories. Requires a basic background with Spanish painters/history.
Mateen Mahboubi
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Graphic Novel that explores the life of master Baroque painter Diego Velázquez and ultimately the enduring influence of his most famous painting Las Meninas. The book does not follow a linear timeline as Garcia allows for diversions to other periods where other artists explore their art through Velázquez (the diversions are expertly distinguished through the use of colour). There were times where I felt that I limited knowledge of art history held me back from the full enjoyment of the book bu ...more
Cassandra, Mother of Satyrs
Not my forté, but it was well written.
Rebecca
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Art students, snap this one up. I got it from the library; it's the English translation of "Las Meninas". It's as good a textbook on Velázquez as you're going to get in graphic novel format. I would have enjoyed reading it very much when I was taking my Art History classes. Context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Men...
Lukas Holmes
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ended up reading this twice because I had a bit of a hard time catching/understanding everything. I assume it isn't so much a 'lost in translation' issue as much as a 'I have no understanding of the history of Spanish art' issue. So if you do read, take the time to be near a computer or phone and google the things you don't understand or want more information on. A very engaging story and look into the creative process though.
J.P.
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Jefferson
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Beautifully illustrated, but if there's a story here I found it very hard to follow. It seemed more like a series of incidents than a continuous narrative.
Dakota Morgan
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The Ladies-In-Waiting is billed as a tantalizing art mystery. Instead, it's more of a roundabout biography of Velazquez, one of Spain's finest artists. Various contemporary and modern artists give their opinions on Velazquez or extemporize on how he's influenced their art. In the background, a handful of inquisitors investigate a Velazquez painting. And, in a third (or fourth?) timeline, a different investigator determines whether Velazquez is worthy of being Philip IV's court artist.

The time ju
Alice
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have seen the painting in person at Museo del Prado. I also visited the Picasso Museum in Barcelona with the paintings inspired by Las Meninas. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the backstory.

The book is wonderful. The only criticisms I have is that it is at times hard to keep the characters straight and that it is sometimes difficult to tell when and where we are in the story. The coloring of the background helps with the timeline, but wasn't enough to prevent me from being taken out of the story
Chris Otto
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic graphic novel that introduced me to a period, an artist and a painting that I had very little knowledge of. Left me entertained, better-educated and thirsty to learn more. Highest recommendation. (If you're looking to use this for schooling, know that it would probably merit an very mild PG-13 rating.)
Martha Curtis
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Story about Diego Velasquez. I was somewhat disappointed with the book.
Sonic
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Next level art make this dream-like glimpse at Art history a surreal treat.
Joan Concilio
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-read
I had a lot of trouble following this, hence the 3 stars, but to be clear the concept and the art and the story were first-rate. To someone smarter than me this would easily be a five-star book.
Anne Rubin
May 28, 2018
James Heimer
Apr 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Traductor, teórico e historietista español.
“In appearance, this locus is a simple one; a matter of pure reciprocity: we read a text in which the writer is in turn reading to us. But it isn’t a text, it’s a mirrror. It offers us at last that enchantment of the double.” 1 likes