Start by marking “Storied Bars of New York: Where Literary Luminaries Go to Drink” as Want to Read:
Storied Bars of New York: Where Literary Luminaries Go to Drink

Storied Bars of New York: Where Literary Luminaries Go to Drink

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Want to know what it’s like to pull up a stool with the likes of Hemingway, Updike, or Capote? Curious how Jay McInerney takes his martini, or where to order Alexander Chee’s favorite cocktail? For well-read drinkers and boozy bookworms everywhere comes Storied Bars of New York, a photographic and historical celebration of the best literary pubs, cocktail bars, and taverns ...more
Published June 6th 2017 by Countryman Press

To ask other readers questions about Storied Bars of New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storied Bars of New York

Susan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes literary history and the continually unfolding history of New York City
Storied Bars hits on all cylinders: design, writing, research, and fun. Cabe's descriptions are not only entertaining but also layered in a way that only a native New Yorker could render. I love books about or set in New York, and, as a recovering English major (and worse, with a master’s!), I love the literary tidbits and vivid descriptions of these wonderful bars. I've been to only one of them--McSorley's--and have a lot of catching up to do!

It’s hard to choose a favorite among the featured b
Delia Cabe
Apr 13, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
One of "10 Great Books for Booze-Loving Book Nerds" ~ Liberty Hardy, BookRiot

"Two features take Cabe's book to an even more thoughtful level. Cabe procures the recipe for each bar or tavern's signature drink—helpful for those far from the Big Apple. Further, using quotes from the authors who frequented the venues, as well as magazine excerpts from their time of prominence, Cabe captures the cultural scene of times long since past. This is a book that will appeal to cocktail lovers, literary afic
Randy
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early look at STORIED BARS. It is simply luminescent in it's beauty. When a book is put together as carefully as it's written--that's magic!
Ann Rufo
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
One part travel guide, one part history lesson and one part recipe book, Cabe has created a delightful list of literary hotspots both new and old (and some so old as to not be around anymore). It's a fun glimpse into the collective literary world, and the human inclination towards camaraderie, and companionship. Were I not already old and cranky and overwhelmed by the mere thought of the crowded, sparkly streets of New York, I would, upon reading this, be urged to get up and go. Cabe presents sn ...more
Meta
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Storied Bars is, in a word, wonderful! It drew me in with its clever title and gorgeous cover and kept me captivated with colorful tales of literary giants and atmospheric descriptions of legendary NY drinking establishments. The author, Delia Cabe, has a real flair for storytelling and the perfectly chosen detail. I felt like I was sitting at the next barstool or table and eavesdropping on the likes of Walt Whitman, Dorothy Parker, or Truman Capote. I know I’ll be trying out the various cocktai ...more
Robin
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like to find unique, quirky places that aren't necessarily tourist destinations AND you like trying new places and libations, this is the book for you! I was given this book at Book Expo 2017 and it's so great that I've spent a lot of time poring over its pages. If you like visiting the city and you enjoy learning about favorite authors, this book is a must.
Karen
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delia Cabe has written a delightful, humorous and well researched guide to interesting bars in New York with literary connections. The cocktail recipes and photos really bring the book to life. I learned so much and can't wait to check out a few of these places on my next trip to New York. Full disclosure: Delia and I were roommates for a time in college.
Caitlin
A fun enough read, and certainly got some ideas of new spots to check out. A little disappointed with how many of them were founded in the mid-late 2000's though. I know the title is a play on words - but that feels a little young to be "storied."
Catherine Elcik
The design of this book is stunningly gorgeous. In future editions, I do hope the designer opts for actual maps of each neighborhood for the NYC illiterates among us, but the antique map is so very pretty.

The perfect gift book!!
Phil
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wine-and-spirits
Light, but fun book about the stories behind New York's literary bars. Helped target a couple of places for my next visit.
Kathy Held
Betty
Dec 14, 2017
Mike
Dec 09, 2017
Delia Cabe has written for Self, Prevention, Health, Boston Globe Magazine, Boston Magazine, Scientific American Presents, and other newspapers and magazines. An avid gardener, she lives in New England with her husband, Rob, and their two cats. She teaches magazine and column writing at Emerson College.
More about Delia Cabe