Start by marking “Detritus in Love” as Want to Read:
Detritus in Love

Detritus in Love

Detritus is young, a little odd, and in love with a dead girl who doesn't know she's dead. Detritus' best friend is also a ghost in a Nazi costume.
These things are strange, but nothing compared to the dark and surreal wave rolling toward him. He needs to be ready. The Opposite is coming.
Paperback, First, 60 pages
Published September 20th 2016 by Omnium Gatherum

To ask other readers questions about Detritus in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detritus in Love

Char
4.5 Stars!

A ghost named Blank with Xs for eyes, and a ghost named Shultz-these are the only friends of Detritus; and they both know the "Opposite" is coming. What a strange, sad and surreal story this was. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, other than that I loved it.

Detritus is a young man who has nothing in life, not even a nice first name. With a meth head for a "mother", (which, believe me is using the term loosely), and whoever her boyfriend is for the week, Det's life in the trailer is
The Grim Reader
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am fan of both of these writers works. They both have a unique take on fiction, reveling in that kind of dreamy prose that allows for a great reading experience. The two writers that are quite similar, yet also quite different, join forces for this short novella 'Detritus in Love'.

When authors co-write stories, I often approach with caution. The results can be either spectacular or as if the two authors didn't have any correspondence whatsoever. Thankfully, 'Detritus in Love' reads like it was
Kimberly
4.5 stars.

DETRITUS IN LOVE, by Mercedes M. Yardley, and John Boden is a "love" story--and yet, it is not. There is love, but the love is for--and of--those that should not be. Unfortunately, in order to "balance" this, an entity known only as "The Opposite", paints sadness, evil, heartache, and misery all around the rest of Detritus' life. There's an entire array of emotions that the reader will go through on this journey.

There is no doubt that Detritus has had--and will continue to have--a diff
Jason Parent
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
What an awful thing to call one's son.

This tale is beautiful melancholy, heart-wrenching loneliness, and smothering horror. Each word perfectly chosen, every image laced with impending dread.

Also, you may find yourself liking a Nazi.
Andi Rawson
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Detritus in Love is and it isn't. There is love but it isn't a love story. There is horror but it isn't a horror story. The love comes not from the living and the horror, not from the dead. Yet both are undertones for this beautifully macabre story of Detritus, a boy whose only solace comes from those who shouldn't still be—yet are— and whose Opposite threatens to break what little happiness he has managed to hold on to. Darkly poetic, this little wonder of literary brilliance from Mercedes M. Y ...more
Helen
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was weird.

I'm not really sure what to make of this, except to say I think I liked it. The language is strange, dark and poetic, and not really like anything else I've read before. The latter part of the tale is completely surreal and dream-like, and I couldn't possibly describe to anyone who hasn't read this what actually happens in the end since I'm not entirely sure myself! It's essentially a tale of love, loss and death, infused with flavours of Poe and Tim Burton.

Give it a try if
J.R.
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
If you care to hear our opinions about it, you can listen to the podcast episode here:

This is a well-written, zippy little dark melodrama. It's not horror, more like dark fantasy that leans a bit too strongly on THE FEELZ than logic, and your enjoyment may depend on how well you can tolerate lines like "The air smelled like grass and smoke and copper, the end of summer and holocaust," "he will paint a matching work with tragedy and screaming" or emo-acme
Michael Adams
Haunting, dreamlike tale of a high-schooler named Detritus (called Det) who sees ghosts. One is a boy who dresses like a Nazi, who he calls Schultz, and the other is a girl with X's over her eyes, named Blank. These are his best friends in an otherwise cruel, uncaring world. As his relationship with these listless spirits deepens we become aware of something coming for him; an evil twin, a Jungian shadow, a demonic entity called The Opposite. Det's struggle with this creature may very well have ...more
John
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall - 4 stars
Story - 4 stars
Narration - n/a stars
Weirdness Factor - 5 stars
Adrean Messmer
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's beautiful and sad. I occasionally got pretty lost in the metaphors and honestly have no idea what happened at the end, but I'm so in love with Det, Schultz, and Blank that I don't mind too much.
Spencer
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the writing in this book, probably more than the plot itself. The prose was darkly poetic, the characters morbidly fascinating and the atmosphere bleak and disquieting. This reminded me a bit of old Tim Burton (when he used to be good) crossed with David Lynch.
I decided to read this as I had just finished John Boden's book Dominoes and was eager to read more from him and I'm very glad I did, and although I've never read any Mercedes M. Yardley after this I definitely will.
A.E.
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you loved "Apocalyptic Montessa and Nuclear Lulu" by Mercedes Yardley, you will really enjoy "Detritus in Love" which reminded me a bit of "Edward Scissorhands" but darker. Definitely a memorable and quick read from two fantastic horror authors!
T.O. Munro
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really different kind of story and a totally seamless collaboration between its two authors.

I reviewed it more fully for fantasy faction and also included an interview with the authors!
Matthew Weber
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'Detritus in Love' is a dark fantasy about doomed love and inescapable fate. Authors John Boden and Mercedes Yardley establish their surrealistic world from the very first page, courtesy of a ghoulish visit from a dead man with a warning: The Opposite is coming for young Detritus, and will bring with it death and heartache wherever Detritus seeks love and hope. With his spectral best friend Schultz and his girlfriend Blank, who has Xs for eyes, Det embarks on a journey of magical realism that’s ...more
Amy
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
First off, not sure why this had two authors, it was incredibly short. I read it in like 20 minutes. Secondly, the dates in this book are confusing and the last date given was before the movie Nightmare Before Christmas came out, though it is referred to as old. If it's supposed to be in the present day the timing is very unclear on that. It's a big contradiction and what is written doesn't imply that much time has gone by.

I'm not necessarily saying this is bad. It was pretty unique in concept,
Steve Wynne
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
John Boden and Mercedes Yardley working in tandem have created one of the coolest, weirdest tales I've come across in quite some time. I've loved everything I've read from each author individually, and this was absolutely no exception. Burned through this one on my kindle this morning after having it glare at me accusingly for the last however many months, hating me for the neglect I dumped on it, and I'm sorry I did so for so long. I hope to read more from both authors soon.
MollyK
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
*** Goodreads giveaway winner***

So that was different. The prose was disturbingly beautiful. The story was haunting and sad. But... I did not get the timeline premise at all and the last chapter made no sense to me. It felt tacked on and incoherent. Honestly this little book was getting a solid 3 star maybe 4 star rating until the last bit.
Peter
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Detritus, is a young boy without any friends. Det's mother, who is a drug addict, tells him that he was a mistake and she wishes that he had never been born. His mother, has a boyfriend of the month club and none of them ever treat Detritus with respect. Det's is about to make two new friends. A boy that he named Schultz, because he is dressed in a Nazi uniform and the second, a girl name Blank. Blank has X's for eyes. Det fall in love with her at first sight. The only problem with his new frien ...more
Hunter Shea
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully poetic, creepy tale that evokes the best of Clive Barker. Beautifully written, bursting with dark emotion.
Zakk Madness
Claudia
Apr 24, 2017
Mads Karlsholm
Mar 15, 2018
Mercedes M. Yardley is a dark fantasist who wears stilettos and poisonous flowers in her hair. Her short story collection, Beautiful Sorrows, came out in the fall of 2012, and her novella Apocalyptic Montessa and Nuclear Lulu: A Tale of Atomic Love came out in September of 2013. Her debut novel, Nameless: The Darkness Comes, released in January 2014. It is the first book in The Bone Angel Trilogy. ...more