Start by marking “Mrs. Malory and A Time To Die” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Malory and A Time To Die

Mrs. Malory and A Time To Die

(Mrs. Malory Mysteries #18)

Sheila Malory's old friends Charlie and Jo Hamilton run a popular riding school in the quiet English town of Taviscombe. When Charlie is found dead in his stables from a blow to the headwith only his horses as witnesses to his final moments the entire community is shaken. Especially since Charlies is just the first in a series of shocking and suspicious deaths. Mrs. Malory ...more
Published December 2nd 2008 by Signet (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Malory and A Time To Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Malory and A Time To Die

Han Le flueff
This is supposed to be a nice cosy mystery story, told through the eyes of Sheila Malory, who lives in the small town of Taviscombe, England.

A Time to Die is one of a series, and having not read any of the other books, I was instantly confused. This needn't have been the case but for the appalling first thirty or so pages of this book. All it takes is a few short paragraphs to give the reader a bit of background information, establishing the protagonist and their circumstances. But all there was
Damaskcat
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie and Jo Hamilton run the local riding stables and are well liked by everyone in the area. They are also friends with Sheila Malory and she starts to see more of them when her young grand daughter, Alice starts riding lessons. When Charlie dies in what appears to be suspicious circumstances, Sheila's well known curiosity is aroused and it positively burns to be satisfied when another death happens hard on the first.

This is a well written cosy mystery - number eighteen in the series. I enjo
Jeanette
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This long series gets even better at the end- as Sheila feels both the physical reality and wisdom of advancing age. It truly is a different perspective. Plus Hilda AND Mrs. Dudley BOTH have roles and are in their peak forms. And there are 3 deaths in quick succession in a plot that centers around the local Taviscombe stables. Accidents? I rather deduced only one of the three. Finally the duo of Rosemary and Sheila do the prime reveal TOGETHER. Finally, the duo's celebration of their life-long f ...more
Shawn Remfrey
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-library
This book took me weeks to read. Weeks. I'd read a few pages and then fall asleep. If you've read any of Mrs. Malory's stories before, this probably wouldn't happen to you. I, sadly, had not.

I didn't care about the characters. I don't care about horses. It seemed to take forever for anyone to die. Though a short book, it seemed to last forever. I nearly gave up on it, but I needed something to read at night and this was handy.

But! This book still received three stars from me because it had an in
Marty
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the 18th book in the Mrs. Malory series. Now Mrs. Malory’s granddaughter is old enough to start riding lessons at Charlie and Jo Hamilton’s riding school, a popular place for young girls. Mrs. Malory enjoys taking Alice to her lessons and talking with her friends Charlie and Jo. … until Charlie is found dead at his desk having taken a severe blow to the head…..but was it murder or a skittish horse? Shortly thereafter, his brother-in-law dies – but he has long had heart problems. However ...more
Joan Colby
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
How splendid to discover another of what I call palate cleansers—escapist mysteries that are well written and diverting—to intersperse between more demanding literature. I loved the horse-element in this one, my first of her lengthy series—which I shall enjoy exploring.
Audrey
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Another lovely book by Hazel Holt, time spent with Mrs. Malory has she tries to solve a murder and keep up with her pets, family, neighbors and friends is always a good time!
Frances
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A relaxing easy read - nearly a murder in a small English town - and it is essential that one of the characters has a cup of tea in each chapter and mentions a dog, a cat or a pony! Perfect!
P.D.R. Lindsay
Well this novel was a bit of a mystery, a pleasant ramble through a middle aged British woman's comfortable life in a rural community.

The story was a chatty ramble through daily pursuits with the mysterious death of a friend thrown in. A nice harmless read for someone looking for mild entertainment.
Mary
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the cozy feel to this mystery, meeting again many characters I enjoy, three deaths, two seem like accidents and one is natural causes. Sheila isn’t so sure.
Pam
Feb 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2009
I am a fan of Mrs. Mallory. Her cozy way of solving mysteries has always been both fun and relaxing. But this latest installment seemed rather weak. That being said, I thought I knew "who dunnit" by page 156, and I was wrong. I was even wrong on my second guess. So I suppose that says something.

Taviscombe is a quiet place most of the time. But the widow, Mrs. Mallory, always seems to wind up in the middle of a muddle in the most Miss Marple-ish way. Hazel Holt never had Christie's pure talent fo
C. John Kerry
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this one, which was my first introduction to Mrs. Mallory. It took awhile before anyone was killed but before that we got an interesting glimpse into life in a small English community. I would describe this book as basically a cozy as most of the action is centered in that community, though we do get the occasional side excursion elsewhere. The cast of characters are also interesting and lend some verisimilitude to the story, as they seem to be exactly what one would expect to ...more
Nikki
Dec 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
Not the best of the series, but it was nice to revisit Taviscombe and its characters and catch up with the lives of Sheila Mallory, her friend Rosemary, and their families. A series of mysterious deaths centered around a friend's riding stable gets Mrs. Mallory's investigative instincts going, but the explanation is one even she had not considered. Aging and its attendant concerns are a theme of the book, and also, perhaps, in evidence in the writing; a sprained ankle on page one becomes a wrist ...more
Mandolin
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading a Mrs. Malory book is like becoming an invisible visitor to the calm (but murder-strewn) world of southwestern England. I think that's why I like these books so much and keep returning to the series. The mysteries are never all that great (though this one certainly is one of the best), but Hazel Holt does such a remarkably good job at describing Sheila's life and daily activities in the small village where she lives that she makes you feel as if you've taken up residence in Taviscombe an ...more
Josephine
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a fun series as a whole, though the setting is as enjoyable for me as the mysteries themselves; I appreciate a long-running series in which the characters are allowed to change and age with the passing years. Mrs Malory is herself now clearly feeling the twinges of age, though she was never a sprightly young thing during the course of the series. Her son finished college, started work and married, and his child is now old enough to have entered the horse horse horse! so familiar to many ...more
Jacky
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Sheila Mallory novels. I do enjoy them - the characters are exquisitely drawn & the minutiae of everyday life worth of JA (or of course, Barbara Pym)
Plotting is often a bit odd - well drawn up as an old-fashioned whodunnit with proper sleight-of-hand. But like her friend BP, HH cannot write truly bad characters. we always have to see villains "off-stage": observed from a distance, seen driving away in a car, information 3rd or 4th hand. The murderer always has an accid
Jane
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I continue to be happy with this series and this middle aged woman. Wonderful English manners and behaviors are a welcome change from the frantic American mystery. The only anxiety Mrs Malory seems to feel is when she muct visit her best friend's mother. In this one the deaths appear to be accidents and would have never been found out but for a little wiring problem. Very nice people are killed and the motive seems to be non-existent but there is always history of people that everyone is not awa ...more
Christine Meunier
This novel by Hazel Holt is set in the town of Taviscombe, England. Sheila Malory is the main character, an elderly grandmother who is friends with Charlie and Josephine Hamilton who run the local riding school her young grand daughter attends.

A Time to Die by Hazel Holt.

Sheila finds herself spending a lot of time at the stables as she takes her grand daughter for lessons and sometimes the grand daughter of her close friend Rosemary... more at http://equus-blog.com/a-time-to-die/
Susan
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
Sandy Weir
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Another cozy murder mystery... offering lots of perspectives on views of the society and people (from check out lines in the grocery to how to get ideas from volunteer workers), actually very amusing, entertaining and though provoking.
Mary
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one took a little bit to get into, but I'm glad I did. Quite the twist at the end. I honestly didn't see that coming.
Set in England, its fun to see the way different cultures do things, say things, etc
Linda
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Not one of my favorites, it was ok
Wendy
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I've read by Hazel Holt and I enjoyed it very much. The story kept my interest all the way through and the twist at the end was a surprise.
Judy
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
If these were such good friends of Sheila, why haven't we heard of them before? Life stories of some characters stretched belief. I didn't guess it, though.
Mary Newcomb
A local stable has several mysterious deaths. Mrs Malory is not satisfied with the explanations and digs further. She uncovers all (of course).
Carole
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Read the Kindle version of this "cozy" English mystery--pretty light and not really engaging.
Carol Peace
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realy enjoyed this book, the Shiela Mallory mysteries are really easy reading and it feels like I have known the area she lives for years. A thouroughly enjoyable book.
SHERRY
Nice cozy mystery to curl up with on a rainy day.

Angie Rhodes
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Good story, keeps you guessing,right to the end.. perfect mystery..Hazel is excellent at weaving you in,to the story,,gently.
Andy Plonka
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: src
file this one under one's where you can't guess the perpetrator because the author doesn't drop any pertinent clues. That being set it is not a bad scenario of British village life.

• Winter Of Discontent (Dorothy Martin, #9)
  • Farewell, Miss Zukas (Miss Zukas, #12)
  • Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop, #3)
  • The Scarlet Pepper (A White House Gardener Mystery, #2)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Angora Alibi (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #7)
  • The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts Mystery, #4)
  • Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)
  • The Body in the Snowdrift (Faith Fairchild, #15)
  • The Silence of the Llamas (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #5)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • The Caxley Chronicles
  • The Missing Madonna (Sister Mary Helen, #3)
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
Hazel Holt is a British novelist. She studied at King Edward VI High School for Girls in Birmingham, England, and then Newnham College, Cambridge. She went on to work at the International African Institute in London, where she became acquainted with the novelist Barbara Pym, whose biography she later wrote. She also finished one of Pym's novels after Pym died.

Holt wrote her first novel in her six

Mrs. Malory Mysteries (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • The Cruellest Month (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #2)
  • Mrs. Malory's Shortest Journey (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #3)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders