Start by marking “The Hunt (Shifter Origins, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hunt (Shifter Origins, #1)

The Hunt (Shifter Origins #1)

ebook
Published October 24th 2016 by Entangled Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunt

Mei
Oct 19, 2016 Mei rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
I received an eARC, from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

I liked it, but there's something in the way i was written that didn't make me love it.

The story is interesting, but too simple for my taste. You know since the start what will happen during the story, so I felt left down because I couldn't feel any suspense. I already knew how will fall in love with whom, who will betray, who will help.

Yes, the book is rather short, so I suppose if it was longer something cou
Elaine
This is the first novel in a new shifter paranormal series based in the Sajra, a great city, and the nearby Bilha Forest. It is in this city that the shifters live - there are lions, tigers, lepards, cheetahs . . . and the last of them all, the panthers. The prologue tells of their origins. Initially the majestic, wise and kind lions had ruled the city but they died out almost fifty years ago and the tigers took over. The rei and regis acted as king and queen but they were selfish and ensured th ...more
Christina
Oct 26, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
4 Stars - 3 Flames

Oh how I love me some shifters, but I think that this is the first time I've read about a crossover romance; Tigers and Panthers!!! Just a little helpful information before I start the review. Make sure you actually LOOK at the map at the beginning of the story. It really shows exactly where the Panthers and Tiger's live in proximity, as well as where the marketplace is in relation to their homes/forest.

Cara is a panther. A panther who, like the rest of her kind have been shunn
Elizabeth Neal
Oct 22, 2016 Elizabeth Neal rated it really liked it
Cara, a panther shifter, needs to provide for her family, her grandmother, Ryna, and little sister, Alina, and unfortunately, there are very few willing to trade with her kind. Cara heartbreakingly parts with the handmade scarf her father gifted to her mother at the Hunt that started their family...the last piece she has of her parents. As she's leaving the marketplace, the rei, the tiger king, makes an appearance, declaring the Hunt will start soon and that his son, Kael, the tiger prince, will ...more
Shrimalya
Oct 31, 2016 Shrimalya rated it liked it

An interesting start to a new fantasy series.I really loved the world building and the completely original setting the author has created.The story about the origin of the shifters is really fascinating.
In the world of Sajra, different kinds of shifters exist.After the lion shifters died out, the tiger shifters became the ruling monarchy.Panthers occupy the lowest rung in the shifter society, due to a mistake made by one of their ancestors.They are shunned,pushed out of the city and forced to li
Alison
How to describe this? It's like a mashup of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Cinderella but with Shifters. Cara is a panther, once all shifter species lived in peace and harmony under the benevolent rule of the lions but after a panther assassinated the last lion rei, the tigers took over and drove the panthers out of the town and into a conclave - I felt that the author maybe wanted me to draw parallels with segregation or Nazi Germany but TBH I thought that was a stretch. Visiting the market ...more
Denise Van plew
Oct 12, 2016 Denise Van plew rated it it was amazing
If not mistaken this author has not written many but fortunate for us readers she has chosen a series in paranormal. She will get you involved right away with Prince Kael whom will have a big upset. Whom he thinks caused it will also pull on emotional strings (just like this author does) with Cara being a suspect. When it is unraveling we get to be right there every step of the way. She will give us how love will conquer prejudice also. It will also be hard not to become attached to this prince ...more
Brittany
I received this from Netgalley/ Entangled Publishing in exchange for an honest review. This was book 1 in a new series by a new author for me. I had been on a historical fiction kick for a while now but when I heard about this book I decided to give it a shot. We have two people Kael and Cara who are apart of a world that is full of prejudice and injustice. They meet and their world is never the same. I enjoyed this story a great deal. It pulled me in and I couldn't put it down. I will be intere ...more
Boundless Book Reviews
It took a little bit for me to get into this book, but once I did, I couldn’t stop. The story is an interesting and unique look at shapeshifters; the characters are well developed and the story reads smoothly. The Hunt is the beginning of a series but doesn’t end in a cliffhanger, but it does end in a way to make you want to read more about Cara, Kael, and the people of Sajra.

Overall, I loved it and The Hunt is a strong 4 Boundless Star book....Beth

Katrina Berry
Oct 11, 2016 Katrina Berry rated it really liked it
The Hunt by Harper A. Brooks is Book 1 of the Shifter Origins Series.

An ARC was generously provided in exchange for an honest review and I did so voluntarily.

This is a shifter paranormal romance that is sure to appeal to many readers alike with it’s unique storyline and background of the shifter world and it’s beginnings, not to mention the mystery and suspense, action and heat that are woven beautifully in this read. What a great start to a new series. Nicely done Ms. Brooks!
Cassandra
Oct 19, 2016 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, blog-tour, arc, shifter
I am lucky to be part of the The Hunt Blog Tour and get a copy to read and do an honest review.

This is a great beginning of the Sifter Origins series. This is my first Harper A. Brooks story and it won’t be my last. She has delivered a shifter read that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Cara a panther shifter, needs to provide for her family, her grandmother, Ryna and little sister, Alina and unfortunately there are very few willing to trade with her kind. Cara heartbreakingly parts with th
Kristi Metcalf
Oct 06, 2016 Kristi Metcalf rated it really liked it
I received a copy for a honest review

This is my first Harper A. Brooks book and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I love shifters stories and the take the Brooks gave is her own little spin on the beginnings of feline shifters. Her storytelling pulled me in from the beginning with how it started right away and there was no lag time between the happenings in the foreword and the story itself.
Our story happens during a time and place that panther shifters are shunned and hated, tigers are the rul
Petula
Oct 17, 2016 Petula rated it really liked it
Tiger shifter Prince Kael has just witnessed the assassination of his father, and takes off after the killer. It appears to be one of the criminal panthers. In the days following the King's death Kael learns just how divided the different types of shifters that live in the city are.
Panther shifter Cara was trying to trade for food for her family, when someone killed the King. When it seems she is the target of the one looking for the killer, she runs, Nobody will believe a word a lowly panther
Mommaleena
Oct 29, 2016 Mommaleena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-be-read-again
•Ancestral Enemies

An absolute great start to a new shifter series. With this being my first Harper A Brooks!/ story I had no idea what to expect. You'll not only be on the edge of your seat as you turn page after page trying to solve the mystery, but you'll be intrigued from the prologue. She pulled me in with the background of Sajra~ “the blessed mother,” and I cannot wait to read more of these shifters!
Cara a panther shifter(quiet and submissive but more loyal than any of the others) went t
Brigitte
Oct 23, 2016 Brigitte rated it really liked it
The prologue in the first book of this series has an interesting and intriguing take on how the shifters were created.

Kael is a tiger shifter and next in line to become the "Rei", king of Salja. He has been groomed to follow in his father's footsteps. Something he has done blindly with no questions. Until now!

Cara is an orphan panther shifter who has taken on the responsibility of caring for her younger sister and grandmother. The panthers are the outcasts of the shifter community and are trea
Gigi staub
Oct 24, 2016 Gigi staub rated it really liked it
Prince Kael has just lost his father to an assassin, and he’s the next target. A murderer is on the loose, the kingdom is in disarray, and Kael is determined to make the person responsible for killing his father pay. But falling for the beautiful Cara, panther-shifter and main suspect in his father’s murder, wasn’t part of the plan. He’s not at all sure she did it, and he finds himself going against everything he’s ever known just to claim her.

The ceremonial Hunt is approaching, and mates must
JoDeen
Oct 22, 2016 JoDeen rated it it was amazing

The minute I heard about this book I was so excited .When I got the chance to read this book early I literally read it in 4 or 6 hours . I could not put it down ,The Hunt was a fantastic story by Harper A Brooks.

In this book we follow and Cara and Kael and I think it safe to say that these two definitely did not meet under the best circumstances . Kael thinks that Cara killed his father and gets her put in jail and Cara is already not the biggest fan of Tiger Shifter in the first places. However
Nikki Brooks
Oct 24, 2016 Nikki Brooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, pnr, arc-reviews
First read by this author and I wasn't disappointed! Set in the city of Sajra, it has a distincly middle eastern feel I felt. Great exotic location for a new PNR populated by all the Big Cats! We learn that sometime ago a Panther Shifter killed the Rei (King) and now all Panthers are shunned and they live in pretty much destitution. Cara, a panther, has the misfortune of being in the market when the current Rei is killed and is quickly rounded up as the assassin.

Prince Kael, is enraged and assum
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
This was a new series with a tale of origins of the shifter society that lived in the city and the nearby forest. I was pulled in by the society hierarchy of the different shifter cat species. The tug here and there. The suspense of who killed the king and why. How was the prince going to find the killer? How was the prince going to deal with his attraction to the wrong female shifter? Would there be a union between the species or war? Will they live to see the next day?

I got me a rich story of
Patricia
Oct 24, 2016 Patricia rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

The prologue gives us an origin to base the story on.
We are introduced to a variety of shifters that live in Sajra. Within this society the panthers on the lowest and looked down upon. When Kael captures and imprisons Cara for the murder of the rei but learns that what he believes is true and falls for Cara.

But do they have a chance in a society where she is on the bottom rung. Since this is the first book in a new series I'm giving it a four because I believe this is just an introduc
books4me
Oct 15, 2016 books4me rated it really liked it
This is a very unique telling of shifters. It isn't my kind of read but was enjoyable. Kael is prince to the shifters and has been taught to hate panthers from his parents. When his father is killed by a dart and the panther, Cara, is standing near where the dark came from, Kael is ready to kill her. Till he's talking to her in the prison and someone tries to kill him with a dart and Cara pushes him away. I did find it hard to believe that they fell for each other as fast as they did. I'll be in ...more
C. Erani Kole
Oct 22, 2016 C. Erani Kole rated it really liked it
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the advanced reader's copy I was gifted by NetGalley*

I really liked the whole world set up, how the different species of cat separated from one perfect being and turned into something sad and prejudice. The writing style was great, the characters were good, and the chemistry between the MCs were great, if not a little rushed in the beginning. The plot was a little surprising, and I absolutely loved the ending. Definitely a book to read.
Dalene
Oct 31, 2016 Dalene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to read pnr romance
First, I would like to thank the author who gifted the book to me through netgalley. I enjoyed this book although the concept of cross species getting together is newer to me. The characters are well developed and written. The storyline is good. I look forward to reading more from Harper A Brooks.
Gwen
Oct 25, 2016 Gwen rated it it was amazing
I am not usually big on paranormal stories but every once in awhile one comes along that grabs you and keeps you on your toes for the entire story. This is THE story! Add some paranormal with our heroine, some romance, and you have got a fantastic story.
Berneen Vidra
Oct 30, 2016 Berneen Vidra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Extraordinarily painted world, romance, shifters, love... everything I love in a book.
Melanie
Oct 14, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it
This is a great beginning of the Shifter Origins by Harper A. Brooks. I was not sure what to expect from this series but I can tell you that Harper A. Brooks has delivered a shifter read that will keep you on the edge of your seat as the whole mystery and suspense of the story unfold. I can say that I am glad that this is going to be a series and that we get more of these shifter characters from this author!

Prince Kale's father has been killed and he is on a mission to find out who did it. There
Rock
Feb 14, 2017 Rock rated it liked it
10/62
InD'tale Magazine
Books about shifters are available far and wide, but a story that contains only shifters and no pure humans is an unusual tale - made more fascinating by the presence of only feline shifters in a world steeped in history, mythology, and ritual.

Read full review in the 2017 February issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Shellby
Nov 02, 2016 Shellby rated it really liked it
At the beginning, I was pretty confused and the book started out slow. By the end of the book, I was not in love in it, but I liked the book. The Hunt is a different shifter book that what I typically see. I look forward to read the rest of the series.

-NightWolf Book Blog
Harper A. Brooks lives in a small town on the New Jersey shore. Even though classic authors have always filled her bookshelves, she finds her writing muse drawn to the dark, magical, and romantic. But when she isn't creating entire worlds with sexy shifters or legendary love stories, you can find her either with a good cup of coffee in hand or at home snuggling with her furry, four-legged son, Sam ...more
More about Harper A. Brooks...