Start by marking “The State of Grace” as Want to Read:
The State of Grace

The State of Grace

Sometimes I feel like everyone else was handed a copy of the rules for life and mine got lost.

Grace has Asperger's and her own way of looking at the world. She's got a horse and a best friend who understand her, and that's pretty much all she needs. But when Grace kisses Gabe and things start to change at home, the world doesn't make much sense to her any more.

Suddenly ev
Published April 6th 2017 by Macmillan Children's Books

C.G. Drews
Well. I read this one. I've now deleted my review after being attacked for my opinion too many times.
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Pan Macmillan and NetGalley.)

“it’s like living life in a different language, so you can’t ever quite relax because even when you think you’re fluent it’s still using a different part of your brain so by the end of the day you’re exhausted.”

This was a contemporary story about a girl with autism.

Grace was an okay character and it was clear how overwhelmed she felt by certain situations. I really did feel quite sorry for her when it c
Dash fan
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
5☆  I urge everyone to read this gem!

State of Grace is a beautiful and insightful story told by Grace who has Aspergers.
It is beautifully written, Well researched and for once Aspergers/Autism has been written about.
 Autism and Aspergers is very close to my heart. I worked with children with Autism and know the daily struggles trying to make sense of the world.

So when I was given the opportunity to read this beautiful book I jumped at the chance.

It was so nice to see the story told from Grace's
Karen Whittard
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley, Pan McMillan and Rachel Lucas for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On goodreads.com/karenwhittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

What a wonderful book highlighting Asperger's syndrome in a beautiful and sensitive way.

This book tells the story of Grace who has Aspergers. Grace lives at home with her younger sister
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
Rachael Lucas has written the most absolutely charming book about a teenager with Asperger’s who has a romance storyline. Yes, really.

A little aside here, people with autism are not often the subject of romances. We’re more often the problem child talked about through the eyes of a parent or we’re the weird relative, the best friend.

But not in A State of Grace, and that’s one of the many reasons why I loved it.

“Sometimes I feel like everyone else was handed a copy of the rules and mine got lost.
Natalie Monroe
Jan 09, 2017 marked it as to-read
That title.

(I had to do that.)
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
A cute slice-of-life story with a wonderfully relatable main character, even if she does have Asperger's that doesn't 'other' her, she also isn't infantilised or desexualised so YAY!
Maddie
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: stand-alones, ukya, arcs
A great capsule of teenage emotions and the struggles of family life, all in under 300 pages!
Suze Lavender
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Social situations are difficult for Grace. She has Asperger's and she would love to have a manual that tells her exactly how she should behave. Grace loves animals and has her own horse, Mabel. Being with her is simple, as Grace doesn't have to talk and she knows how to take care of her. Mabel feels safe. The same goes for Grace's best friend Anna and home, where Grace can be herself and find solitude and warmth.

When Grace's mother restores contact with a former best friend Grace's stability at
Atlas
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s, ya
And the funny thing I've figured out is that sometimes, when it seems like everything is falling apart, it's not the end - it's the beginning.

* * * .5
3.5 / 5

The State of Grace is a book about being young, growing up and having Asperger's by, I'm informed, an author on the autistic spectrum. I think these kinds of books are particularly important, so I was impressed not only by the sensitive depiction of Grace but by the fast-paced plot, solid writing, and the way Lucas managed to capture the aw
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
This is such an important book by #ownvoices author Rachael Lucas that follows teenager Grace as she navigates Asperger's and teenhood. Grace has the warmest, kindest heart and I loved every moment of being in her company. I predict that it'll do for autism what The Perks of Being a Wallflower did for mental health. Simply brilliant.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, friends, growing-up, first-love, control.

It took me about five chapters to settle into this book, there was something about the style that took me some time to get into. But once I was in that was me, and I couldn't put it down, I couldn't stop turning the pages.

I loved Grace and her relationship with her sister and her mother, and how it wasn't all sunshine and fluffy white clouds. Evie (booooooo) comes into their lives and just astonishingly awful, a big dark cloud that sets i
Sophie
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-teenage-books
A moving, honest, heartfelt and informative Own Voices story about Grace, who has autism, and the struggles she faces in a particular period of her life. I couldn't put this book down! A great read for young teenagers.
Kirsty McGhie
This review is about someone with mental diversity so if I have made a mistake with wording please let me know, like I ask for all my reviews!

The State of Grace follows Grace, a teen with Asperger's whose dad is a wildlife photographer as a boy takes a romantic interest in her for the first time ever. But then things start to change at home and her whole world seems to go skewiff.

I haven't heard much about this book online really which I think is a shame because it's a nice read. It's an own voi
Samantha (WLABB)
I was really curious about this book for several reasons. I was eager to read an #OwnVoices YA romance featuring a character with ASD, as this is not something I see often, and I must say, my experience was rather wonderful. NOTE: I have read a ton of reviews from reviewers with ASD, and all approved of the rep.

• Pro: I'd be hard pressed to find a person out there, who didn't fall in love with Grace. She was funny, smart, and really honest. Her commentary on most situations left me smiling and s
Steph
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful!
Charlotte
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want all my friends to read this. I want to give this to anyone who looks at me like I'm stupid/rude, to anyone who thinks I'm a freak, to anyone and everyone who doesn't understand what it's like to live with Asperger's. I feel like this is definitely one of the most important books of 2017 and I want everyone to know. I think this makes a great 'comfort book' in that I will reread this over and over when I have a bad day or when I want to connect to someone similar to me. The way it's writte ...more
Kelly
The State of Grace is such a charming and heartfelt read. Rachael Lucas has truly put part of herself into Grace and I am so thankful to her for writing this wonderful #OwnVoices young adult novel.

This book tells the story of Grace, a teenage girl with Asperger’s. Grace has a unique view of the world and those around her and this book truly allows us a glimpse into her world. Not only do we get to share this unique view of her world, we also see how Grace is often treated differently because of
Lucy Powrie
I’ve been a very big fan of Rachael Lucas’s books ever since I read Sealed With A Kiss and fell in love with it. That meant I got super excited when I heard that Rachael was working on a YA novel. I was very lucky to get to read an early chapter of The State of Grace back when it didn’t have a book deal, so I’ve waited patiently ever since to read the final thing. I was not disappointed!

It’s hard to describe exactly what The State of Grace is about because it’s one of those books that you really
Dominique
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from the staff library at work. Part of me really wanted to read it and part of me was thinking “ulh yet another book about an autistic teen, where they’ll dramatise the worst ASD traits for dramatic effect and reenforce the standard stereotype like Sheldon”

I am glad I read it because this book nailed what it’s like to be a high functioning autistic female. Yes Grace is a teen (age 16) but it clearly shows how autistic minds function, how we struggle to do a simple adult shi
rachelwrites007
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autism, favorites
Oh goodness was this book exhausting. Mostly because I too am on the spectrum and so is Grace and her inner thoughts were tiring, just like mine. But for real, it was DELIGHTFUL. If you have ever wanted to get inside MY head, or anyone else with autism spectrum disorder, read this book!!!

I loved Grace so, so much. She is 15 years old and on the autism spectrum and says and thinks just like someone who is on the spectrum DOES. This is so rare to read about - how tired she is after many social ev
Aoife
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want to set Eve on fire.
Rachel
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The State of Grace is Rachael Lucas’ debut YA novel, and tells the story of Grace, a teenager with Asperger’s, as she finds her way in the world.

The State of Grace is a beautifully told story that I couldn’t put down. As an Own Voices book, you really get a sense of Grace and who she is, and this will show that there is more to those with Asperger’s than the labels we put on them. Grace is a funny and sensitive narrator, and her story will reach out to everyone who reads it.
Mallory De man
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Copy received from Netgalley in return for an honest review,

Full Review: https://malloryreadsblog.wordpress.co...

I personally felt this book was quite original compared to other books on mental health I've read. I didn't find the focus was constantly on the fact that the main character had a mental disorder but was actually more about her day to day life and relationships.

I think it does highlight Aspergers really well and give a deeper understanding to people who have it. But as I said there
Kirsty
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is just perfect and a wonderful example of everything I love about UKYA.

I loved this book because I got to meet Grace. Grace has Aspergers and it was very interesting to see how that affected her life day to day and I felt like it gave me real insight into how someone with Aspergers deals with day to day life and the challenges their condition throws at them making every day things that bit more difficult.

I loved Grace from the first page because she is really sweet and loving even if
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Note: I received an advanced reading copy from a local distributor in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Initial thoughts: I really liked The State of Grace. While I've had friends with Asperger's Syndrome/autism, and knew that they struggled with social interactions, I didn't realise how drained they could feel at the end of the day. Reading this book based on the author's own experiences gave me a greater insight into such exp
Edel
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This was an intriguing story about a teenager called Grace who has Aspergers . Not being familiar with Aspergers this was a fascinating look into the life of a teenager who had experience with this . I love that we see the story from Grace's perspective so we see how it effects her day to day life at school and hear the thoughts and fears going around in her head as she interacts with others , and how everyday pressure and stress effect her and what helped her during those times . Grace is a swe
Alessandra Crivelli
This book didn't really find its way to me.

I don't know if it's the writing or it just wasn't the right time for this story but I really didn't enjoy it or even care about the MC. I couldn't really get into this book!

The writing didn't compel me.
The main characters didn't stick with me.
And I generally wasn't really interested about the storyline.

I know this book has like tons of good reviews but it just didn't leave me with anything.

I AM SORRY! Probably I am going to read again in the futu
D.J.
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful read! As a person with autism and a mother of a teen with autism I felt that this novel manages to show what life is like for a teen with autism without stereotyping. I wish this book had been around when I was a teen so I could have brandished it at people as a way to try explain my behaviours when I wasn't able to.
Carlie Sorosiak
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truly delightful and incredibly touching. I adored Grace's voice, and the smooth way this story unfolds. It's an important book; Grace has Asperger's, and we get a huge glimpse into the way she views the world. The State of Grace also features a fantastic horse named Mabel who is an absolute star. Place this at the top of your contemporary YA TBR pile for 2017.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Songs About A Boy (Songs About A Girl, #3)
  • Unboxed
  • Blackout (Darkness Trilogy, #1)
  • Unconventional
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)
  • Me and Mr J
  • Countless
  • Margot & Me
  • Truly, Wildly, Deeply
  • The Junior Bridesmaid
  • Another Life (When I Was Joe, #3)
  • The Baby
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World
Rachael Lucas lives by the seaside in the north west of England with her partner and her four children.

For more about Rachael, visit her blog here

You can add Rachael on Facebook here
and follow her on Instagram.
You can also follow her boards on Pinterest.

“The day you stop learning, my love, is the day you stop living.” 2 likes
“And I think for a moment, because people don't actually ask that very often. They tell me what they think I feel because they've read it in books, or they say incredible things like "autistic people have no sense of humour or imagination or empathy" when I'm standing right there beside them (and one day I'm going to point out that that is more than a little bit rude, not to mention Not Even True) or they -- even worse -- talk to me like I'm about five, and can't understand.
"It's like living with all your senses turned up to full volume all the time," I say. "And it's like living life in a different language, so you can't ever quite relax because even when you think you're fluent it's still using a different part of your brain so by the end of the day you're exhausted.”
2 likes