Start by marking “Il giorno del giuramento” as Want to Read:
Il giorno del giuramento

Il giorno del giuramento (Cotton Malone #11)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  7,926 Ratings  ·  746 Reviews
Roma, 1982. Quando Ronald Reagan varca la soglia degli appartamenti privati del papa, Giovanni Paolo II fa uscire tutti i presenti, comprese le guardie del corpo. Lasciare soli il pontefice e il presidente degli Stati Uniti è una grave infrazione del protocollo e un rischio per la sicurezza. Ma nessuno deve venire a conoscenza del loro segreto…
Washington, oggi. Dopo due ma
Hardcover, Narrativa Nord, 468 pages
Published September 22nd 2016 by Nord (first published April 5th 2016)

Alex is The Romance Fox
I’ve enjoyed reading Steve Berry’s Cotton Malone Series but the latest and 11th adventure, The 14th Colony, was somewhat a bit of a disappointment for me.

Whilst I like the way the author blends in well researched historical mysteries with present day conspiracies, I found the plot, which revolves around the time of the Cold War and a lot of the USA amendments……Russian zealots bent on bringing down the USA today………..after a while I found myself skipping and skimming a lot of pages…….may I admit t
Frances
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Berry has written a very believable plot along with several accurate and interesting facts that took place prior to the cold war, during the cold war and finally at its end. The Society of Cincinnati has been hiding secret archives for years and former Russian KGB spies are desperate to locate them to aid in their quest to bring about the downfall of the United States. Cotton Malone is back and flying on a mission to Siberia on a Russian Sukhoi /HAL fighter to locate Aleksandr Zorin, who i ...more
Elaine Tomasso
I would like to thank Hodder & Stoughton for a free copy of The 14th Colony which I won in a Goodreads giveaway.

The novel opens with Cotton Malone flying over a remote part of Siberia when he is shot down. After that it is non stop action with a rogue former KGB agent determined to wreak his revenge on the U.S. And Cotton and his team equally determined to stop him.

This is a series I have dipped in and out of over the years, although not for a while. The 14th Colony, which, incidentally refe
Susan Johnson
The best part of this book to me was the concept that President Reagan and the Pope plotted the destruction of the USSR. It explains so much about the Star Wars program. The author asserts there really was a private meeting between the two men and the discussion is still a secret. A big secret since both men are now dead but this is Berry's jump off point for this installment in the Cotton Malone series.

The thing I enjoy about his books are the mixture of fact and fiction of events in history.
elithea
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
didn't finish. barely got past the reagan hagiography. unlike much of berry's audience, apparently, i was actually around when reagan was doing this crap. and crap it was. there is nothing in berry's writking that redeems this mess. makes me feel slimy just listening to as much of it as i did.
Natasa
A political / spy / adventurous novel that is somewhat unobtrusive, but in fact can be more realistic than it seems. Action is good when it happens. I have never developed any identification with any of the characters, whether good or evil, to worry if they have succeeded or failed. I enjoyed the main story line and the more recent history but I have enjoyed other books much more.
Diana Slivinska
I enjoy Steve Berry's writing, but I had some issues with this book.

First off, I could have done without the Reagan hagiography. I loathed Reagan, and I find even a fictional attempt to rehabilitate him off-putting.

I like the characters, but I found the repeated emphasis on Cotton & Cassiopeia's renewed relationship unnecessary. I read the prior book, and I barely remembered "what happened in Utah" to cause problems between them - and honestly, I didn't care. In my opinion, it would have bee
Zorka Zamfirova
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zanimljivo.
Suzan
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have liked several of Steve Berry's books, though some of them are stinkers. This is the latter. Great if you like relentless scenes of people getting bombed, stabbed, shot, set on fire, etc. Why Cotton Malone hasn't developed PTSD is anyone's guess. The huge Secret at the end is obvious from a long way away. It will annoy you no end if you don't think Ronald Reagan was right up there with God. This has everything, in a kind of stew: Evil KGB fanatics and sleeper cells; nefarious secrets of a ...more
Iris
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved Steve Berry's books, until the last 2. To me The Patriot Games was so boring that I almost did not finish it, and could only skim it to the end. Its lucky that I got a copy of The 14h Colony from Netgalley for review as I am not sure I would have tried it on my own. Berry is back on track, writing a thriller with lots of historical background. The history here concerns the founding of America, the War of 1812, and the fall of the Soviet Union while the thriller concerns a revenge ...more
Carl Alves
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read a novel by Steve Berry and I was hardly impressed. But with the combination of the cool cover and the concept behind the story, I was intrigued. What I found was that the execution matched the concept. Berry had a strong writing style that enhanced the tenor of the story. It was very reminiscent of Brad Meltzer when he is on his game.

There are several things going on in this novel, and it wasn’t always clear where it was heading. One part involved historical references to t
Sheryle
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The 14th Colony by Steve Berry is number 11 in the Cotton Malone series. If you're already a fan of the series, you know what you'll be getting. If you haven't read one before, while you might enjoy the actual story, there will be some things mentioned that you probably won't understand. These really are books that should be read in order for the most enjoyment.

Several years ago I read the first 5 books of the series and enjoyed them. Last year, after a break of several years I read the 8th boo
Stephanie Taylor-baptiste
Jo Dervan
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is the last days of President Daniels 2nd term and Cotton Malone is back to work for the US. This time he is asked by Stephanie Nelle, his former boss at the Magellan Billet, to travel to Siberia to track a former KGB agent and a former KGB archivist meeting in secret. Stephanie and her operatives are convinced that two are involved in a plot to activate high impact bombs from the Cold War days.
So begins another adventure involving Ronald Reagan, Pope John Paul, the Society of Cincinnati, a f
Rachel
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the Goodreads Giveaway and St. Martins publishing company in exchange for an honest review. I love Steve Beery books and was thrilled to receive this one early. However, it was hard for me to get into this book. I found it very wordy and a bit dull till the very end. But it's only this book, every other Steve Berry book I have loved!
The Real Book Spy
See this review and more at TheRealBookSpy.com

When it comes to historical fiction, nobody is better than Steve Berry – who once again shows why he’s one of the best in the thriller genre with his latest Cotton Malone thriller, The 14th Colony.

Steve Berry’s books read like the love child of a National Treasure movie and a Brad Thor novel. This time around, you could even throw in a little Mission Impossible or 24.

Usually I recommend Berry’s work to history nuts, but he’s incorporated enough espio
William
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May not be interesting to readers who have a shallow understanding of the history and politics. I recommend this to those who might consider learning about politics more enlightening than going out in the streets trying to win friends through immature and impolite mob protesting.
Marty Mcintyre
I am a big fan of the Cotton Malone series, thus the 3 stars, but this one was not as satisfying as his earlier novels. As always, Steve Berry manages to mix well researched historical events with political intrigue. Somehow the idea that Canada would be America's 13th Colony was not fully explored in this novel so the title is somewhat misleading. The issues with the Presidential Succession Act that were exposed in this novel is very timely considering the current political climate here. As the ...more
Barbara
Good, not great. Wasn't as complex as many others. Still, it'll be interesting to see what comes next.

Wow...Later 2016--October 30 to be exact. I checked this out of the library, not realizing I had read it in June! My experience is way different this time, given the 2016 Presidential, etc. elections. I simply don't understand the absence of a moral center in...apparently...many Americans.

This remind you of anyone? "More likely a dangerous sociopath...Highly motivated achievers, alarmingly effi
David Eppenstein
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thrillers
Another great Cotton Malone tale. The historic hook in this novel is the U.S. history of trying to invade Canada and the legal defects in our 20th Amendment and the Congressional Act of Presidential Succession. I hesitate to say more lest I spoil the enjoyment that we Berry fans have for these books and the author. I will simply say that this is a good one with Cotton and Cassiopeia back together and in the thick of the action as usual. These books are fun and entertaining and you can learn some ...more
Stephen
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed the latest in the cotton malone series based around invasion of canada and being the 14th colony as the background to a rogue soviet agent as this plot becomes a fast page turner and berry again mixes history with fiction
KSMary
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my least favorite of the series so far. I still liked it because of the characters but not very "thrilling" overall.
Ryan Hillis
Cotton Malaone saves Washington D.C. and the new U.S. President from a rouge Russian special forces solider from using a suitcase nuke!!
Sherry Royal
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
If you are a Steve Berry and Cotton Malone fan, this is as good as it gets! It starts off with a suspenseful situation, and the events following are fast paced and riveting. I couldn't read it fast enough.

I loved the part about the Pope and Ronald Reagan putting their heads together. Fascinating, even if only a good story!

I also liked this one because of the plot to take over Canada! Being Canadian, I thought that was pretty cheeky, but made the book even more interesting.
Angela
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History and thriller and puzzles all are interwoven into a wonderful plot. Love Cotton Malone
Kay
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive-audio
Yes, this is another excellent Cotton Malone, and it wasn't a writer's cut edition so all the commentary was left to the end, where I certainly prefer it.

Scott Brick's Russian accents sometimes failed the characters, but Steve Berry's twists and turns in this episode were some of his best to date. Without spoilers, let me just say that Stephanie Nelle as a character gets better and better, as does Luke Daniels.

And the writer's notes at the end did send me off on a research tangent once more--thi
David
Very good read and a plausible plot. Revolutionary War history, KGB, Presidential politics, and a host of interesting characters... quite a mix.

This was my first Steve Berry novel. I'll seek others.
jingles
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Mr. Berry, you never disappoint. Thank you for this wonderful story, and the amazing Cotton Malone series.

The narration by Scott Brick is very well done!
Beverley Albright
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Berry and Cotton Malone have done it again....another exciting adventure. It is hard to believe that anything to do with the Revolutionary War could be that relevant today, but Berry proves us wrong. With his usual talent, he blends decades of history into one amazing story.

In this book, you go from the Revolutionary War, thru the Cold War, right into events happening today. Amidst all this amazing history are characters you love and learn to hate and recognize in our political arena today
Around the Year i...: The 14th Colony, by Steve Berry 1 10 May 15, 2017 08:45PM
  • War Hawk (Tucker Wayne, #2)
  • The End Game (Templar, #5)
  • Foreign Agent (Scot Harvath, #15)
  • The Romanov Conspiracy
  • Beyond the Ice Limit (Gideon Crew, #4; Ice Limit #2)
  • The Forgotten Soldier (Pike Logan, #9)
  • The Revelation Code (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #11)
  • The Emperor's Revenge (The Oregon Files, #11)
  • His Reluctant Lady (Marriage by Scandal, #3)
  • Master of My Dreams (Heroes of the Sea, #1)
  • Secret of the Templars (Templar, #9)
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
  • The Ultimatum (Jeremy Fisk #3)
  • Brazen Heiress (Brazen, #2)
Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of The Lost Order , The 14th Colony , The Patriot Threat , The Lincoln Myth , The King's Deception, The Columbus Affair , The Jefferson Key , The Emperor's Tomb , The Paris Vendetta , The Charlemagne Pursuit , The Venetian Bet
More about Steve Berry

Cotton Malone (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1)
  • The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone, #2)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • The Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone, #4)
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
“Don’t argue with an idiot, he’ll only beat you with experience.” 3 likes
“A quote from the American Thomas Jefferson. “A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have.” 1 likes