Start by marking “Dream Woods” as Want to Read:

Dream Woods

When Vince Carter takes a shortcut to work he notices a billboard that nearly sends him into an oncoming van.

The ad is for Dream Woods, New England’s answer to Disney World. It closed decades ago, but now that it’s back in business, Vince is eager to take his whole family, hoping the magic he remembers will save his failing marriage.

His wife, Audra,
Published October 1st 2016 by Sinister Grin Press

To ask other readers questions about Dream Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Woods

Kimberly
(This is the Thunderstorm Black Voltage edition)

4.5 stars!

Frank Errington
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

I love amusement parks, especially the old ones from my youth. The local ones were the best, where sometimes it seemed the rides were likely to fall apart while you were still riding them. The ones within an hour's drive from where I grew up. Lakewood Park, West Point Park, and Willow Grove Park, all in Southeastern Pennsylvania. In it's dying days, the later was known as Six Gun Territory. I remember they used to have a small wooden coaster, The Scenic, exciting not because of it's s
Bark
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vince remembers Dream Woods through a pleasant veil of childhood memory. Even though bad things (murder, murder and more murder!) were rumored to have happened there and it was shut down years ago, Vince learns that the bloods been cleaned up and it’s been re-opened. He decides that it will be a most excellent vacation destination even if his wife would much rather head to a resort and lounge around a beach all day (I’m with her). He feels it will help bring his family closer together.

He is quit
Bill
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This ain’t no Walley World. The gears of these rides are oiled with human blood.

If your marriage is on the rocks and you feel like the family is falling apart, what could be better than taking a little road trip to your favorite amusement park as a kid. Sure, it was closed down years ago due to a series of brutal murders, but it has just reopened and I’m sure they cleaned up most of the body parts and gore by now. Maybe. Or maybe, it’s just reopening for round two.

There’s something about amuseme
Karl
This hardcover edition is copy 14 of 52 signed numbered editions signed by Patrick Lacey.
Kimberly
4.5 stars!

DREAM WOODS, by Patrick Lacey, is the first book I have read by this author. It turned out to be more than enough to get me looking into everything else he's written. We begin with Vince Carter, a heavily-tattooed, one-time rock singer; now in a routine Accounting job that he took up to become a "family man". After learning that his--then girlfriend--and punk-rocker, Audra, was pregnant with twins, he married her and happily settled down. Only Audra never completely "settled", and Vinc
Nev Murray
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I can’t remember the last time I had a nightmare after reading a book. It has been a couple of years. To me, this demonstrates just how much this story affected me. It definitely tapped into my innermost fears and gave them a great big poke with a sharp stick."

See here for the full review:

Ken McKinley
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
Vince and Audra's marriage is more than on the rocks, it's on life support. Audra has already left Vince once in the middle of the night and then couldn't go through with leaving her twin boy's, one of which is diabetic, and her husband all alone and returned. Vince is looking for anything that can save their marriage. He turns to a mysterious billboard that he sees on his way to work one morning. Its advertising Dream Woods, an old amusement park that burned to the ground when he was a kid. App ...more
The Grim Reader
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
‘Dream Woods’ was the perfect book to enjoy once I returned home from terrorizing the locals on Halloween. The story follows the journey of a family that is slowly falling apart. Vince, his wife Audra and their two sons take a trip to defunct theme park ‘Dream Woods’, a tourist attraction that has a somewhat evil history involving a number of deaths, but now appears to have reopened?! The trip is supposed to reignite the passion and fun that Vince and Audra once shared but ends up becoming a nig ...more
Aly
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this creepy, scary book. The narrator did a great job again and I loved how he may his voice a bit different for the characters. Dream Woods was a scary place once and some how it reopens to be scarier. The story made me think a little of Six Flags and Disney but a creepy one of each. I could see this as a horror movie in my mind if done correctly. *This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.*
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
DREAM WOODS (Sinister Grin Press) is the latest release from horror newcomer, Patrick Lacey.

This book revolves around the Massachusetts theme park, Dream Woods. The park was the highlight of so many kids in its heyday. After a number of horrible incidents, the place which earned the new moniker, “Scream Woods”, is shut down. The park is left to rot and disappear.

Years later, when Vince Carter drives by and sees the park has re-opened, he romanticizes the best week of his childhood and imagines a
Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: DREAM WOODS by Patrick Lacey

All my life, since early childhood, I've found the concept of amusement parks frightening. Why? I've never been near one. Until now: reading the excellent DREAM WOODS, I finally understand the root of my fears. How can I encapsulate the terror?

Patrick Lacey is a wonderfully subtle writer. Life, for his characters, proceeds normally [albeit dysfunctionally], until--smack!! The terror!! The frights take many forms, from childhood boogeyman made real, to murder,
Nick
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
If Bentley Little had a baby with your favorite over the top 80s gorefest. Seriously, this one is non stop fun from beginning to end.
Veronica
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is just something about amusement parks that makes them a perfect setting for tales of sheer horror.
Vince Carter is wondering what went wrong with his life and his marriage when he happens to see an advertisement for Dream Woods on a bill board where he spent many a happy vacation as a child until it was shut down because of a few gory accidents and became known as "Scream Woods". The theme park has re-opened and Vince decides to take his family there as a last ditch attempt to save his m
Justin
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A well narrated 3 star novel.
Eddie Generous
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Unnerving Magazine Review
Much more than haunted, Patrick Lacey’s Dream Woods pins the fun and fluffy on a board and spins it toward chaotic terror. This story has a wide swatch of themes and tones mashed together, many juvenile in hue, with violence and four-letter language.
Nostalgia and disillusionment fuel the parents of twin boys. Marital tension and ill-considered efforts at repair put the family at the gates of Dream Woods, an amusement park dearest daddy-o loved as a lad before it shut dow
Angela Crawford
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author and/ or publisher and I am reviewing it voluntarily. I did not receive any sort of compensation. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this book.

Dream Woods is a fast paced terror ride that you may not escape from. It has an old school horror feel to it that made it a blast to read. Vince is believable as a man who desperately wants to keep his family together. Audra annoyed me at first, she really needed to grow up and realize
Tim Meyer
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was like an old R.L. Stine Goosebumps story on blue meth. Patrick Lacey knows how to tell a kick-ass horror story, chock full of terrifying childhood monsters and relatable characters with real-world problems. Although it was the perfect the length, I didn't want it to end. I highly recommend this short novel for lovers of all types of horror.
Robin Lee
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Escapism: (The promise of this, is what kept me turning the pages). Tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, seeking entertainment or engaging in Fantasy.

Author, Patrick Lacey gives you a roller-coaster ride of pure terror, where you don’t want to be locked in the seats safely. He manages to take your childhood delights and dreams, then turns it into, literal “Hell”. Right from the beginning seeing that Build Board Sign on the highway with Sebastian the Bear, the park’
Peter
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vince Carter was driving home from work one day and noticed a sign, that almost sent him into a oncoming Van. The sign had a picture of the parks mascot Sebastian and said welcome one and all to Dream Woods. Vince had fond memories as a boy of this great amusement park. It had been closed down for over twenty years. The park was closed because of the dead bodies and other things that they found there. People claimed that the entrance to Dream Woods, was the entrance to hell. Vince could not wait ...more
David Murphy
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I've read by Patrick Lacey and it will not be my last. Dream woods is one of those books that if you have a few hours free then you will read it in one sitting (it is very hard to put down once you have started). It builds up speed from the start and never once slows down.

I never thought while reading this that it was being dragged out, the book is short and to the point, but not too short. The descriptions in the book really help with getting a visual of everything going
Noigeloverlord
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A True Haunted Thrill Ride!

My first Patrick Lacey and wow was it a great read. Every other Haunted Theme Park book I have read was a huge let down to me,because the ones I have read went completely off track and usually most of the book was about everything except the Park. Dream Woods take just the right amount of time to set up before you are thrown into a crazy world of a Dark and Demented Amusement Park.
Paul Downey
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
An all or nothing brutal story

Dream Woods is a story that moves at a rapid pace and contains some twisted visuals. It does feel slightly rushed as so much is crammed in but was enjoyable read.
Michelle VanDaley
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
My review is based on the Audiobook. Dream Woods will take you to the dark places of everything that you fear. It will draw you in and not let go until the end. Joe Hempel is quickly becoming one of my fave narrators with his distinguishable character voices and perfect pacing. I look forward to more from this Author & narrator.
Stacy
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I really enjoyed this book.The author put a whole new spin on "Haunted Theme Parks" and it was a doozy.I read alot of horror and have for many years but this book still had me wondering how in the heck Patrick Lacey came up with such an idea. It was so strange AND awesome at the same time! I look forward to reading more by this author.I also love the cover a
Kyle Rader
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The happiest place on earth can sometimes also be the bloodiest.

This review will be SPOILER FREE.

Dream Woods. What can I say? It's the latest from Patrick Lacey, whom, I can safely say, is well on his way to becoming a significant voice in the horror fiction community. Hey! Do you like cults? Do you like haunted things? Do you like chaotic, bloody violence and monsters from dimensions that do not have names?

You should probably go read James Joyce, then, as this book has none of those.

(I lied. I
Douglas Castagna
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was reminded of Bentley Little when I picked up this book, I mean a Haunted Amusement park, come on! Why wasn't this book written already, well because Lacey had not written it yet. I like Amusement parks in theory, they are too crowded and they gouge the consumer to death, but there is some undeniable charm and anchor to our childhood that is unmistakable. Lacey builds on this and extends my feelings so we can find out that Amusement parks are not just bad, they can be Hell!

Great action and s
Zakk Madness
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I first came to know Patrick Lacey trough A Debt to be Paid, a charming and creepy debut novella. It was an enjoyable read. A few months later I had an opportunity to reacquaint with his work by way of Sleep Paralysis, a collection of Patrick’s short stories that more or less knocked my socks off. It tickled some of my darker places and prodded me in the feels a time or two. So, suffice to say that I was very excited to jump into Dream Woods, his latest release from Sinister Grin Press.

Did it fl
Lana Mason
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wtf, horror, ghosts
(I am reviewing the audio version of the book, just so you know. :) )

Lemme tell you... I'm slowly making my way through Joe Hempel's library of narrated works because his voice is a joy to listen to. He's great at urban fantasy but so far where he really shines is horror for me. He's got this quality to his voice, which is so unique. It's like he's sitting at a campfire, gesturing for all of us to 'Come round, come round, I've got a story to tell you', and then proceeds to act out the story in a
Thomas Joyce
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first thing you notice with this book will be that cover by Kelly Martin and Scott Carpenter. We can see the typical fairground attractions in the background, and that is great. That is what we are led to believe the theme park Dream Woods is all about. But then there is Sebastian, the furry overgrown mascot for the park, standing in the foreground and looking less huggable than a cactus crawling with scorpions. And take note of the portcullis in the archway with the stone gargoyle to the si ...more
Gore and More: Dream Woods - Patrick Lacey 1 7 Feb 07, 2017 11:01AM
Patrick Lacey was born and raised in a haunted house. He currently spends his nights and weekends writing about things that make the general public uncomfortable. He lives in Massachusetts with his wife, his oversized cat, and his muse, who is likely trying to kill him.

Twitter: @patlacey