Start by marking “Fortune in Blood” as Want to Read:
Fortune in Blood

Fortune in Blood

(Joey Peruggia #Prequel novel)

Mystery, Thriller & Suspense.

A NOVEL OF MURDER, THEFT, BETRAYAL AND MONEY ...
LOTS OF IT ...

Joey used to be a carefree surfer kid on Venice Beach. But as the youngest son of a notorious gangster, it seems he can't escape the life. Soon he's forced to prove himself by leading a team in the heist of the century. Will he be able to pull it off?

Vince was always worried about ge
Published September 23rd 2016 by Phil Philips (first published September 15th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune in Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune in Blood

Start your review of Fortune in Blood
Donadee's Corner
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Donadee's Corner by: Author
Fortune in Blood LA Crime Heist Thriller by Phil Philips Review
Action filled thriller Prequel to Amazon Best Seller Mona Lisa's Secret.

Joey used to be a carefree surfer kid on Venice Beach. But as the youngest son of a notorious gangster, it seems he can’t escape the life. Soon he’s forced to prove himself by leading a team in the heist of the century. Will he be able to pull it off? Vince was always worried about getting to lectures on time, and spending time with his hot girlfriend. But everyt
Read Ng
This was a GoodReads giveaway of a Kindle ebook.

The writing is okay, but apparently the author is not a Californian native. More likely he is British. There could be a lot more attention to detail for my tastes. I think I am becoming increasingly nit picky about technical details. Why does the bank have so much cash in their vault? Where are the bank teller's bullet proof enclosures? Why is there never a GSR test? How can you make such huge cash payments in new bills without raising someone's ey
Rosemary Hughes
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world of corruption and coercion, there are those who stand for the rights of the people. Those that stand tall, and refuse to bend to those that believe money and power, can overcome anyone's ethics and beliefs.
So, we have the mafia boss and his blood family, all who enjoy the fruits of the ill gotten gains.
On the other hand, you have the law enforcers; the police and FBI.
However, there's a few in the ranks of the Law, that are easily convinced to turn a blind eye, with a kickback to them.
Maggies Daisy
The powerful Peruggia crime family of Los Angeles has bungled an enormous heist and lost the patriarchs eldest son in the ensuing gunfight at the bank. JoeyPeruggia, the carefree surfer son, is now expected to step into his brother's shoes and recover the millions of money sitting in police headquarters. FBI agent has been dating the eldest son and wants her share of the millions along with the corrupt cops who are in the Peruggia's pocket who will breeze the way for the heist. But things never ...more
Dave
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to author Phil Philips for this Kindle copy of Fortune in Blood, which I received FREE through First Reads.

Good story line with a nice set of devious characters. The writing itself didn't feel tight, thought out and organized. One other issue I had was that the story takes place in California, but the verbiage could easily have placed it in England. Other than that, Fortune in Blood was a good read, with just ONE editing issue I can recall, which far outshines the majority of e-books
Steve Weiner
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The summary on this book said that it was a prequel about Joey’s exploits before Mona Lisa’s Secret. It does take place before the storyline of that book, but Joey is just one of many characters, and certainly not the main one.

This is a story about a bank robbery orchestrated by Joey’s father and brother, and its aftermath. The first half of the book was a little slow in developing. The second half was riveting, and I couldn’t put it down. Be prepared for some twists and turns on the way to a su
Donna White
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I read this book after reading the other 2 books in the series, not knowing it existed. However it made no difference. If you read this before or after you will greatly enjoy the read. This is the team of Joeys' beginnings. His brutal father and how he escaped being a criminal. It's a tale of 2 young college age boys from 2 different backgrounds who become entwined I a thriller you don't want to miss.
PWA Allen
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one book that grabs and never let's go. Fast paced, alot of murders, robberies, bad cops, 6 million that everyone wants, manipulation on top of manipulation, it never stops. Twists that prove you never trust anyone.
One question, why wasn't the detective tested for GSR after being framed for shooting Alexander? Too obvious not to be included.
However, it was a good story and an enjoyable read.
Torrey Grennan
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. I wavered between giving this a 2 star and a 3 star rating. Ultimately went with a three because it kept me wanting to read to the end. What can I say, I like a good heist and a long con. The main problem I had was that the author tended to over explain things, to state the obvious. It made the reading a bit thick at times.
Geraldine R. Gaugler
Exciting

The story was good and held your attention, but as I have said before I just don like all the foul language. I didn't really care for the ending of this book either. I won't be reading any more of his books.
Wenzel Roessler
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book for me started off at 4 stars, dropped to 3 in the middle, but ended at 5. So four overall. I like the characters, especially Vince and his dad. There were some obvious plot turns but there were a few that came out of nowhere. A bit choppy and a few plot holes but a good read overall.
Thomas Lennek
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good characters, good plot. Internal politics within Police Department did not seem realistic. For a story set in Southern California, British terms like: "putting a body in a boot of a car", or a "singlet wearing" thug, our me off.

Kathy Stibal
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a long time. Full of action and twists & turns that leave you wondering who are the bad guys or is everybody a bad guy? This book was well thought out especially with how it ended. I stayed up way too late reading because I couldn't put it down! ...more
Rick Molitor
Crime thriller

I thought that the story was okay. There was nothing original or overly thrilling about it. The characters were what you would have expected. Not a bad read but not a great one.
Kim  Gregory
May 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Started this and then ran into a big time cuss word!
Millie
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

This book kept me on the edge of my seat. It kept me guessing through the whole story. Wow! Now I*m on to the next one. Thank you.
Ashley
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I gave it 5 stars because it was amazing i didn think phil was alive but that was good lol and. Then her at the end.
I couldn put the book down
Rosalyn
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read that perhaps shows Joey as not quite the squeaky clean chap the first 3 books made him out to be.
I wonder if there will be more in this spin off series, would be very readable
Dave Schumm
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great thriller!

A great riveting novel that you hate to put down. Mr. Philips has a mastery of making the reader want more.
Mary
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A riveting and entertaining read.
Salmanghazi
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Quite gripping. Good plit and very nicely handled. Good thing about his novels are no unnecessary discussions or charactor intro.
paulette sarelli
Great thrIller

This book kept you on your toes. You never knew what to expect. Great twist on who the bad guy really was.Can't wait to read the next book.
Dixie Petersen
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intensive read!

This book absolutely delivers -- suspense x 10! At first, I wondered if I would enjoy this book. As the intensity increased, I was glad I had continued! As a suspense/murder/intrigue reader, and I've read many, this story and it's characters and scenes were written quite well and believably carried out! I ran into so many twists and hairpin turns, it took a bit of thinking to keep the characters straight! Great read!
Jane Greene
Apr 15, 2020
connie reynolds
Oct 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Dorado Deception (Jack Reilly #3)
  • Desolation Point
  • Hello Love
  • Cora Flash and the Diamond of Madagascar
  • Save Me Twice
  • A Prisoner of Jesus Christ
  • A Soldier's Wife
  • The Lonely Tree
  • The Romanov Prophecy
  • War Girl Lotte (War Girls #2)
  • Dandelion Moon (Hallowed Halls #2)
  • The Secret of the Stones (Sean Wyatt, #1; Lost Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • William Randolph Hearst: The Life and Legacy of 20th Century America’s Most Influential Publisher
  • Precarious Summer (Northern Shore Intrigue, #1)
  • Hallowed Halls (Hallowed Halls #1)
  • The Inheritance
  • East of the Cascades
  • The Key to Justice (Marc Kadella Legal Mystery #1)
See top shelves…

Joey Peruggia (3 books)
  • Mona Lisa's Secret (Joey Peruggia  #1)
  • Last Secret Chamber (Joey Peruggia #2)
  • Last Secret Keystone: A Historical Mystery Thriller