Start by marking “A Mystery at Carlton House (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #12)” as Want to Read:
A Mystery at Carlton House (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #12)

A Mystery at Carlton House

(Captain Lacey Mysteries #12)

1818: Captain Lacey is drawn into affairs of the highest in the land when his friend Grenville is asked by the Prince Regent to look into odd happenings in his lavish abode of Carlton House. Objects of value have gone missing, paintings and sculpture have been moved, and some of the staff have reported strange sounds and movements in the shadows. The Regent and his cronies ...more
Paperback
Published March 21st 2017 by JA / AG Publishing

Keri
Really loving this series!! Can't wait for the next one. I wish AG would do a spin off with just James Denis and give him a romantic interest.
Ashley Gardner
Jan 05, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Captain Lacey book 12! The captain is "requested" by the Runner Timothy Spendlove to look into mysterious thefts at Carlton House. The Regent too wants him to discover the culprit, but Lacey is distracted by his family life and the fact that James Denis warns him off.

Lacey is back in London and embroiled in more adventure!
Joan
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
"A Mystery at Carlton House" was very light on "mystery" and very heavy of a whole lot of personal drama. This book was so boring and weighed down with filler subplots such as reducing Grenville to a lovesick dope being led around by his cajones by his wayward paramour, Marianne. Grenville's fascination for a woman of such low quality makes me lose respect for him with each subsequent book.

The premise of the thefts and murder that occurred at the Carlton House were so flimsy, especially when ju
RachelW (BamaGal)
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loan
3.5 Stars. Good read; not great, but quite enjoyable. The mystery was on the slight side this time; this was much more character driven and showcased the rich, vivid details of the Regency era. It was nice to spend time with the regular group, but I’m ready to take a bit of a rest from the series.

Thank you to Sally for the loan...
Beanbag Love
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just a quick note this time.

I love this series. The mysteries are well conceived and the writing is engaging and entertaining. The main protagonist, Gabriel Lacey, is one of my favorites.

I'm so glad I discovered these books. They're written by Jennifer Ashley under a second pen name and they just flow so incredibly well. You need to start at the beginning (there's an ebook bundle for some of the early books, so that'd be the way to go with those) because character developments happen in every i
LJ
First Sentence: “Sir.” A hand shook me as I dozed fitfully in a chair.

Captain Lacey’s friend Lord Grenville is asked by the Prince Regent to investigate the disappearance of valuable small art items from Carlton. A Bow Street Runner has arrested someone and wants Captain Lacey to help him prove his case, or he’ll arrest Lacey. Lacey doesn’t believe they’ve arrested the right man and suspects crime lord James Denis is somehow involved. Can Lacey and Grenville find the real culprit?

There is a wond
Sheila Melo
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FINAL DECISION: This series never disappoints. With a great mystery combined with personal character development, this book kept my interest from page one in a way that feels fresh even as it conforms to the mystery template.

THE STORY: Having returned from Egypt to his life where more domestic matters take precedence, Captain Lacey is asked to investigate the theft of items from the Prince Regent's Carlton House. Lacey has pressure on all sides to discover what is really happening. A bow runner
Linda Baker
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Mystery at Carlton House is another enjoyable read in this long-running series. Captain Lacey is embroiled in investigating a series of thefts at the palatial residence of the Prince Regent. Lacey is as usual between a rock and a hard place. The hard place is Bow Street Runner, Timothy Spendlove, who threatens to arrest Lacey for the thefts if Lacey cannot provide evidence to convict the poor soul he has locked up in Newgate. The rock is, as usual, James Denis, the enigmatic crime lord that La ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
There is a lot going on in A Mystery At Carlton House. It starts with Captain Lacey and his wife Donata giving birth to their daughter but not without problems. From there Lacey gets involved with the disappearance of objects at Carlton House. Lacey and Donata are an unusual couple and their relationship is explored and strengthened as the story progresses. I loved the moment when Lacey finally convinces Donata that she is the most important person in his life. The mystery itself has a number of ...more
Ruby Bibi
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
-As I near the end of the books in this series written to date, it’s a little sad to think that I will not be visiting the very interesting characters and stories that I’ve enjoyed so much. This is book #12 of the series, and we open to find the continuation of the event that Captain Gabriel Lacey was so much looking forward to - the birth of his child.
-Complications ensue, and, wisely, as a precaution, Lacey was able to arrange for the surgeon associate of James Denis to be near his wife’s est
Merle
Another excellent trip into 1818 England and Captain Lacey and family. The book opens with the birth of Gabriel and Donata's child, which is suspenseful. Lacey is then approached by Spendlove, a Bow Street Runner who is an enemy of both Denis and Lacey. He wants proof that the strange doings at Carleton House (home of the Prince Regent) can be laid at the feet of the mysterious and dangerous James Denis.

He threatens Lacey with a promise that Lacey knows he can fulfill, so Lacey undertakes to fin
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Get a peak at how the highest echelon lived two hundred years ago. In this story, the irritating Spendlove coerces Captain Lacey to investigate a case regarding missing items at Carlton House, the residence of the prince regent. Captain Lacey really doesn't want to take the case, mostly because Spendlove is making him do it. To complicate matters, Denis doesn't want Lacey on the case. While stuck in a catch 22, Lacey would really rather just spend time with his wife and children, but t
Sarah Hearn
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first Captain Lacey book I’ve read. I quite enjoyed it and may seek out others. I found bits of it tedious but on the whole, the tone and characterization were good for the period the book was set, i.e., the Regency. The author effectively eschewed all the ersatz Austen-isms that other authors fall prey to, e.g., maidens blushing coyly, handsome men being haughty, ridiculous expressions such as “oh lah, sir”, and others. Everyone, although aristos, seems to speak normal English, the ...more
Myrna
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The boys (and ladies) are back in Town.

It was great to have Lacey, Grenville and Brewster back in London Town! Lovely Donata and Marianne also play important roles in the story, which I applaud. Ashley Gardner deftly wove the strands of several plot lines together into a believable tapestry that included just the right amount of pathos, investigation and action. The addition of the Regent--or more specifically, his opulent residence--also brought some luster to the proceedings. A fabulous read a
Eva S. Gholami
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery at Carlton House

I have read all of the Captain Lacey books. If you like the original regency mysteries, in the style of Georgette Heyer, you will enjoy this series.
The story is well written, the characters are well fleshed and you get a glimpse into life during this time period.
Once again Captain Lacey and his cohorts are solving another mystery that involves the Prince Regent, James Denis, art forgers and thievery. Lady Donata helps, of course, after she gives birth!
So, I highly reco
Bettye McKee
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An engaging Regency mystery

Works of art -- paintings, sculptures and the like -- are disappearing or turning up in odd places at Carlton House. A man has been arrested and charged with theft. Captain Gabriel Lacey is summoned by the Prince Regent to solve the mystery.

Lacey is convinced that the man who has been arrested is innocent of the charges. He must find the real culprit before an innocent man is hanged.

Sherry Jones
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Captain Lacey novel

I love the Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries. I am glad to see he is back in London in this novel. I am pleased that the author doesn't feel the need to devise a way to put a rift between the Captain and his beloved Donata. This keeps the book about the mystery. One of my favorite things about the series is the characters. The Captain's strong sense of honor makes him an admirable character and one many of us can identify with.
Susan
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
December 1818 and Lacey and Grenville are invited to investigate the strange going ons at Carlton House, the home of the Prince Regent. Art objects have either going missing or have been moved. Bow Street Runner Timothy Spendlove coerces Lacey to find evidence that the suspect he has for this crime is guilty.
A enjoyable mystery, with some interesting and likeable characters. Another good book in this series. Now all I have to do is wait until the next is written and published.
Jean
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate Ashley Gardener's books

So why only four stars this time?
Spoiler alert :
I hate spoilers , but this time as 4.5 is impossible , I have no choice .
Despite enjoying this novel , learning much about the true flea markets of old London and Carlton House , the plot hinged on the unlikely idea of priceless works of art being duplicated at high speed .
Sorry , that seems a little close to historical fantasy , thus the reduced rating.
Shawna Mitchell
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This installment in the series was of course wonderful. I was honestly sad i finished it so fast because that means i have a while before the next book comes out. I love the relationship he has with Donata and the type of father and man he is. Seeing more of his personal life and happiness just draws me in deeper. Clearly he has his faults and i enjoy that as well. I can’t wait for the next installment!!!
Kim Power
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Regency than ever

This time Gabriel Lacey meets the man for whom the Regency period is named: the Prince Regent of England. Stolen art treasures from the Prince's residence must be found, and Lacey is coerced into it by a person you'd least expect. Well written as usual, it is a pleasure to spend time with old friends like Gabriel and Donata, Grenville and Maryanne, Mr Denis and Brewster whilst meeting a whole cast of new villains. It is also a joy to read such a well written and edited book
Mary Morris
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Read

Loved the further development of the characters. The captain’s love for his new daughter is so lovely as is his affection for his step-son. Donata us so much fun as she us Outrageous and unpredictable. Would live to have been her BFF.
Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Robin
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment of the Captain Lacey mystery series! Maybe not as much "action" here, but a good plot and a nice visit with characters who seem more like old friends now (as this is the 12th in series). Historical mystery lovers, if you haven't read Lacey, you're missing out. 😊
kathy ogrady
Not her best

I am sick of perfect Donata, she killed this character by marrying him off, her books were better when he was single, do not enjoy as much as before as he was more interesting when he was struggling with life
Laura Duxbury
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captain Lacey is the best

Keeping your readers guessing, after 13 books cannot be easy, but Ms Gardner did it again. I love her writing style, vivid characters and scenery. Her description of the Carlton house was brilliant but concise.
Jan Marie
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I dont give tjis bpok a 5 star rating bc the relationsjip between lacey and donata is weak and I don't care for that or, truth be told for donata. I don't feel why on earth capt lacey worships her. She was more interesting in previous novels
Marla
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-library
I quite enjoyed this Captain Lacey entry. We got to see quite a bit of Brewster, a character I've grown to like and who plays off of Captain Lacey quite nicely. The secondary mystery. I didn't feel like it took away from the main mystery and it all seemed to go together nicely.
Barbara Literski
Missing Items

Another great book written about Captain Gabriel Lacey and solving another mystery. Now he is married to Lady Donata Breckenridge Lacey. Stolen items, paintings, items appearing in the wrong places.
Captain Lacey is on the case.
Julie Bates
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lacey's Adventures continue in fine style

It is rare to find a good balance of humor and drama in any story, much less an entire series. The historical details are rich and believable. I have enjoyed watching Lacey evolve with every book. I look forward to the next one.
Ashley Gardner is the pseudonym for NY Times bestselling and award-winning author Jennifer Ashley and nationally bestselling and award-winning author Allyson James. Her award-winning Captain Lacey Regency mysteries have garnered top reviews and an enthusiastic following. These books are now available as digital editions. More about the series can be found at http://www.gardnermysteries.com

Captain Lacey Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey, #1)
  • A Regimental Murder (Captain Lacey, #2)
  • The Glass House (Captain Lacey, #3)
  • The Sudbury School Murders (Captain Lacey, #4)
  • A Body in Berkeley Square (Captain Lacey, #5)
  • A Covent Garden Mystery (Captain Lacey, #6)
  • A Death in Norfolk (Captain Lacey, #7)
  • A Disappearance in Drury Lane (Captain Lacey, #8)
  • Murder in Grosvenor Square (Captain Lacey, #9)
  • The Thames River Murders (Captain Lacey, #10)