Start by marking “Everything Reminds You of Something Else” as Want to Read:
Everything Reminds You of Something Else

Everything Reminds You of Something Else

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Thin is the line between dreaming and wakefulness, wellness and disorder, here and there, this and that. Elana Wolff’s poems illuminate the porousness of states and relations, the connective compulsion of poetic perception, in language that blends the oracular and the everyday, the elliptical and the lucent, the playful and the heart-raking. The de- and re-constructive wor ...more
Published April 2017 by Guernica Editions

To ask other readers questions about Everything Reminds You of Something Else, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Reminds You of Something Else

Hirdesh
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, netgalley
3.5 stars.

Thanks for Netgalley and respective publishers.

"We got the parents we wanted well;
even arranged the marriage from our choir invisible seats
It was a bad match-
just what we needed for genes and growth.
Every night I go for a walk,I fall for the same black shadow"

A quite simple and easy read poetry book. Poems were incredible especially titled with some topics.
But, I have given not much rating because of nonrhythmic flow founded by me.
Even, perception and deepness was there. Comprehensive
Michelle
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elana Wolff is a celebrated award winning Canadian writer, in addition to “Everything Reminds You of Something Else” Wolff has written several collections of poetry and a book of essays. With other poets she has co-produced additional volumes of poetry, and translated some into French and Hebrew. Dividing her professional time she has taught English at York University in Toronto, and at The Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

Whether Wolff turns her attention to mindfulness that feature the natural e
Joseph
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Everything Reminds You of Something Else by Elana Wolff is the poet’s fifth solo collection of poetry. Wolff is a Toronto-based poet, essayist, translator, and creator and facilitator of therapeutic art courses. She has taught English for Academic Purposes at York University in Toronto and at The Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

Wolff’s poetry taps deep into the reader’s imagination. Words roll off the tongue and pass an almost dream like a vision. Alliteration and words that change in small degre
Jenny (Reading Envy)
While reading these poems, I had the impression of a poet looking up at the stars, or the trees, or at the zoo, avoiding eye contact with other humans. The majority of the poems, as a result, are ruminations on nature and the future, identity and self, but hardly ever about a person in relation to another. As such I found them difficult to connect to. They might be for you, but they didn't really work for me.

Quadriptych
"...As day sinks in, the music moults,
the facets all collapse...."

Thanks to t
Raven and Beez
It took me a while to get through this one because it was crazy how the poet used SO MANY complex words! I think half of these poems just went over my head because I couldn’t understand them.

The Bloggo

I mean, I did enjoy the way the poems were written but because they were so fancy, I couldn’t really fall in love with any of them.

For me the beauty of poems lies in its simplicity so this poetry collection was not my cup of tea. However, if you enjoy fancy words then definitely pick this one up. I
Hafsa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-e-books
Disclaimer: Received a free digital copy of the book through Netgalley.

A thought-provoking metaphorical masterpiece.

I would start with saying the title explains it all. Everything does remind you of something else and this collection made me feel and experience that more than anything. There's a poem in here that incorporated topics like transgender, suicide, eating disorders using animals (at least I think that was what it was), if this didn't convince you already to read this collection I don
Nicole
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, poetry
Everything Reminds You of Something Else First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.
The book comes out April, 1st.

Would you look at that, I'm actually reviewing an ARC before the book comes out. Haven't had that in a while. I'm trying to fix that.

This book is full of beautiful poetry, which I really want to get into this year. So this is my second book, and I still have so much to learn about it, so I'm in no way an expert to poetry.

But I really liked the writing, all these po
SJ Reads
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, poetry, 2-stars
So this was a pretty quick read and honestly I was less than amazed with it. There were two lines throughout this whole book that I loved, but besides that? It felt choppy and altogether not for me. Perhaps someone else would enjoy this more but I really disliked this poetry collection.
Shealea
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Review to follow!
mar
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, arc
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This doesn't affect my rating.

Everything Reminds You of Something Else by Elana Wolff is a thought-provoking poetry collection. It contains poems that cater to the five senses and the imagination, with vivid imagery that is at times almost whimsical. Don't let that and the cover fool you. The poems might be written in an almost childish way, but they do tackle some pretty mature issues if you take the time to pond
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Review:

(Thank you to the folks at Netgalley, for allowing me to read this!)

“First commandment: drown and all is water.” This is how Elana Wolff begins her collection, with imagery of a sort of baptism. Wolff drew me in with that first line in her first poem “Jerusalem Day,” making it clear that perhaps this wasn’t a collection meant for me, but as a connection with her life as a Jewish woman. Upon research, I found out that there is no Jewish equivalent to a Christian baptism, b
Ariana
Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Poetry is incredibly hard to critique because each individual reader’s experience is unique. Everyone gets something different out of it, and a style that might work for one reader might not work for another. This is one of those collections that I believe really backs these things up. Wolff’s writing is very beautiful and I’m sure, for that reason, there are many people
Simant ♥ Flipping Through the Pages
I had kind of expectations from this poetry collection, but yes it failed miserably. I have never read much complex poetry, so this collection was more a sort of "not for me". From the first poem itself I was not able to understand anything. The poet used so many complex words that it made it more difficult to understand. Apart from 2-3 poems I was not able to connect to anything and they just went over my head because of the hard language.

This book is certainly not for the people like me who en
Jessica | Booked J
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A copy of this novel was provided through NetGalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way.

The first thing that strikes me about this collection of poetry is that there's a great glimpse of soul in the works. I had a bit of a problem tying the collection together (it flowed, at times, incoherently and I wasn't connecting with specific parts of it) but Everything Reminds You of Something Else is still a damn good release. As far as introduc
Julia Prilepina
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Meta Power: Metamorphosis and Metaphor in Wolff’s Poetic World
Elana Wolff’s Everything Reminds You of Something Else invites us to enter a poetic world where every word is heavy with meaning. Every poem in the collection moves us to pause and think critically about our lives. In particular, as we open the door of this world, come in, and close it softly behind us, we may realize that our key to finding our way is through connections. Every poem we read pushes us to forge powerful connections
Akahayla
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
It's unfortunate that I haven't read a lot of poetry (something that I hope to change this year because I do love poems)

While I did love the writing style of all the poems in this book, I didn't really fall in love with any particular one. One that I would want to write all over my windows or recite in my sleep.

I did like, "Thin girl", "Meridian", "Think of a name for the bird in the glossy photo", "Cord", "Theory of dreaming", and "Summer". This seems like a lot but these are just a fraction o
Hoda Marmar
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I have received this book as an ARC on NetGalley.

I have enjoyed reading the poems in Wolff's 'Everything Reminds You of Something Else'. Some more than others. I was able to connect and relate to some of the poems, especially the ones that talk about emotions in a relationship, and the ones about the feel of ordinary things. I loved it when the poet used certain items or words as a representation and/or gateway to memories, thus the title of the book. I must add that the cover is amazing!
Jana
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I overall quite enjoyed the poems in this collection, but most of them didn't speak to me personally on a deeper level. A lot of the poetry I've read and loved affected me emotionally, which only a few of the poems in this collection were able to do, but I still enjoyed the ones that didn't affect me as much.
Janine (morgensternreads)
I couldn't really connect with the poems at all?
Dipali
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, poetry
** A copy of Everything Reminds You of Something Else was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review **

Everything Reminds You of Something Else by Elana Wolff is a deeply evocative collection of poetry. The bulk of the pieces are meaningful and vivid. While there were some pieces that I didn't fully understand (I've only recently started reading poetry for 'leisure'), this is definitely a strong collection that made me contemplate a lot of things. The humanities and
Tpolson
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“It is a common teaching device among Oriental philosophers to use paradox, illogic, and apparent contradiction to help break habitual patterns of thought. Such passages are not necessarily to be taken either literally or figuratively, but rather as exercises to open the consciousness to perception beyond the reach of the intellect.”

That’s an excerpt from translator Larry Korn’s notes in the introduction to Masanobu Fukuoka’s The One-Straw Revolution published in 1978 by New York Review Books.
Amanda
Thank you to Netgalley, Guernica Editions, and Elana Wolff for the chance to read and review this ARC;

While most of the poetry books I get from Netgalley bowl me over, every once in a while I'm bound to find one that isn't my specific cup of tea and Everything Reminds You of Something Else is definitely that. While the formatting for it being delivered to the iPad was a bit of a nightmare, squishing everything one after another without any spaces (at least I hope it was? I assumed it was, and i
Tony
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Elana Wolff clearly loves Kafka, I love Kafka. You would think that means I would love this book of poetry. I don't love it. I will say I really, really LIKE this book of poetry. The title plays a double role as the name of a poem and the point of the book which is that the poet draws comparisons between life and books and thoughts and Kafka and Don Quixote and...You get the idea.
Like all books of poetry each reading will bring new perspectives. Thanks to Net Galley for the ARC. I always apprec
Samurdhi
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book is full of beautiful and well written poetry. Some of them spoke to me in a very deeper level while some didn’t. It didn’t have the ability to lock me into each and every page of the book (like Milk and Honey or Princess Saves Herself in this One) but, nevertheless it was a good collection of poetry which everyone can enjoy.

I loved Metamorphoses..I’m sure everyone of you will adore it like I do.
Caitlin
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not really the biggest fan of this collection. To me, there wasn't much that linked them together as a collection and half of the poems made no sense. The writing also wasn't my style. There were a couple poems that stood out to me, but the rest are forgettable. Maybe someone else would enjoy it more, but I personally didn't.
Shayla Paige
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read this collection of poems by Canadian author Elena Wolff tonight. I'm not usually a poetry reader, but I loved the cover of this so much I decided to give it a go. It was interesting. None of these poems stood out for me enough to love it, but I am curious about her other poetry collections now! Her writing is very unique!
Allison
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I struggle with a lot of poetry and that trend continued with this book. If dril wrote a book of poetry, I feel like it would make more sense than a lot of these poems.

I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Kirsty
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This felt like just the thing to choose for a slow Saturday morning, but sadly, nothing stood out to me. The poems in this collection felt like much of a muchness, and there was nothing which would cause me to recommend it to others.
PameKi
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoughtful! Amazing! Lovely! I really enjoyed it and I totally recommend it!
Alyssia