Start by marking “Time and Circumstance” as Want to Read:
Time and Circumstance

Time and Circumstance

“The trunk of this family is lost to history / Photo fragments remain as shadows”

With subtle wit, and poignant imagery, the unrelenting passage of time connects the vignettes in Theresa Milstein’s Time and Circumstance. This reflective collection of real and imagined poetry and prose, speculates on an erratic childhood, the uncertainty of adolescence, and the reality of pa
Paperback
Published March 21st 2017 by Vine Leaves Press

To ask other readers questions about Time and Circumstance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time and Circumstance

Michelle
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Time and circumstance combine to shape those occasions when life's milestones are realized.
This collection portrays those priceless moments from a refreshingly honest perspective, with careful attention to detail and word choice.
Vivid and skilful.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Michael Morris
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I usually do not care for books which combine poetry and short stories. They typically have nothing to unify them except the author's efforts to see them in print. But this collection of flash fiction and poems by Theresa Milstein is a pleasant exception. The title of the book serves as apt theme, threading these observations of one going from bemused youngster to single woman in graduate school to mother attending recitals. The stories are well crafted, with the right amount of detail to avoid ...more
Medeia Sharif
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored Milstein's writing on her blog and this book matches the style and quality of what I read previously. This is a fantastic collection of poetry and microfiction. She knows how to powerfully arrange words.
Jessica Bell
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Extremely proud to be the publisher of this beautiful collection of poetry and prose. Heartfelt, raw, and real.
Sharon
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sharon by: http://theresamilstein.blogspot.com/
Powerful, relatable a book you must read until you finish, then go back and read again!
Michelle
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins, owned
I can't decide between a 4 or 5 star rating but I think I've settled on 4 (but have it represent a 4.5). I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway from the author and received a lovely signed copy that I will cherish dearly.
I really enjoyed the poems and prose within this book. There were for sure some I enjoyed more than others but still very lovely as a whole. I did find some stories and poems did not go very well together and didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the pieces. Perhaps only ha
Susan Oloier
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Time and Circumstance is a must-read. The language of the prose and poetry in the book is fresh, evocative, and beautiful. I truly appreciate it when a writer creates sensory language that hasn't been reused and recycled before. And that's what happens here.

I will definitely return to this book over and over again. This is writing at its very best.
Susan Swiderski
This delightful collection of poems and short vignettes skillfully captures and depicts some of the changes and milestones of an individual's life. With minimum words, Ms. Milstein manages to deliver maximum meaning. (Not an easy task!)

This fast-reading book was a pleasure to read. Try it. I betcha like it.

Monika R
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read before speaking:
Being asked to review a fellow author’s work is a little bit like being asked to hold a fragile infant. You just know that what you are entrusted with is precious. As an author, I understand the soul peeling layers carefully tacked onto paper, the moments of glowing pride followed by painful moments of doubt, and in reading all of Theresa’s work in one go, I felt as if I met a little bit of Theresa and her baby in person.
Time & Circumstance is a piece of literature that
Ann Epstein
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In a seamless blend of poetry and prose, Theresa Milstein’s vignettes carries readers through the memories, challenges, joys, and doubts of life’s milestones. As readers move forward through the book’s pages, encountering the author’s experiences, they will inevitably also move backward through their own lives, piecing together a narrative of personal vignettes.
Samantha Verant
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Milstein is a maestro when it comes to making every word count. Evocative, powerful, and full of tension, her short stories and poems pull at the psyche and the imagination, leaving the reader breathless. I was thrilled to be an early reader of this book.

Michele
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Impressive collection of vignettes and poetry. Especially loved the twists in "Daisy" and "Left Behind".
Theresa Milstein
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Theresa by: http://theresamilstein.blogspot.com/2...
I hope you enjoy my collection of poetry and prose published by Vine Leaves Press.
Denise Covey
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Denise by: http://theresamilstein.blogspot.com.a...
Time and Circumstance is interesting, as we don't often see a compilation of both flash fiction and poetry. PART ONE - TEMPO ADAGIO is prose, cutting edge slices of life, beautifully written. Theresa captured my attention right from the first story - RESOLUTION - told from the POV of an 18 year old in the 13th or 14th grade. The protagonist is torn between the nostalgic TV shows she finds addictive such as Bewitched and her college attendance. I love the lines: 'Who wouldn't perform magic to mak ...more
Niamh Boyce
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Time & Circumstance by Theresa Milstein is a collection of prose and poems that focus on parents, time, loss and boundaries with humour, heart and insight. Her characters take pregnancy tests, land down from the sky, spy on their neighbours (and see much more than they bargained for!). The vignettes of the first section are concentrated, often funny, and sometimes surreal. There is a lightness of touch – the story ‘Brolly Folly’ displays a delicious Dahl- like flair for the unpredictable. In
Annalisa Crawford
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection, invoking memories of my own childhood, especially in the stories '1986' and 'All Set', and making the smallest moments fascinating. Milstein pinpoints the beauty and sadness and humour that keeps us all going.
Lydia Kang
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Theresa Milstein’s TIME AND CIRCUMSTANCE is both grounded and enchanting. Brolly Folly brings a lovely fanciful element to an otherwise everyday scene, and other pieces such as The Contortionist, Resolution, and the Unperfect Moment are delightful favorites in the collection. Milstein focuses a heartfelt lens onto the ordinary and extraordinary.
May 23, 2017
Lorra
Cynthia Daniel
Rhiannon
Mar 28, 2017
I have several short pieces published in anthologies and journals, such as Vine Leaves Literary Journal, 100 Stories for Queensland, 100 RPM, Fangtales, From Stage Door Shadows, and Halcyon Magazine. While my published works are for adults, I primarily write for children, and I'm active in the New England chapter of SCBWI (Society for Book Writers and Illustrators).

Since February 2014, I've worke