Start by marking “Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts (Madam Tulip, #2)” as Want to Read:
Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts (Madam Tulip, #2)

Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts

(Madam Tulip #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
"Madam Tulip! Actress, fortune-teller, psychic, sleuth!"

When out-of-work actress Derry O'Donnell moonlights as celebrity fortune-teller Madam Tulip in an English Stately home, she’s trying to make some cash.
Instead, she is drawn into an alien world of wealth, titled privilege and family secrets.

A countess once a chorus girl, a gambling earl and his daughters, a cultured
ebook, Electronic edition, 355 pages
Published October 20th 2016 by Malin Press

To ask other readers questions about Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts

Dianne
Madame Tulip is back and her alter ego, actress Derry O’Donnell finds herself, once again, embroiled in danger and death with a few extra body parts just lying around.

The life of the wealthy can be a bit pretentious, add old money, missing artwork and a title or two, then steep like a good old-fashioned cup of tea for a quirky mystery that just begs to be solved by Derry and Bruce. But could this mystery prove beyond even Derry’s sleuthing abilities? David Ahern’s Madame Tulip and the Knave of
Whispering Stories
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
It’s a delight to again meet up with Madam Tulip aka Derry, Jacko and Bruce, in David Ahern’s very amusing new release, Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts. And, even better, this second book is far more of a whodunit with a real mystery to be solved and a supporting cast of characters who are anything but open and truthful. The setting too is that classic of good old-fashioned mysteries: a stately home in England.

I only balked near the end, when goodies and baddies finally confronted each other
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts, as stated in the description, is the second book in the series following the antics of Derry O’Donnell.

I don’t think it is essential to have read the first in the series but I think it will give readers a better understanding of how Derry got into the fortune telling business.

Derry is back acting in the theatre only for the theatre be in dire need of repair that sees her yet again out of work. She is forced into helping out in an art gallery by her over beari
Rachel
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
*I received a free digital copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Book Cover:

While the cover is pretty simple, I do like the coloring of it. I think the font and size of it is appropriate. The main thing to take from this cover is the title and I don’t mind that.

First Thoughts

I read the first Madam Tulip book and enjoyed it. When the author reached out to me about reading the third book, I wanted to read the second one as well.

Plot

This plot turned out to be something
Steph Warren
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC of this book. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

This second book in the Madam Tulip / Derry psychic reluctant-detective series follows a very similar pattern to the first, but with more Derry and less Tulip this time around.

The book, as per the previous, can be divided into two distinct parts. The first is a psychic mystery investigation of unusual events and strange visions by our underemployed actress hero Derry and her trusty versatile sidekick Bruce, f
Carole Rae
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second book of the Madam Tulip series. However, it could be read as a standalone if need be. I do encourage reading the first one first just to really get an understanding of Derry and her entourage.

Again, poor Derry is out of work again as an actress. She really should hang up her acting career and focus on being Madam Tulip and work with the police force. Maybe she can do some undercover work? That takes acting skills! But yes...the stage and her are not meant to be.

She is back a
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fortune Telling, severed body parts, and a royal engagement party what could possibly go wrong?
Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts by David Ahern brings us Derry O’Donnell who is back again with a bit of a problem for herself and her friends. Well acting friends but still a problem. To get acquainted or reacquainted with these character’s please read my first review of Madam Tulip by David Ahern.

The Characters
Our heroine, of course, once again finds herself without work and her mom trying to of
Book Inspector
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
For more reviews please visit https://bbookinspector.wordpress.com

This book is a second part in Madam Tulip series, and normally, the first part is the one to wow readers to come back for more, but in this case, the second part was way better for me than the first one.

The first part was more of an introduction to Madam Tulip and what she is capable of, in this part things get more serious. Another difference was that, the first part was more like cosy mysteries; the second one loses its coziness
Hannah Charlesworth
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in this series so I was looking forward to getting to pick up the second - thanks again! This is something I probably wouldn't have picked up if I saw this sitting on a shelf in Waterstones; why? Sometimes bright and colourful books make me think it might be some sort of romantic comedy, which is completely not me. However, saying that, this series does need this kind of bright and colourful cover - it wouldn't be the same otherwise! (Please don't take this is a c ...more
Marie
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
you can check out full review mariesbookboutique.wordpress.com/2017...
Firstly I would like to thank the author David Ahern for asking me to read and review the second book in the Madam Tulip series on Marie's Book Boutique. ( you can check my review for the first book here )
I really like the front cover of this book very much! I think the blue back ground really makes the title, authors name and the image really stand out perfectly, catching the eye like any cover should! I also thought that its
Courtney Giraldo
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Derry O'Donnell is back! After her play is shut down, indefinitely, due to structural damage at the theater (namely the roof caving in), Derry finds herself out of work once again. Her old acquaintance, Marlena offers her a gig reading fortunes as her alter-ego Madam Tulip for a weekend at a friends engagement party. Unable to pass up the lucrative paycheck, and promises of donations to the theater for repairs, Derry agrees. Of course things don't go as planned (when do they in a mystery novel?) ...more
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Madam Tulip is back and I couldn't be more excited! I loved the first book and, if possible, I think I loved this one even more! So much mystery and excitement, definitely a hit!

Davis Ahern has a way of writing that you can totally create the scenes in your mind. It makes me want it to be a movie or television show! Well, maybe not, the books are always better. I'll continue to let my imagination play in my head for now.

If you like funny, exciting murder mystery type books (maybe like the Janet
Kerensa Draumr
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neg.: characters do not seem to move forward in life, link between the idea of Madam Tulip and trouble, plot reminds strongly of the prequel.
Pos.: natural continuance of the first novel (characters from the first novel we wouldn't expect to see again are still present), good and funny writing, excellent momentum.

For a full review go to https://kerensasreadingnook.wordpress...

Kerensa J. Draumr
Gayle B
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don't let the look and feel of a cozy fool you. This book is quite a thriller as the plot thickens. I like the basic plot of Derry trying to pay her skills using her psychic/fortune telling skills for hire. Once again she stumbles into a dangerous situation. Wealth, royalty, art thieves, forgery, kidnapping
Will Derry be able to get herself out of this one with her card reading? Looking forward to book three in the Madam Tulip series.
Claire Kane
Jan 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I very much enjoyed the first in this series, however this was a bit of a let down. The characters were thinly spread and there were unnecessary reintroductions to the ones that appeared in the first book. The characters were also largely inconsistent by comparison to how they were portrayed in the first book, with the exception of the protagonist's parents.

I felt that this book rambled on too much- long, pointless conversations, not getting to the point, or the mystery, quick enough. I also ha
Aoibheann { ⊱Aoibh Reads⊰ }
★★★★★
Genre: New-Adult, Suspense, Mystery
Recommend: Yes
Book 2

NO SPOILERS

Review originally posted on Aoibh Reads

Madam Tulip is back in another mysterious setting surrounded by suspicious activity and life threatening situations. Derry O'Donnell is hired to perform her psychic act in a stately home in England after her current theatre role is jeopardized due to a falling stage. When things suddenly go awry, Derry has to stay longer than she anticipated as she is thrust into a murder mystery. Surro
Hobart
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
After the dramatic events at the end of her first experiment as Madam Tulip, Derry puts away her costume and fortune-telling apparatus, focusing on something safer -- like theater. Which works up until the roof caves in after her big opening night. So now she (and her friends) are without jobs, the theater's existence is in danger, and Derry's mother is just waiting for a chance to pounce and force her into a "real" job.

Derry and her pals o
Jill Elizabeth
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
In this latest installment, Derry/Madam Tulip is relocated from the sham-glam world of Hollywood to the equally sham-glam world of landed British aristocracy – albeit sham in a very different fashion this time around. The cast of characters surrounding Derry/Madam T is fundamentally the same. Marlene is back – but the shift in location seems to have resulted in a bit of a seismic shift in her personality. Gone is the sweet ditz from the first book; in her place is a more sensible girl – one who ...more
Jessie Stevens
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m so grateful that I was once reeled in by a cute frog on the cover of a book. That book, Madam Tulip, introduced me to Derry O’Donnell and her accompanying, charmingly over the top, literary comrades.

David Ahern’s newest book cover isn’t as cute as his first…

… but that’s alright because I loved it even more!

Would I recommend it?

Yes! This is the new series I’m recommending to anyone who loves a humorous mystery! It made me giggle (so many times) and almost gag (there’s an eyeball…) and had me
Gordon Long
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this second book of the “Madam Tulip” series, Derry, the starving actress, continues to fight (but not very hard) against taking up her crystal ball and making financial use of her on-again-off-again psychic abilities. Once again, the story is filled with interesting characters, witty dialogue, a good deal of suspense (courtesy of Russian Gangsters this time) and a bit of gratuitous gut-churning horror through liberal applications of cling wrap. Claustrophobes might want to skim certain secti ...more
Jessica
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Derry O'Donnell is asked to make another appearance as Madam Tulip fortune teller to the rich and famous. She begrudgingly obliges as the play she was in was canceled due to a tragic accident where the stage was destroyed. Needing the money she once again puts on the gown of Madam Tulip. This time she in England. At the stately home, she finds herself in, strange things start happening like body parts showing up. She finds herself once again immersed in a murder mystery. Will she be able to find ...more
Rachel Chiapparine
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was blessed enough to receive a free PDF copy of the book via email from the author in exchange for my honest review of the book which is as follows:

For the majority of the book I felt like I was reading about a current day “Downton Abby” type of family which was for me personally felt light-hearted and fun, however once I got towards the end of this book’s main mystery parts of it felt a bit confusing.

I still don’t understand the relationship between the main character and her mom, I am glad
Joan Lindenau
Oct 27, 2018
Mike Siedschlag
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts was given to me by author David Ahern in e-format for review.

Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts is the second book in the Madam Tulip series. I found this entry as good a read as was the first. Psychic Madam Tulip is the alter ego of Derry O'Donnell, a perpetually starving actress. She finds herself employed as the fortune teller at a party given by British royalty (no not the Queen, a bit lower on the royal roster). Her psychic abilities get her caught up in
Tami
Jamie Piper
Loretta Bush
Abdallah Djelti
Oct 03, 2016
David Ahern grew up in a theatrical family in Ireland but ran away to Scotland to become a research psychologist and sensible person. He earned his doctorate but soon absconded to work in television. He became a writer, director and producer, creating international documentary series and winning numerous awards, none of which got him free into nightclubs.

Madame Tulip wasn’t David Ahern's first nov

Madam Tulip (3 books)
  • Madam Tulip
  • Madam Tulip and the Bones of Chance (Madam Tulip #3)