Jump to ratings and reviews

Last of the Giants: The True Story of Guns N' Roses

Many millions of words have already been written about Guns N' Roses, the old line-up, the new line-up. But none of them have ever really gotten to the truth. Which is this: Guns N' Roses has always been a band out of time, the Last of the Giants. They are what every rock band since the Rolling Stones has tried and nearly always failed to be: dangerous. At a time when smiling, MTV-friendly, safe-sex, just-say-no Bon Jovi was the biggest band in the world, here was a band that seemed to have leapt straight out of the coke-smothered pages of the original, golden-age, late-sixties rock scene.

'Live like a suicide', the band used to say when they all lived together in the Hell House, their notorious LA home. And this is where Mick Wall first met them, and became part of their inner circle, before famously being denounced by name by Axl Rose in the song 'Get in the Ring'.

But this book isn't about settling old scores. Written with the clear head that 25 years later brings you, this is a celebration of Guns N' Roses the band, and of Axl Rose the frontman who really is that thing we so desperately want him to be: the last of the truly extraordinary, all-time great, no apologies, no explanations, no giving-a-shit rock stars. The last of his kind.

496 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 17, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mick Wall

59 books144 followers
Mick Wall is an author, journalist, film, television and radio writer-producer, who’s worked inside the music industry for over 35 years. He began his career contributing to the music weekly Sounds in 1977, where he wrote about punk and the new wave, and then rockabilly, funk, New Romantic pop and, eventually, hard rock and heavy metal. By 1983, Wall become one of the main journalists in the early days of Kerrang! magazine, where he was their star cover story writer for the next nine years. He subsequently became the founding editor of Classic Rock magazine in 1998, and presented his own television and radio shows.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
36 (4%)
1 star
9 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 83 reviews
Profile Image for Johann (jobis89).
615 reviews4,243 followers
September 23, 2017
"Axl Rose really is that thing we so desperately want him to be: the last of the truly extraordinary, all-time great, no-apologies, no-explanations, no-quarter-given rock stars. The last of his kind."

Spanning from the formation of Guns N' Roses to their eventual demise and most recent reunion tour, Last of the Giants leaves no stone unturned. Mick Wall tells the true story of "the most dangerous in the world" through interviews with those involved, excerpts from autobiographies and first-hand encounters with the band.

It's no secret that GnR have been one of my favourite bands ever since I was young - I grew up in a GnR house. So I already know a lot of the stories, a lot of the rumours... and yet this book was still thoroughly enjoyable. I had forgotten so much of the absolutely insane shit Axl Rose and the rest of the band got up to - how are the original members still alive?! Given the number of times Slash was practically on death's door and brought back, the limits that Duff pushed his body to, as well as Steve Adler and Izzy Stradlin... and how did Axl's mouth not get him into far worse trouble??

My issue with biographies is that they can often be one-sided and biased, but I don't feel like that's the case here. Mick Wall doesn't hold back - everything is laid bare. All the dirty details - no matter how bad it makes the band members and members of the entourage or management team look. The number of times I laughed out loud or had to close the book because I was flabbergasted - honestly, I can't believe a lot of this happened. Mick Wall's writing itself flows well and is easy to read, he has constructed the book in such a way that it doesn't feel boring at any point. He also is a fan of using the last section of each chapter to tease the next - which made for some late nights and running behind schedule for the gym because I couldn't put the book down until I found out what he was referring to!

My only negative about this book was that sometimes it felt like certain anecdotes were repeated and that got a tad annoying at times. I perhaps would have liked a few more details on the recording of Chinese Democracy and what was going on behind the scenes, but apart from that, can't really complain.

Overall, this is a fantastic look back at one of the greatest (and most captivating) bands in history. I don't even think you need to be a die-hard GnR fan in order to enjoy this - although it does add to the experience! A great read, 4 out of 5 stars from me!
Profile Image for Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski.
200 reviews53 followers
June 28, 2017
Awesome as everything concerning gnr I can get my hands on. A couple of cool stories that didn't make it to slashes, duffs, Stevens and axls bios:) I've read them all. There's one other thing I would love but I know 99% it wont happen is to read Izzies take on the whole thing....next from rock bios for me will be motley crues the dirt. Can't wait:)
Profile Image for Mike.
16 reviews1 follower
February 28, 2017
So I'm a GNR fan, some would even say a GNR apologist, so of course i'm going to read this .... and there was some interesting insight into the earlier years, the AOD years but ...

I cannot excuse the myriad of typos and just flat-out sloppy journalism and reporting for example

- Duff's name switched from McKagan to McKagen numerous times throughout the book
- When you are saying GNR covered an AC/DC song ... please make sure it's an actual AC/DC song
- And in my opinion, the most egregious, saying that the band went to "Disneyland's Magic Mountain in Los Angeles" is just .... ugh. Facepalm city.

Good for early info, bad for editing.
Profile Image for Sandy.
417 reviews12 followers
May 14, 2022
In 2017, after waiting for two decades, I literally walked 3km in the fucking desert, four days before my birthday, to squeeze in with 30,000 pumped up people like me, to go crazy for the greatest rock n roll band ever existed. Guns N fucking Roses.. one of the best moments in my life. There they were, the band who got me into metal. I’ve been a solid fan of GNR ever since I heard them first. Then I saw them in a magazine. Bloody hell, THAT music and THOSE guys stole my world and they have already broken up by then. As I grew older, my taste in metal became darker, colder and blacker but GNR never ever lost their place on top of my list. It’s a band that made me; an Ill fitting teenager to a woman who would say, "U don’t like it, then back the fuck off.."

This book was bloody chaos, my brain was honestly trying to keep up with the riot the whole time. I guess it can’t be any better given the status of the band and the people involved. And this book, gives such a clean cut insight into the band. I love Mick Wall’s writing. It’s so captivating and chilling, terrifying even. I’d say, I didn’t really want to know about some stuff in the book. It’s that bloody raw. At a point, I asked myself, how is slash alive? How is any of them alive? It’s fucking horrendous.

This book is all over the place. I don’t even know how to really put a proper review about it, hence all the bullshit that’s all over the place. It says a painful story of five individuals (sorry, I’m one of those people who sees guns as Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven) who made such brilliant music that truly was the last of proper rock n roll. There were numerous times I almost forgot to breathe. I wasn’t very interested about all the people that tagged on later on but I guess that was crucial to tell the story of this amazing band. And I guess that’s one reason why I never went to see them in 2013 when they played right next door to me. No matter how much I loved Axl’s legs back in the days, Axl alone was never GNR for me. GNR will never be GNR without those who came from the hellhouse. And in this book, Axl is exactly how Axl should be, a paranoid, eccentric genius. Slash is simply Slash an nothing else. If anyone wants to know, I mean REALLY know how the paradise city went to the jungle, this is the book to read.

This book says it all, the good, the bad and off the fucking marbles kind of ugly.. yet one thing is true. They are the last of the giants to walk the earth. There was and never will be a band like GNR, ever. And this, this is something every bloody fan out there should read. Fuck everything and everyone else.

Book #61 of 2021..
Around the year in 52 books - ""A book related to ""the end""".
228 reviews
September 14, 2017
I struggled through this one. It felt like there was so much repetition, and with so many quotes and narratives I often struggled to keep track of who was currently being quoted. I'd often find myself having to glance back to see who was currently speaking when half way through the quote I'd realise I'd no idea who or what was currently being spoken about.
There were also sections of the history that I felt was skipped over, such as the recording and release of The Spaghetti Incident? which was barely covered. I was also disappointed in the lack of coverage of the story behind the name of The Spaghetti Incident, and more could have been said regarding the controversy of including a Charles Manson song. The coverage of the release of the live album was also skimmed over - I guess there just wasn't that much reference material for these parts.
Other sections just seemed to drag on forever, such as the coverage from 2000-2017 where the focus was on whether or not G N' R would reunite. By the end of the book I just couldn't care anymore about what G N' R do, I just desperately wanted the book to end.
For those interested in reading about G N' R without much prior knowledge I'd recommend giving this a light read while skimming some sections.
For fans of G N' R, you've probably read this all before.
Profile Image for Fred.
12 reviews
May 30, 2018
It's a good, but uneven, GNR bio. I wish that it covered the origins of each song better. The whole process of writing each album is covered in just a few paragraphs. It does cover a lot of the business aspects of the band, and how important the band managers were in their success. I got a real sense of seedy, debauched L.A. in the 80's, and how important that scene was to the origins of the band. I got a good sense of Axl's personality and issues, and how underrated and important Izzy was, but didn't get much sense of Slash's personality or issues aside from drug addiction.

Overall, I would say this book focuses a lot on the business side of things, tours, and the drama and conflicts, but doesn't cover the music or musicianship as much as I would have liked. The music is what interests people in a band, so I think band bio's should have a strong focus on the music.

The writing is often confusing and repetitive. Frequently, Mick will cover a certain episode in the band's life, then suddenly start talking about things that happened months or years before, and finally come back around to the episode. It can be difficult to follow the timeline. There is usually a reason for this: he is trying to show the same episode from different perspectives, or give a preview before going into the details. I think he could have done a better job of this as a writer, but I do appreciate that he tries to give all sides.

One of the frustrating aspects of the book - well, of GNR really - is that for just about any episode in the life of the band, every person involved has a very different, often contradictory, story to tell about it. Not to be political about it, but it reminds me a lot of Donald Trump's presidency - irreconcilable distortions of whatever actually happened. Anyway, such disagreements about what happened are pretty close to the core of the problems that have plagued the band for the past 30 years. So, in that sense, Mick does a good job of presenting the band.

The first half of the book is everything up to Use Your Illusion. The second half is everything since. I wish the split had been more 80/20. I got pretty tired of reading about all the drama and letdowns post-UYI. I did like the coverage of Velvet Revolver though. But I ended up skipping past quite a bit of the last 25% because it was so repetitive hearing about tour after tour cancelled or interrupted by the same old excuses, the same old fights, the same old lies.

I should mention that this is the only GNR biography I've read, so I can't say how it compares to others. It does cover the band right up to 2017, so it's nice that it includes the Not in this Lifetime tour.
Profile Image for Ashley Watson.
14 reviews1 follower
March 1, 2017
Could've done without the final third which gets too bogged down what the various members were up to in the late nineties and most of the noughties.

Aside from that though this is a thoroughly entertaining book, with much less reliance on stories about rock star extravagance than Motley Crue's The Dirt for instance.
Profile Image for Markku.
Author 5 books3 followers
November 14, 2020
Kirja on hyvin samankaltainen kuin bändi, josta se kertoo: möhköfanttinen, pateettinen ja kestoltaan liian pitkä. Liiallinen yksityiskohtaisuus ja keittiöpsykologia menee usein överiksi, vaikka toki Axl Rosen sekoilu on toisinaan viihdyttävää luettavaa. Mutta oli kyllä työn takana lukea kirja loppuun.
Profile Image for Marita Hansen.
Author 91 books861 followers
August 11, 2019
3.5 stars, at the most. Nowhere near as enjoyable as Slash's book, but then again, Slash isn't just my favourite in the group, he's my favourite rock star in ALL groups. Axl still annoyed the hell out of me in this read, he's beyond frustrating to read about, though I can understand aspects of his personality because I see it to a lesser extent in someone I know who has asperghers, making me wonder whether Axl has it too. Therefore, I can understand how much harder things would've been for him, it's just unfortunate the other members had to suffer for it.

As for the writer of this book, he has a massive wealth of knowledge, though at times the writing dragged on and was bogged down with too much detail, plus I couldn't give two craps about the people who filled the originals' roles. To me, Guns 'N' Roses is the original line up: Slash (Notice how I put him first? For me, he's the heart of GNR), Axl, Duff, Izzy, and Steven, plus Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke are also important. I don't mind acknowledging those two since I think of them as GNR, plus Dizzy Reed. Everyone else that followed, nah, don't know them, nor do I care to.

I did enjoy reading about Velvet Revolver again, mostly because of Slash and Duff, plus Matt. I would like to read Steven Adler's book next. P.S. I liked reading about Sebastian Bach too, I'd just finished reading his book the day before. He's such a lively fella, who does fantastic concerts. I saw Slid Row in the 80s. One of the best concerts ever. My ears rang for three days afterwards but it was totally worth it!

Ultimate thoughts of this book, its took about three months to finish and I'm glad it's over, whereas Slash's book was a fast read and I was sad when it was finished. So, IMO, read Slash's book first.
Profile Image for Sebastian Sampallo.
351 reviews12 followers
January 4, 2021
I've been a huge Guns N' Roses fan since I was about 14 or so. I would say that it is still one of my favourite bands, although my taste has become somewhat more diversified with my increasing wisdom and life experience... Notwithstanding this, I have read surprisingly little about Guns N' Roses. As a consequence, Mick Wall's book really gave me a better understanding of Guns N' Roses, where they came from and what caused what appeared to be the unhealable rift between the band members (although we know now that not even Axl's and Slash's feud was unhealable).

I loved many parts of the book, and since I have intimate knowledge about the songs of Guns N' Roses, it was really cool to get to know more about how the songs came to be, and what they are about. The history of the some of the songs I was already aware of (For example, I knew Mr. Brownstone was about heroine and Night train was a cheap whine), although that was not the case with all of them.

The book was perhaps a little too long. While I enjoyed the many details, I would assume that someone not as interested in Guns N' Roses would not have the same tolerance. Although, perhaps this would not be a book for them either.

In other news, I have read that Axl and Slash have been spending their Corona quarantines writing new music for Guns N' Roses. I will believe it when I see it, but damn, that would be great. "Not in this lifetime", my ass!
March 21, 2019
Based on various magazine and video interviews, books and online sources, this book is the history from the beginning to now of what is considered to be one of the greatest rock bands of all time and, The Last of the Giants, Guns N Roses.
I liked this book and would recommend it if you are into GNR. My interest grew with each chapter. The first several chapters were quite fast paced with shocking storylines that didn’t have enough time to sink in. Some controversial topics seemed to be glorified as a “rock n roll” lifestyle including the alleged rape of an underage girl which I wasn’t a fan of...
The writing jumped between accounts from different sources so was a little hard to follow at times, but that also may be due to the fact that I read before bed and my attention isn’t always at 100%.
All of the band members, despite their various addictions and downfalls over the years were portrayed in a light that made them all likeable and I felt sympathy for each one. The disputes between the band were all quite factual and unbiased in anyone’s favour. These disputes were the reoccurring theme of the bands history and they were notorious for their no shows to concerts, late starts and crazy riots.
3-3.5 stars, I’m undecided. All I know is that if GNR ever have another concert, I’ll be buying a ticket!
Profile Image for Erik Hermeler.
63 reviews2 followers
December 20, 2021
Compleet en leuk verhaal over alle leden van Guns n Roses, inclusief not in this lifetime tour.

Je leest ook waarom Axl Rose bepaalde keuzes maakt wat het interessant maakt. Begin is het leukste, later gaat het veel over de randzaken en de managers. Toch blijft het boeien.

Dit boek heb ik na de biografie van Duff McKagan gelezen, waardoor ik van Duff al veel wist. Als je dat boek nog niet hebt gelezen, zou ik eerst daarmee beginnen.
Profile Image for Syarul.
45 reviews
January 8, 2020
A mediocre book about Guns N Roses. Such a pain in the ass trying to finish this book. I personally more prefer The Dirt by Motley Crue rather than this so-called band biography.
Profile Image for kirstie.
60 reviews1 follower
July 21, 2022
As an absolute avid GNR fan and I saw this in my local library I knew I just had to grab it! I've already read Slash's own autobiography (even though that was years ago now, so calls for a re-read) but this was so much better and more in-depth into the band themselves, as you see the trials and tribulations, the successes and (sort of) failures from all sides of the story, with stories coming from the different line ups of the band, as well as the managers, and Scott Weiland of Velvet Revolver, along with snippets of reviews (album reviews and tour/concert reviews) from magazines/newspapers and radio interviews.
Profile Image for Les.
260 reviews23 followers
January 1, 2017
Wo, what a ride! This book is a crazy and excellent historical exposé of one of the biggest and best rock bands the world has ever seen. A weird and sometimes frustrating story, written in an easy and informal style by a top respected music journalist, I enjoyed this from the first word to the last. While the GN'R saga is generally well known these days, this book seems to offer the story in a fresh and exciting new way which makes it so much fun to read. It's current too (published late 2016) so there is plenty of gen on the "reunion" and the pleasantly surprising Axl/DC shows. I loved it. I recommend it for any fan of Guns N' Roses and/or rock music in general, and it rates for me as the second best music bio that I've read to date after Slash's own autobiography.
Profile Image for Jason.
45 reviews45 followers
March 18, 2018
If you want the real story you have to go to the source - Mick Wall. This guy was in Guns N’ Roses inner circle. He knew them personally. They trusted him, up to a point. When I was a kid listening to “get in the ring” (Axl calls him out on that song) I had no idea who mick Wall was at the time. He was the front line reporter for the rock n roll revolution back in the day.

You will get a full on, detailed account of the band’s beginning up to their “not in this lifetime” tour. Wall does a great job of covering the details of the band and their management through the years. I have read slash’s and Duff’s autobiographies and this book lines up with their first hand accounts.

Any fan of the band should read this book.
Profile Image for James Jobe.
February 20, 2017
If you're looking to get a good updated overview of the Guns history then this is a good book. Though Mick does seem to use the same anecdotes a couple of times for several stories which was annoying and strange, but he writes well and it's an interesting read. If you're really into the band though you can't go past all the band members autobiographies (excluding Izzy and Axl), even though they may have been out of their heads most of the time, you can't beat authenticity straight from the rockers mouths.
123 reviews
May 29, 2018
They saw you should never meet your hero’s, and that should probably be expanded to never read about them either. Mick Wall obviously knows what he talking about but you can't get past the fact all these people are pretty dull, especially after a succession of inter-changeable drugs/ booze filled anecdotes. Taking themselves much more seriously than the Crue there’s little to save the last third of this where no one is doing much of anything, but taking a long time doing it.
Profile Image for Russ.
38 reviews3 followers
August 4, 2018
This book does a really good job of not being one sided & just tells the story of guns & roses straight, good or bad. I grew up listening to guns n roses and heard stories of how weird axl roses was. This book explains why he was the way he was. One second your thinking what an asshole he is and deserved everything he got and the next second your feeling sorry for the guy. Great book if your even a little bit of a fan of guns n roses.
Profile Image for Aomame*.
109 reviews6 followers
February 25, 2022
"I Guns N' Roses sono sempre stati un gruppo fuori tempo, gli Ultimi Giganti, Quella qualità autentica, trascinante che ogni gruppo rock dai tempi dei Rolling Stones ha rivendicato e non è quasi mai riuscita ad avere: la pericolosità. Creature in cerca di guai da un altro mondo, venute qui a rubarci l'anima, a succhiarci il sangue. A fotterci. Non l'hanno mai negato. Nemmeno negli anni Ottanta, quando stavano appena iniziando, quei ragazzi dello Strip di L.A. minacciosi, maliziosi, col culo scoperto e tatuati che dicevano "cazzo" nel primo singolo. Quegli scherzi della natura drogati di luci al neon che si rifiutavano di seguire le regole. Dovevi guardare due volte, perché c'era da non credere ai tuoi occhi. In un periodo in cui i sorridenti Bon Jovi, amici di MTV, promotori del sesso sicuro e del no alle droghe erano il gruppo più famoso del mondo, c'era una band che sembrava essere saltata fuori direttamente dalle pagine intrise di sangue e sporche di coca della scena rock originale del periodo d'oro di fine anni Sessanta; un periodo in cui formazioni magiche, mistiche e musicali come Led Zeppelin, Doors e Stones stavano scrivendo le proprie regole, disegnando le un mondo fatto di strani sogni e fantasie proibite. Non sembrava possibile, ma nulla di Axl Rose, Slash, Duff e Izzy (dove avevano trovato quei nomi?) sembrava possibile. Ed è il motivo per cui, alla fine, ci siamo innamorati pazzamente di loro. E il motivo per cui adesso vogliamo che ci restituiscano quelle sensazioni quando ne abbiamo ancora più bisogno.
[...]
Soprattutto, i Guns N' Roses erano importanti perché in un periodo in cui sembrava che fosse tutto finito per quel genere strafottente e diretto, è arrivata questa band totalmente impossibile che rappresentava il tipo di rivoluzione mentale che non fa prigionieri e che non vedevamo dal 1969. I Guns N' Roses hanno riportato i tempi cupi, e per questo motivo hanno conquistato i cuori neri di tutti i ragazzacci e le ragazze fighe. Anche alla gente normale piacevano i Guns N' Roses, si sapeva che avevano qualcosa di autentico, anche se lasciava i lividi"
Profile Image for siica.
26 reviews2 followers
October 26, 2022
“O Guns N’ Roses sempre foi uma banda atemporal, o último dos gigantes. Aquele ouro maciço, que toda banda de rock desde os Rolling Stones sempre quis ser e quase nunca conseguiu: perigosa. Criaturas de outro reino à-procura-de-problemas, que estão aqui para roubar nossas almas, sugar nosso sangue. A gente que se foda.”

Não sei o que dizer depois desse livro, ao mesmo tempo em que foi um livro rico, e me fizeram viajar para Los Angeles dos anos 80, e sentir todo o caos envolvido nisso. Alguns capítulos perdiam o ritmo da narrativa, me fazendo demorar mais que o pretendido pra terminar o livro. Tirando esse detalhe mínimo, absolutamente incrível. Eu estava obcecada pela banda enquanto lia isso. Eu amo tudo que o Guns construiu, e o quão genuíno eles eram com suas convicções e seu gosto pela música.

E como o próprio mick wall diz “Este é o Guns N’ Fuckin’ Roses, meu bem. E, como diz a música, eles nunca, jamais cairão.”
19 reviews
May 19, 2020
Mick Wall should probably just leave Guns N’ Roses alone.

I read his biography on Axl a couple of months ago and as I read this band biography, I couldn’t help but feel like much of the information was copy and paste. While it’s fair to say that post-Illusion era GN’R were pretty much just Axl running the show, it would have been nice for the years preceding their breakup to be more diverse. The constant digs at Axl never stop throughout the book and it makes me wonder if Mick only writes about the band as his way of “sticking it to Axl” for being name-dropped thirty years ago.

Solid information for most of the book, but the Axl-bashing is tired and a warm-toned chapter at the end of the book doesn’t make up for it.
Profile Image for Stef.
51 reviews1 follower
August 27, 2020
The very depressing rise and demise of one of the most greatest rock bands of all time: guns n roses. Band members getting fired, quitting, the never ending tantrums from an obvious member of the group, and why the hell it took 17 years to bring out a new album.

No offence to Doug Goldstein but he’s got his head so far up axls ass and yet he is still hated by the man over something so silly.
Defends mr rose by saying that the reason he is always late to his shows is because he wants the absolute best for his fans. Spending hours on vocal warm ups, getting massages, acupuncture and if that doesn’t feel right he doesn’t even go out at all?!? No, that’s not for the fans. I’m sorry but it takes a very selfish person to be wasting someone’s time and in the case, money.
This book just only seemed to focus on the bad and never the good. Was there any good from that band?
Profile Image for Chloe Brown.
January 3, 2023
the power of this book, the undiluted facts and stories that encapsulates guns n roses as a band. the life of the band, the ups and downs, the breakups and the reunion. i have learnt and retained an abundance of information, about a band i hold so closely to my heart. now, i hold them even closer.
the final chapter concludes the novel flawlessly, capturing the emotions and story you felt and discovered throughout the entirety of the novel. the appreciation i have for them as a whole - and individually is immeasurable. guns n fuckin roses, you are incredible.
and Mick Wall, you are right - Axl Rose, you won
Profile Image for Reverenddave.
311 reviews11 followers
May 5, 2019
Much has been written about this band and there are books out there that are more detailed and have more narrative clarity on the heyday of the band; but like Fare Thee Well, about the post-Jerry Garcia Grateful Dead, this book is the definitive portrait of the band from when it fell apart after the Illusion Tour till it’s unlikely reunion in 2016.

For those of us who weren’t old enough to see anything but faux GnR live until the last few years, it’s an incredible insight into the trials and self inflicted travails of one of the greatest rock bands in the world.
Profile Image for Vick Sokolove.
Author 1 book1 follower
April 30, 2020
Quite informative but everything you will find in it, you can also find on youtube or anywhere online. It's all he said, she said with plenty of dates and names, confusing at moments and tiresome as well. Missing a real narrative is an issue in these type of books as the reader cannot really connect with anyone and loses interest quickly. However it's not all bad but its obvious that is written to make a quick buck
Profile Image for Declan Walsh.
3 reviews
September 18, 2018
Warts and all.

Very few people can bring to a rock biography the knowledge and first hand experience that Mick Wall does.

This is an excellent read and a must for any Guns N’ Roses fans. Well researched and in depth, the extra chapter covering the recent “Not in this lifetime” is a nice extra too.
Profile Image for Salma.
53 reviews5 followers
August 27, 2019
An eye opening book about what the band went trough from their earliest lives to their current reunion I really enjoyed it even though I struggled to continue reading when the band or matter of fact Axl was in his darkest moments but other than that this is a must read for any fan who wanted to nurture their knowledge on the band
Profile Image for Jeff.
152 reviews3 followers
November 7, 2019
Great history of GnR. Gritty, dirty, and drug fueled doesn't begin to describe the ride that this band took in the 90s. From Hell House to the penthouse and almost all the way back down again. It gets a little bogged down in the Chinese Democracy era but then again, so did the "band" at the time.
Definitely worth a read for fans of GnR or just fans of rock n roll.
Profile Image for LM Fitch.
November 20, 2019
Interesting read, delving into the relationships of the members of Gn'D

Gives a comprehensive background on the history of Gn'R, their relationships with each other and their other work colleagues. The struggles and triumphs individually and as a band, coming up to present time. They really are the last of the giants.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 83 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.