Start by marking “Deliverance Mary Fields, First African American Woman Star Route Mail Carrier in the United States: A Montana History” as Want to Read:

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
AN AWARD WINNING BIOGRAPHY

1885-1914. Mary Fields, a fifty-three-year old second-generation slave, emancipated and residing in Toledo, receives news of her friend’s impending death. Remedies packed in her satchel, Mary rushes to board the Northern Pacific. Days later, she arrives in the Montana wilderness to find Mother Mary Amadeus lying on frozen earth in a broken-down ca
Published September 20th 2016 by Huzzah Publishing

Columbus
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an exhaustingly researched book, roughly 504 pages or so of Mary Fields or “Stagecoach Mary” as she is so often known. Mary was the first African American Woman Star Route Mail Carrier in the United States. She was also an emancipated slave.

The western landscape plays a significant part of this story as McConnelll does a wonderful job placing you in the Montana wilderness where Mary’s journey takes hold. The author also performed extensive research gathering unknown or little known info
Jack Messenger
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
The front cover of Deliverance proclaims Mary Fields (c. 1832–1914), the putative subject of the novel, ‘First African American Woman Star Route Mail Carrier in the United States’. The cover also announces that this is ‘A Montana History’.

Mary Fields had been born into slavery and was only freed with Abolition. She must have been a woman of great determination and perseverance, for she won the respect and friendship of the communities she served, and was an independent businesswoman. ‘Black Mary
Billy Buttons
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered and was a FINALIST in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Title: Deliverance
Writing Style: 10/10
Content: 10/10
Cover: 10/10
Of the 19 readers:
19 would read another book by this author.
18 thought the cover was good or excellent.
19 felt it was easy to follow.
19 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
10 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘her knowledge of th
Betty
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the best books I have ever read. This is a true story of a remarkable woman named Mary Fields who was the only black person in Montana in the 1800's.
Despite the racial prejudice and being a woman she managed to survive by working in a convent, owning a cafe, doing laundry, babysitting, and delivering mail.
She was a six-foot tall, two hundred pound cigar smoking woman who held a rifle in one hand and a pistol in the other hand, and she knew how to use them, being the sharpshoo
Marsha
Somewhere in this overblown 500 page book is a 250 page biography that I'd like to read. Instead, it seemed that the author held a thesaurus in one hand while dreaming of ways to make 50 words say what 20 could have done just as well or better.
To say she put words in the mouths of historical figures - badly - is an overstatement. I had my doubts that a 60-something, uneducated ex-slave could speak the language that McConnell imagined.
I did not like this book. It was a waste of my time, and the w
Debra Duhoux
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than most

For a fictionalized version of Mary Field's life this was fairly good. The author is an accomplished writer so it was extremely well written. However as with most fictionalized history there is just too much added filler. Towards the end the several chapters involving women's right to vote about put me in a coma!! Overall the book is too long but still very enjoyable.
Daniel Bandy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical book

My family &I traveled west for vacation. I began reading this fascinating book during that time. This author truly made Mary & all the characters come to life. This book is also full of accurate historical data making me realize the privileges I enjoy today are because others fought for those rights. Wonderful, delightful, insightful book. Congratulations to a new favorite author of mine, Miantae Metcalf McConnell.
Sue
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story. I loved this book. It's a story about one woman, and the circle of women that spiral around her throughout her life. People and places are often cruel and harsh, but there is compassion, kindness, and beauty in the world. Mary Fields found, and shared compassion, kindness, and beauty in the faces of adversity, and cruelty.
S Sande
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A very interesting story of a very interesting woman in Montana history. However, the author overuses her skill at putting together descriptive words into very lengthy paragraphs. It was worth the read as I would like to know more about Mary Fields and the area where she delivered mail, freight & goods as well as messages in frontier USA.
Marka Marquesen
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deliverance ... is a fabulous story of a black woman with not only a strong spirit but a strong and loving heart. She exists in the midst of the most evil as well as though with good and true hearts. You will laugh, cry, and be so glad that you got to know her through the pages of this book.
Kitty Bachman
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I had trouble reading this book and staying focused. Interesting lady and story but was disjointed to me.
Donna Godfrey
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very excellent book. I hated to put it down. I sure was sorry when it came to an end.
Gidget
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book when I clicked on a book deal link only to discover I was too late and the deal had expired, Deliverance was suggested as an alternative recommended read. I am glad I took the recommendation and read this book.

Mary Fields exemplified perseverance with a capital P. This story was satisfying on so many levels, for the historical content about homestead life, women's suffrage and discrimination as well the interpersonal relationships, the bonds of friendship, love and re
Debbie
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
This book is a true story and is an amazing read, especially if you love history. It tells of Mary's hardships and perseverance and how she stuck with and battled corner with prejudice. She just wanted to be treated and for all to be treated fairly. I strongly recommend this book and dare you not to be touched by Mary's spirit and determination!
Sherri Dewey
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Best Historical Fiction Book EVER!!

I'm still in tears from finishing this remarkable true story book. Kudos to the author, Miantae M McConnell, for meticulously doing the solid research and for bringing Mary White Crow Fields into our lives and awareness. There is actually no way to compare Ms McConnell's writing style except to say it's similar to another beloved author, James Michener. I very highly recommend this book, especially if you're at all interested in A. Montana history B.
Linda McLaren
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Historical Read

It was awesome to read about her journey. The prejudices that she suffered and still trying to do right by her fellow man, the history that she made. It did saddened my heart that she did not make it to Saypo. She died not knowing all the people that truly loved her
Ana Brea
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story of Mary Fields; I am in awe of her. I was impressed with the amount of research that the author drew upon for her biography. The story is lovingly and compellingly written, and it grips you. The only reason I don't award five stars is because there is so much to this story that at times it feels the book lacks a sense of cohesiveness; there are many unresolved loose ends. I understand that the author was unwilling to give up any of the side stories which were valuable in their ...more
Linda B. Vuono
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

I strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys true accounts of people and history. This remarkable woman surpassed so many trials and setbacks that I found myself rooting for her throughout the entire book.
I very much enjoyed this book!
Sandra Holmes
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel blessed that I found and read this book. It was a page Turner, and it also reminded me of my Mother Mary who past on Good Friday 2008.

My Mother Mary was so loved, at her funeral my grandson his first funeral drew a picture of what he did on his Easter break for his kindergarten class. The crowded church with the heads and a red carpet leading to her Casket. It was beautiful to see what he saw with his 5 year-old eyes
Angie
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this historical book about civil and women's rights, perseverance, the west...
Elizabeth Trudell
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary Fields was born into in slavery and creates a new life for herself in the rough conditions of the Montana frontier. Faced with constraints and prejudice due to her skin color and gender, she earns the respect and affection of her community. Her strength of character leads her to independence and even to become the first woman voter in her town in the time of the woman’s suffrage movement.

This book gives voice to the experiences of pioneers and of Native Americans, of missionaries and of pol
Nancy Ashley
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A terrific non-fiction that reads like fiction. We wouldn't believe it as a fictional tale.

The story of Mary Fields would be a terrific read in any event, but to know that it is NON-fiction, thoroughly researched and historically accurate is amazing. Ms. McConnell has presented a true-life drama that is a real page-turner from start to finish. Of course, as a woman, I appreciate the gains that Mary made in her life, in her community, in Montana. And to know that she was African-American and had
Evie
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book. The true story of Mary Fields, a survivor of slavery, who battled against the odds in Montana in the late 19th and early 20th century. She was the first black mail carrier and the first black person registered to vote in Cascade.
The story is more than hagiography. Early in the story M M McConnell presents a complex tale of the loyalties, sometimes conflicting, between Mary and the Native American girls struggling to maintain their identities in the church boarding school desiri
Harfijah
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy historical fiction, you won't be able to stop reading this American West story full of drama and authentic characters. If you gravitate towards social justice issues and enjoy dramas with contrary points of view, look no further.

McConnell expertly transports the reader into the landscape of Montana. Her prose lingered in my mind and prompted me to imagine how I might have fared as a pioneer in Mary Fields' world. I love stories that ignite me, inspire me to root and cheer for fearle
Soli Nichiyo Davis
Free of spirit and ahead of her time!!

A wonderful woman ahead of her time, pushing and changing boundaries hard won with her integrity, intelligence and perseverance during the 1850-1914! An inspiring life and a great look into Montana's history.
Delena constant
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
White Crow

The Woman ,Mary Fields(White Crow) won the West with strength and honor.I cryed, I hoped,I lived her life with her. Miantae Metcalf McConnell it is a privledge to give this biography five Stars A must read.
Avid Reader
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Miantae Metcalf McConnell brings Mary Fields, the first African American woman star route mail carrier, to life with beautiful prose and rich folk wisdom.
Kandi Crill
Jan 25, 2017
Sarah Stevens
Apr 22, 2018
david burnham
Jan 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Miantae Metcalf McConnell, born and raised in California, spent childhood summers in Montana on her grandparent's farm. It was there her heart remained, in the wild open where she rode horseback, fished for trout and spent endless hours exploring a diverse natural landscape.

Years later she returned to claim Montana as her home of residence (not unlike her Montana homesteader ancestors) and contin
More about Miantae Metcalf McConnell

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99