Start by marking “Her Last Breath (Detective Kerri Blasco #2)” as Want to Read:
Her Last Breath (Detective Kerri Blasco #2)

Her Last Breath

(Detective Kerri Blasco #2)

A chilling psychological thriller about a woman caught between two men...
Mari Gill wakes to horror in a strange apartment next to a murdered man, and can't remember the night before. Accused of murder, she feels torn between her husband, a successful defense attorney, and a mysterious, kind man who wants to help. Can she trust either of them - or even her friends? Detecti
Published October 21st 2016 by RGS Media

To ask other readers questions about Her Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Last Breath

Start your review of Her Last Breath (Detective Kerri Blasco #2)
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
Find all my reviews on my blog: https://thesuspenseisthrillingme.com

Date Read: 10/22/16
Pub Date: 10/21/16

4 STARS

A chilling psychological thriller about a woman caught between two men…
Mari Gill wakes to horror in a strange apartment next to a murdered man, and can’t remember the night before. Accused of murder, she feels torn between her husband, a successful defense attorney, and a mysterious, kind man who wants to help. Can she trust either of them – or even her friends? Detective Kerri Blas
Brenda
Mari Gill’s terror was only just beginning – not recognising where she was on waking, the horror of the dead man lying beside her had her screaming. As Mari scrambled to escape the bed her screams were heard – before she knew it she was being arrested for the murder of a prominent photographer she didn’t know and had never met before…

Detective Kerri Blasco and her partner Detective Alex Brand thought they had a straightforward case – guy murdered, drunk woman beside him, her prints the only ones
Linda Strong
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
She wakes up in bed with a naked man .... who has a knife sticking out of his chest. She doesn't know who he is ... doesn't know where she is .... she doesn't remember anything from the night before ... all she really knows is that there is blood on her hands.

As she scrambles off the bed and in hysterics crawls across the floor looking for the purse ...she has asthma, she needs her inhaler pronto. And as she's breathing her last breath, a man appears who saves her life.

So begins a psychologica
—ReadAlongWithSue—
I kept shouting "Who do I trust" throughout this book.

The author did a fantastic job in making me feel that I could trust no one, which meant that it kept me awake and alert throughout, I sat reading this in one day not being able put it down at all.

I adore this authors style of writing, its right up my street.

The writing is crisp, no hidden yawns at all whilst reading this.

It seems the authors agenda is 'straight to the point' get the reader right into the marrow of the story as soon as she put
Lee
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Mari wakes to find herself in a strange room, covered in blood, and laying in a bed with a man she does not know who has a knife in the middle of his chest. Mari is in total shock, she has no idea who this man is and why she is in this room. It turns out the man is a very respected fashion photographer who has recently become very much in demand. Soon Mari is arrested on a murder charge but the detectives looking after the case, Kerri Blasko and her boss Alex Brand, believe there is much more go ...more
Whispering Stories
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I knew I’d love this book the second Mari Gill woke up in bed next to a man with a knife sticking out of his chest. She has no idea how she got there or where the hell her asthma inhaler as gone, all she knows is that she needs it to survive long enough to find out who’s set her up.
Luckily for her, an unknown attractive man turns up and gives her CPR and calls an ambulance. He seems determined to become a part of her life to keep her safe, but his motives are unclear. Between this slice of good
Emma
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is such a good read! I haven’t had the pleasure of reading a J.A. Schneider novel before (Fear Dreams is on my wishlist) but I will definitely be making a beeline for her books in future. There’s something about this book and I can’t quite put my finger on it, but, gosh….it sucked me in!

Mari Gill wakes to a bloodbath. Thankfully it’s not her blood but that of a naked man lying next to her on the bed with a knife in his chest! Maybe she shouldn’t be so thankful after all. Did she kill him? S
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Her Last Breath is the second novel by this author that features Detective Kerri Blasco. Fear Dreams is the first one to feature Kerri in but don’t worry if you haven’t read it as both books are more like stand alone’s than books in an actual series.

What I really enjoyed about this novel is how the author concentrates on Mari who is in trouble, whilst slowly bringing in Kerri and the presence of the police. This way we get a really good feel into what is going on in the accused’s life as well as
Nicki
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Although this is the second book in the Kerri Blasco series it can be read and enjoyed as a stand alone.

Mari Gill wakes up in a strange room,she is covered in blood and lying next to a dead man with a knife protruding from his chest.The shock and fear of the situation causes Mari to have a massive asthma attack and she is just about to pass out when she is rescued by a mysterious stranger who saves her life and calls the emergency services.Unfortunately for Mari because she was found in a room w
J C Steel
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Waking up with amnesia next to a dead body is enough to panic anyone. For Mari Gill, suffering from extreme asthma, the shock was nearly enough to kill her too. Injured, arrested, and unable to remember a single thing about the previous night, Mari turns to her ex-husband, a prominent defence lawyer, for help, but her case doesn't look great. With only one NYPD detective willing to look deeper into the facts of the case, Mari's just lucky that that one detective is Kerri Blasco: intuitive, drive ...more
Alan Cotterell
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Almost perfect

Loved this book from paragraph one.
Very good strong, well developed characters. Didn't seem to matter that I hadn't read book 1. I will be though! I read this in about a day and a half, work gets in the way. It charges along at breakneck speed, with lots of red herrings.
I will definitely be reading more of this series, especially after reading the first few chapters of book 3 here. I am hooked. Do I read book 3 first or go back to book 1?
Dee Arr
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: detective
There was just enough to hold my interest in "Her Last Breath," but just barely, and for a number of reasons.

I have read another of author J. A, Schneider's Kerri Blasco detective series, and it was dismaying to see some of the same themes. Painfully obvious is the "Let's-not-believe-Kerri's-hunches," practiced to the point of absurdity with her boss and partner/boyfriend. While this may work once, going to the same well again only damages the credibility of the characters.

The characters thems
Shell Baker
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Imagine waking up in a strange apartment next to a murdered man Then being accused of murder …..The thought of it is unbearable but this is what happened to Mari Gill. She finds herself torn between two men one being her husband and the other being a mysterious kind man!

This story starts off with one hell of a tense climax where I was literally on the edge of my seat. This is where I knew this was going to be a corker and I wasn't wrong. After this amazing start I was well and truly hooked and d
Nerdish Mum
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-2016
Imagine waking up next to a dead body and not knowing how you got there, why they're dead or even who the body is. That's how the story starts and you really feel the stress and shock felt by Mari as she wakes up to this living nightmare. This was a really great start to the book and it had me hooked instantly as I needed to know what had happened.

The story is fast paced and there are twists and turns throughout that keep you guessing as to what really happened. I had decided a few times who I
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
'Her Last Breath' is a superb murder mystery that immediately kicks off with one of the most terrifying, heart-pounding openings I've ever read. Though it is the second book featuring Detective Kerri Blasco, it can very well be read as a standalone.

Mari Gill, wakes up dazed and confused to a horrific, nightmarish scene. She finds herself in a strange room, on a blood-soaked mattress next to a bloodied corpse of an unknown male.

When police and emergency services rush to the scene, Mari is treat
Karen
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Her Last Breath (Detective Kerri Blasco #2) by J.A. Schneider

Mari Gill gets arrested for the murder of a well known photographer she has never even met. She wakes up not knowing where she is or who the naked dead man's body is. He has a knife thrust through his chest with blood everywhere. Did Mari do this or is she being framed by an unknown murderer still on the loose? Detective Kerry Blasco and her partner Alex Brand are leading the investigation. Mari is separated from her husband named Ted
Melissa Borsey
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. What a great book this was! This book had everything, a great highly suspenseful plot, great characters, great writing. I was hooked from the first page and with all the twists and turns and surprises, I was kept guessing as to who dunnit until the very end! I highly recommend this book!
Madelon
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
J. A. Schneider writes perfect books for people in a hurry. Also for commuters with time on their hands as they ride on trains, buses, ferries and subways. In my mind these commuter folks are her perfect audience. Why? Because the action starts on page 1! You are into the story before you have a minute to decide whether you want to be or not. Somehow, there is no putting her books down until you get to the last page. I would venture to say, some people could polish off HER LAST BREATH by readin ...more
Angel Gelique
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it

Thirty-three-year-old Mari Gill awakens with a sticky hand and soon realizes that she's covered in blood. Not her blood though...it's from the dead man beside her. She quickly becomes the prime suspect in the man's murder. Her husband, prominent defense attorney Ted Curry, comes to her aid and assures her that everything is going to be fine. Mari doesn't know the man and can't remember how she ended up in his bed. B
Jean
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Her Last Breath is the 2nd book in the Detective Kerri Blasco series. I did not read the first book in the series and I don't feel like you have to in order to read this one. The main character in this book is Mari Gill and not Detective Kerri Blasco.

Mari Gill wakes up in a strange apartment next to a man who has been stabbed to death. With no memory of last night's events, who can she really trust?

This was an ok whodunit mystery. There were parts of the story that was not believable. The quic
Joanne Robertson
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although billed as book #2 in a series, this is very much a standalone novel and anything you need to know about Kerri and her backstory is covered very well. But after reading you will probably be such a big fan of the lovely Kerri that you will be seeking out her first case anyway! The main character here in this book is actually Mari but Kerri plays her role well as police detective with a heart and an instinctive nose for the truth.

Now I’m pretty sure that we have all had times where we have
Kitty Catalyst
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
If you know you're being framed, you can only trust yourself. But what if you can't remember what happened in order to prove your innocence? Can you still trust yourself?
Mari Gill wakes up in a strange apartment. In a strange bed. Next to a strange man. A very dead man. In a panic, Mari dashes from the blood soaked sheets to find her lost asthma inhalor. A man rushes in and finds the inhaler just before she loses consciousness.
She wakes up in the hospital in restraints, confronted by a pair of
Trista Borgwardt
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me just say that J.A. Schneider sure knows how to deliver a masterful story! I have read all of the Embryo series and now the first two in the Kerri Blasco series and never once was I bored or not engaged in the story. Her Last Breath captures you at the beginning and keeps your eyes glued to every page until the last one.

Mari wakes up after a rough night, not knowing where she is and things quickly turn for the worse. Mari is accused of murdering a man she has never met before, but she did
Melanie Adkins
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mari Gill is trying to get her writing career in full swing. It's not easy though. She just needs that one scoop. While trying to get her career going, she and her husband separate. The summer was a long one for them both. Now she's not sure if she should go back to her neglectful husband or get to know this mysterious guy she just met.

Extremely well written, well plotted and with characters you'll love or hate, this book is tops. The approach to this thriller is one many of you haven't seen
Ann
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Her Last Breath is the first story I've read by J. A. Schneider but it certainly won't be the last. Excellent descriptions of scenes made me feel I was there and part of the action. Some twists and surprises with a little edge of your seat thrown in. Ms Schneider kept me guessing until the end. I was given a copy to review.
Asimah Akhtar
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book after reading the first Kerri Blasco story called Fear Dreams, which I really enjoyed. I have to say I enjoyed this a lot more. An interesting read, which had me gripped. I thought I guessed the story near the end, but how wrong I was!
Wiseask
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Author J. A. Schneider’s lack of writing skills are on full display in Her Last Breath.

In her profile, Ms. Schneider bills herself as a former Newsweek staffer. Note that she does not say she was a Newsweek “writer;” for all we know of her as a “staffer” she was gracing the halls of Newsweek as a gofer. Judging by the quality of her writing in this book, she was a barely literate gofer.

Ms. Schneider also bills herself as the author of “psychological thrillers.” Kindle had offered me for free the
Pat
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm still catching up with my reviews. I read this ages ago but somehow the review didn't get onto Goodreads so here it is.

Imagine waking up next to a strange, naked dead man with a knife sticking out of his chest. That would freak anyone out - right? The stress is so much for poor Mari that her asthma renders her breathless and she can't reach her inhaler. Another strange man, Jay, hears her screams and comes to her rescue and tries to help her. From there it gets worse for Mari. Her prints are
Olga Miret
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Suspense, red herrings, and a couple of detectives to keep an eye on. Thanks to NetGalley and to the publisher, RGS Media, for offering me an ARC copy of this novel that I review voluntarily.
This is the second book in the Detective Kerry Blasco Series, but it can be read independently and although I haven’t read the first book in the series I could follow the story without difficulties.
The novel starts with a bang. The story is told in the first person and we share with the main character, Mari,
Kaz
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked Detective Kerri Blasco in Fear Dreams, so it's good to see her back in action in this thrilling novel. From the first page I knew I was in for a real treat..again, Kerri and her partner make really good partners, both at work and at home, and I was rooting for them all the way through, so , the plot....can you imagine waking up in a strange room, trying to get your brain in gear, when it slowly dawns on you, there is a man in the bed, blood is everywhere, including on you, and he ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
TMB Book Reviews: Her Last Breath by J.A. Schneider 1 3 Oct 18, 2016 06:05PM

• See Me Not
  • Closet Full of Bones
  • Cry From The Grave  (Harry Briscombe, #1)
  • Inside The Whispers (Dr. Samantha Willerby #1)
  • Stories Untold
  • Birdsongs (Benny James Mystery #1)
  • Bullet Drop (London Carter, #4)
  • Consequential Damages
  • Losing Lauren (Detective Rachel Storme #2)
  • Goodbye My Precious Child (DI Sally Parker #6)
  • Cold Jade (John Rockne Mysteries #3)
  • Around the Bend
  • Dark Lava (Lei Crime, #7)
  • Don't Tell Meg (Don't Tell Meg Trilogy Book 1)
  • Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
  • At Last (Redemption Thriller #6; Alex Troutt Thriller, #6)
  • Red Julie (Olivia Miller Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Lies
Wheaton College, Norton MA (French Lit Major, Minor in Spanish & squeezed in Russian)
Sorbonne, Jr. Year in Paris
Exchange student in the Soviet Union, where I got arrested for spreading anti-Soviet propaganda - ha! Caught with friends laughing at their pea-green-colored drinking water; that was the offense; four of us arrested. Let go after a day, guess they decided we weren't worth an internationa

Detective Kerri Blasco (4 books)
  • Fear Dreams (Detective Kerri Blasco, #1)
  • Watching You (Detective Kerri Blasco #3)
  • Shoeless Child (Detective Kerri Blasco #4)