Start by marking “Artificial Intelligence: What Everyone Needs to Know” as Want to Read:
Artificial Intelligence: What Everyone Needs to Know

Artificial Intelligence: What Everyone Needs to Know

(What Everyone Needs to Know)

Over the coming decades, Artificial Intelligence will profoundly impact the way we live, work, wage war, play, seek a mate, educate our young, and care for our elderly. It is likely to greatly increase our aggregate wealth, but it will also upend our labor markets, reshuffle our social order, and strain our private and public institutions. Eventually it may alter how we se ...more
Published September 1st 2016 by Oxford University Press (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Artificial Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artificial Intelligence

Start your review of Artificial Intelligence: What Everyone Needs to Know
Ryan Lackey
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a good overview of AI. The first half or so of the book was a very useful 'for beginners, generally intelligent, but not computer scientists' introduction to the components of AI, how it works, what it does and doesn't do, why it is happening now, etc. The last 25-50% of the book was Kaplan's personal extrapolation about ethics and society with respect to AI, and a lot less valuable. In retrospect if I'd stopped reading right when that tangent started I probably would consider this a 5/ ...more
Dani
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
You don't need to read both this book and "Humans Need Not Apply." They both cover the same topics. This book is essentially the cliffnotes version of "Humans Need Not Apply," so read one or the other according to how in dept you want to get.
Laurence
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Clear and succinct, exactly how an introduction should be. I've already read a few books on this topic but a couple of extra parts I'd not seen before (or remembered).
Dale
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great overview of AI.

The first half of the book was a very useful introduction for non-computer scientists about how AI, works, what it does (and doesn't do), this history of AI and major players, etc.

The back half of the book was Kaplan's take on where AI is going as a futurist.

If you are interested in the topic and don't have time to read the whole thing, definitely read the first part.
Ross Harrison
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
easily excessible without being dumbed down.

It's a quick read. Recommend for everyone.
Ed Terrell
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017

I’ve heard the ants laughing and have heard the synapses in a cats brain crackle and fire...

We are bound to anthropomorphize. We assume others who look and talk like us must also think and feel like us. Is this proof or do we need the extended Turing test? Kaplan does a fine job at reviewing the nature of AI as well as the effect of automation changing the nature of work. It suffices to say, that it is not necessary for a machine to actually have self awareness but if it acts like it
Terry Tse
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book by Stanford professor and AI expert Jerry Kaplan offers a succinct and balanced introduction to this important field. He covers a wide range of topics from the history of AI, its philosophical debates and its wide-ranging impact on society, law, ethics and the economy. Professor Kaplan patiently explains that despite all the fanfare, the machine learning approach to AI has been around for decades, only advancing recently due to significant improvements in hardware and the wide availabi ...more
Gianluca
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not aimed at more technical readers, but instead offers a suitable background in AI principles and history, before speculating how AI is likely to influence society in coming decades.

If you have little to no background in AI/ML and are looking for a short read that will help you make career or policy decisions, then this would be a pretty good start. For readers interested in the more technical slant, Pedro Domingo’s The Master Algorithm is a better place to turn.

I was surprised by the
Tanay Gupta
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read - introduces AI concepts with extensive footnotes that can be used as a deeper dive into specific focus areas (e.g. how AI will impact law or Human Labor). After having taken an intro to AI course in Undergrad, I found that the book also entertains an audience with some technical background - particularly so, by equating the algorithm to a rational agent or discussing neural networks.

Highly recommend for anyone looking to learn the fundamentals of a buzzword that wil
Sudhir Bharadhwaj
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jerry Kaplan brings in many different perspectives on AI. I had read this earlier book "Humans Need Not Apply" and came out very impressed his point of view. Anyone who wishes to understand AI broadly including imperatives for Humanity and Society at large will gain immensely by reading this book. There are serious questions on AI and Jerry handles it superbly without resorting to populist approach.
M. Fatih Yegul
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
An easy mostly non-technical read for those who wonder what AI might bring to our lives. Author efficiently explains the history of the field and then provides a framework for the possible future impacts of AI applications. With extreme hypothetical examples, the readers are introduced to what might be lying ahead in the near or distant future with implications in economics, employment, law and more..
billy
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Went into the library on a whim today an grabbed the only book they had on AI. Pretty good considering! It succeeded in doing exactly what I hoped for: gave me a framework to think about AI through, got specific about various applications of it (watch out, lawyers!), provided strong caution when prognosticating the way in which AI will affect labor markets and extend wealth disparity, but then stopped short of giving credence to conspiracy theories that see this as the beginning of the end.
Stefano Pensabene
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first half of the book is a good introduction to the world of Artificial Intelligence. In a clear language, it explains to the neophyte what AI is by giving a lot of examples in all the fields where it is used. The second half of the book is less convincing. It raises a number of issues, also ethical issues such as if a machine commits a crime can be held accountable for it, which seem to me too far fetched for the time being.
Tõnu Vahtra
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I expected more insights from a book that focuses on state of AI in 2017, since I already knew most of the topics in the book I should assume that I know more than average person in these matters.

AI/singularity books take either the positive or negative approach (like end of humankind), this book would be situated more on the positive side.
Robin Jose
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A good primer for the uninitiated.

This is not a technical book - it's more of a layman's overview. It serves that purpose well. Author discusses the issues, philosophical as well as social aspects well - however it could have been better to spend a chapter to describe what AI in terms of technology (without necessarily getting into code).
Kaspars Koo
Good introduction of AI for beginners.
I enjoyed most of the book but did not agree with all of the claims made. Then again, the author was very clear from the beginning that this is not a scientific book, but rather his opinions.
Jeevan
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brief intro to AI. If you are curious to learn about AI because of the hype about it Int he world, this book may be the one to consider. It will give an intro about history of AI, what has been so far. It is a non technical book
Mark
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good splash of cold water on the hype of "artificial intelligence" in the media and industry.
Omar El-mohri
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audio-copy
A overview for non tech guys about AI and what to expect.
Dex
Jun 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
If you're looking for anything other than a very wordy overview, look elsewhere.
Laura Ostermeyer
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent intro to AI that's an easy read for anyone to understand and enjoy.
Peter
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well worth a read.
sadiq
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to AI
Aranya
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you need a primer on Artificial Intelligence, without any pompous bullshit, this is the book to pick.
Peter Jacobs
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice overview of the development of AI and the current and future issues facing us, with some history and economics thrown in.
Kari Olfert
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I learnt a lot about AI, granted I knew very little going in.
Pupsi
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good primer on AI
Janice
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Clear introduction to AI. I listened to the audiobook and replayed parts so I could digest them while multitasking.
Yang Zhang
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ai
The book is excellent overview of AI, from engineering perspective to its broader social impact.
Darren
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artificial intelligence is going to change everything in our lives; yet this as a claim seems nothing new, since from the first days of the computer have we been promised a different future when the computer is able to think for itself. Come to think of it, we are still waiting for the true paperless office as well.

This book is another that sets out to look at the advantages and possible disadvantages that artificial intelligence will bring, and since many systems today are more capable of inde

• The Sentient Machine: The Coming Age of Artificial Intelligence
  • Machine Learning
  • Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
  • AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • The 11 Laws of Likability: Relationship Networking . . . Because People Do Business with People They Like
  • The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality and Our Destiny Beyond Earth
  • Draft of a Letter
  • The Book of Why: The New Science of Cause and Effect
  • Treasure Islands: Uncovering the Damage of Offshore Banking and Tax Havens
  • House of Day, House of Night
  • The Cold War: History in an Hour
  • Zrób mi jakąś krzywdę... czyli wszystkie gry video są o miłości
  • Machine Learning For Absolute Beginners: A Plain English Introduction
Kaplan is widely known as a serial entrepreneur, technical innovator, bestselling author, and futurist. He co-founded four Silicon Valley startups, two of which became publicly traded companies. His best-selling non-fiction novel "Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure" was selected by Business Week as one of the top ten business books of the year, was optioned to Sony Pictures, and is available in J ...more

What Everyone Needs to Know (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • ADHD: What Everyone Needs to Know
  • Advertising: What Everyone Needs to Know
  • Agricultural and Food Controversies: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)
  • Al Qaeda, the Islamic State, and the Global Jihadist Movement: What Everyone Needs to Know
  • American Higher Education in Crisis?: What Everyone Needs to Know
  • Animal Rights: What Everyone Needs to Know
  • Antibiotics: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)
  • Antiquities: What Everyone Needs to Know®
  • Atheism: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)
  • Authoritarianism: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)