Start by marking “The Murder of Manny Grimes” as Want to Read:
The Murder of Manny Grimes

The Murder of Manny Grimes

When three young boys stumble into Lieutenant Jim DeLong’s life one night during a winter storm, they claim they've seen a dead body by the swing sets of the Columbia County Elementary School. After he investigates, DeLong sees no evidence, not even a body. But were the boys telling the truth?

With the help of his oldest friend and mentor, former Naval investigator Russ Ca
Kindle Edition
Published September 20th 2016 by ThomasMax Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Murder of Manny Grimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder of Manny Grimes

Angie Dokos
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a pretty good book. It was interesting but a little slow at times. A few errors throughout the book. The main error that really caught my attention was using the wrong reference to a Bible verse. The book says 1 Corinthians 12, but the verse is actually in chapter 13. I’m not sure if it was a mistake or a typo, but I feel it should’ve been caught by an editor or beta reader if not caught by the author. The story does keep you interested and comes together nicely. Overall, I en ...more
K.T. Munson
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Characters

This book is filled with deeply flawed characters. There are no white knights in this dark detective noir. Chock full of moral ambiguity on right and wrong, Lieutenant DeLong does one thing right - solving murders. Calhoun is just as flawed. A womanizer with questionable friendship choices, he at least wants to make everything right by solving murders and fixing past mistakes. These are complex characters.

Plot

I absolutely love to be surprised. In the beginning of this plot I thought t
Lori
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Murder of Manny Grimes by Angela Kay is much more than a murder mystery. It is a story about love, hope and redemption with a paranormal and Christian slant. When three young boys enter the Columbia County Sheriff's Department to report a murder at the Columbia County Elementary School, Lieutenant Jim DeLong's life and those around him will be forever changed. A fifteen-year mystery, the death of Manny Grimes, and a suspected murder/suicide are all tangled together in this thrilling novel. ...more
Mary W. Young
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Mysteries are usually a once in a while thing for me, as I prefer romance. But I loved the writing style, the characters....everything. I thought the author did a wonderful job at using the weather as a character as well. I had a hard time putting this one down. Can't wait for more!!
Michelle
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was, and is meant to be, a very deep, dark, and foreboding thriller that is author Angela Kay's debut novel. I feel it has a Christian undertow due to the moral ambiguities written throughout with references to The Bible. Jim DeLong and his friend, Russ Calhoun, are very strong characters that would be easily unlikable if you were to know them in real-life. The characters are all written as flawed with demons of their own to chase and hide from at various points throughout the mystery. The ...more
Bette Stevens
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
"The Murder of Manny Grimes" is mystery with enough plot twists to keep this reader feverishly turning the pages. Author Angela Kay has done a fine job developing strong characters and a story line with subplots that keep a reader guessing. ~Bette A. Stevens, author of award-winning children’s book AMAZING MATILDA Amazing Matilda (Children's Literature): The Tale of A Monarch Butterfly and other books for children and adults.
Colleen M. Chesebro
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Murder of Manny Grimes is Angela Kay’s début novel and it is a good one! I like strong characters in a novel and both Lieutenant Jim DeLong and former Naval investigator Russ Calhoun fit this bill.

The murder is complicated. After the three boys find the bloody body of Manny Grimes in the snow at their school, they decide to do the right thing and head for the police department to report the crime. When Lt. DeLong investigates the scene, he finds nothing. Either the body has been moved or the
Heather Martin
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.**

The Murder of Manny Grimes is the first book following Lieutenant Jim Delong. This is not strictly a murder mystery book, there’s a lot going on within the pages of this book. There’s relationship drama, cheating drama, religion, murder, mystery, drinking and paranormal. Some I enjoyed, some I did not.

This story is told from multiple points of view, but predominantly fr
books are love
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fascinating. I loved watching DeLong work out the mystery while showing he was human and had flaws. Delong was such a likeable character because of his flaws and struggles.

The mystery was intriguing and engaging. The story of DeLong and his battles was fascinating. It helped keep you in the story so did the way the investigation went.

The murder had many twists and turns that had red herrings. Manny Grimes was killed and no one at first believed the boys when they said they saw him. Only
Dawn
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.
The Murder of Manny Grimes is a detective murder mystery with some twists as well as one of those detectives who is very good at his job but also has difficulty keeping his personal life together. Lieutenant Jim DeLong and his wife have not been in a good place for quite a while.
When three kids find a body and report it to the police, there’s no one there and if there was, all
Becky Baldridge
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Murder of Manny Grimes has everything a good crime thriller should have. The opening chapter pulled me in to the mystery and the characters are so well developed that I felt like I knew them. While the case of Manny Grimes' murder is interesting enough with its twists and turns to keep a reader turning pages, I was equally interested in the life of Jim DeLong and those around him. None of these characters are perfect by any means and DeLong has his share of flaws, but there's something endea ...more
Peggy
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! It's been a little since I have read a book of this magnitude! Lots of twist you don't see coming! Those that will keep you turning the pages as fast as you can. Well thought out and written book!
Miranda Snow
Jan 28, 2017
Loraine Fishman
Feb 28, 2017

• In the Shadow of Lies: A Mystery Novel
  • Amanda in New Mexico: Ghosts in the Wind (Amanda Travels #6)
  • My Fair Lacey & A Perfect Fit
  • The Gift of Love (Finding Love, #9)
  • A Pilgrimage to Death (Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries, #1)
  • The Songs of You and Me
  • Issaura's Claws (The Incarn Saga. #1)
  • For the Ages (Long Live Dead Reckless, #2)
  • Awakening Avery (A Second Chance Romance #3)
  • Love Unexpected (The Saunders Family Saga #1)
  • Jurassic Florida (One Size Eats All #1)
  • The Marriage Pact (Loving an Aldridge, #1)
  • Promise of Love (Knights of Sin MC 6)
  • For the Love of Laura Beth
  • The Sweetest Spark (The Spark Brothers #3)
  • Hothouse Flower (Sound of Silence, #3)
  • The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Impostor
  • Just Three Dates
Equipped with a professional writing degree from Augusta State University, Angela Kay always had the imagination and passion of a writer. She has written many, many short stories in her lifetime, most of which won't ever see the light of day!

During college, her playwright professor had urged her to submit her one-act play to a 2009 playwright contest. To her shock and glory, she was one of 23 acro