Start by marking “Wings to Fly” as Want to Read:
Wings to Fly

Wings to Fly

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Cathy Munro is not like the other girls in her small town. Inquisitive and full of spirit, she sets out on a mission to talk to God in the hope of securing her place in Heaven. So when the miracles she prays for start to happen, she’s sure she’s on the right track.

But then she notices her mother is acting strangely and avoiding her questions.

And why is everyone determined
Kindle Edition
Published November 11th 2016 by Crooked Cat Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wings to Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings to Fly

Claire Wilson
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wings to fly by Emma Mooney centres around Cathy Munro’s childhood as a young tomboy. Her best friend is Thomas, the boy next door and fails to understand how his catholic family want to separate them. After a life changing incident at an Orange walk, Thomas and his family relocate to England leaving Cathy devastated. But when she sees him again several years later, she hopes to capture the feelings of her youth. However, things don’t work out as she hoped they would. I really enjoyed reading th ...more
Layla (Between the Lines)
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2016
I received this eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This in no way alters my opinion of the work.

Wings to Fly is a delightful inquisition into the quirks of growing up, as well as the journey of finding romance, religion, and love in all of the right places (and people).

Just as the synopsis says, Cathy Munro is inquisitive and full of spirit. She wanders around and wonders aloud, and you can't help but wander/wonder with her. I feel like I've watched Cathy gro
January Gray
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I did not finish this book, although I really tried. It is classified as Women's Fiction, but felt more Young Adult. The first five pages were the main character in a tunnel drain, scared, because she needed to be brave and retrieve a ball that was lost during play.
I read on past that, but I simply could not connect with the characters or the story.
Nancy
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya
The story seen through Cathy’s eyes, from young girl to much more mature woman, was an interesting technique to enable the reader to experience what Cathy was going through. At the outset, she’s an innocent caught up in the religious prejudice that pervades her environment. The author skilfully portrays the naïve inquisitiveness Cathy has of the unknown practices that take place in her neighbour’s house. The religious divide that was prevalent during the 1980s in that part of Scotland isn’t a si ...more
Miriam Drori
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By concentrating on three periods in the life of the main character, Cathy, Emma Mooney shows us the different ways in which Cathy copes with the imperfect world that she didn't choose. As that is the same world every one of us has been allocated, it's easy for us - or at least it was for me - to translate Cathy's particular circumstances to ours - mine.

In the primary school period, Cathy believes in the powers of a figurine to listen and help her to bring about the events she thinks she wants.
Shotobhisha
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
I received an e-ARC for this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Cathy Munro is, as the summary says, inquisitive and full of spirit. She is unlike the other girls her age, and also unlike girls I've read in books. Set over a long period of time, this is her story of finding love, faith, and herself. Her transformation through the years is truly beautiful and the theme of change was executed in this book brilliantly. People changing, relationships changing - everything felt very
Louise Wilson
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cathy Munro is an inquisitive young girl. She sets out a mission to talk to God in the hope of securing her place in heaven.

She is friends with the boy next door but Thomas's mother does not allow him to be friends with Cathy as she is Protestant and he is Catholic. Her other best friend is Linda who is popular with the boys.

The book takes us from Cathy being a young girl to Cathy being a young woman and a single mother. Set in the 1980's in Scotland, it tells of friends that have grown apart an
Laurie
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This book brought me back to my childhood years when it was true that no matter where you lived, your parents believed if you were "catholic" you didn't mingle with the Protestants. It's about adolescents who are learning what these new feelings of love and sex will lead to.

I enjoyed reliving these days and remembering how to follow your heart and how hard it was at 15 years of age to do the "right" thing while wanting to feel like you were "cool".

I think it would be a good read for middle schoo
Lizzie Koch
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was the cover that intrigued me to give this one a go and I'm glad I did. It took me a few chapters to engage with the characters but once in, I couldn't put it down as we explore Cathy's life from awkward primary school to teenage angst and beyond.

I loved the 80s theme and it brought back lots of memories from my school days with Smash Hits and posters galore littering the walls as Cathy lusts after Andrew Ridgeley of Wham! in the more lighter moments of this coming of age novel where sex,
Karen Whittard
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Wings to fly

Thank you to NetGalley, author Emma Mooney and publisher crooked cat publishing for letting me be one of the first people to read this book before it gets released in 2017.

This is a coming of age story of Cathy Monro an inquisitive young lady full of lots of spirit. Always looking for answers to her question. I really liked Cathy I found her really easy to relate to and like.

So I'm going to ask you all not to judge a book by its description on the back especially if you don't belie
Veracious Reads
Wings to Fly by Emma Mooney is a coming of age novel about a girl Cathy. Let me clear in the beginning that this book spans across a decade, specifically between 1980-1990 and is completely different to what 'coming of age' novels are these days.

The entire novel circles around the major social divide between Catholics and Protestants. The social gap is relentless, with young and adults acting out of their religious beliefs to prove self-righteousness. This gap and its effects are seen on the chi
Lexi
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Starting this book, the slightly childish setting and language left me wondering if it was aimed at a younger audience than I had understood. I am, however, very glad I persevered as the themes and style quickly mature as the main character, Cathy, grows up.

Cathy's journey from the naive child through to a young teenager, with all the accompanying changes and challenges, is brilliantly portrayed. Her confusion over how to handle friendships and relationships is realistic and the pain of the mist
Annette Jordan
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, fiction
A nostalgic coming of age story set in Scotland in the 1980's , this is the story of Cathy, a young girl who is growing up and starting to realise that there are secrets her family have been keeping from her. A developing infatuation with her neighbour sends her on an a path to understand the religious differences she sees in her community, and she becomes infatuated with the Blue Lady , seeing her as a confidante and a source of comfort. As she enters her teenage years, while the Blue Lady is v ...more
Aimie
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, dnf
DNF: I wasn't able to connect with the characters or the story. It just wasn't for me.
grace cleary
Jan 01, 2017
Emilia
Apr 17, 2017
Daniela  (Lost in a Book Blog)
When I started reading this book I thought it was interesting and unique in its own way. There's this girl, who can't understand why she can be friends with the boy next door. His mom says they can't play, they can't talk because she's a protestant girl. He's not allowed to see her even less have her in his room. But the thing is, they like each other they have fun playing together, so why not? She doesn't understand his mother's reasoning. She doesn't really understand religion itself but she's ...more
Delores Gibbons
Feb 27, 2018
Hannah Mills
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very relatable

Growing up in Scotland on "the other side" this really spoke to me. The Catholic/Protestant divide was strong in certain areas of Scotland whilst I was growing up and it's interesting as an adult to read this through the eyes of a child. Many memories came flooding back, particularly highlighting how many children are ignorant to the divide created by society.
Lesley Laing
Jacqueline
Dec 03, 2016
Erika Spight
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was more of a young adult but I do enjoy a good young adult. A very easy read. I got involved with the main characters quickly and couldn't put it down.
Katy
Nov 15, 2016
Emma Mooney is not a football fan and, to her, it doesn't matter which teams win or lose, but she does care about young people and it's this passion that inspired her to write A Beautiful Game.

Emma has completed courses in creative writing at both Glasgow and Edinburgh University and for six years was an editor for Ironstone New Writing.

This is her debut novel and she hopes you enjoy getting to kn
More about Emma Mooney