Start by marking “The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (The Riyria Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter  (The Riyria Chronicles, #4)

The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter

(The Riyria Chronicles #4)

A daughter vanishes. Two rogues are paid a fortune to find her. It isn't enough.

When Gabriel Winter's daughter mysteriously disappears and is presumed dead, the wealthy whiskey baron seeks revenge. Having lived in Colnora during the infamous Year of Fear, he hires the one man he knows can deliver a bloody retribution - the notorious Duster.

Ride with Royce and Hadrian as th
Published October 2nd 2018 by Riyria Entprises LLC (first published December 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter, please sign up.
Michael Hey, thanks for asking. So, first I should say the reason for being quiet on this matter was due to contract negotiations with a particular publisher …moreHey, thanks for asking. So, first I should say the reason for being quiet on this matter was due to contract negotiations with a particular publisher for this book. Had it gone through, there would be no need for a Kickstarter, and I didn't want to run one and then get a publisher and have to deal with refunding money. Ultimately, that publisher wanted more rights then I was willing to give up, so the deal didn't go through.

Now, on to your question. The intention is to have a hardcover release...and yes a Kickstarter will be needed to fund the printing of hardcovers. I plan on launching the Kichstarter on October 1 and run it for 3 weeks. I've already paid (out of my own pocket) for cover design, and two separate copy editors so the book will be just about done when the Kickstarter launches. Also, now that the book is finished I have the page count and am getting printer quotes, this will be necessary for setting the Kickstarter goal. Also, there will be some "early bird" special pricing for the Kickstarter so it'll be important to fund early if you want to get in on that. There is a sign-up form for people to get early notification. Here is the link.. Again, thanks for asking.

UPDATE: The Kickstarter was a huge success. Between it and pre-orders we've raised more than $100,000 from 2,500 people pre-ordering the book. Files are at the printer and we are expecting them to arrive around December 8th. For people who don't want to wait until June 5, 2018 for the books to hit the retail chain, you can copies directly from me.

UPDATE: The Kickstarter is running, and it has funded. So there will be hardcovers. Here is the link to the Kickstarter if you want to join the fun. It ends on October 26th.(less)
Michael Initially, the book will only be available as..

(a) audiobook - all countries
(b) ebook - all countries (directly from the author in the US, and through…more
Initially, the book will only be available as..

(a) audiobook - all countries
(b) ebook - all countries (directly from the author in the US, and through retail chains in other countries)
(c) trade paperback - US & Canada directly from the author, and through retails chains in all other countries
(d) hardcover - directly from the author, and through retail chains starting June 6th in all other countries.

For those outside North America the trade paperback edition WILL be available from local retailers starting in December. It's only in the US market that we are restricting the retail chain for the first six months. Of course after those first six months the books should be available at bookstores everywhere.

Why are we doing it this way? Well it has to do with non-compete clauses and wanting to respect the retail chain for our publisher of the Legends of the First Empire books. Releasing this way also has the added benefit of putting a significant share of the reader's money in the pockets of the author as we cut out various middle men including publisher and retail sites.(less)

Start your review of The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (The Riyria Chronicles, #4)
Michael
Sep 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Those who know me, know that I don't review my own books, but I do use this space to provide updates. So here goes!

Update: 11/29/19 -- I hope everyone who celebrates such things had a good holiday. I'm pleased to announce that this story (in the audiobook format) is now on sale for just $7 as part of Audible.com's Black Friday sale. But you have to hurry, the sale ends Dec 3 at 12:00 PT).

Update: 07/02/19 -- I answered a few questions from people asking about the trade paperback edition, but I th
TS Chan
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-owned
4.5 stars.

Riyria has a special place in my heart.

While The Stormlight Archive and The Malazan Book of the Fallen fulfill my love for epic fantasy, Riyria (both Chronicles and Revelations) satisfies a different need. The sense of wonder that I obtain from reading Riyria, which is more of a classical fantasy, feels more intimate and cozy, if I can even describe it as such. Every time I pick up a book about my favourite duo, Hadrian and Royce, it is akin to coming home to meet old friends.

The Dis
Phee
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was fantastic!
The 10th novel featuring our amazing duo Royce and Hadrian, the rouges for hire known as Riyria. I must say that this is one of my favourites. The story was full of mystery and suspicion. The side characters were colourful and unique. But most importantly, I felt like I learned so much during this one. Not only about the world and the magic of its races, but I learned so much more about Royce and Hadrian.

In the Revelations series, both of our main characters are well establis
❄️Nani❄️
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
My oh my!

RTC once I’m back

Samir
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Step aside Holmes and Watson! There are new detectives in town!

As the title of the book suggests, this is a mystery novel, so if you enjoy your fantasy mixed with lot of intrigue and suspense, you’re in for a treat because The Disappearance of Winter’s Daughter brings the best from both worlds.

If this is your first encounter with Riyria, you can read this book without any prior knowledge of the world and the characters. However, I’m going to repeat something I said in one of my previous reviews
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love my boys so much. Well, I don’t like Royce’s dog issues but other than that, I love these two. I hope we get more books about them. This is a series I want to go on forever. I actually like these books more than Mr. Sullivan’s newest books 😉

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

The Crown Tower 3.5*
The Rose and the Thorn 5*
The Death of Dulgath 4*
The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter 4.25*

So needless to say I've read all of the available books of this world and this book stands proudly among the rest. I often find it hard to review books this far into a series/world without giving away too much.

Let's just say if you've read Ryeria you'll love t
Kaitlin
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the newest book in the Riyria world and it once more follows Hadrian and Royce, the notorious thieves-for-hire who go by the name of Riyria. They're fairly well-established by this point, and each is notorious in certain parts of the world (if you've read the other Riyria Chronicles and Revelations books that you'll no doubt know why...)

This story is a self-contained one, so you can certainly start here if you're new to the Riyria world. In this instalment we're following H & R as they a
C.P. Cabaniss
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
"I have a friend and I think about killing him all the time."

"Oh, so you admit it now. We're friends?"

"I never said anything about you. Don't be so presumptuous."

Really, what is there to say that I haven't already highlighted in my reviews of the previous nine Riyria books I've reviewed on goodreads? Not a lot, aside from the fact that these stories never get old. You would think they might lose momentum, but they don't.

This is the fourth installment in the Riyria Chronicles, which is a pre
Chris
I was given a beta-version ecopy of this book in exchange for honest, thorough feedback. Note that this is not the final version of the novel and might change significantly before it is published.

But here we are again. The 4th Chronicle, and 10th overall Riyria book does not disappoint. I can't say what happens, other than that it rocks.

If you're a fan of Hadrian and Royce, you will want to read this ASAP.

If you aren't a fan, why not? These books should be consumed immediately.

It's been a few
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

4.5 Stars.
"I have a friend and I think about killing him all the time."
"Oh, so you admit it now. We're friends?"
"I never said anything about you. Don't be so presumptuous."

Haydrian and Royce have one of my favorite Bromances in literature.  They fight and banter and are genuinely hilarious together. Even though both come from bloody and brutal pasts, one has opted to see life for all it could be and the other remai
Liam Degnan
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The more I read of Riyria, and the more I read of Michael Sullivan, the more I love these books. There's that comfortable feeling you get when talking to old friends - a feeling that is reinforced by the long history you have with them. And somehow, that's exactly how I feel when I pick up one of these books. I am rarely floored, but there is a level of familiarity that I have with these books that always makes me smile, and keeps me coming back for more time and time again.

Please give these bo
Krista Hansen
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Chasing fantasies was a thin thread to justify life, and yet how many wonders had been wrought by people who did exactly that-those who believed in crazy dreams."

Wow, I really enjoyed this one! This is the best of the Riyria Chronicles books yet. I've complained before about the Chronicles series being too mundane, but Sullivan hit the sweet spot this time. He's infused more action and mystery into this novel, making for an enjoyable ride.

Royce and Hadrian are lovable as always. Their banter s
Tim Hayes
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Too short. Great to have the thieves back again but want more.
Tammie
Riyria's job appears easy: discover what happened to the missing duchess and, if she lives, bring her home . . . if not, punish those responsible. But nothing is simple in the crowded, narrow, mist-filled streets of Rochelle, where more than one ancient legend lurks.

This was such a fun read. The story line and the mystery surrounding the city of Rochelle was good and Genny, the duchess was such a likable character. I was rooting for her the whole time and hoping she would get rescued and that
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/12/23/...

As much as I’m enjoying Michael J. Sullivan’s other series The Legends of the Lost Empire right now, I have to say, nothing quite beats the feeling of coming back to good old Hadrian and Royce. The Riyria Revelations may have concluded years ago, but I swear I will never ever stop loving this awesome duo, and one of the best things the author did for his fans was to continue their legend in a series of standalone prequel
Skylar Phelps
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who’s my all time favorite fantasy bromance? For two years it’s been a toss up between Wax & Wayne and Royce & Hadrian. Royce & Hadrian just took the lead :)

4.5 Stars!
Rob
Executive Summary: This book ended pretty strong after a bit of a slow start. Another fun Riyria story.

Audiobook: Tim Gerard Reynolds once again his usual excellent job. He is the voice of Royce and Hadrian to me. I was really happy that I could get the audiobook as part of the kickstarter, because for me it's the ONLY way to enjoy Riyria books.

I should note there appeared to be a few edits, that made for some noticeable changes in the quality of the audiobook. It's hard to describe exactly. The
Jenna Kathleen
As always, it was great to be back with Riyria. This is the fourth book in the prequel series of Riyria so I can't say too much without giving away elements of the series, but Hadrian and Royce are as hilarious as ever in this book.

Evelyn Hemsworth was the real scene-stealer in this book and every time she was even mentioned, I couldn't help but smile. I love the way MJS writes characters; everyone - heroes, villains, big roles, small roles - has a very distinct personality, even after all the b
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
[extra star for me being a fan of the series]

"It has been this way for centuries," the girl said.
"Yes, it has, but spring is coming. Trust me. Spring is coming."

The city of Rochelle in the south of Elan is getting ready to celebrate the end of winter and to choose a new king (after the previous holder of the title and his whole family were killed during a sea voyage). Yet for many of its inhabitants, Rochelle is a place of despair, a place of rampant persecution and of hatred of the 'lesser' r
Claudia
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming as the others; it’s always a delight to read the adventures and, on top, the prattle of my favorite couple:
“Is this your way of saying you care about me?”
Royce continued his Evelyn Hemsworth impersonation by displaying an I-can’t-believe-you-really-exist expression. “This is my way of saying you’re an idiot, and the next time you do something that stupid, I’ll let them kill you.”
Hadrian smiled. “You really like me, don’t you?”
“Shut up.”
“I feel bad now,” Hadrian said. “I didn’t get yo
Avery (Book Deviant)
Sep 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
GIVE IT TO ME *GRABBY HANDS*

Edit 12/29/16: IT HAS A TITLE!!!!!!!! (Also, Michael Sullivan mentioned beta readers??? How does one become a beta reader o.o)

Also why are people already rating a book that hasn't even been written yet?? He's only just started writing it and there's already one-star ratings? I really do not like this feature of goodreads....
SarahBeth
I was privileged to be a beta reader for this. It's probably a 4.5 at this point with just a few niggly bits that need to be cleaned up. Michael is a master of the witty dialogue and twisty plot bits. I found myself wishing this was already in print so I could share all the good parts with family and friends. So many, many great lines.

Hadrian really shines in this volume of the Chronicles. He gets some of the best page time and managed to make me laugh more than once with some of the things he
Kaora
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are my guilty pleasure. Every time I get to revisit my old friends Royce and Hadrian I get so happy.
Maja Ingrid
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, the-faves
This was the most fun I've had for a long time reading a book! My only regret is finishing the book because I want MOOOOOOOOOOORE Royce and Hadrian adventures. It was so great being back with them, I've missed them so much and my love for my precious Royce grows deeper and deeper.

(also Hadrian is Royce's unicorn and this added like 5 years to my life)

FanFiAddict
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First off, I want to thank Michael Sullivan for giving me the opportunity to gamma read The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (Riyria Chronicles, #4). This is the first full-length novel by Sullivan that I have had the chance to read, having listened to The Jester and Professional Integrity on Audible, and I can safely say that the rest of his novels have progressed up my TBR.

Sullivan states that TDoWD was written, and can be read as, a stand-alone novel in the Riyria Chronicles and I can atte
Will
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In my pre-review notes—which I seriously want to become like, actually important or interesting in 2018 (the reviews, not the notes)—I have to note a couple things regarding Winter’s Daughter.

1. This is one of my favorite books ever. Yes, EVER. I realize I’m about ready to read Oathbringer, which is the third installment in a series that may just be my favorite series ever. Winter’s Daughter totally stacks up with the first two, pound for pound, despite being less than half the length of either
Wayne
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

It's a Riyria book so there's really no question that it's going to be 5 Stars.

The world building is exquisite as always and seems understated at times but then manages to pop out so vividly you inhale in awe of the writing. The way this is done is just like playing a video game (AC Odyssey at the moment for those playing at home) You are wandering through the scenery enjoying the area you are in and then you come over a rise and get absolutely dazzled by the vista below. In my younger ye
Phil Burns
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having finished reading everything Riyria over a year ago (but currently loving the Legends series), it was a pleasure to re-enter the world in this time-period and get reacquainted with Royce and Hadrian! And boy, did this book deliver! After gratefully being able to participate in supporting one of my favorite authors by participating in the Kickstarter for this book, I was able to get access to the e-book before the hard-copy was available. After finishing up another series I was in the middl ...more
Steffan
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid addition to the Riyria Chronicles.
3.5/5 stars

• The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)
  • Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
  • Skyward (Skyward, #1)
  • Blackguards: Tales of Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • House of Assassins (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #2)
  • Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)
  • The Methuselah Treatment

The last book in the Legends of the First Empire will be released May 5th (ebook and audio) and hardcovers will come off the press on May 26th. You can find links for pre-ordering here. NOTE: ebooks available now from our website.

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Washington Pos

The Riyria Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1)
  • The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2)
  • The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3)
  • Drumindor (The Riyria Chronicles, #5)