Start by marking “The Leopard King (Ars Numina, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Leopard King (Ars Numina, #1)

The Leopard King

(Ars Numina #1)

Proud. Imperious. Impassioned.

Until three years ago, those words applied to Dominic Asher, the leader of Ash Valley. His family has ruled the feline branch of the Animari for hundreds of years, guiding the pride through perilous times. Unspeakable loss drove him into seclusion, a feral beast nobody can tame. Now he’s wrecked, a leopard king in exile, and he wants nothing m
ebook
Published September 28th 2016 by Ann Aguirre

Sh3llraiser (grumpybookgrrrl)
So, I was scared to read this after my beloved Sirantha Jax was ruined. But, I decided to give the author another chance. This is nothing like that series. It's a paranormal fantasy with heavy romance elements. I was actually expecting more romance.

The relationship is unconventional, which I really liked. They were both not virgins. Their "mating" was of convenience at first. The hero had a mate who died and the heroine was in love with someone who wouldn't choose her because she hadn't shifted
JAIME
Oct 23, 2016 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF 48%

I can't believe this is the same human that created Sirantha Jax.

This is the second Ann Aguirre novel I have attempted since finishing the Grimspace series, and the second I have DNF'd becuase, terrible.

I don't understand, it really makes no sense. HOOOOOOOW?!

This one begins with Pru, a latent shifter, being sent into the mountains to bring back the pack's AWOL leader, Dominic. Now, Dom is AWOL since his mate, and Pru's best friend was murdered 3 years previous.

Pru is in the mountains
RJ
This was way out of my comfort zone but I gave it a shot because I loved Ann Aguirre's Enclave series. But I'm glad I read it! It had me hooked from the beginning to the end.

So this was out of my comfort zone bc it had a few things I absolutely despise. The H mourning the loss of his first mate/love/wife. He exiled himself for 3 years and was just a mess drinking day and night. To top it off the h was bestfriends with his ex. Then it had a stupid love triangle, or love square? The h also had an
namericanwordcat
This is a great start to a new paranormal series. The action is pretty intense and I really liked the leads.

The heroine is everything I adore. She is fierce, flawed, and practical.

The hero is coming out of a very dark place but his love, respect, and like of the heroine endear him to me.

It is a sexy book with lots of action. Can't wait to read more in the series.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
The first book in Aguirre’s newest PNR series-Ars Numina- introduces us to a world of danger, intrigue, and an emotional second chance romance as a young woman risks it all to save her people from destruction. Fantastic world building and exceptional characterization left me engaged from page one. I can’t wait for book 2-The Demon Prince.

I do hope book 2 divulges a little deeper into the history of this world, giving us insight into how the different species came into existence, how and if they
Melindeeloo
Review to come but ... I liked Aguirre's new self pubbed paranormal romance series starter. I liked the leads and the fact that they both have a history together as friends and that the obstacles to their HEA include impending war for their people and past loves both living and dead. I liked that in moving the h on from her living past love involves some anguish for a future leading man and that Aguirre doesn't vilify him to smooth the path to the leads' HEA.

There is a fair amount of story to Le
BJ
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it
Great story. H & h are long term friends, H's mate is killed and h in love with shifter who won't mate her because she is latent. H grieves for 3 years, h is sent by lover, to risk her life to get him to return. Love the h, she is so good, hurt by pack, but kind and true. He is growly and mean, and when they face a challenge, it forces her to shift. They return mated and their world and pack will not be he same again. Love this book.
Nanou
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Une nouvelle série dont je lirais définitivement les tomes suivants, l'auteur en prévoit 6 au total, et on a croisé tous les héros dans ce tome (et forcément certains j'ai hâte de les lire xD)

Même si ce livre n'est pas parfait, il y a des choses qui auraient pu être mieux expliquée, je l'ai bien aimé. C'est surtout l'histoire entre Pru et Dominic que l'auteur maitrise très bien : ils ont du bagage tous les deux, leurs forces et leurs faiblesses, et ils avancent ensemble en affrontant leurs probl
When Dom's mate was murdered his grief sent him into a tail spin, unable to cope with his loss he walked away from the rest of his pride and has been living in seclusion for the last 3 years. Pru was Darlena's best friend and was also devastated by her death but she has been sent to bring Dom home to lead important peace talks with the other races to help prevent all out war. The pride need Dom and Pru will do whatever it takes to convince him to come back to them no matter what it costs her.

The
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I'm rating this as a first book in a series and whether it does its job of introducing me to a new world and characters, making me wish to continue with the series. It passed.
I won't bother with nitpicks, though.

What I liked is that the relationship is between old friends. The hero had lost his wife who was heroine's best friend. I appreciate the fact that the said wife was a wonderful person judging by those rare glimpses into their past. Pru, the heroine, also had relationship with someone, bu
Chelsea
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to do backstories without bogging down the story. Somehow Ann Aguirre aces this. The depth of the character development and their progressive arcs as a result make THE LEOPARD KING engrossing.

Add in some epic fights and some dirty romance...and now it's on my "rec to everyone" list.
Kelly
Holy WOW. This book was good. From the fantastic world building to the first tentative steps in the relationship Pru and Dom embark on to save their pride it blew me away. Then things got really crazy and it got EVEN BETTER.

Dom and Pru are so broken in their own ways. Pru hides her pain a lot better than Dom does, but it's there. Ultimately, she pushed through it and forced herself to keep forging forward, where Dom let his grief consume him. The fact they both have past relationships they have
Jessica
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
tw: self-harm and suicidal thoughts

Wasn't expecting this to be such a tear-jerker. At first the story came across like an old skool romance in which the self-sacrificing heroine engages in all the emotional labor of the relationship, but fortunately the hero started down the get-over-yourself path pretty early. Fun worldbuilding and well-developed secondary characters made this a great read. Very much looking forward to the next in the series.
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
🎀 I decided I wanted to read this & the MacHalos decided to follow me. Some of them at least ♥
And when I say some I mean it was me (though I wouldn't bet money or food on that), Moony & Lorii 🎀

This is how you do it! Goddess this was GREAT!

Some context that is actually irrelevant and that nobody asked for:

I had this in my list for a while and at some point in January I got it in my head that I wanted to read it asap. I honestly didn't remember who the author was and I vaguely remembered
SheLove2Read
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Linda
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann Aguirre leaves her usual UF and SF for PNR. The story starts out very promising. Dom, the leopard king, has been in self-imposed exile for three years, mourning his dead wife and trying hard to die in his remote cabin. Pru, a latent shifter unable to shift, former best friend of Dom's dead wife, is sent to retrieve Dom and convince him to return to the pack during a politically treacherous time. Their mating starts out in an almost accidental fashion, forged mostly for political reasons. The ...more
Loriidae
This book had great potential and had moments where it promised to be so much more. I felt at times that I was reading an abridged version – a Readers Digest Condensed Book, where all the main points are covered but you continually have the feeling that the important details are missing.

The world building was pretty much non-existent and where it was it came off as very forced. There was recital of a child's history lesson at about 60%. This to some extent explained the relationships of the five
Tina
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a very subdued three stars, bordering on 2.5 stars

I expected way more from this book. Or maybe I was just expecting something a little different? The romance was probably the strongest part of it. The world building weirdly (for this author), was very lacking. I guess I expected more paranormal/Urban Fantasy but got something that felt like the PNR elements were an afterthought.

I thought the community/pack of the main characters felt very under-developed. You really don't get a sense of
Timitra
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Leopard King

I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait to get my hands on the second book in the series. I cannot wait to see what happens next.
Rhonda Hasty
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed it a lot. I will definitely read the next in this series.
Holly
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Leopard King is the first book in Ann Aguirre's Ars Numina series. Ahh, the angst! The first few chapters of this book were Intense (with a capital I). It lightened up some after that, but overall this was a pretty dark read. I really enjoyed the way the romance and the story arc progressed.

Dominic Asher was the leader of the Ash Valley shifters until his wife was murdered. For the past three years he's been hiding away in a mountain retreat, slowing wasting away. When Pru, his dead wife's b
Umaiya ✨Insignificant September✨

Did I like this?

It's no secret, dead exes are not my thing so I usually just steer clear. But the blurb. The blurb just pulled me right in like a black hole and wouldn't let go.
As far as that drama goes, well almost right in the beginning the author throws it right in your (and Dom's) face that, Cats don't mate for life.
So did the dead ex have significance? Definitely.
But I personally didn't think she overshadowed our h, Pru. I thought it acted out much of how it would in real life granted maybe
Sunny
3.5 stars. I like Ann Aguirre's dark, edgy books and this one fits right in. One major difference? She has amped up the sex level. Lordy! Great world building, fast-paced, this story keeps me turning the pages. However, I'm not overly fond of love triangles and this book only hints at one, but still, I find it inhibited my enjoyment of the book. Surely, this plot point will also come back to haunt the characters.
Ana Rînceanu
This was an engrossing, fast paced, action packed read. As far as the characters and their love story go, I really liked them despite their actions sometimes being a little forced. The world-building is very interesting and I hope it gets more fleshed out as the series continues. This is the first shifter book I've genuinely enjoyed.
Kathleen (QueenKatieMae)
I chose this novel because I loved Aguire's YA fantasy series, Enclave. My teenage son loved Enclave. So when I saw she had a new fantasy series, for adults this time, I clicked it right away.

Now, I have gone on record to say I do not, as a rule, read romance novels. If a novel includes romance, that is survivable and sometimes is a nice addition to a story. I completely was unaware The Leopard King is not only a romance, it is a paranormal romance AND contains many, many highly erotic, nay, sof
Kay Camden
Oh, this book! A tormented hero, nurtured back to life by the heroine’s quiet strength. It’s done so well it’s like a burn inside you as you read, as the plot unfolds to become so much more. Not that you need any more, but that’s what this book gives you. A powerful love story and so much more.

Ann Aguirre writes emotion with such striking simplicity, such depth and power. Her prose is magic. Every line sings. Nobody does romantic torment better than her. Nobody. And riding above it is an intrica
BookPauper
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
There's a lot to like about this one. Which is weird because there are tropes in here I'm not usually a fan of. The hero's mate is dead and he has been near feral for the past 3 years. The heroine has been in love with another man for most of her life, so there's a sorta kinda love triangle going on too.

The dead true love thing is not a fav for me because I always end up comparing the new person to the old person. And I hate when a love triangle is solved by one of the men/women doing something
She-Wolf Reads
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm giving this two stars because I liked the premise - two friends, both have pasts with other people that are hard to get over. But the dialogue tended towards the corny and the worldbuilding was lightweight. I don't think I'll continue with this series. The sex is on the steamier side in case you are the fade to black kind of romance reader.
Carol (bookish_notes)
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
It becomes very evident this book is adult romance, but there's a lot of political alliances being talked about and war looming over this story. I'm not big on shape-shifter stories, but this was really well done. The last shifter book I read, that involved something other than werewolves, was Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. This book is definitely for an older audience, but readers who loved that book will love The Leopard King as well.

The story starts off with Dom. His wife, Dalena, has bee
Treena
Jul 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Stopped reading at 35%

The cover gets 5 stars from me because it's so hot and cool. But I didn't really like any of the characters and as such, I couldn't get into the story.

Pru, the h, has been in love with the H's best friend Slay for over 10yrs. Dom, the H, was mated to Pru's best friend who died. Then in order to bring back Dom from his self-imposed exile, Pru fulfills her duties/orders for the benefit of the pride and she and Dom agree to be mates. Then "feelings" as a result of mating deve
Ann Aguirre is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling author with a degree in English Literature; before she began writing full time, she was a clown, a clerk, a voice actress, and a savior of stray kittens, not necessarily in that order. She grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now she lives in sunny Mexico with her husband, children, and various pets. She likes all kinds ...more

Ars Numina (4 books)
  • The Demon Prince (Ars Numina, #2)
  • The Wolf Lord (Ars Numina, #3)
  • The Shadow Warrior (Ars Numina #4)