Start by marking “Darkness Within” as Want to Read:
Darkness Within

Darkness Within

The moment it happens, everything in me changes.

Imagine somebody was able to fit inside of your body. Their arms are the same length as yours. You’re both the same height. Everything is exactly the same. Now imagine that person not being a person at all. That thing inside of you is a shadow. Darkness. A silhouette of you, only living on the inside of your body. It doesn’t
Published November 28th 2016 (first published November 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Within

warhawke
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark lover
Genre: Dark Erotic Thriller
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Male
Rating:

Every single day Donovan James battled with the darkness that threatened to consume him. Days of him being helpless long gone. It's time for him to have his vengeance against those who wronged him.

Analeigh (Leigh) wasn't looking for a relationship. But Donovan intrigued her with his mysterious persona. She was determined to peel into his past but risked digging too deep where she shouldn't.

“What I allow you to see an
Natalie The Biblioholic
After only reading one book from this author before (War), I wasn't sure what to expect. All I knew was that I enjoyed her writing so much that I had to give her another try. No Regrets! Darkness Within was a twisted story that kept me on edge right to the end. I loved how it was phrased as a romance when it was most definitely NOT romantic. It lulled me into a false sense of security and warmth, rooting for the unlikely couple, surprising me with my gullibility and my assumption that this story ...more
Fathima
I felt like it ended just when it was beginning .. really liked some of the twists that I did not see coming . Just wished that we had more of how the book ended .
Eye Candy Bookstore
It’s been a while since I’ve had the chance to sit down and read a book from start to finish without interruption, new baby in the house and all, but once I started Darkness Within, I could not put it down. Now, I do like my books a little on the darker side and with this one, Isabel nailed it right on the head. It was just the right amount of darkness to go along with some hot, sinful, sex and lots of mysterious twists and turns.

If you don’t know, I have been a huge fan of Isabel Lucero right
Laura Lee
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was super excited to hear that Isabel Lucero was writing a dark thriller!! I dove into this book on release day.
Donovan is a man who is seeking revenge on any and all who turned his life into darkness. Growing up in unfavorable foster homes where anything and everything bad that can happen, happened to him. Now as an adult, he is going after all who did him wrong.
Never feeling comfortable enough to have friends or a girl friend, Donovan has found friendship in a coworker Nick. The only frien
Kia Bunby
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book. I do love a good dark book and this didn't disappoint. A story that gets you thinking, although I did have a good notion for who was doing what! that being said, it didn't put me off. This also had a good ending.
Lindsay Thompson-Sublett
Man...Isabel NEVER disappoints and once again, she has nailed this story. I think what amazes me the most is she has proven she can write different kinds of romance. I highly recommend ANY books by her. With that said, onto the review of the book.

This book is on the darker side but not so dark that you question yourself as a human because you are reading something so morbid and enjoying it. It was dark in the form that someone has been through so much pain and suffering that darkness is their on
Lindsey King
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angst 4

Tears 0

Storyline 5

Value 5

Panty Schorching 4.5

Overall Rating 5

Awwwwwww hell! I'm seriously setting here wondering what the fuck I just read. It was without a doubt hot in true Isabel fashion. Twisted? Oh hell yes. Dark? Yep. Delicious? Mmmhmm. All of that dark twisted goodness couldn't keep me away from this book. Holy hell it was amazing! Isabel I want to live in your mind...  it's my kind of fucked up. And you live where it's warm... BONUS!

Okay...  back to this book. Hot damn! The twist
1-Click Addict Support Group
When I read the blurb for this novel, I just HAD to read it. I wasn't sure what I was in store for but I knew that Isabel Lucero would blow my mind. Boy was this novel amazing. It was dark, gritty, violent and sexy as hell. It wasn't a hearts and flowers type of novel. There is romance yes, but it isn't a prevalent theme throughout the story. The novel predominantly deals with the heartbreaking and disturbing past of Donovan James and the modern day "darkness" and pain that resides in him as a r ...more
Kizzy
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! That's all I can say after reading this book.

When I found out that Isabel was writing this type of book, I was so excited to see what she would do. Let me tell you, she did NOT disappoint! I haven't read a lot of dark books, but from the first chapter, I was hooked.

Donovan...oh my! He is so dark and twisted, yet sexy as hell at the same time :) We find out why he is the way he is and what causes that darkness within him. You do not want to get on his bad side, that's for sure. He meets A
Jan
The monster and I are friends....

He's let's me live my life as Donovan James for many years, being ok with only coming to the surface from time to time however I enjoy the time he gets to play.

Darkness within is a dark read with twist and turns told in Donovan's pov, he's a serial killer with a purpose but his list keeps growing.

Donovan has an abused childhood, and a list he intends to complete.

Darkness Within has its hot moments but it's not a romance like I normally read it focuses more on
Nadia Debowska-Stephens (Obsessed by Books)
"I'm no longer concerned with keeping the darkness trapped in a cage that hides deep within my soul. I am the darkness. It's just a flip of the switch. Lights out."

Nature or nurture, are we the result of our genetics or our upbringing? Donovan James doesn't really know where he comes from but he knows the monster that lives within his skin was born from the suffering he has endured. Passed from one bad situation to a worse one until he managed to break free, he hides the monster under his everyd
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ the Romance Bibiliophile ♡

Darkness Within by Isabel Lucero was quite different from what I expected it to be when I read the Blurb. I guess Darkness can be interpreted in different ways and somehow my mind was set on a another way to interpret it.

So I am not really sure what to think... I liked the writing style of this author but I was never sure if it was intentional that the male lead felt so detached from what he was doing. It never felt like revenge but more like cold calculation and considering the backgrounds and
Rachel
~Darkness. A silhouette of you, only living on the inside. It doesn't have a conscience. It doesn't have a heart.

Oh my goodness...I've always loved Isabel Lucero's writing, but this...this dark and dangerous and oh so sexy Darkness Within was fantastic!
Donovan James is a man most of us would love to meet in a dark alleyway..tall, tatted, sexy...and then once we could see into his eyes, you'd see the flat, humorless orbs and wonder just how dangerous he is. How long can his mask last...
~We all ha
Julia ⏃  ✦ :The Romance Rebels: ⏃ ✦
Darkness Within by Isabel Lucero is dark, twisted, and hot with a capital T! This is not a love story, but rather of vengeance and retribution.

Donovan James is tall, dark, and sexy. He is a dangerous man, one you don't want on your bad side! His past has haunt him, the beast inside him wants blood for what he had to go through as a child. And he will have it!

What he doesn't expect is meeting this girl that brings him to his knees.

I really enjoyed this book. Huge twists I did not see coming. I
Tracy
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! At every turn you're hit with a holy crap moment! It hurts my heart to think of Donovan as a child and everything he went through. His revenge is justified and well deserved to those who hurt him. It proves that there are so many that can't be trusted. He meets Analeigh and tries to actually have a relationship. But things go horribly wrong and he's left no choice to deliver his actions against those that have wronged him. Definitely a great read that will keep you wondering until the very ...more
Kaycee
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW...Isabel...WOW!!! This is the first book that I have read by Isabel Lucero and she did not disappoint in any way, shape or form. This story has everything that I was looking for to keep me wanting more. It had suspense, drama, a dark side but not to dark, and a hot male lead!! I want more of Donovan!! I really hope there is a second book in the future so we can see what happens to Donovan. Great job Isabel!! I would highly recommend this book to everyone!!
Maureen Nicholson
4 Stars

Don't go into reading this thinking that there's any kind of romance or love story. This is told entirely from Donovan's POV and what a dark ride it was. To be in the mind of a person seeking vengeance through murder of all that participated in creating a horrific childhood for him, this was gritty and dark with twists that will keep you completely engrossed in the story. Hats off to Ms. Lucero for another awesome read!
Amy Davies
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
WOW!!!!

This is the first book I have read by this author and it won't be the last.
This book was deep, dark and intense. You are gripped from the beginning. The story never let's you go. I loved the twists and turns in Donovan's journey. The deep dark feeling he keeps locked up, unless he is doing what he does best. Sex and murder.
Maria Angie Mendoza
Dark, intense, and devilishly hot! I was sucked right in by this action packed, thrilling roller coaster ride.
I loved the premise of the story, the unexpected twists and turns and the main character Donovan.
His demons and his past make him who he is and what he does makes you affirm the saying "Don't get mad, get even".

Adeline Devol
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donovan is not your typical hero! He has alot of Darkness in him. That being said you cant help but feel for him! I loved how this book sucked me in from the first paragraph and did not let me go till the very end. Fans of dark romances will love this one! Totally a winner for me
* A review copy was provided by the author for the Blog Tour *

~ 5 Messed Up Stars ~

I am giving this book 5 stars because I absolutely loved it, but I am not so sure that I should. Given the subject matter. This is a dark and gritty story, that is graphic but not to the point of making the readers squeamish, but definitely gets it’s point across.

If dark reads aren’t your thing, then I would highly suggest passing this book over. Now even though I said this book is dark, and it is, it’s not as
Linda Vermuyten
The darkness Within follows Donovan, who due to traumas from his past suffers from an uncontrollable darkness that he unleashes in order to seek revenge. Told soley from Donovan's POV, It is a dark read that strays away from the expected of a dark romance - I wouldn't particularly classify it as a romance at all.

I found myself feeling detached from the story for at least half the book, but I guess that can be expected when the character claims to lack emotions and empathy and would therefore fee
Denise Van plew
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time in reading this author for me. It was the storyline that drew me with the appeal being it seemed a bit different than your average character bad boy. As soon as I opened the pages and started on this journey into this one I knew this was going to be like not many I have read before. Since I do read paranormal and the like I do encounter darkness in novels but this one right away is another level. The intensity is not skimped in here with the rawness will cause you jaw to d ...more
Ann Walker
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say wow… I loved this book!!! I thought that it was extremely well written and the story had so many twists to it which I absolutely love in a book. I couldn’t predict the storyline at all which created angst in many parts, again something I love. I just wanted to be locked away in a room and to not be disturbed until I had finished reading the book. I don’t normally read books that are on the darker side but this book had me hooked from the very first page and even though Donovan (the ...more
Helen Simpson
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A HIGH INTENSE BOOK THAT KEEPS YOU ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT. A DARKNESS WITHIN WAS A DIFFERENT READ THAN AM USED TO AND I LOVED IT. THE CONSTANT LITTLE TWISTS AND CHANGES SLOW AND FAST PACED STORYLINE. LOVED THE ENDING AND ESPECIALLY WHO HE MEETS UPS WITH CAN'T WAIT TO START THE NEXT LIST WITH THEM BOTH.
Pam
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 dark, twisty stars!
Karen Atkinson
This was my first book by this author and I loved it. I could not put it down and will definitely be reading her other books.
Tena
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway - Darkness Within by Isabel Lucero was hot & heavy, dark & yummy!
Michelle Trzecinski
I jumped on Isabel’s bandwagon after signing of up for the blog tour of her previous release, Think Again. After reading her disclaimer about this being darker than her previous material, I eagerly signed my happy-ass up! I’m so thankful I did because I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book! This thriller delivered quite the ride; with bouts of mystery, romance, and suspense incorporated at the right moments.

Darkness Within is written from our main character’s POV. On the outs

• Used
  • Lead Me Home (Fight for Me, #3)
  • Anthony (Lucian & Lia Book 7)
  • Saint (Mercy, #2)
  • Broken
  • Nightshade (Redemption, #3)
  • Unleashed: An Ogg's Point Novel
  • Such Dark Things
  • Transparent (Luminous, #2)
  • Craving Midnight (The Men of Crestview #3)
  • If I Seem Dangerous
  • Grit (Dirty, #6)
  • Captivated by Him
  • See Through Me (Lose My Senses, #1)
  • Reprieve
  • The Prisoner (The Replacement, #1.5)
  • Learning to Forgive (Learning, #3)
  • Irons (Norfolk, #1C)
Isabel Lucero is a bestselling author, finding joy in giving readers books for every mood.

Born in a small town in New Mexico, Isabel was lucky enough to escape and travel the world thanks to her husband's career in the Air Force. Her and her husband have three kids and two dogs together, and currently reside in Delaware. When Isabel isn't on mommy duty or writing her next book, she can be found r