Start by marking “Catch A Falling Star” as Want to Read:
Catch A Falling Star

Catch A Falling Star

In this collection, Hidalgo returns to the writing of the realistic short story while remaining true to the style of the travel essays, which some critics believe to be her most inspired work.
Published 1999 by Anvil Publishing

Start your review of Catch A Falling Star
K.D. Absolutely
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: Jzhunagev
They say that childhood memories are really meant to guide us during our adulthood. That they can help predict our behaviors as adult. If these are true, then I am not surprised that the author of this book is one of the most respected writers and literature professors in the country. She is Dr. Cristina Pantoja Hidalgo.

I first met Dr. Hidalgo during the interview of Miguel Syjuco, author of "Ilustrado" in the University of Santo Tomas a couple of years ago. She is currently the Director of the
Tina
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Original post at One More Page

I used to believe that writing short stories was easier than writing a novel, mainly because of its length. I mean, short stories are just short. You don't need to put in so many characters, you don't need to have complex plot lines, or chapters. But as I wrote, I realized that a short story is equally hard. In a novel, I can afford to ramble, I can afford to insert as many characters as I want, put in all kinds of random devices just to make something happen in the
Krizia Anna
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's not really a novel but sort of a collection of short stories revolving a central character. It has no sequence and does not have a complete set of story elements. There's no resolution at the end that makes it quite BITIN. But I did like the stories of Patricia. I really loved "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" story. Overall, the all the stories felt very real as if it really did happen. I can FEEL each story as if all of them happened to me. Patricia is just so "relatable" and lovable. ...more
Deanne Dumo
What is unique about this anthology is that the short stories are cohesive and blends well with each other (like a novel) to form a complete character of Patriciang Payatot, the kid heroine narrating her anecdotes from Grade 2 to senior high school. I instantly liked Cristina Pantoja Hidalgo's simple writing style, thru the quiet voice of a mature girl narrating with an honest childlike recollection.

It is easy for me to identify myself with the introverted Patriciang Payatot. Her anecdotes were
Bomdom
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was easy to relate to because was made by a Filipino author about Patriciang Payatot growing up through a woman's perspective. Some stories may be pure fictional but it was close to reality that made me think that the stories were true. I like how I can relate to the paper dolls and wanting to have friends and others. It was a good read, I was not bored and this was the first book I finished reading inside a store which was Powerbooks:) ...more
Sabrina
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I feel a strong sense of melancholy partly because it makes me think of how easy it was back when I was still a kid and also because I see myself in Patricia in so many ways.
I read this in fourth grade, I loved it..especially the story about the magic glasses and piko. Reading it again makes me remember my grade school days.
Crishell
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this during my college years while waiting for my next class. This book was my escape from Plato, Thucydides, Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche and so on. I vaguely remember any of my class lectures, but I do remember how good this book was. It relieved me off my stress.
Allessandra
Awww, this book is so good, I am happy I turned out to love it. I was terribly afraid that I might not like this because the previous book I read and finished (Kids These Days), I didn't like at all, and the other book I started but not yet finished (Salingkit), I also didn't like (which was why I put it down for a while). So, thank God I liked this one.

I think the primary thing that I loved about this is the use of nostalgic tone. Usually, when a book employs a nostalgic tone, it becomes too me
 Dina Angeli
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read "The Woman in the Apple-green Dress" when I was in college, which was years ago, but I still can't forget how that story made me feel. It's like I was there in the reception with the characters in the story, and I was haunted by what I read. Now, reading it after "How I Spent My Summer Vacation," the story becomes even more haunting. I know that the only connection between the two stories is Patricia, but the progression from one story to another is so natural. It's as if Tristan's ...more
Leanne
Oct 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: filipiniana
This is evocative of middle-class childhood nostalgia. I did enjoy the simplicity and tenderness of the stories, particularly "The Woman in the Apple-green Dress." It was an easy and delightful read for me, as a little girl like Patriciang Payatot who grew up sheltered and educated in Catholic schools all throughout her life. However, as much as the stories made me remember my childhood, the collection as a whole didn't deeply move me, or offer new revelations. ...more
Marigold Cruz
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
theo
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tita Alicia's life is everything I dreamed for myself, honestly. ...more
alekxandra
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Leslie Lipa
First, it is not a novel, but an anthology of short stories about a girl, Patriciang Payatot, which makes me love it even more. It is hard to put the book down. I think the only reason why it took me a long time to finish was because I had a whole lot of errands to finish during the last few weeks of summer and I had no choice but to stop reading for a while.

Beautiful book with beautiful insights on how our grandmothers lived during their time.
Michael Nelmida
It is a reminiscent of her childhood memories. The book is not a novel but a compilation of short stories.Which complements each other.

-SPOILER ALERT-

In the story of The Woman in the Apple-green Dress.

"Angie fed Bobby a spoonful of cake.And Bobby tried to do the same for his bride, but his hand must have been shaking, for he dropped the spoon, and it fell with a clatter to the floor."

Is this a plain coincidence about the strange girl in a Apple-green Dress ?
Gizelle
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You know what they say about singling out that certain book that first interested one to read? In my case, this is that special book. I read it during one of those times when my primary school teacher was absent and I just had to crawl out of class to get to the somewhere quiet, ergo, the library. This Filipino literary fiction still tops my book list.
odelia (odeng)
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
i wont make a lengthy and detailed review for this, btw.

i liked it. it's more of a collection of stories instead of an actual novel. patricia was realistic as all the characters were.

good. it was good.
kat
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is practically my childhood in a book.

My favorite story is "The Woman in the Apple-Green Dress."
Judy Grace Legaspi
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of short stories about the childhood of Patriciang Payatot/how she traversed the path of being a child to an adolescent.

Made me nostalgic about my own childhood.

Aj Candelaria
Reinah Louise
rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2018

• The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • Noli Me Tángere (Touch Me Not) (Noli Me Tángere, #1)
  • Project 17
  • Letters From Crispin
  • Instructions on How to Disappear
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 2 (The Girl from the Other Side, #2)
  • Collected Stories & Tales
  • Naermyth (Naermyth, #1)
  • Ang mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan
  • Ayeshah's Secret Vol. 1 (Ayeshah's Secret, #1)
  • Ayeshah's Secret Vol. 2 (Ayeshah's Secret, #2)
  • An Eternity of Eclipse (Chapters 1-5)
  • Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return (Persepolis, #2)
  • Wounded Little Gods
  • The Woman in the Moonlight
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Grass
  • The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
Cristina has been writing for Philippine newspapers at the young age of fifteen and is now an award-winning author.