Start by marking “At Home in the Universe: the Search for Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,095 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The best treatment I have yet encountered about how order emerges naturally -- and possibly even necessarily -- out of chaos. Profoundly important, and considerably more informed than better-known pop-science treatments of chaos theory. Very highly recommended.
Published by Viking (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about At Home in the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Home in the Universe

Manny
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People searching for the deep secrets of the universe

I look around the topography of the Geneva Botanical Garden's alpine section, a miniature mountain complete with grass, flowers, rocks and even tiny rivers, and pause, awe-stricken, to consider the marvel it represents. The DNA of species developed over 3.45 billion years has somehow coalesced into a form that is both a small ecosystem in its own right and a model of something larger. It contains information on two levels, which are different and yet somehow the same. Can we explain all of this
David
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the type of book I like best; the author, Stuart Kauffman, describes his own research into a new field called "complexity theory". Kauffman builds simulations of lattice networks, and explores their characteristics. He shows how the simulations are analogous to chemicals combining, and may shed light on the origin of life. He claims that the simulations show that the origin of life may not have been an improbable accident, but instead may have been almost inevitable. Auto-catalytic react ...more
Barnaby Thieme
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
How is it possible in an entropic universe, in which natural systems progress inexorably toward disorder, that life should continually move in the opposite direction?

History may well remember the science of complexity and self-organization as a greater revolution than quantum mechanics and relativity theory, and Stuart Kauffman is one of its most important voices.

This book is a readable presentation of the ideas Kauffman explored in much greater detail in "The Origins of Order", a magnificent
Igor
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Rarely do I gain such insight from a book, but Kauffman was able to tie together all my interests in biology, economics, anthropology, into a single unified theory of spontaneous order/self-organization.

Although the concept were world-view changing, the context, outside of some beautiful prose, is dull and teeth clenching dry/complex at times... at many times. The book itself was recommended to me by an MIT graduate student in Complex Systems Science, straight from his reading list, I believe.
Olivierco
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, in-english
The book would have gained much clarity to be written in a classical scientific literature style. It should have been then an easy read as the concepts and maths involved in At Home with the Universe are not too complex.

The ideas are interesting but some shortcuts didn't convince me, especially when a whole theory is supposed to be proved just because a mathematical model derived from it seems to be in adequation with it on a peculiar point.
For instance, p 109:
"Thus our prediction: a human with
Gendou
Aug 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even for a popular science book, it's pretty terrible because there is so much wrong with the "science", which is mostly buried beneath mountains of jargon. Also, rhetorical arguments and hyperbolic, bogus claims pervade the meandering prose drenched in soft language and philosophy. The thesis is not very unclear, and the majority of claims are totally bogus. See my full review for (way more) details: http://thephysicspolice.blogspot.com/...

Cool stuff: evolutionarily stable strategies, the red q
Daniel
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good, though needs to be taken with a grain of salt since its super theoretical. Basically Kauffman is trying to simulate with mathematical models what occurs in evolution. He tries to simulate adaptive mutations and such (in genetic terms) with a mathematical formula/model. Its a nice thought, but doesnt work so well when you simply cannot make a model complex enough to include a reasonable amount of the variables we encounter in everyday life... oh well, still a very provoc ...more
Jesse
As I read this book, it appeared to be a series of anecdotes about how certain chemical systems appear to spontaneously "self-organize", and then some anecdotes about simplistic computer models the author created to simulate the "primordial soup" where life may have begun. None of it was convincing, certainly not enough for his amazing reveal, "Life started on earth just because really complex interconnected systems tend to manifest pseudo-organized behavior!" of which I was completely unconvinc ...more
Cassandra Kay Silva
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Read David's Review. I think he captures the main points about this book that are important. It was an interesting proposal the way the author sets up complexity to reflect mathematical ideas, his proposition of the way of biological creation. I was very interested in his proposals and he was very clear on the work in this area and the basis that it is built on. I can't say that I have any way of checking his hypothesis. Only to say that it does seem quite sound and well put together. That the d ...more
Beejai Richardson
Spontaneous generation makes a comeback.

If you were to sum up this book in one sentence, that would be it. Stuart Kauffman, a specialist in the theory of complexity, asks a very legitimate question. In a world where nature's laws demand we move from order to disorder, why does all life evolve into ever more complex forms. He then attempts to demonstrate three things: 1) his work with autocatalytic reactions demonstrate that chemical combinations for the first generation of life was not some hig
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Michael
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes a hard look at how life on earth came to be. Rather than buy into the idea that somehow life evolved via the "blind watchmaker" scenario (i.e., similar to the argument that an army of monkeys sitting at typewriters would eventually compose a great novel), Stuart Kauffman builds a terrific case that the ingredients essential to life are bound to the rules that govern complex adaptive systems. And the very presence of these rules send a strong signal that "we the living", are "we t ...more
ferrigno
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessante, ripetitivo, retorico, difficile

C'è troppa retorica (l'autore la ritiene, ehm, poesia) e troppa filosofia, per essere un saggio scientifico.

Ci sono molte metafore che spesso rendono il concetto più arduo, anziché svelarlo.

L'idea che fenomeni di auto-organizzazione compartecipino, assiame alla selezione, al modellamento della natura, è intrigante. Però questo saggio non è né pienamente divulgativo, né ha la concisione e l'efficacia analitica di un saggio rivolto agli esperti.

Decine d
Hadrian
This is an incredibly beautiful and fascinating book.

Similarities between biological and technological processes, auto-catalytic sets as a means for explaining complexity - founding a new subset of the theory of evolution - incredibly interesting ideas. I'm swimming in these beautiful thoughts. I'll have to write a better review later.

It's very complex (har har har) but revolutionary.
Edd Franz
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaufman is one of the leading scientists from the Santa Fe Institute. The man is brilliant, which can make it hard to keep up with his explanations of his investigations into the science of complexity. I had to work hard to understand much of his thinking, but it was worth it. His explanation of self-organizing complex systems is the best I've encountered.
Nick
Jun 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dense read, fascinating concept exploring the fundamental laws of the universe. Postulates a counter-weighted theory to the law of entropy or disorder, but gets pretty tough to read about halfway through as it delves deeply into the math and science backing the theory up. A must-read for biologists, but the average reader will have trouble finishing it... I sure did.
Ann Michael
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaufmann's writing style is a bit cliched and repetitive, but he's very clear. Even I could understand his explanations of peptide molecules, biochemistry, etc. and how these concepts of life-origin theories relate to other systems mathematically and otherwise. And his idea here is definitely worth considering, even revolutionary.
J. D.
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting speculative read. Discusses the order in the universe,
particularly that pertaining to evolution and self-organization, in the general as well as the biological sense. Examines the concepts of order and chaos by means of various models.
Scott Ford
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
This pressed the edges of my science schema, but what an interesting book! In response to the law of thermo dynamics (e.g. things fall apart), Kauffman explores the topic of self-organization (e.g. things come together). Really fascinating.
Ami Iida
The author is a leading expert of complex systems.
This book brings you a great thinking.

The process of biological evolution is a must-read.
Mark
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing exploration of the science of emergence, this is a challenging read which I've been digesting in small pieces and return to from time to time. Math comprehension helps a lot!
Dylan Bochman
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, Why I picked Bio as my major
Patrick
Poorly written and confused; a scientist's attempt to write about meaning without the warmth or depth of a Gould.
Pramble
All popular scientific works have to address the level of the reader. Do you write formulae or want to avoid scaring the reader ? Do you assume that we know about chemical equilibria or thermodynamics ? For me, Kauffman's level was mostly appropriate.

I found the start of the book plausible and well argued. This is probably because the author has explained concepts like auto-catalytic sets in other contexts. After about three chapters, the work seems to peter out. There are repetitions, ideas are
Vish Wam
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever felt courageous enough to define conscioisness or life? Ever hapenned to think how societies form and collapse? Have you felt the need to bring order and organization to your own life and thinking?
Wait a minute. Aren't all these themselves paradoxes? 2nd Law of thermodynamics states that the Universe as a whole tends to be disordered. From whereth come the order? How did and how does organization and order emerge? What emerges from such ordered systems? Is there a common pattern that unite
Elena
Kauffman is a skilled writer and really glories in his mystic metaphors- as well he probably should, considering the scope of his topic. Complexity theory is pretty awesome and he lays out the scientific detail and metaphysical implications simply and readably. Topics include- autocatalysis (and the holistic emergence of life), spontaneous emergence of order in Boolean systems, and subcritical and supracritical diversity in systems and its application to evolution. I'm not sure how much of it is ...more
Nick Gogerty
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaufman is simple brilliant. I had read this years ago and am glad to have read it again. The posited thesis of an expected "us" due to emerging complexity in form is compellingly put forward. Kaufman leaves out the hinted post "US" but shows his brilliant knowledge of complexity, biology and physics. He is also a very gifted writer.
Miles Hitchcock
uh... I'mn really interested in this area but I couldn't finish this... Kaufman has great things to say but tries to be more of a writer and not enough of a scientist - flowery, overwritten passages and tangents - he doesnt have that science-writer's ability to boil maths and science ideas down to simple explanations... o well...
Chad Tronetti
Interesting but unconvincing. Here we have some compelling evidence of Boolean logic creating auto-catalytic sets and ultimately Order-for-Free. It's pretty cool. It also doesn't do much to explain the things Kauffman likes to think it explains. Add one more impotent just-so story to psuedo-scientific mythological accounts of the origins of life.
Christy
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Decided not to be a volunteer content provider for Amazon anymore. Follow me to LibraryThing, where this review now lives:

User name: CSRodgers.

• Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Theory of Networks
  • The Essence of Chaos
  • Complexity: Life at the Edge of Chaos
  • The End of Certainty
  • The Computational Beauty of Nature - Computer Explorations of Fractals, Chaos, Complex Systems & Adaption (Paper) (Bradford Books)
  • The Self Made Tapestry: Pattern Formation in Nature
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
  • Complex Adaptive Systems: An Introduction to Computational Models of Social Life
  • Diversity and Complexity
  • Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos
  • The Evolution of Cooperation
  • Mind and Nature
  • The Web of Life: A New Scientific Understanding of Living Systems
  • Six Degrees: The Science of a Connected Age
Stuart Alan Kauffman (28 September 1939) is an American theoretical biologist and complex systems researcher concerning the origin of life on Earth. He is best known for arguing that the complexity of biological systems and organisms might result as much from self-organization and far-from-equilibrium dynamics as from Darwinian natural selection, as well as for applying models of Boolean networks ...more
More about Stuart A. Kauffman...

“Pick up a pinecone and count the spiral rows of scales. You may find eight spirals winding up to the left and 13 spirals winding up to the right, or 13 left and 21 right spirals, or other pairs of numbers. The striking fact is that these pairs of numbers are adjacent numbers in the famous Fibonacci series: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21... Here, each term is the sum of the previous two terms. The phenomenon is well known and called phyllotaxis. Many are the efforts of biologists to understand why pinecones, sunflowers, and many other plants exhibit this remarkable pattern. Organisms do the strangest things, but all these odd things need not reflect selection or historical accident. Some of the best efforts to understand phyllotaxis appeal to a form of self-organization. Paul Green, at Stanford, has argued persuasively that the Fibonacci series is just what one would expects as the simplest self-repeating pattern that can be generated by the particular growth processes in the growing tips of the tissues that form sunflowers, pinecones, and so forth. Like a snowflake and its sixfold symmetry, the pinecone and its phyllotaxis may be part of order for free” 32 likes
“The past three centuries of science have been predominantly reductionist, attempting to break complex systems into simple parts, and those parts, in turn, into simpler parts. The reductionist program has been spectacularly successful, and will continue to be so. But it has often left a vacuum: How do we use the information gleaned about the parts to build up a theory of the whole? The deep difficulty here lies in the fact that the complex whole may exhibit properties that are not readily explained by understanding the parts. The complex whole, in a completely nonmystical sense, can often exhibit collective properties, “emergent” features that are lawful in their own right. This” 1 likes