Start by marking “Yellow Locust (Yellow Locust, #1)” as Want to Read:
Yellow Locust (Yellow Locust, #1)

Yellow Locust

(Yellow Locust #1)

Selena Flood is a fighter of preternatural talent. But not even her quick fists and nimble feet could save her parents from the forces of New Canaan, the most ruthless and powerful of the despotic kingdoms populating America-that-was.

Forced to flee the tyrannical state with her younger brother Simon in tow, Selena is now the last chance for peace in a continent on the verg
Trade Paperback, 305 pages
Published May 8th 2018 by Month9Books

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Locust, please sign up.
Month9Books PR No, there is a sequel coming out in March 2019!

Lauren Stoolfire
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free eARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Selena and her brother have to escape tyrannical New Canaan. They have to make sure that the information on data stick that got her parents killed makes it to the Republic of California, the only place left that stands for peace and freedom. The two siblings are the last hope for their mostly ruined continent before it's entirely too late. They've got thousands of miles on the road ahead of them through the Middle Wastes
Kelsey
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
***I received an eBook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review***

Yellow Locust is definitely not the normal book I would pick up. I was pleasantly surprised that it kept my attention and was enjoyable. The writing is fantastic! The flow of the book is easy and the character development is nice. I felt like at times characters were brought it and focused on a lot, for no reason though.

This book is chemical warfare meets Fight Club plus the Civil War. Besides that, I really get Hunger
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lter, dystopia
Yellow Locust is an entertaining read taking place in the dystopian setting of America split into several small republics and city states fighting for control and fertile land after the biological weapon "Yellow Locust" has destroyed most regions' supplies and grounds. The book follows the journey of the two Flood siblings, Selena and Simon Flood, who are on the run from their extremist home state New Canaan after having obtained a data stick containing New Canaan's plans to conquer the free Rep ...more
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yellow Locust by Justin Joschko is a far future dystopia where famine and war have decimated the North American continent. Selena and Simon Flood live in the tyrannical country of New Canaan. Following the fall of the tiny, prosperous territory of Niagara, New Canaan sets sights on the Republic of California, far across the Middle Wastes. When Selena's parents acquire data on a terrifying new weapon they make plans to get it to the Republic, a last bastion of democracy. The elder Floods send the ...more
Jeffrey Hatcher
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the setting of what might be a post - ecological warfare America. Joschko could have taken that a little further - a 'prequel' could improve YL after the fact.

Some highly accomplished writer whose name escapes me has noted that adjectives can be an enemy of good writing. An author should cooperate with the reader, providing the plot and action, while the reader provides the fine details of scenery. Joschko slows the reader down excessively with adjective - laden descriptions of events.
Tammy
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the premise of the story but the flow of the book was a bit slow for me. Serena seemed to have unnatural speed and a gift for fighting but I really don't understand how she got so fast/good. The characters were likable. I just didn't get as involved with them as I would have liked. It was better a little after midway and ended on an opening for the next book. I received an ebook at no charge for which I voluntarily provided an honest review.
Hannah Michaels
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The thing about this is that... it’s a good story. It gets a little grandiose in language throughout, so that could be toned down and maybe smoothed over a bit. It lacks character development and feels rushed and unexplained in some parts, but it’s a good beginning. Excited to see how the author progresses.
Danielle
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF for me
Caroline Palmer
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The book started good, then it got incomprehensible as to who was who and went downhill from there.
Noelgn
Jan 25, 2019
Christine Tibblin
rated it did not like it
Sep 11, 2018
Shannon
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 3 14 Feb 09, 2018 01:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: New Release Date 3 16 Jan 18, 2018 09:21AM
Goodreads Librari...: Edit details 4 18 Jan 04, 2018 07:11PM
Justin Joschko is an author from Niagara Falls, Ontario. His writing has appeared in newspapers and literary journals across Canada. Yellow Locust is his first novel. He currently lives in Ottawa with his wife and two children.

Yellow Locust (2 books)
  • Iron Circle (Yellow Locust, #2)