Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The Labyrinth of Death” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The Labyrinth of Death

Sherlock Holmes: The Labyrinth of Death

(Sherlock Holmes)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
From the New York Times bestelling author of The Age of Odin comes a brand new Sherlock Holmes mystery in which Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson must infiltrate a mysterious cult to save a woman s life.
London, 1895, and a widowed gentleman comes calling at 221B Baker Street. Due to his preoccupation with his grief at losing his wife, Fitzhugh Woolfson's daughter Hannah has
Published June 6th 2017 by Titan Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.
Kenneth Debra, Because some of the authors have written multiple Holmes stories, I would suggest you read by publishing date. Keep in mind this is NOT an…more Debra, Because some of the authors have written multiple Holmes stories, I would suggest you read by publishing date. Keep in mind this is NOT an absolute cast in stone rule. Because of the number of writers who have written for this 'series', it is difficult to find the books and read them in order. Your first priority is just to enjoy the books and stories.kapm.(less)

Stephen Collins
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Letters from a female view point here we see Holmes like Hound only in the shadows taking the view that he often did that females are the week sex.Which was Doyle of course who had that view been typical Doctor in Victorian times who care nothing for women today it would be called MCP but then it was normal.
I am glade that Lovegrove has not as some SH modern books have done change the view so the book is modern.This very Victorian Doyle not twenty first century view of 1895 but the 1895 in Doyl
Rose
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holmes, mysteries
Really more like three and a half stars, but I rounded up because, y'know, it's Lovegrove, and also because that third act was crackerjack.

This is my fifth pastiche by Lovegrove, and it serves to remind me why he's among my favorite of pastiche writers: he writes a bloody good adventure story. There's always a mystery to his Holmes pastiches, don't get me wrong -- but I appreciate that he takes to heart that most of the Conan Doyle stories were given titles that begin with "The Adventure."

The d
Doug Phillips
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I have had the good fortune of reading a few Holmes pastiches, and this one holds its own compared to others. Lovegrove is no stranger to Sherlock, as evidenced by the number of titles he has devoted to the detective and his partner-in-solving-crime, Watson.

As I cruised through the detailed chapters of "Labyrinth", I was impressed by Lovegrove's ability to craft his tales in the style of Sir Arthur. I commend all of today's authors who work to expand the telling of classic Holmes adventures. Th
booksofallkinds
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**RATING 4.5**

I have always enjoyed the tales of Sherlock Holmes and own a couple of different editions written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle but this was my first time picking up one of the adventures written by James Lovegrove, and I am really glad that I did.

In this adventure, Holmes and Watson are on the hunt for a missing woman, Miss Hannah Woolfson, who has vanished into thin air. Her father is distraught and hopes that his daughter has not come to some grisly end. But it is not long before H
Connie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock Holmes's new client is a high court judge whose free spirited daughter, Hannah has gone missing. Holmes and Watson discover that Hannah was herself on the trail of her missing friend Sophie, who was besotted with a young man who recruited her into a group known as the Elysians, a sect run by Sir Philip Buchanan who is obsessed by the Ancient Greeks and hopes for a new order of elite citizens.
Hannah has joined the Elysians to try and find out what happened to Sophie and agrees to be She
TheRavenking
This was my third Holmes-pastiche from James Lovegrove after Gods Of War and The Thinking Machine two books which had several strong individual parts but these did not come together satisfyingly to form a great novel. So, let’s see whether The Labyrinth Of Death is more successful in this regard!

Hannah Woolfson, a young woman of independent spirit and great intelligence has disappeared. The trail leads Holmes and Watson to a bizarre cult-like group obsessed with ancient Greek culture and mytholo
Breakaway Reviewers
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic Sherlock Holmes adventure

In 1895, detective Sherlock Holmes and his faithful companion, Dr Watson, are called upon by a high court judge who needs their help to locate his missing daughter, Hannah. Upon investigating, Holmes quickly discovers that Hannah has in fact left her father by choice, in order to investigate her friend Sophia's recent disappearance. Following her trail leads the detective to a strange Ancient Greece-obsessed cult who call themselves the Elysians, of which Sop
Dale
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Cult obsessed with ancient Greece...

Hannah Woolfson has disappeared. Her father, Sir Osbert Woolfson has come to 221B to hire Holmes to find his missing daughter. It is discovered that she was in close contact with Miss Sophia Tompkins. Miss Tompkins had become involved with a sort of cult involving education and fitness training after the example of ancient Greece.

Upon tracing Miss Tompkins, Holmes discovers Miss Woolfson as a member of the cult of Elysians, under the false name of Shirley Ho
Katharina Stracke
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone (seriously it's that good!)
The Labyrinth of Death just proving once again that any Sherlock Holmes novel is a good novel. I was somewhat worried that the story wouldn't be able to live up to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's standards simply because he's the original author and it would be a difficult quest for anyone to follow in his footsteps. However, the story was as close to the original as it could be while still representing James Lovegrove's style of writing. As you would expect an easy but very enjoyable book that gets yo ...more
Val
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-won
I received this book free from "Good Reads".
Brilliant book, really enjoyed it. I had to read every word, as I could have easily missed important things, if I had skipped bits.
The story is told by Dr Watson and starts by Sir Osbert Woolfson visiting the home of Sherlock Holmes, to report his missing daughter - Miss Hannah Woolfson.
Holmes & Watson find themselves at a large house, near the village of Waterton Parva.
Here they find a group of people calling themselves Elysians, run by Sir Philip
Monica Willyard
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This Sherlock Holmes pastiche is rather well written. I enjoyed reading it very much. There is a lot of background in this book that is true to the period in which Sherlock Holmes lived. The author has taken pains to use dialogue that feels right in most places. Couldn’t escape the feeling that some of the plot was more appropriate in an Indiana Jones movie, but it was still good reading. All in all, I am inclined to read another title by this author in the future.
Nadine
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Mabji
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spannend und unvorhersehbar!
Ich hatte mir unter dem Labyrinth etwas ganz anderes vorgestellt, aber so war es auch nicht schlecht und ich finde persönlich, dass in diesem Buch die Charaktere von Snd Watson besonders gut getroffen wurden.
Janice
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy this series a lot, but this is one of the best. Younger Holmes (and Watson) than many of the recent volumes. Focuses slightly more on Watson than Holmes, but that's not an issue as Lovegrove has always done a very good job of capturing Watson's voice.
Stephanie Matthews
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cracking good adventure, but if you don't like Sherlock Holmes, don't bother. It's definitely one for the fans.
Nancy
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The library has no more
of this series
CURSES!
Jeannette
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting ending for Holmes!
Calvin Daniels
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aa-holmes-have
Not quite a full four, I found the trap solutions tad boring, but overall and enjoyabke read fir my first Yule gift read of 2018.
Cindy Ladensack
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clever premise and plot--if I had any knowledge of Classical Greek culture I think it would have been that much more enjoyable.
Eukaryote
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was good. For some reason, I had a difficult time getting into the story, as evidenced by the long time-frame it took me to read this one, but that may be the fault of having a very busy past month rather than a fault of Lovegrove's story-telling.

The mystery is complicated enough, and Lovegrove is able to capture Doyle's talent in weaving intricate puzzles in front of Holmes for him to solve. Watson is in-character, and Holmes is too. But I felt like Holmes was all brain and Watson was all h
Sue Carroll
Sep 03, 2017
Andy
Sep 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James Lovegrove is the author of several acclaimed novels and books for children.

James was born on Christmas Eve 1965 and, having dabbled in writing at school, first took to it seriously while at university. A short story of his won a college competition. The prize was £15, and it had cost £18 to get the story professionally typed. This taught him a hard but necessary lesson in the harsh economic

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Dr. Moreau