Start by marking “Neighborhood: Hearty Salads and Plant-Based Recipes from Home and Abroad” as Want to Read:
Neighborhood: Hearty Salads and Plant-Based Recipes from Home and Abroad

Neighborhood: Hearty Salads and Plant-Based Recipes from Home and Abroad

Hearty and healthy salad recipes inspired by neighborhoods across the globe.
No matter where you live in the world, it is the daily rituals of food that bind and connect us.
Neighborhood is a must-have collection of show-stopping yet simple vegetable-packed recipes, delivered against a backdrop of charming stories of food, family, and friendship. These delicious main-meal
Paperback
Published June 27th 2017 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about Neighborhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neighborhood

Caitlin Dickerboom
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely cookbook with photos throughout. Flavor combinations are to die for, excited to get started cooking! The ‘hearty’ qualifier isn’t a misnomer, many of the recipes are high carb, high glycemic index.
Hannah
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freekeh with deli vegetables and kale pesto seems like the ultimate way to clean up after a party, and chargrilled eggplant with lentils, rocket, herb tahini and pomegranate is to tempting to resist. Or maybe the eggplant with haloumi, beetroot tzatziki and yoghurt flatbreads...

Forced to choose, I'd say the French chapter is my favourite. The dessert chapter comes a close second - I'm very tempted to try the easy slice recipes, the quick raspberry mousse made entirely in a food processor, and th
Shipshapeeatworthy
Every once in a while when I want to treat myself I'll buy one and in this case I recently acquired Hetty McKinnon's Neighborhood because I'd heard so many great things and so badly wanted to try it.

Neighborhood (her second cookbook) focuses on taking the schematic version of a salad (think: leafy) and works to change the schema so that salads become something new. More hearty, less leafy. To be honest her salads are so out of the realm of what I'm used to where salads are concerned I had to ke
Ruth
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not quite 5 stars, because these recipes are WORK with sometimes obscure ingredients. But totally worth it, such good flavor.
Critterbee❇
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, netgalley, f
Neighborhood is a 'salad-as-a-meal' recipe book full of delicious-looking salads with a wide array of exciting ingredients in surprising combinations. There are sixty-ish salad recipes, and ideas for using leftover salads that look good enough to be featured meals themselves. A favorite feature in cookbooks of mine, substitution suggestions, are included and can help to tailor a salad towards your/your family's tastes.

This book does feature mainly grains and vegetables, but it does not state th
Julie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Neighborhood recipe book features meal-salads from around the world. The photographs are as mouthwatering as the recipes!

While not a vegetarian cookbook per se, most of the recipes focus on vegetables and grains. I appreciated the addition of suggested possible substitutions that allows cooks to use what is in their pantry or gives license to mix-it-up.

Each geographic section of the book has standout recipes, but I was particularly enamored with the Pho Noodle Salad and the Chimichurri Sala
Leyla Johnson
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully presented book full of wonderful vegetarian food from around the world. The book is separated into continents with flavours and ingredients that are popular within the area. The recipes are easy to follow, very healthy and look very yummy.
And just to add to this book there is a section in the back with healthy desserts - what else could any one else want. A beautiful refreshing and well written book.
Amy Kreydin
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nourish
I definitely needed a refresher course on making delicious salads and this book hit the spot! The collard greens with sweet potatoes, pintos and a paprika-buttermilk dressing was a hug hit in our house. Even the carnivores loved it! Ha. The photography is beautiful and the recipes are concise and easy.
Andrea Harris
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing vegetarian/vegan cookbook using the freshest ingredients
Cook These Books
There are two sorts of people in the world: those who salad and those who do not salad. I am very much down with those salads, as is Hetty McKinnon, this year’s salad boss.

Read our full review here: http://cookthesebooks.com/neighbourho...
Susan Raggiani
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
My husband and I eat salads twice a week. He is fine have lettuce, tomato and cucumber salad topped with a protein. i am the "experimental" one in our family who will try anything once. As my family has always said I look for the strangest this item on the menu and that is what I order. So keep that in mind when I say I didn't see a salad in this cookbook that I wouldn't want to try. At first glance the recipes look long and involved. But you have to remember that these are not your every day or ...more
Yonit
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Couldn't wait for her new book to come out, its just as good as community. Everything is delicious and healthy!
Annaleise
Jul 19, 2018
Janeen K
rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2017
Hetty McKinnon is a home cook who grew up devouring the colours, aromas and flavours of her mother's ebullient Cantonese cooking. Formerly a beauty PR, she is now the one-woman show behind the incredibly successful Arthur Street Kitchen, whipping up flavour-packed salads and sweets in her home kitchen then delivering them by bike to hungry Surry Hills locals. Hetty lives in Sydney with her husband ...more