Start by marking “Dead Spider (A Loon Lake Mystery #17)” as Want to Read:
Dead Spider (A Loon Lake Mystery #17)

Dead Spider

(A Loon Lake Mystery #17)

In the next installment of the Loon Lake Mystery series, Lewellyn Ferris and Doc Osborne must solve a murder that shatters the picturesque Wisconsin lake town community at the height of summer.

Paperback
Published June 2nd 2017 by Tyrus Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Spider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Spider

LORI CASWELL
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Chuck Pfeiffer owns Pfeiffer’s Fishing, Golf, and Shooting Sports and is said to be the richest man in Wisconsin. He is the primary sponsor of the Loon Lake Youth Fishing Tournament. The final judging is underway and some fool is lighting off fireworks. As Doc Osbourne, his daughter and granddaughter are leaving they hear screams and rush back to find a man dead. Doc places a call to Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris, “Lewellyn, the richest man in Wisconsin just took a bullet to th
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Roxann
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
From the cover: On a lovely Sunday afternoon in late June, the annual Loon Lake Youth Fishing Tournament is coming to a close. People are happy, kids are full of ice cream, and teenagers are setting off firecrackers so loud that no one hears the gunshot. But when the crowd thins out, an attractive young wife makes a grisly discovery: A single bullet to the head has killed her much older husband—the richest man in Wisconsin. Meanwhile, as the murder investigation gets underway, Police Chief Lewel ...more
Bobbrunn
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got this book from the library. Glad I did not buy. This series originally featured fishing, lots and lots of fishing. Ray was fun and funny. Lew and Doc made a nice couple. And, there were interesting stories to fill the space between the fishing. This book is none of the above. The only allusion to fishing was the handing out of trophies to some kids that competed in a fishing derby, and to a friend still trying to learn how to cast a fly. Since the next two books are already named and schedul ...more
Kathleen Gray
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read this series before and I suspect I was missing a variety of things but that didn't hamper my enjoyment. Loved the fishing info and the Wisconsin setting, both of which are foreign to me (making this a learning experience as well.) Lew is the sort of law enforcement officer we see a lot in small town mysteries but she's well fleshed out even in this short novel. Doc makes a good sidekick. THanks to Edelweiss for the ARC. If you, like me, haven't read these before, try it for Houston ...more
Karla Martinsen
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
I enjoyed this Look Lake story as well as all the previous, I've read them all to this point, the mystery wasn't as central in this one but it was still a whodunit. I feel Dead Spider was more family at the core and I liked that, you get to know these Loon Lake people and this just made them more "real". I know I can always have a light and enjoyable read with this series and look forward to each new book. During the summer I don't want a book hitting me between the eyes with a cause or teaching ...more
Patricia Ann
I won this book from GoodReads. It's an easy read, kind of like a "cozy" but with fishing as the background theme. Lew (the female police chief) and "Doc" Osborne (retired male dentist) solve crimes while maintaining a romantic interest in each other. In this book, the richest man in Wisconsin is shot at the base of the brain. Many had reason to hate and to kill this man. The plot was a bit predictable and I wondered why the subplot with Doc's granddaughter was included. Nevertheless it was a go ...more
Tess Olson
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways and Gallery Books. Thank you!

This is the first book I have read by this author. This was a very quick read that was predictable. I recognize it is a series and I have missed out on the development of the characters, so I can only review this as a stand alone novel. I found it a very light read, with minimal depth to the mystery. There were at least two side stories going on, which didn't hold my interest. The Wisconsin fishing setting is a clear foun
Joan
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another nasty, rich man dies, this time at a children's fishing festival which he sponsors.

Doc's grand-daughter, 15 year old Beth, is accused of selling drugs. While at the police station she pretends to be tough to impress the girl who is detained in the same room. The girl later introduces Beth to her boyfriend, who hopes to use her to sell at the high school.

One of the things I enjoy about the Loon Lake mysteries is that mainly bad people die and there is always a satisfying ending.
Norma
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Dead Spider is Victoria Houston's latest novel in her Loon Lake mystery series. Her returning characters, Doc, Ray, and Lewellyn are the charming locals. The annual youth fishing tournament is the setting for a murder, a drug sting, a kidnapping, and a robbery. The evidence is gathered and analyzed. The crimes are connected and solved. A quick read and Loon Lake returns to an idyllic summer vacation spot and the fishing capital of the Wisconsin northwoods.
Kathleen
A classic mystery taking place in a Wisconsin lake town rather than an English village. A murder investigated by Lew Ferris and Doc Osborne combines small town characters with large grudges and the contemporary drug plague. The opening fishing contest and love of fly-fishing provide a regional touch. No real surprises.
Mel
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, reviews
Part of the Loon Lake mystery series, this is the first I have read of series or from the author. Enjoyed this as a quick, easy read. Characters were entertaining and kept me engrossed through the book and I enjoyed the ending which was somewhat predictable. I would like to read other books to see what else the author has to offer. I won this book in a goodreads giveaway, thank you!
bfilbeck
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dead Spider by Victoria Houston is a whodunit that holds your interest from cover to cover. The plot has depth and the twists are interesting and relevant.

That said, however, I found the frequent comments about fish and fishing rather annoying after the first dozen or so. For me, they detracted from what could have been an excellent book.
Bridgett Brown
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.
The town is having it's annual kids fishing tournament, When the richest man in town is shot. Dr. Osborne calls Loon Lake Police Chief Lewellyn “Lew” Ferris and reports the murder to her. They start interviewing witness and that's when everyone becomes a suspect. It was ok, Alot of fishing.
John
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Loon Lake Mystery!

I have read all 17 Loon Lake Mysteries and seriously enjoyed every single one of them! Dr Osborn and Lew the police chief are really enjoyable characters to follow. But Ray Pratt is one very funny guy! Looking forward to number 18. Ms Houston, thank you for this numerous and enjoyable series! 😀😀😀
Linda Spyhalski
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2017
Another wonderful Loon Lake Mystery! It is made better by knowing the author and knowing I might run into her when visiting my hometown Rhinelander, Wisconsin. I can hardly wait for the next book Victoria writes!
kc
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this author and was so happy to receive a copy from Goodreads

The characters are wonderfully crafted and the reading the book makes you feel as if you were out on the lake with them. There are enough twists and turns in the plot to keep you thinking about who did it right up to the end.
Ellen
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series by Victoria Houston. The small town vibe, the outdoorsyness, and the characters. I'm excited when each new one comes along. They are typically quick reads, that pack a good punch of action, suspense and a variety of issues.
Linda
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Interesting characters, but aspects of the who "dunit" were just not plausible. To spend so much time and resources viewing a video of a small town with no one recognizing the murderer at a very crowded event seemed unbelievable.
Virginia L. Folsom
Loon lake

Enjoyed this book very much. The story is good,but the characters are e enough better. Can't wait for the next
Rebecca Rodgers
Books are starting to feel very repetitive.
Nancy Hansen
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the 17th title in the Loon Lake Mystery Series. I have read them all!
Kathleen
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A great, if short, visit with Lew and Doc as they work together to solve a murder mystery along with a kidnapping and other happenings. Great mystery!
Annie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read! just like snuggling up on a chilly night
Jodi
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series because it is set in Northern Wisconsin. This was a fun and entertaining who dun it.
Richard Becker
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another top notch Loon Lake murder mystery. I so enjoy these characters, feeling like they are people that I know. The plot is well done and paced nicely.
Kathy
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this book from a contest on Goodreads. It was okay, nothing great, but enjoyable. Being from Wisconsin, it was nice to have a story from my state. A little too much fishing though.
Christine Antosca
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
My review can be found here:
Joyce
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 and 1 / 2 stars

This is the latest in the Loon Lake series of books. However, this is the first one that I have read.

We start our story at the fishing competition in which young people aged ten to sixteen compete to catch the biggest fish in their category. Dr. Paul Osborne’s granddaughter is competing in the muskie competition. It’s a community event and all the locals pitch in with free food and labor. Chuck Pfeiffer, perhaps the richest man in Wisconsin, is one of the most generous and neve
Hotrodsmom
Sep 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)