Start by marking “Is This Working?: The Businesslady's Guide to Getting What You Want from Your Career” as Want to Read:

From the creator of the Dear Businesslady column comes a fresh, proactive book with advice for women entering the workforce as well as those looking to move up the ladder.

Everyone deals with some nonsense early in their career—whether it’s accepting a less-than-ideal position just to get a foot in the door, or having a manager who sleeps with his smartphone under his pillo
Published April 4th 2017 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about Is This Working?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is This Working?

Start your review of Is This Working?: The Businesslady's Guide to Getting What You Want from Your Career
Evie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I've read a lot of career books - most of them are really long while being light on specific, applicable information on getting a job and not making a fool of yourself once you're hired. *This is not that kind of book.* I read this cover-to-cover a month ago when I decided to kick off my job search, but have been going back and re-reading many dog-eared pages when I need a quick reference about phrasing in a cover letter and preparing for an interview. This is a fantastic resource - friendly, to ...more
Lakshmi
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know Courtney from Twitter and she graciously sent me a copy of her book. As someone who has regularly written articles about higher education and careers section, I've read a lot of books geared towards entry-level workers. I've been a fan of The Businesslady's advice column since it first debuted on The Toast and I was thrilled to find that this book has the same realistic, funny tone as the columns.
Jenni
Nov 16, 2018
Rebecca
Aug 22, 2017
Liz De Coster
I like Guerra's writing style, which I knew from her columns, but the book is more geared towards new career folks.
M
Jun 17, 2017
Rebecca
Apr 30, 2017
Pat
Jan 12, 2020
Nicole Dieker
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Give this one to every college grad or early-career person you know. (Disclosure: Courtney Guerra writes for The Billfold and I'm an editor at The Billfold, so... still give it as a grad gift, it's a great book.)
Brenda E Gould
Oct 02, 2017
Lakshmi
May 27, 2017
University of Chicago Magazine
Courtney C. W. Guerra, AB'05, CER'11
Author

From the author: "In today’s ultracompetitive business environment, figuring out your own professional goals is more important than ever. How do you keep your career on track if you’re dealing with a position that’s way outside of your desired field? A manager who expects you to sleep with your smartphone under your pillow? Or a job search that’s yet to yield an actual job? It’s time to ask an expert: Is This Working?

Courtney C. W. Guerra, aka online ad
Karina
Mar 19, 2017
Courtney Guerra
Mar 24, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Melissa
Amyg
Oct 28, 2017

• The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times
  • Emotional First Aid: Practical Strategies for Treating Failure, Rejection, Guilt, and Other Everyday Psychological Injuries
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • Supper Club
  • Good Wives
  • Nothing to See Here
  • The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Astonishing Dialogue Taking Place in Our Bodies Impacts Health, Weight, and Mood
  • Eileen
  • Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Little Women
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • The Great Society Subway: A History of the Washington Metro
Courtney C.W. Guerra has been writing her Dear Businesslady column since 2014, first on The Toast and then on the financial advice site The Billfold.

Starting out with experience in food service, retail, and data entry—plus a joint BA in English and visual arts—she proceeded to build her resume through a series of administrative positions, both corporate and nonprofit.

She’s spent most of her care