Start by marking “The First City (The Dominion Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The First City (The Dominion Trilogy, #3)

The First City (The Dominion Trilogy #3)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  3,757 Ratings  ·  233 Reviews

In the thrilling conclusion to Joe Hart’s Dominion Trilogy, Zoey discovers who she truly is—and who she must become.

Zoey has only ever known a world with few women and a society capable of unimaginable evil. Now she’s about to learn she may be the only hope it has for salvation.

After she and her companions flee a vicious attack, barely escaping with their lives, Zoey fin

Published March 28th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The First City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First City

Candy
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As Zoey is once again faced with lose she is given a video message from the ARC with unbelievable information in it. She doesn't want to believe what she sees in the message but must do what she has to to find out if the information is real. Zoey decides to head to the last known American city Seattle to look for answers. She leaves her friends behind because she doesn't want to be the cause of anymore of them perishing. When she arrives in Seattle she is reunited with Lee but is faced with anot ...more
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: March 24th 2017

“There's always hope, but change is the most difficult thing in the world for human beings to do. There is safety in static. Change is the great disrupter, even when it is for the good.”

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Sandra "Jeanz"
REVIEW
I had been looking forward to reading this book from the moment I finished reading the previous one, The Final Trade. It ended on such a cliff hanger in many ways, and left me asking lots of questions. Such as, Will Zoey find out about her birth parents and her heritage? As well as the possible injuries the characters may have incurred during the fight at the end of the book too.
Having said that whilst I was looking forward to reading this book, knowing it is the last book in this brillian
Jessica Desmond
Slow start, a lot of POVs and Zoey did drive me mad at some points. But overall once it became fast paced, it was a gripping read! (Main reason why I read about 60% of the book last night and didn't finish until 3am..)
Loved every minute of reading this even with the rollercoaster of emotions! So sad the series is over!
Laura Elizabeth Oberg
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Loved it all. I wish I could meet the characters in person! Brought me to tears as well. Well done.
Lily Malone
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Let's be frank.
I bought this book because it was a Kindle special that cropped up because Amazon marketing is amazing, and Amazon knew I'd read Books 1 and 2, and so bingo!! When Book 3 came on special Amazon told me about it.
I was invested enough in Zoey's story that I had to buy Book 3 to see how everything ended, but I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on special. At $1.49, I couldn't go wrong.
So much goes wrong for characters in The Dominion Trilogy. Joe Hart paints such a bleak picture o
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Science Fiction, Dystopia
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

The First City is the third and final installment in author Joe Hart' The Dominion Trilogy. The story begins pretty much right where The Final Trade left off. Zoey has been on one emotional rollercoaster ride after the other since escaping from from a government (NOA) run camp for women. None as emotional as what happened at the end of the last book. Now, Zoey must once again put herself on the road to discovering whethe
Betty
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-arcs
NB: If you haven't read the first two books in this series, please be aware this review will contain spoilers for those books.

In The First City, the third and final book in The Dominion Series, we come to the end of Zoey's story. (view spoiler)
Patricia
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Glad I kept reading. Almost didn't, after the second volume in this trilogy, but the book redeems itself with a very satisfying ending. We meet Zoey's mother, no big surprise, he telegraphed this twist early in the series, and Zoey re-unites with her childhood sweetheart. They make a great team as they battle a new enemy, as well as the remnants of the ARC. Some small niggling annoyances - is Zoey the only one thinking and strategizing? From where does she get her super-strength and endurance? S ...more
Jacki
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review through Wicked Reads.

I couldn't wait for this book to come out and I was not disappointed! Zoey's story continues and we finally get the answers we seek!
Just when I thought things couldn't get more bizarre, they do! I don't like to give away much of the plot in my reviews, but I definitely enjoyed this book. It was full of twist after twist and was definitely had my emotions running high.
Joe Hart's mind has definitely impressed
Vikki Patis
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy is definitely one I'd recommend. The First City, the final installment, is slightly weaker than the previous two books, but it rounds the series off nicely. Worth a read for fans of dystopian fiction, and those strong female characters that not everyone is capable of writing. Fortunately, Hart is capable - more than, in fact.
Melanie Haynes
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I found this book to be quite enjoyable, even if it took me a bit longer to read it on my phone. I love not having to carry a book when I am traveling or waiting at the dr's office but it does take me a bit longer to get through them that way. This book is full of emotion and trials that make it an exciting and emotional read. The best part is how Joe Hart is able to convey so many sides to 1 situation. It really gives you an understanding of what is going through everyone's head during an apoca ...more
Linda K. Melzer
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent trilogy! I couldn't put it down till I finished all three!

Joe Hart is truly a master of the English language. I've read books in different genres that have the same skill and this is certainly at the top of the game. Zoey, Lee, Merrill, Ian and all the rest of the cast of characters have become beloved family. I'd love to see the family go on and and on. I've read many of Hart's books and have to search through to see which ones I have yet to read. I'm definitely not tired of them yet.
Beth Peninger
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hart's final book in the Dominion Trilogy answers questions and provides some conclusions for Zoey and her tribe. It also paves the way for the world beginning to rebound from the Dearth - the supposed plague that wiped out the majority of the female population of the world. Zoey, in an attempt to keep her tribe safe, keeps leaving them behind as she presses forward to try and take down the NOA. They keep finding her, however, because there's not many places she can go. Zoey is finally learning ...more
Martha
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it!

Somewhere in the middle it felt as though the quality of writing dropped a bit, but then it picked up. With that said, it was equally as exciting as the first two. Though, I wish we could've had more time with Zoey's parents, loved following this group through the entire trilogy, and the ending of this final book was raw, realistic, and complete.
Kathryn Holden
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a thrilling conclusion to this series! It was edge of your seat action and suspense and I couldn't put it down once I reached the last 20%. I'm generally pretty stoic, and even these events had my eyes welling up. Fantastic.
elizabeth giesecke
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Rushed ending

I really liked the first 2 books in the trilogy but this one seems like he just wrote some stuff to finish off the series. The first city is not developed at all. I'm still not even sure why they went there just because coordinates were written on the note? Zoeys father and mother surprise was never discussed again. And the most annoying part was when they leave the dog that everyone had bonded with to fend for himself because he had before ian took him in.
Debra Foster
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great trilogy!

Joe Hart is becoming one of my favorite authors. This trilogy rivals the hunger games and would make a great movie.
Mary-Ann Daniel
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

Just like book one and two, this book is so captivating, don't want to put it down until your finish
Chelsea
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series!!!!

These books are full of excitement and emotion. They are some what realistic in that everything isn't rainbows at the end. I love it and hope there are more to come like it
Nicole Quaresma
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so sad it's over, but so happy with how it ended. This has been an extremely adventurous trilogy and I just loved every bit of it. Another amazing book to put on my shelf, next to many other Joe Hart books that I own.
Donna Butler
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!!!!

I don't really know why but I really love apocalyptic stories. The Dominion Trilogy was one of my favorites and The First City was my very favorite of the 3. I loved all of the characters, good or bad and felt like I really got to see into their hearts and souls. Some of them seemed like people I would love to spend time with in real life. Zoey is one of my all time favorite heroines and I will never forget her or these fabulous books! Thanks Joe Hart for giving me so much reading pl
Courtney
This is the third book in the Dominion Trilogy and I have to say that while I absolutely LOVE the concept of the book, I'm not sold on it's execution. At all.

I have had, and still have (after completing the third novel in the trilogy) some difficulty with the writing of the main character in this trilogy. Zoey is headstrong and somehow makes decisions without thinking about anyone else while also being utterly consumed with guilt and caring for other people... which is just illogical. If she ca
Susan Angela Wallace
reviews to follow. fantastic read.
Kath
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in a trilogy and, although there is a bit of a catch-up included in this book, these are really only memory joggers so you really do need to have read books one and two before this if you really want to get the best from it.
So, Zoey is still fighting, still trying to get to the truth of who she is. After another vicious attack that she and her friends barely escape from, she finds out certain things. She has a daughter, as yet unborn and apparently she is key to humanity's
Jess
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first two books in the series so I was lucky enough to win a copy for the third and final book in a Goodreads giveaway. Despite a standard dystopian backdrop, the Dominion Trilogy was engaging due to its characters and their deep emotional bond. Not everyone was likable but each had a strong character arc that came full circle by book 3. Like its predecessor, there was a great amount of conflict, tension and even a few twists I didn't see coming. Although I'm sad to finish the series ...more
Joe Ellwood
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good read

The story was different and kept me intrigued. I liked the action, the sense of family, the love stories, and overall reality of human nature in this situation.
Barb Gunzenhauser
Love this series

I just finished book 3 of the Dominion Trilogy. Great story, characters who come alive. Great read. Will definitely check out more of his work.
Chrissie Pannella
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
interesting twist to an apocalyptic story!

I LOVED this series!! It was very well written and kept pulling you further into the story with many twists and turns!!
Andrea Strickland
"How much is a life worth?"

The First City is the conclusion of the captivating The Dominion Trilogy. The dystopian series follows a young woman, Zoey, during a time in which suddenly, women stop giving birth to female babies. Less than 1% of all babies born are female.

The world hurtles into chaos as scientist and government alike look for answers.

I began the trilogy a couple of weeks ago and literally couldn't put them down. I am very thankful I discovered it after all 3 books were released, bec

The Dominion Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart.” 0 likes
“Good luck in wherever you’re going. And don’t forget that coins are everywhere, and until you pick them up you can only see one side.” 0 likes