Start by marking “What Happens at Midnight” as Want to Read:

What Happens at Midnight

Romantic comedy junkie Natalie lives out those fantasies in real life three New Year's Eves in a row when fate throws her together with the same handsome stranger. A heartbreaking turn of events leaves her swearing off of love, forevers, and the holidays (bah humbug). That is until the mystery man from her past reappears years later. Over a holiday season, Natalie struggle ...more
Published November 8th 2016

To ask other readers questions about What Happens at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happens at Midnight

Start your review of What Happens at Midnight
Debbie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a fun read to finish out the year, with a NYE theme!
Bff Book Blog
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute!
Gabbi Grey
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Over and over again until you get it right (an audio review)

I loved the premise of this book. Natalie is a co-ed, about to graduate with an undergraduate degree in anthropology. She has plans, though – a Master’s degree, PhD, and then a tenure-track teaching-and-research position at a college.

Being dragged out on New Year’s Eve by her best friend Mallory won’t help Natalie achieve those goals, but Mallory is like a force of nature and sometimes it’s just easier to go along.

And, of course, it’s g
Shakera
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
After a bad encounter at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve, Natalie had just about given up… but then Rob came to her rescue. Every year since they meet on New Year’s Eve… until one year they didn’t, due to a misunderstanding.

While I enjoyed the story, I was frustrated with Natalie. She had a backbone, which I appreciated. What frustrated me about her was when she chose to assert the backbone. There were moments when I thought she was too hard on Rob, but not nearly as hard as she should
Bette
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Delightful Story & Listen!🎧 4.5 Enjoyable Stars🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

By: Laura Chapman
Narrated by: Kay Heart

“What Happens at Midnight” is a sweet and enjoyable fun romance. It is well written and well told, Laura Chapman fit a lot of story into her novella. The book captures your attention from the start and holds it there until the end. The storylines and characters are interesting and well developed. I liked that Natalie was smart, strong minded and stayed true to herself. The story t
Patty
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful surprise this novella is. This sweet and funny story is one of second(third..fourth...) chances of Natalie and Rob. Each year, a chance meeting on New Year's Eve finds these two at a bar. Their chemistry is evident, so they decide to meet the following year and see where their lives are at and possibly start their relationship. When one does not show up though, things change for both completely. This story has a lot wrapped up in it in a short amount of time. Laura Chapman has w ...more
Isha Coleman
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Audiobook Review: What Happens at Midnight by Laura Chapman (Author), Kay Heart (Narrator)

What if your heart was stuck on repeat and had to relive the same heartache all over again? Will there ever be the chance to finally get love right? Chapman will most certainly own a piece of any heart with What Happens at Midnight. Natalie is a combination of hopeless romantic and heartbroken dreamer. When fate presents her with the opportunity to get her happy ending, nothing will keep her from taking a c
Lisa Hahn
A story of a girl who is a romantic who is saved by a guy in a bar on New Years Eve. She seems to run into him the next year again. The 3rd year they are set to meet again, however he doesn't show. The beginning of the book up to this part wasn't so bad. But this girl is so cynical. She holding a grudge again this guy when she finds out he is her best friends cousin. I honestly thought the story could have been built up more but it was flat.
The narrator was good at times. The male voices were a
Rhonda
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun entertaining romance

If you are a fan of movies like When Harry lives Sally, An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle Laura Chapman’s What Happens at Midnight belongs on your TBR shelf.
Natalie and Rob make an instant connection, there is a spark of interest that can’t be denied. I thoroughly enjoyed the bumpy journey till their HEA. I thought the narrator Kay Heart did a great job in keeping the narration upbeat.
I was fortunate to receive an audible credit via Audiobook Obsession.

Sent f
Claire
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
You're in New York City, what are the odds of running into the same person three new years eve's in a row? It brings to mind serendipity and yet things do not go to plan.

This is a sweet second chance romance between Natalie and Rob, the chemistry between them is great and I really enjoyed their story.

The narrator did a great job with the character voices and the overall delivery.

I received a free copy of this book from the author and/or narrator and/or publisher and I voluntarily wrote this hone
Jocelyne
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first Laura Chapman's book. This is a short and sweet romantic comedy, that sits around the Holiday period, for a few years. Rob and Natalie's slow burn story is filled with misunderstandings and a lack of communication. The story is written with only Natalie's POV, and I would have liked to have Rob's POV all along the story. I love their happy ending. Overall, this is a fun listen and I enjoyed my listening. Kay Heart has done a great narration, easy to understand. I received this ...more
Tatenisha
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Natalie meets the same man at New Years Eve and on the third year they decide to give love q chance if they should meet up again
Natalie is a romantic and believes her love live should be like the movies she watch. She is stood up on the third year and with the drastic changes in her family, she no longer believe in romance. Years later they meet up and he wants another chance. She must fight what happened in the past along with her feelings now in order to give love another chance.
Ginger
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m am reviewing this book for Audiobook Obsession, thank you Laura Chapman, and Kay Heart the narrator, excellent job.
This novella is a gem.
Boy, Rob, meets girl, Natalie every New Year’s Eve for three years, on the fourth he promised to be there and is a no show, so she thinks.
Time moves on as does Natalie. Till Rob reappears in her life. After all the confusion dies down, some groveling and of course the best part, we have a HEA.
Lynn Zagrod
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this audiobook free for an honest review. This was a great, short romance. I suspected a typical New Year's, Sally and Harry, story. But, it wasn't. The author was creative with this typical story and gave it a twist. Not expecting. The narrator did an excellent job with the characters and the story. Very enjoyable.
Ashley Hedden
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Happens at Midnight by Laura Chapman was a great read. Natalie is a romantic comedy junkie who hasn't met the man for her. For three New Years Eves, she has been living her romantic comedy fantasy with a handsome stranger. That is until he breaks her heart one year. I loved reading Natalie and Rob's story.
Kristina Bowen
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story. I loved that the book fast forwarded to New Years at midnight each chapter. I felt like it ended to quickly but I guess it’s because I wanted more.
Elle Stephens
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A cute short story with fun characters. I enjoyed it.
Mandy Sawyer
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely short audio to kickstart the year. Nice characters. The only thing is I’d like to of seen more from the characters and storyline. But hopefully there will be more from these guys.
Tracy
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable story and a quick read!
Janine
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story takes place over a period of years where the main characters, Natalie and Rob, coincidentally meet at a bar on New Year's Eve. They don’t have contact the rest of the year as they never exchange phone numbers or even last names. Both had goals they were working on and a relationship wasn't part of their plans. One year they decide if they are both single and ready for a relationship on the next New Year’s Eve, they will meet again at the same bar. But Rob doesn't show up and Natalie en ...more
Elle
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
What Happens At Midnight is another adorably written novella by author Laura Chapman who never fails to amaze me with her writing. Although her novels hold a love of cats, they never read the same, each holding there individuality and reading differently. I'm a fan of serendipitous moments and reading a book based off of them made my heart smile the cheesiest smile it could muster up.

Natalie wants to believe in Happily Ever After but life has shown her that it can be unpredictable at best leavi
Jessica Figueroa
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Over the course of a couple years Natalie and Rob keep running into each other in a New Years Eve party. But one year Natalie managed to get her heart broken and its pretty much ruined the holidays for her. Then when they managed to run into each other, they will maybe find out whats between them.

I liked this book it was nicely written and enjoyable enough. Wasn't really into it, it did start of great but I was slowly loosing interests. It was a good book maybe just wasn't for me. It was good e
Karen Hrdlicka
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Natalie and Rob's story. It's a fast paced holiday rom-com that hits all the emotions. Natalie has long been a romantic and when she bumps into Rob every New Year's Eve, their chemistry is immediate. However, life often gets in the way and mixed signals tend to send the couple into a tailspin. Part An Affair to Remember and part Same Time Next year, this sweet story shows that sometimes one just has to give someone more than one chance to get it right. I look forward to read ...more
Mandy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another charming read by Laura Chapman! Natalie wishes her life could be a romantic comedy, but in reality, her chance encounters with a handsome stranger don't quite pan out like it would in her favorite movies. Lovely writing, relatable characters, and a great holiday novella.
Marie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super cute and romantic. Loved Natalie and really related to her. Will definitely be reading more from this author.
Ashley Berry
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, pbs-i-have, quickie, 2016
A very cute Novella. Loved it.
May 25, 2018
Glenna
Dec 17, 2016
Elisabeth Gentry
Nov 21, 2017
Chowbella1
Oct 12, 2019

• The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Half Truths (Secret Society, #1)
  • Foremost (The Lost Princesses, #2)
  • The Cowboy's Twin Surprise: A Fresh-Start Family Romance (Triple Creek Cowboys)
  • The Prairie Princess (The Belles of Wyoming, #22)
  • Because We Loved  (Transformed by Love #1)
  • Season of Hope
  • Crime and Periodicals (Green Valley Library #2)
  • Cherish Her (Military Men of Lexington #2)
  • The One Night Stand
  • Like, Follow, Kill
  • Flawless Foundations (A 425 Madison Novel, #14)
  • The Captain's Lady (Regency House Party: Havencrest #4)
  • Caulk Tease
  • Wham! George & Me
  • Breathe (Love's Complicated #2)
  • Bent (Love's Complicated, #1)
  • All Wrapped Up for the Holidays
Laura Chapman is the author of sweet and sexy romantic comedies, including Playing House, The Marrying Type, the Queen of the League series, and other stories. A native Nebraskan, she loves football, Netflix marathons, and her cats, Jane and Bingley.

News & Interviews