Start by marking “The Reading Group: December” as Want to Read:
The Reading Group: December

The Reading Group: December

(The Reading Group #1)

Meet the Reading Group: six women in the seaside village of Little Sanderton come together every month to share their love of reading. No topic is off-limits: books, family, love and loss . . . and don't forget the glass of red!

Grace knows that the holiday season is going to be different this year. No turkey, no tinsel, no gorgeously wrapped gifts under the tree . . . how
Published December 1st 2016 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about The Reading Group, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reading Group

Melisa
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
A sweet short sorry about friendship. I'll be picking up the full length book to find out what else happens with these reading club friends.
Cheryl
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 star read.

A gorgeous, heartening short story about the power of friendship, especially when times are dark. The author has done a remarkable job in producing characters with such depth and an enticing plot in such a short body of work. This would make an excellent Christmas read.
Dash fan
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, profile
Fantastic short story of friendship

Having previously read the January book, this one came up on Amazon for free and I couldn't resist getting it as the previous books was so fantastic.

Della has kept this book very short but has packed so much in.

This paticular book focuses on the friendship of the reading group when tough times hit Grace one of the group members.

Without giving anything away, she's a very proud lady but having her friends around her she breaks down and reluctantly tells the grou
Gemma
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a short introduction to The reading Group.
I loved the relationship and bond between the 6 friends.
I enjoyed December, and will be adding the full length book to my reading list .
Jules
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
The Reading Group: December is a short festive story about life's struggles and the value of friendship.

This is an ideal quick read with a hot cup of tea and a mince pie.

Currently available free on Amazon Kindle at the time of posting this review.
Katherine Hayward
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet reading-related story for Christmas. I couldn't resist this on Amazon- Christmas and a book club in the same book. Just my type of book to really relax to. It's a great short story.
Rita
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: n-inglaterra
This one came up on Amazon for free.
A short read over a cup of coffee.
A simple story about friendship and how friends are important when times are difficult.

Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Perfect length for mulled wine.

Super short, and quite sweet. It was OK for a freebie, but doesn't give much away about the larger arc of the story, except for the general theme of friendship.

That said, I will definitely read on as I liked the writing style and I'm addicted to serials. It'll be interesting to see which character is focused on next.
Nicola Clough
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a new author for me and will be reading more was a very quick book but well worth reading all about six women who are in a reading group and how Christmas for one of them isn't going to be easy but can the friends help her out. Well worth reading.
Lisa Houston
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice introduction to the reading Group. Though not keen on these little instalments. Why cant the writer just write a book, like normal without a small insert in december. Do we have small stories to look forward to in the future or more?

Just felt we were getting to know Grace and her group of friends when the book was over.
Il confine dei libri
Salve lettrici.
Oggi vi parlo di "Libri, amore e segreti”, la breve novella che apre la serie di “The Reading Group” di Della Parker. Sinceramente, non avendo letto la trama,

non avevo capito che questa serie fosse composta da novelle, invece è proprio così.
Il libro è composto da una novella per ogni mese, e così da un libro per ogni novella, perché ci troviamo davanti a delle lettrici accanite.
Questa novella anticipa la serie e racconta di come, nel mese più bello e freddo dell’anno, Grace, la
Stephanie Wood
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This short story was a great introduction to a new series which I'm looking forward to reading.
Julie
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely short story with a Christmas but not overly Christmas theme. Must admit to a happy tear and look forward to reading January's Reading Group.
Yvonne Morgan
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
new author to me but liked this style of writing ..quick but very enjoyable...
Sedotte Dai Libri
3 stelline e mezzo!

Ciao Sedotte, rieccomi qui per parlarvi di questo Spin-off Natalizio.
Grace è una madre ed una brava moglie, innamorata della vita e pazzamente attratta dai sentimenti umili. Da un po' di tempo si è rinchiusa nel suo guscio, la sua sofferenza è tale da dover decidere di rinunciare all'unico incontro con le sue adorate amiche, un appuntamento libresco in Dicembre.
Un punto d'incontro, una parola, tante chiacchiere, risate e libri, uno sfogo e un voltare le spalle a quel destino c
Misfits farm
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A short read over a coffee. A story of friendships and of how they really count when times are difficult. Enjoyable, however for me not enough substance.
Sophie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, print-books
The Reading Group: December is the perfect introduction to the series. I loved how in just a few pages, the author had me engrossed in the story, caring for a few of the characters already and picking up on some hints of where things will go for some of them in later novellas. Though we only meet the other members of The Reading Group briefly, their friendship and solidarity is evident and although like most book clubs reading wasn’t massively on the agenda, Grace, Serena, Kate, Anne-Marie and J ...more
The Reading's Love Blog
LA RECENSIONE COMPLETA QUI: https://thereadingslove.blogspot.it/2...

description
“Libri, amore e segreti” è una breve novella che apre la serie di “The Reading Group”. Della, in poche pagine, riesce a catturare la completa attenzione del lettore con uno stile pulito e lineare e a creare grande curiosità pagina dopo pagina. Siamo a Dicembre, a poche settimane da Natale. Grace, mamma di tre gemellini, raggiunge le amiche al loro club per l’ultimo incontro prima delle festività e con lei porta un grande peso su
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on:> https://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot...

The Reading Group December, is a little introductory short story into the series, where we get to briefly meet all of the main characters in the reading group. There's Grace, Anne-Marie, Kate, Jojo and Serena. They have decided that each month they are going to be reading one of the classics and December's is A Christmas Carol and what Della so cleverly does is mirror themes from the book with her characters. This month we are foc
Abbie
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: november-2016
In this first instalment we meet Grace an the reading group’s book of the month is A Christmas Carol.

Grace is married with triplet son’s and she is currently going through a difficult time financially and personally as one of her sons has cancer. Like Ebenezer Scrooge, she has no choice but to cancel Christmas this year.

This is the shortest in the series and Della has effectively, in a few pages, created the setting and introduced the characters and the dynamics between them. I couldn’t wait to
Sally Whiteside
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loving friends.

I liked this book from the first page and look forward to reading more of these ladies in the coming new year.
Gloria
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A feel good story about a group of women who meet regularly to discuss books. Part 1 - December is a tale about Grace one of the group members who finds herself in financial difficulties and is about to be evicted from their home before Christmas. In addition one of her young triplet sons is recovering from a rare form of childhood cancer and a recent blood test indicated that there may be further problems.
During a book meeting Grace 'breaks down' and tells her friends about the situation she fi
Jennifer Robb
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like to read feel good stories
Recommended to Jennifer by: Amazon
During a difficult time in life, a husband urges his wife to go to her book group. Though she plans to try to keep a stiff upper lip, their discussion soon has her breaking down and revealing their circumstances to her friends. Her friends swing into action to keep them afloat--at least through the new year.
Timothy Coplin
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2017, shorts
Touching little short story which draws on the classic Dickens tale, A CHRISTMAS CAROL. There is a fair amount of British lingo in this story that had me making use of my integral Kindle dictionary which distracted this il-Brit-erate reader a bit, but by no means detracted from the story. This tale relays an important life lesson about ego, pride, and true friendship.
Nancy
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not for me

My own fault I had not realised that it was a short story - and part of a series
Too many characters for a short story - I was just getting to grips with them and it ended
Tasha
Dec 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Spelling mistakes, grammar errors, awful allegory.
Le cercatrici di libri
La mia opinione
Incuriosita dalla trama di lettrici che si riuniscono una volta al mese per condividere il loro amore per la lettura, mi sono ritrovata a leggere questo breve romanzo ma pieno di significati.
Questo gruppo di donne, non sono solo appassionate di libri, sono anche amiche e si aiutano l'una con l'altra. Come ultima lettura prima dell'evento natalizio, scelgono di leggere “Il canto di Natale” di Mr Charles Dickens, la storia di Scrooge che ho avuto il piacere di leggere tempo fa con m
Silvia Devitofrancesco
Recensione presente nel blog www.ragazzainrosso.wordpress.com
Nel piccolo paesino di Little Sanderton, un gruppo di amiche: Katie, Grace, Jojo, Anne Marie e Serena ha fondato un gruppo di lettura. Ogni mese scelgono il libro che dovranno leggere e commentare durante l’incontro successivo. Tra una lettura e l’altra c’è spazio anche per i problemi e per i consigli. Pur essendo dicembre, per Grace non c’è aria natalizia. Il suo è stato un anno duro e i grandi problemi economici non le consentiranno
Floriana Amoruso
Troppo breve per scrivere una reale recensione, questo racconto credo sia più che altro un apri pista, per i futuri mesi a venire... Infatti, al momento la CE, Newton Compton, ha già pubblicato gennaio e febbraio, quindi sono io a essere leggermente in ritardo. Ma è stata una lettura così veloce che anche le altre riuscirò a recuperarle in breve tempo (lo spero).
Tornando a questa serie, perché è di serie che parliamo, The reading group, è un insieme di rac
Cheserie books-Serena
È solo il primo racconto di questa serie per cui credo sia prematuro esprimere un giudizio vero e proprio. Appunto perché trattandosi di un racconto breve non hai nemmeno il tempo di fermarti a fare qualche considerazione, di capire l'autrice o i personaggi. Ho trovato questa novella un pò troppo sbrigativa. Cioè, va bene che non è un romanzo ma un racconto breve, però così si rischia di non capire niente. Non abbiamo avuto modo di conoscere le amiche. Non abbiamo avuto modo di capire come funzi ...more
  • Evergreen: A Christmas Tale
  • Don't Tell Penny
  • A Goose Creek Christmas (Tales from the Goose Creek B&B #3.5)
  • The Trash Collector
  • Christmas Truce
  • Love and Muddy Puddles (Coco and Charlie Franks #1)
  • Crashing Into Love - Where Personal Tragedies, Faith, & Love Collide
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • Believe in Me (Love in Store, #2)
  • The Gift (Fate with a Helping Hand, #0.5)
  • Emilie's Christmas Love
  • For Mercie's Sake
  • Mistletoe in Maine (Holiday Brides #3)
  • Home Improvement (A Pajaro Bay Short Story)
  • The Red Suit Diaries: A Real-Life Santa on Hopes, Dreams, and Childlike Faith
  • Blame it on Mistletoe (North Pole, Alaska #1)
  • Winter Warmers
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)

The Reading Group (7 books)
  • The Reading Group: January