Start by marking “Convocation (Tremontaine #2.1)” as Want to Read:
Convocation (Tremontaine #2.1)

Convocation

(Tremontaine #2.1)

Swordplay, scandal, and sex—welcome to the world of Tremontaine, a glittering new entry in Ellen Kushner's classic Riverside series.

This is the 1st episode in the second season of Tremontaine, a 13-episode serial from Serial Box Publishing. This episode written by Ellen Kushner.

All eyes are on Duchess Diane Tremontaine at the Convocation, an annual soiree that opens the
ebook
Published October 19th 2016 by Serial Box Publishing (first published October 18th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Convocation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Convocation

Sherwood Smith
Oct 16, 2016 added it
Shelves: fantasy

After the spectacular first season of Tremontaine, now we get season two.

The first episode begins at after summer, with Diane, Duchess Tremontaine, making her usual perfectly timed entrance to the glittering Convocation of the Opening of the Council of Lords.

This provides us with an overview of most of our Riverside cast of characters, and includes the introduction of some promising new ones, most notably the gorgeous ambassador from Chertil, who promises to become one of the main players, and
Althea Ann
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Season 2 of this serial begins!

And... here we go! The setting of this first episode is a party at which all our main characters make an appearance. It's an obvious device to create an excuse to introduce new readers to all of our prime movers (and to remind returning readers who everyone is and where they're at) but it's really done quite well - I didn't find myself bored or annoyed by the reminders at any point.

The scheming duchess Diane is front-and-center here, and it may not be enough for h
Beatriz
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once again, we return to the Hill and receive tantalizing hints that soon we will also be visitng Riverside. Old friends welcome us to this new season of Tremontaine and new ones are introduced. A delightful first epusode for the new season, that leaves me itching for more.

Without doubt, this episode centers on Diane, Duchess Tremontaine. Last season, we saw how she put her husband away, setting herself up as regent in his place (and more, much more). From Riverside and its sequel, we know she w
Donna Maguire
I hadn't read the first series so this was the first book for me that I have read. This one introduces the characters, covers their back stories and set the scene for the episodes ahead. Really looking forward to starting the next book and seeing where the story takes me.
Leseparatist
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, owned
For a chapter focusing on Diane, this was surprisingly meh :(
Elaine White
POV – 3rd person, multi character, often omni-present
Would I read it again – Yes!
Genre – LGBT, Fantasy, Serial, Historical, Coming-of-Age, Queer
Content Warning – mild violence, sexual situations, adultery/cheating, prostitution
Orientations – MM, MF, FF

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

I love the world building of this series, and the talented writers who bring it all together, but I was left heartbroken by the events of Season One and I'm hopeful that Season Two will at least offer some relie
Edward Rathke
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great way to jump back into the world of Tremontaine. Does a good job of reminding us of all the various motivations and complications and relationships without bogging itself down in summary.

Moving forward and developing, already, in interesting ways. Probably won't write reviews for individual episodes going forward, but I'm wholly loving this again.
Just_ann_now
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delicious! All the focus is on Diane: fortune restored, husband out of the way, fine and foxy and looking for action. Rafe and Kaab each made an appearance, too, quite interestingly together (well, not "together", of course, but together) as well as assorted nobles and noble ladies and some hot-diggety-DAMN fine new characters. It was SO.MUCH.FUN. I am getting very excited about my weekly fix now!
Donna Maguire
Christine
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ellen Kushner does not hesitate but dives right in to season 2 with all the political intrigue and careful chess playing of season 1. I love this world!
Theresa
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremontaine Season 2 Episode 1: "Convocation"
by Ellen Kushner,
Convocation is the part of the series that sets up season 2, it gives the background of the story, providing remarkable convolutions of power and prestige. It is the meeting of lords, and traders that will govern the world. Tremontaine is the wife of a lord who is laid low by illness. Her rise to control of the family trust has not been unremarked. She has reestablished the family wealth and has remarkable ability to corner the market
Theresa
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tremontaine Season 2 Episode 1: "Convocation"
by Ellen Kushner,
Jason
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremontaine is back!

Season 2 of Tremontaine opens with a grand party, with all the major players in attendance. If you missed last year's publishing event, you're now faced with a difficult choice: Do you start season 2 right here, or do you go back and read season 1 first? Either way, you're in for a treat!
Dvorah
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A glorious return to the world and drama of Tremontaine. As subtle and dangerous as the duchess herself, beneath the lace of beautiful words.
And that cover art! *swoon*
What will they come up with next?!

Full response, with minimal spoilers, here: https://dvorahsperling.wordpress.com/...
Amy!
I'm actually going to listen to these episodes as they come out!

I enjoyed this first foray back into Tremontaine. I'm looking forward to seeing where the creators take these characters this season.
Jane
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first in season two and I cannot express how lovely it is to be back reading about Tremontaine. This episode features Diane heavily and I have a grudging respect for her. She really is tenacious.

Seeds have been sown, I am looking forward to seeing how season two transpires.
Susan
Nov 02, 2016 added it
I missed this series!
Lisa
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: serials
Full review is here! (ARC) http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/201...
Hattie
theresa may
Oct 20, 2016
Kate O'Hanlon
May 11, 2017
Ellen Kushner weaves together multiple careers as a writer, radio host, teacher, performer and public speaker.

A graduate of Barnard College, she also attended Bryn Mawr College, and grew up in Cleveland, Ohio. She began her career in publishing as a fiction editor in New York City, but left to write her first novel Swordspoint, which has become a cult classic, hailed as the progenitor of the “mann

Tremontaine (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Arrivals (Tremontaine #1.1)
  • The North Side of the Sun (Tremontaine #1.2)
  • Heavenly Bodies (Tremontaine #1.3)
  • A Wake in Riverside (Tremontaine #1.4)
  • The Dagger and the Sword (Tremontaine #1.5)
  • A Fair Hand (Tremontaine #1.6)
  • The Swan Ball (Tremontaine #1.7)
  • A City Without Chocolate (Tremontaine #1.8)
  • Lies in Our Stars (Tremontaine #1.9)
  • Shadowroot (Tremontaine #1.10)