Start by marking “A Life Between Us” as Want to Read:
A Life Between Us

A Life Between Us

Tina's sister Meg died in a childhood accident, but for almost forty years Tina has secretly blamed herself for her twin's death. During a visit to her Uncle Edward and his sister Lucia, who both harbour dark secrets of their own, Tina makes a discovery that forces her to question her memories of the day Meg died.

As Tina finds the courage to face the past, she unravels th
Published March 28th 2017 by Troubador Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about A Life Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life Between Us

Start your review of A Life Between Us
Cat Tutt
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
90% of this book was a 5 star book.

10% of this book was a 2.5 star book.

We will call it a 4 star book. Most of it was really good, but one portion, rather central to the story, was a weak plot point for me. It was possible to just sort of tie that part up in a package and pretend it was an acceptable explanation for the rest of the book, and the rest of the book was very enjoyable and a really good read.

I felt it was very well written, with a well developed main character. The supporting cast wa
Vicki
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
Incest, death of a child, divorce, parental abandonment, psychoses, abortion, adultery. This was a very good book that dealt with very disturbing topics. Tina has spent close to four decades unsuccessfully trying to cope with the loss of her twin sister, Meg. Tina witnessed the accident that took her sister’s life when the girls were only eight years old. She is convinced she is somehow responsible for Meg’s death, and her guilt manifests itself in a personality disorder. Tina carries on convers ...more
Mo
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, it was a wonderful story but…

I had some problems with this book – here are my biggest ones:

• This is a 170 page novel, and the time period goes back and forth a total of 60 times. It has 45 chapters (each heralding a different date) plus 20 letters from the past (inserted into the story at various times). That averages out to a time shift every 3 pages. I think that is just nuts. How in the world are you supposed to establish any type of flow to your reading if the story is constantly b
Annette
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, intelligent novel about why people do the things they do and how even though years separate people's lives the same issues resonate. Precisely written with information and revealations carefully deployed in the story. Intriguing.
Jackie Wadsworth
This kind of book is not my usual thing (hence the shelf tag). I don't tend to enjoy psychological stuff (except maybe exciting murder mysteries) but I'm not keen on looking deeply into people's lives and working out why they tick. Not in real life set ups anyway. Chuck in a few dragons and I'm away...

Anyway, I bought this for my mum for Christmas as I follow the author/publisher on Twitter and she was struggling to pay a bill, so every little helps as they say. My mum loved it! Loved it. She ra
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Life Between Us by Louise Walters has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

"What a brilliant and very complex story."

"A well written book with engaging characters whose darker sides take the reader on a page turning journey."

"Section that stood out for me was… “This was a house that breathed its history; it sighed and whispered of its tragedies, of which there had been two.”"

Pauline Barclay
Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Lynn Mccarthy
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book I do like books that alternate between past and present.
Its a family saga and a love story with dark secrets, betrayal and redemption.
There are 2 main characters Lucia and Tina.Lucia is Tina's aunt and Tina lives in the present day and has secrets about the death of her sister Meg as a child.
A great conclusion to the book I must read this authors other books.

Thank you to the Author Netgalley the Publisher for a chance to read this book.
Betsy Myers
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book via Goodreads First Reads. This story was instantly engrossing and I found myself reading long in to the night a few times. The secrets in this book were shocking. I caught myself talking out loud a few response to something I had just read. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Sandra Danby
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Survivor’s guilt, revenge, memory tricks, childhood friendship and rivalry are at the centre of this family drama. In ‘A Life Between Us’ by Louise Walters, forty-something Tina visits the grave of twin sister Meg each week and holds conversations with her. Tina has buried a secret so deep even her husband doesn’t know it. Only one other person was there when Meg died, the twins’ Aunt Lucia. But this is a complicated family with so many stories of betrayal, flight, lies, secrets and denials that ...more
Maggie
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
They say "the devil is in the detail" and for anyone who grew up in the fifties and sixties this novel is full of those tiny details that hurtle you back in time: Spangles, Sindy dolls, those oh so painful Clackers and the novel Ballet Shoes, to mention just a few of my favourite childhood things. Then there are the subtle clues planted throughout a narrative that twists and turns, building tension and suspense as it goes. This is not a particularly pleasant cast of characters and empathy does n ...more
Sarah Vincent
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A life Between Us

A novel of redemption, this tender story shows how the foolish impulse of a moment can devastate a family for generations to come.
Forty-something Tina is still mourning the twin she lost in childhood. Except she never really lost her, because Meg is still there, talking to her from beyond the grave. Meg was always the feisty one, whereas Tina, nervous and timid still appears to live in Meg’s shadow. Haunted by guilt over a past event, the only thing making her life tolerable is
Leah Moyse
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Life Between Us is an utterly intriguing and compelling story. It is set across varying decades including the present day and it tells the story of one family. The characters were haunting, emotive and nuanced.

An exploration of family secrets, betrayals and mysteries, makes this book taut and suspenseful. I particularly enjoyed discovering how the characters past actions can cause lasting effects in the future both for themselves and others.

Tina is still grieving the loss of her twin, who die
Isaías
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Death was all around, as dark and unavoidable as the night trying to push through the windows, trying to swallow her up in blackness."

I really enjoyed this whole family-saga, Walters managed to create such a fast-paced story surrounded by mysteries and secrecy. Even though, most of the "secrets" are shown to us in the early beginning, there's this curiosity and built-up tension that hooks you in and you can't stop reading. It helps also that the chapters are short, and I adored when books m
Laura Laakso
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Life Between Us is, at its core, about secrets and the destructiveness of them. A single, thoughtless act resonates through a family for several generations and casts its shadow over people far removed from the initial event.

The story is told by different narrators and covers many decades. What impressed me from the very beginning was the subtle way in which information about the family and the individuals were introduced. Facts that seemed irrelevant at first became relevant later on in the
Susan
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is primarily the story of Tina and the effect on her life of her 8 year old twin sisters death 40 years earlier. Tina believes she was responsible for her sisters death and the guilt haunts her adult life affecting her relationships and her sanity. Interwoven with Tina's story is the wider family drama surrounding Tina's Aunts and Uncles Especially her Aunt Lucia and her relationship with her brother Edward.
The story is written on several levels travelling back and forth through the time p
Alva
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This poignant story revives memories of childhood times. Not of the pain and loss experienced by the main character but the supporting details of toys, routines, play times, tree-climbing, etc. While travelling Tina's life path before and since the death of her twin sister, Meg, one loses oneself in that wonderful childhood detail.
This is a story of family, loss, childhood fears and relationships. The clever telling through letters to a faraway cousin draws the reader into Tina's mind. Her adult
Elisabeth
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing

When Tina was 8 years old Meg, her twin sister died. Tina has spent the last 30 years blaming herself and being haunted every day about her sisters death. It has dominated her thoughts everyday and has played a crucial part in the woman that she is today.

The story spans 3 generations of the same family and shows how what happens in one generation can send shockwaves through a family for decades come.

A moving story dealing with mental health issues, grief and complex family dynamics. I picked thi
Jacqueline Pye
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An ARC of this book was sent to me at my request, with no obligations attached. Having read and greatly enjoyed Louise's first book, Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase - though I was a little confused in the early stages about the characters and the dual time - I found A Life Between Us to be clear from the start, and, if I could say, perhaps a more maturely constructed work. It was a really enjoyable read; the early part suggests a straightforward situation, but the layers are gradually peeled back, with ...more
Elaine McTaggart
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Louise Walters' first novel, "Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase" gave me high expectations of "A Life Between Us", but I was disappointed. The concept is good: a family saga that goes back and forth over time as Tina, the main character, struggles to come to terms with the death of her twin. However, the story drags, at times becoming repetitive, so that I was tempted to give up. I finished the book, but with no sense of satisfaction. However, I will keep a watch for the author's next work because of the ...more
Jeanette
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable novel! I don't usually like a story that alternates between past and present, but it did work well in this instance. It is the first time that I have read any books by this author and am sure it will not be the last. Whilst I seldom write what a story is about for fear of spoiling for others, I do highly recommend.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers. This is my honest review.
Lindasp
By the end of this book, I was enjoying the complex story but found the first half rather hard to follow with frequent alternating time periods between 1954, 1964, 1975 and 2013-15. As well, there were often half-hints, partial comments and unexplained statements that made it difficult to follow and understand. This was a story of a very dysfunctional family with lots of secrets from each other and from the reader.
Rose English
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book 38 of my Reading Challenge

This was a real page-turner which had me hooked. However, I did not feel I could give it the full 5* because many of the chapters started in one year then halfway through the same chapter skipped to a different year. This made it a tad frustrating and a little confusing. Other than that I loved it.

Worth giving it a go.
Beverley
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having loved Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase I was absolutely thrilled to be given the opportunity to read a advance copy of this new offering. I was in no way disappointed - A Life Between Us is another amazingly well written, instantly absorbing read. Once again the quality of of descriptive prose is superb and the plot flows effortlessly. This story of hidden family secrets is one of the best I've read so far this year. Loved it!
Tracey Scott-Townsend
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book quite some time ago but it's one of those that sticks with you. I love poignant stories featuring intricate family and relationship dramas, wishes and regrets and this book ticked boxes all round.
Shannon
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Won this book in goodreads giveaway . Interesting read about how someone dealt with the loss of someone close to them.
Elaine
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story line but I found that their was no build up or suspense around Meg's death it became quite flat when the truth came out, I was expecting more.
Jeanne
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
very unusual story..even unto the unusual endings for the various characters
Susan
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I came to the second novel by Louise Walters with some anticipation, having enjoyed her debut Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase very much. This second book is being self-published by Walters, an act of independence to be admired.

A Life Between Us is set in the present day and features Tina, a lonely housewife, avid reader, compulsive overeater and bereaved twin. Tina is still grieving - her twin Meg, we know, died in childhood in an incident that Tina blames herself for. When Meg asks Tina to avenge her,
Katie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Tina Thorton has spent most of her life dealing, or rather not dealing, with the death of her sister when they were both age 8. The focus on Tina as the main character, with all of her hurt and questions and guilt was a compelling part of the story.

This story takes place in two different time periods and focuses on Tina growing up and Tina as a middle-aged woman. I found the pieces of Tina as an adult much more compelling as a whole.

Though well written, this backstory plot left me with questions

• When I Was You
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • When We Were Friends
  • Little White Lies
  • Pieces of My Sister's Life
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
  • The Missing 'Gator of Gumbo Limbo (Ecological Mystery, #2)
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin?: An Ecological Mystery
  • Promise the Moon
  • After the End
  • From the Ashes
  • M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13)
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
Author of three novels: Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase, A Life Between Us and The Road to California. Also a publisher at Louise Walters Books.