Start by marking “Once Upon a Spine (A Bibliophile Mystery, #11)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Spine (A Bibliophile Mystery, #11)

Once Upon a Spine

(Bibliophile Mystery #11)

Brooklyn's future in-laws are traveling from England to meet her, and if that's not enough to set her on edge, rumors abound that the charming Courtyard Shops across the street may be replaced by high-rise apartments. Their trendy neighborhood will be ruined unless Brooklyn and her fiance, Derek Stone, can persuade the shopkeepers not to sell.
But with a rare edition of
Published June 6th 2017 by Berkley/Penguin Random House

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Spine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Spine

Start your review of Once Upon a Spine (A Bibliophile Mystery, #11)
Tina
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The setting is every book lovers dream. Bookbinder, Brooklyn Wainwright is a delightful character who is very relatable. Derek, Brooklyn's British former secret agent boyfriend adds sweetness, intrigue and a little romance.

The method of murder was interesting yet comical. A rare book has bookshop owners who are brothers-in-law up in arms which was the appeal to the mystery for me.

Although a confusing ending with many players involved, Once Upon a Spine was an enjoyable read filled with fun
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

ONCE UPON A SPINE is the eleventh book in the Bibliophile Mystery series by Kate Carlisle and it’s seriously become one of my favorites books from this author. I’ve read a lot of Carlisle’s other books and series but I feel like she has the most fun in this series. Not only is Brooklyn such a unique heroine, but I also feel like she has grown a lot throughout this series as well.

Betty
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The latest in the Bibliophile series and is a favorite of mine. I have been fortunate to have read all the books in this series. I followed all of Brooklyn 's adventures and thoroughly enjoyed them. This one does not disappoint. Brooklyn Wainwright repairs damaged books to pristine condition. She is planning a wedding to Derek Stone, a retired British government agent. San Francisco homicide officer, Inspector Lee has become a friend.
Brooklyn is looking forward to meeting Derek's parents who are
Darcia Helle
This is a light, enjoyable read, though, I didn't love it to the extent that most reviewers have so far.

The content feels more like chick-lit than the cozy mystery I'd expected. We spend a lot of time on family theatrics, paper-making instructions, and food - I think half the book is devoted to discussing, cooking, and eating snacks and meals. Granted, these scenes are often funny and entertaining. I just found the content low on substance and somewhat repetitious. In fairness, I'm not much of a
Stacie Amelotte
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
It is truly hard to believe that this is the eleventh book in the Bibliophile Mystery series. This series just keeps getting better and better. I was captivated from page one. We have witnessed Brooklyn and Derek’s characters grow along with their relationship. This book marks a lot of new things for Brooklyn. She’s taking that next big step in her relationship with Derek and is meeting her future in-laws. However, at the same time, people are ending up dead all around her. So she’s suddenly got ...more
Under the Covers Book Blog
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Laura Salas
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, 2017, mystery, e-book
I am sad to give this only 2 stars, as I'm a fan of the series in general.

I'm very used to the plots being unrealistic, and I'm fine with that. They are usually well-plotted and enjoyable to read, so I put aside the fact that they are quite far-fetched and also the uncanny ability of Brooklyn to discover dead bodies.

But this one got to be too much for me.

(view spoiler)
Lesa
The eleventh Bibliophile mystery by Kate Carlisle, Once Upon a Spine, is an entertaining combination of family, a close-knit neighborhood, and murder. Add book lore, a few recipes, and amateur sleuth Brooklyn Wainwright into the cozy mystery mix.

Brooklyn is a bookbinder who specializes in rare -book restoration. That's why she covets a hard-to-find version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in the bookstore in the Courtyard, a building that houses neighborhood shops. But, the owner refuses to
Kathy Davie
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Eleventh in the Bibliophile [cozy] Mystery series and revolving around Brooklyn Wainwright and her fiancé Derek Stone based in San Francisco.

My Take
I'd been looking forward to reading this, hey, it's a cozy mystery about rare books…what's not to love? The odd thing is that I liked the characters, mostly, the neighborhood was a treat, and, hey, books, but the writing was so stiff.

That Brooklyn sounds like an artist, and I very much enjoyed reading about her plans for the matchbook-playing
JoAn
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once Upon a Spine by Kate Carlisle was another captivating read for me. Each time I listen to one of Ms. Carlisle's Bibliophile mysteries I am immediately in San Francisco enjoying great wine, delicious food, learning new things about books and book binding. The book was filled with red herrings, twists and turns that kept me guessing until the reveal.
OpenBookSociety.com

Author Website: Katecarlisle.com

***

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

Brooklyn’s oh-so-proper future in-laws are traveling from England to meet her, and if that’s not enough to set her on edge, rumors abound that the charming Courtyard Shops across the street may be replaced by high-rise apartments. Their trendy neighborhood will be ruined unless Brooklyn and her
Fred
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once Upon A Spine is the eleventh book in the A Bibliophile Mystery series.

Another masterfully written book in this very enjoyable series. As with other books in this series, Brooklyn provides the reader with what it takes to repair damaged books and the how to make sheets of paper. Even though I may not understand everything that Brooklyn describes, I do value its addition to the story.

Brooklyn is both nervous and excited as see will soon meeting Derek’s parents for the first time. She is
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I simply love the thrill of discovery that comes with the stories in the Bibliophile Mysteries. As a book lover, the thought of finding a rare edition of one of my favorite books, well, it makes my toes wiggle. I’ll admit, I wasn’t excited about the treasured volume of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland like main character, Brooklyn Wainwright was. I have never liked that tale. But, I was wrapped up in Brooklyn’s excitement about it.

ONCE UPON A SPINE is another well written installment in the
Julia
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. The story was very entertaining and I held my interest the entire time. The characters were likable and I cared about what happened to them. This is a series I will definitely continue.

When a shop owner is killed in a store across from Brooklyn's home, she becomes involved in solving the mystery of who murdered him. Along the way, she spends a lot of time at Eddie and Terrence's book store in the same building. There is a rare copy of Alice in Wonderland that is a part of
Nancy Haddock
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am wild about this series, and Once Upon a Spine lived up to my expectations in spades. If you haven't read Kate Carlisle, get busy!
Karen
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finished Kate Carlisle's , Once Upon A Spine this morning. Out June 6th this is the 11th book in the Bibliophile Mystery Series and it is a lovely read. Calm and easy actually this story was lovely to read as main character Brooklyn and her parents meet her future in laws, meanwhile just across the street chaos ensues when one of the shop owners is murdered and another injured. Romance and betrayal, books and bewitching in laws, this is a welcome cozy mystery. I loved the cover of this book ...more
Mary
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series mostly for the characters and Brooklyn and Derek's relationship. I like the info on book binding and in this book paper making. This book is #11 in the series. Not as good as the former books and a little bit too silly but still a fun read. Recommended for cozy readers.
Susan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Bookbinder Brooklyn is anxiously awaiting the first meeting with her in-laws to be, when she finds two bodies--one dead, one barely alive--in one of the neighborhood shops. The woman who owns the shops enters and Brooklyn realizes that she was having an affair with the dead man. But so was another woman Brooklyn knows. And the co-owner of the neighborhood bookstore is in love with the shop owner. His brother-in-law, the other owner, has a rare copy of Alice in Wonderland. It turns out that ...more
Taryn
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Now that the renovations have been completed on the apartment, Brooklyn and Derek have more time to spend enjoying their little corner of the city. Brooklyn loves going to the local bookstore and seeing what treasures she can find and is enamored with a copy of Alice in Wonderland that owners Eddie and Terrance have displayed in their store. They also frequent the Rabbit Hole a health food store, with her wedding looming ahead Brooklyn wants to look and feel her best. One morning while running ...more
K.A. Davis
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rare books, impending nuptials, murder, and even more terrifying for Brooklyn, meeting her future in-laws for the first time come together in a delightful tale! ONCE UPON A SPINE by Kate Carlisle, the eleventh book in the Bibliophile Mystery series, captivated me from the very beginning. I love Brooklyn’s relationship with her parents, who are probably some of my favorite characters: a mom who is a hippy, new-age Wiccan and a dad who is a vintner. The fact that her fiancé, Derek, loves them too ...more
Lorraine
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy books or The Bibiophile Mysteries.
Another great addition to Bibliophile Mysteries. Kate Carlisle's Once Upon a Spine is a dynamic addition to her Bibliophile Mysteries. Now that Brooklyn and Derek are engaged, Derek's parents are arriving for a visit and to meet Brooklyn. Needless to say, Brooklyn is a bit nervous. Will her parents and Derek's get along? Will Derek's parents like Brooklyn? Let me just say that Brooklyn is wasting time worrying. With Brooklyn's parents, Derek's parents, Brooklyn, Derek, and a few neighborhood
Kevin
This one was quite a bit shorter then the others, but just as good. The main book Alice in Wonderland is a favorite of mine so the background on the original publication was interesting, as was Brooklyn's description on how to make paper. I'd really like to give that a try someday. I was sorry to finish this book as it was just released this summer so I'm afraid I'll have rather a long wait for the next book.
Nancy H
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series featuring book restorer Brooklyn and her fiance Derek. In this story, Brooklyn and Derek must solve the murder of a neighboring business owner, as well as solve the rash of burglaries and vandalisms that are occurring in their neighborhood. To add more stress to the situation, Derek's parents are coming for a visit and Brooklyn gets to meet them for the first time. While she is eager to see them, she is very worried about the impressio her own hippie-style parents will ...more
Debbie
I enjoyed this book as I do the whole series.
Brooklyn is kept busy between a murder mystery, visiting in-laws to be, her parents and vandalism. I enjoyed the characters, and hope that we get to see more of the in-laws. The shop keepers kept things lively, especially the bickering bookstore owners. The mystery was good, the ending a little chaotic which I actually found amusing. A very enjoyable read and I will continue on with the next in this series.
There is the bonus of some recipes in the
Sierra
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though this is book 11 in the series, it's the first one I've had a chance to read. It was a great book, and I wasn't confused about any of the characters. This can definitely be read as a stand-alone novel.

DISCLAIMER: I received this book for an honest review. Receiving the book did not influence my opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.
Linda
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brooklyn Wainwright is worrying about meeting her future in-laws in just a few days when she stumbles upon another body. She and her fiance Derek Stone work together to find out what is going on along with Inspector Janice Lee. The death seems to stem from the ownership of two volumes of Alice In Wonderland, or does it? Could it be that someone is trying to sell the shops across the street from where Brooklyn and and Derek live? Maybe someone doesn't want to see that sale happen?

I usually jump
Kim
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this light mystery. It is the 11th book in the series, but it was easy enough to follow along, not having read the others prior to this. I was glad to be given the opportunity to read it through Net Galley.

Brooklyn is a book binder who lives in a quiet community on the edge of San Francisco. She and her fiance have a quiet, peaceful life until Brooklyn discovers the local shoe repairman under a bookshelf at the organic food store. The food store operator is injured, too, and
Melodie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
OK, I'll call this one "cute". It was just okay. I am really starting to be MORE than over the cuteness and saccharine sweetness that is Brooklyn and Derek. It's to the point where they almost make me gag, and I have loved this series for a long time. The "wonderfulness" of the perfect relationship between the 2 sets of parents on the first meeting was just too over the top for me. I may read the next one, just for the wedding......but I'll wait for a paperback!
Barbara Rogers
Series: Bibliophile Mystery
Publication Date: June 6, 2017

ONCE UPON A SPINE is the eleventh book in the Bibliophile Mystery series by Kate Carlisle. I seem to enjoy this series more and more with each new book. Brooklyn grows and matures more with each book and her relationship with the handsome, debonair Derek is heading toward the next level with their upcoming wedding. I can hardly wait!

I love books – and this is a book (and series) about books – what could be more perfect. Brooklyn is a book
Katreader
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

ONCE UPON A SPINE by Kate Carlisle
The Eleventh Bibliophile Mystery

Brooklyn Wainwright is a nervous wreck. Her future in-laws are coming to visit and she's in a panic wondering if they'll like her. Her anxiety level is increased as they will also be meeting her parents. How will Derek's British family react to Brooklyn's new agey mother? Easing her tension is the love she has not only for Derek, but their neighborhood with all the lovely shops and shopkeepers. Heck, the bookstore owners even let
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 2 14 Jun 26, 2018 04:05PM

• A Just Clause (Booktown Mystery, #11)
  • Death in the Stacks (Library Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9)
  • Murder in the Locked Library (Book Retreat Mysteries, #4)
  • Poisoned Pages (Booktown Mystery, #12)
  • Murder in the Reading Room (Book Retreat Mysteries #5)
  • Title Wave (Booktown Mystery #10)
  • A Fatal Chapter (Booktown Mystery, #9)
  • Something Read, Something Dead (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #5)
  • Better Late Than Never (Library Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #11)
  • Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)
  • The Diva Cooks up a Storm (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #11)
  • Broken Bone China (A Tea Shop Mystery #20)
  • Grace to the Finish (A Manor House Mystery, #8)
  • Murder in the Secret Garden (Book Retreat Mysteries, #3)
Golden Heart and Daphne du Maurier Award winning author Kate Carlisle spent over twenty years working in television production as an Associate Director for game and variety shows, including The Midnight Special, Solid Gold and The Gong Show. She traveled the world as a Dating Game chaperone and performed strange acts of silliness on The Gong Show. She also studied acting and singing, toiled in ...more

Bibliophile Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Mystery, #1)
  • If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery, #2)
  • The Lies That Bind (A Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Murder under Cover (A Bibliophile Mystery, #4)
  • One Book in the Grave (A Bibliophile Mystery, #5)
  • Peril in Paperback  (A Bibliophile Mystery, #6)
  • A Cookbook Conspiracy (A Bibliophile Mystery, #7)
  • The Book Stops Here (A Bibliophile Mystery, #8)
  • Ripped From the Pages (A Bibliophile Mystery, #9)
  • Books of a Feather (A Bibliophile Mystery, #10)