Start by marking “Welcome to Ludus (Delvers LLC, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Ludus (Delvers LLC, #1)

Welcome to Ludus

(Delvers LLC #1)

Henry and Jason led normal lives in Seattle before they were abducted to another world. Their kidnapper, the vain, self-styled god Dolos refuses to send them back unless they can accomplish an impossible task. Oddly, Dolos doesn’t seem to care if they succeed or not.

Luckily, Henry and Jason studied Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) on Earth. Unfortunately
Published September 19th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Ludus, please sign up.
Forrest looks like the answer was June 21, 2017.
According to Amazon: Audible.com Release Date: June 21, 2017

John
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
Mike (the Paladin)
Like so many others I've read lately (and most have been fun and enjoyable if not inspired) this another in the fairly new genre of LITRPG. That is a book or story set in what is a fantasy RPG (Role Playing Game) world.

The big plot switch of late has been to come up with an over riding reason for the person to be "trapped" in said world. Most of the time the story starts out with the premise that the main character can not exit the game. Early on the players might have been quadriple
C.T. Phipps
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Since Mark Twain did A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, there's always been a desire by some people to be the guy who goes to a fantasy world in order to make use of their knowledge to take over. Err, I mean be a big hero. My favorite of this subgenre is probably Army of Darkness followed by Eric Flint's Ring of Fire series. Still, Blaise Corvin's Delvers LLC has probably supplanted the latter as my second favorite of all time. The only reason it's not at the top is because, well, Bru ...more
Wolgan
These two 'amazing badass dudes' had so little common sense and such a massive lack of situational awareness it made me visibly upset. My wife can attest to my ranting about these two morons. Like, the fact that they survived living in Seattle, much less an alien planet boggles my mind. On top of all that, they're arrogant dicks who think they're smarter than everyone else, and are condescending to basically everyone. But it's ok, because they're soooo amazing...

Technically speaking,
Kevin
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook, litrpg
More a straight up fantasy title, where the protagonists are transported from our world to science fiction/fantasy world. The heroes are heroic, self sacrificing men, the women hot and there are even cat girls. While one of the heroes complains about anime tropes, the novel certainly contains them. The great god Dolos was my favorite character, both funny and evil and a great way to drive the story.
Anton
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is the kind of monster you create when you heap attention and money upon hack frauds like Brandon Sanderson. I don't know what I expected but Jesus Christ. Just because you're writing meme-fantasy doesn't mean it's okay to commit crimes against literature in the process.

>> Jason chuckled grimly. 'We've know each other a long time man. Don't you remember how I had to take my mom to the women's shelter when I was 15? I grew up with an abusive alcoholic step-father.' <<
Allan
Dec 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I won't finish this. When a character does something completely out of whack with their training for no reason other than to forward the plot, I won't waste my time reading it past that point.
SPOILER COMING
If a person has been in a war zone, and their buddy, whom they have said they trust, hesitates to follow a child down a dark alley, there is no chance that the military member is going down that path and going to be surprised. But that is what one of these guys did. I stopped reading at
Wolfgarr
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jason a budding psychopath and Henry the Sociopath are abducted by a "God" and put into a world said "God" has been using as experiments. This is your standared harem story.. With a couple twists. Light on the sex (no real descriptions.. So rest easy) While i found the book somewhat interesting..The author failed to get me to care about any of the characters. I will not be reading Book 2
Steven Naylor
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating 2.5

I am really not having much luck with my reading selection lately. I go into these books with high hopes and they end up disappointing. This books wasn't terrible but it wasn't very good either. The premise was a little different from other LitRPG books. Most of the time it is a person who wants to escape his life so he ends up playing a virtual reality game and then gets stuck in the game. Even though the character doesn't plan on getting stuck in the game, that character did initia
AudioBookReviewer
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
My original Welcome to Ludus audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Henry and Jason suddenly find themselves on Ludus, a strange and violent planet run by the homicidal god, Dolos.  They are given a bag of goodies and instructions to either save the world, have a chance to return to Earth, or more likely die in the effort.

The story is an unapologetic fictional creation of a roll playing video game (RPG).  Henry and Jason can gain points, improve their magic skills
Russell Gray
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped, reviewed
I personally had a very difficult time ignoring the quality of writing with this story since it was a few notches lower than what I'm used to. There are also a lot of tropes that bothered me right off the bat.

I gave this book 176 pages of my time which accounts for 30% progress according to my kindle. I feel like at this point, if the author is still somehow holding onto something that's going to blow my hair back, then that's just another of the many writing mistakes he has made. As
Micha Lee
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
(Profanity used here, because the book has a lot of profanity) Started out fun and fast, then the more you know the characters the more I started to hate them.. We get it, you're the "no bull shit" character that doesn't take shit from anyone. Ever, not ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, so is there anything else to their personalities or is the book the characters just proving they don't take no shit ever ever? Even the "nerdy guy" the author describes him as always getting picked on and not being g ...more
Hamda
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
This book reads like someone's fan-fiction.... a someone that grew up in a very specific time frame.

Delvers LLC Recipe

-Take "Q" from Star trek the next generation and make him the trickster god Dolos

-Mix in Bella from disney's beauty and the beast and make her go through with her love of adventuring (like what she sings about but ends up only reading)

- Add a pinch of space elf (because a Nyan-chan girl spot was taken)

- And a thunder cat, because thunder cats, WE ALL AP/>Delvers
Aaron
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Starting with the good:
The narration was great. The GameLit parts were sparse, but I liked what was there. The adventure elements of the story were a lot of fun.

However, on the negative side, the romance was particularly, painfully adolescent. But the thing that was truly off-putting was that the morality was sometimes... disturbing. If there's another brutal rapist character in the next book, I won't be reading it.
Douglas Debner
Jun 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book would deserve something like a 3 star review except for one thing. The MCs get a mission from a god but the book ends with zero resolution. All that happens is the MCs make a start. So, this book fails in the simple task of actually telling a story.

Other than the lack of resolution the author does a fairly good job. He even makes an attempt to alleviate the lack of resolution by ending on the high note of the gang successfully clearing a dungeon, although that is immediately followed
Brad T.
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, litrpg
I feel like this book was written by two different people. There was the cool, analytical writer who writes about game mechanics and detailed battles and then there's the teen aged hormonal boy writing about sex with girls. It was disarming and took away from the book feeling that there were two voices. Not sure if I will read more in this series.
Susan
Henry and Jason are engaging characters. They have a little knowledge about weapons, armor, and fighting and these are definitely put to the test right away on Ludus. Dolos, the omnipotent god of Ludus, is a jerk but Henry and Jason strike a bargain with him and are determined to win. I am skeptical that Dolos will hold up his end of the bargain. Still, I hope Henry and Jason best him by the end of the series.
The first big hurdle for the guys is to take out some orc-like creatures that hav
Matej
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Could have been good

Great example of good idea buried in a ton of poor writing.

Unfortunately the author can’t write a dialogues and 99.99% is third person description of what happened. There is almost no interaction between characters and those few rare conversations are poorly written and completely not matching what we are constantly told about MCs.

If half of the nonsense was cut out, the descriptions of conversations replaced with actual dialogues and background info of MCs changed fro
James
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book.

The story is good and enjoyable the book was a little predictable and slow to start. Overall the book kept me engaged with the plot and I enjoyed how the author worked to make sure that the readers learned more about the world and the characters. The characters continue to grow and develop in the book so I liked that.
Andy Mangham
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Don't be fooled by the three stars–I loved this book! "Welcome to Ludus" was fun, exciting, and had a relatability I really enjoyed. The book follows two fairly normal American guys who are suddenly dropped into a fantasy world with nothing but their wits and a bag full of supplies to guide them. What I liked the most about this book is that I could really see myself in it–Jason and Henry, our protagonists, approach their strange new circumstance logically and like reasonable people. If you've r ...more
Billie
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: litrpg
So this is somewhere between a litRPG and a standard YA fantasy. Basically a couple of HEMA fans get zapped to this world by Dolos a self described god of a pleasure world, where there's monsters and stuff for them to fight as part of some sort of experiment (which for those who don't know - aka me in 3 months when I come back to figure out what I thought of this novel, HEMA is fencing but with european medieval weapons and armour). Once he's got them there Dolos tells them they need to take ove ...more
Deathofrats
Feb 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
So what this came down to for me is that it’s a well written story with ok characters but a very poor understanding and view of how culture and social values are shaped. I like that the author made the world have a different culture but it needs to be at least somewhat realistic in style.
Basically the culture feels like the author just picked ideas of how different societies worked then mixed and matched. The example of a matriarchal society with polygyny is the most annoying because the a
Chris Evans
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litrpg
The setup for Delvers LLC draws quite a bit from the 'The Land' model of a god draws humans from earth to a fantasy world and sets them loose to effect change in the world. Aside from the setup, though, it's immensely different. Delvers does a great job on every level of the story, the characters are interesting and likable, the world is interesting, and the magic/tech system is well thought out. Corvin even does a decent job at having non-cringy romance in his book.

This is a sudo-li
Persnickety
Dec 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Child abuse, rape, and torture.

I just couldn't get past the repetitive scenarios and graphic descriptions of abuse, rape, and torture of prisoners, women, and especially children. The scenarios in the first book are just a hint of what you'll find in the following books. It escalates. A lot. IMO it goes way beyond anything that is needed to support, or add to, the storyline and ruins the series.

Other people might "really love" (5 stars!?!) reading that stuff. Yeah, the author is ma
T'Lyesia
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I flip flop from kinda liking to straight disliking this book. The world and ideas are interesting. The characters have interesting powers. However, the personality of the leads aren't fleshed out like real people and they do things that contrast with how they're described a lot.

Another thing that bothers me is the maturity level of these 'adults'. They seem a lot more like teenagers in thoughts and sometimes actions than someone in the 20 to 30 range.

Technically speaking
Ahw
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This just isn't good writing. The characters were flat. When they weren't indistinguishable from one another they were cardboard props. The F word was thrown around like a teenage boy away from home for the first time, pointlessly repetitive in an effort to fit in with the cool kids. I won't be reading the sequels so perhaps the author will improve with more practice. I wish him the best. I hate to be so critical - he can write a better story than I can - but I expect more than that.

Soo
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 Stars for Story & Narration by Jeff Hays

Mini-Review:

Jeff Hays is a talented voice actor and does a great job with the character voices but the way he narrates the rest of the story is rather robotic. That's the reason why it took a while for me to get into this story and finish it.

The world Corvin created comes off like a odd mix of D&D and RPG games. I like the snarky humor that underlines the story and the various characters that make up Delvers group. There's a smatt
Kevin
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really hope chapters of this girl doesn't become a regular thing...

Slight prediction. (view spoiler)

Good grief. I have a feeling that the author watched a lot of anime. DBZ and Jojo's Bi
b. binaohan
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF...

I got into this genre because it can be fun, lighthearted entertainment but far too frequently the MC is so disgusting it makes me want to puke. This is one such case.

TW: Rape/Sexual Assault

(view spoiler) ...more
Lukas Lovas
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good, I've enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. It's not childish, and it's not a parody, which is what I was afraid of based on the cover.

That said, the book was fun, the humor was good and well distributed throughout the book, the characters were overpowered as all hell (which I don't actually mind at all), and the story was much better than I expected.

Truly, the cover is probably the worst thing about this book - it's not perfect, but within it's genre, it was highly enjoyable and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
LitRPG Forum: Delvers LLC: LitRPG Series 3 48 May 30, 2018 10:44AM

• Life Reset (New Era Online #1)
  • A Trap for the Potentate (The Dark Herbalist, #3)
  • Shadows in the Flame (The Dragon's Wrath, #3)
  • Star Force: Origin Series Box Set (57-60)
  • Dungeon Madness (The Divine Dungeon, #2)
  • The Twilight Obelisk (Mirror World #4)
  • The Phantom Castle (The Way of the Shaman, #4)
  • The Beginning (War Aeternus #1)
  • The Trapped Mind Project (Emerilia, #1)
  • Chronicles of a Royal Pet: Wood, Stone and Bone (Royal Ooze Chronicles #3)
  • Dungeon Spawned (Dark Dungeon, #1)
  • Cataclysm (Viridian Gate Online #1)
  • The Weirdest Noob (The Weirdest Noob #1)
  • Challenge (Unbound Deathlord #1)
  • Opening Moves (The Gam3, #1)
Blaise Corvin served in the US Army in several roles. He has seen the best and the worst that humanity has to offer. He is a sucker for any hobby involving weapons, art, or improv.

He currently lives in Texas, in a house full of enough geeky memorabilia to start a museum.

He likes talking about himself in 3rd person and posting pictures of himself holding tarantulas. Sometime

Delvers LLC (3 books)
  • Obligations Incurred (Delvers LLC, #2)
  • Adventure Capital (Delvers LLC, #3)