Start by marking “The Silent Corner (Jane Hawk, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Silent Corner (Jane Hawk, #1)

The Silent Corner (Jane Hawk #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  14,313 Ratings  ·  1,821 Reviews
A dazzling new series debuts with a remarkable heroine certain to become a new icon of suspense, propelled by the singular narrative genius of #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz.

I very much need to be dead.

These are the chilling words left behind by a man who had everything to live for but took his own life. In the aftermath, his widow, Jane Hawk, does
Published June 20th 2017 by Bantam (first published June 6th 2017)

Julie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz is a 2017 Bantam publication.

This is the best Koontz novel I have read in a very long time.

After Jane’s decorated husband commits suicide, she detects a noticeable uptick in suicides, prompting her to do a little research into the matter.

The FBI agent quickly realizes her findings have made someone very nervous, which prompts her to relocate her son to a safe place, while she goes in search of answers.

The horror she uncovers is a spine tingling world of brain
Matthew
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Matthew by: Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Thanks to Bantam Books/Random house for this ARC. Also thanks to Dustin Crazy little brown owl - moderator of Koontzland - the definitive Koontz Goodreads group - for hosting the giveaway where I won this book.

Right away in the intro to the ARC, Koontz says this is not like his normal writing. I have not read all of his books yet, but of what I have read, this it a very true statement. This is not horror. This is not supernatural. There are no oddly named demons or maniacal serial killers. But,
Paromjit
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This thrilling new series from Dean Koontz gets off to a flying start. Things are going well for Jane Hawks when out of the blue her husband commits suicide. A reeling and griefstricken Jane is on leave from the FBI when she decides she is going to look into this, taking the precaution of hiding her five year old son away. She becomes aware that there are other talented people who have similarly committed suicide. As she tried to get to the bottom of this horrifying phenomena, she finds herself ...more
Maureen Carden
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My five stars showed I really liked this new book by Dean Koontz. Which is a relief as I have been all over the place in recent years with my opinions of his books. The first book I ever read of his, Strangers is on my all-time top ten list. Others I had a hard time finishing.

Jane Hawk is on leave from the FBI, her husband Nick has committed suicide. Nick, along with many others that Jane finds out about all seem to fit the category of "least likely to off themselves." Jane is determined to find
Celeste
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Full review now posted!
Original review can be found at Booknest.

2.5/5 stars

Being disappointed by one of your favorite authors is a hard pill to swallow. Watching that author fall further and further down your list of favorites while you stand helplessly by is no picnic, either. Once upon a time, Dean Koontz was one of my very favorite authors.

When I was in high school I somehow came to hold the fervent belief that one couldn’t be a fan of both King and Koontz, so I checked out a book by each fr
Cody | codysbookshelf
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Release Date: 06.06.17

It is nighttime as I write this. In fact, it is time for me to sleep, but I cannot; not until I get out my thoughts on Dean Koontz's latest thrill ride, The Silent Corner. I just finished reading, and my pulse is still pounding.

Jane Hawk is a woman on the run. She's mourning her husband's suicide and running from her past; she's running toward answers. An FBI agent on leave, Jane is a resourceful, intelligent protagonist who suspects a conspiracy: the suicide rate in the Un
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book would make a fantastic movie! Maybe already in the works? If not, well it should be!

Jane was convinced she had the perfect life. A great job with the FBI, a husband rising fast through the ranks of the Marines, and a beautiful son. Then the bottom falls out. While entertaining the entire family and preparing for dinner together, Jane gets the shock of her life… her husband just killed himself.

She digs to find the unfathomable reason why he would ever take his own life. During her inv
Holly  B

Jane Hawk is like a female Jason Bourne! She is on leave from the FBI and off the grid to investigate her husbands suspicious death. Nick has committed suicide, but he had everything to live for and Jane is determined to use her experience and talents to uncover the truth concerning his death. She soon discovers a pattern of other suicides that appear as suspicious as Nicks.

She runs, she hides, she investigates, she uncovers evidence. She is always checking her back and sleeps with a pistol und
Karen
I received this ARC from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

FBI Agent Jane Hawks is sure someone is killing people and making it look like suicide, including her husband. Now she must find and prove the truth before they find her.

I didn't like this book too much and was mostly bored with the story. Jane is a strong heroine but I didn't fall in love or sympathize with her character.

There were obscure references (like one to Hester Prynne) that didn't relate to anything else, as if the remar
Phrynne
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
The latest from Dean Koontz and the start of a new series featuring Jane Hawk, an FBI agent. I like Koontz best for his supernatural stories but this mystery / thriller was good too.
Jane Hawk is an excellent new character for a series. She is smart, more than capable (of anything as it turns out) and very determined. In this book she is in a position where she is on the run and unable to trust anyone even her fellow FBI agents. The reader is very quickly on her side and willing her to succeed in
Monnie
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
..."
--David Bowie

When I open a new Dean Koontz book, it's always with great enthusiasm. Whether or not I'll love it isn't an issue - the only question is what he will come up with to keep me engrossed this time. As expected, there's no "oops" here - he's done it again with this, the first of a series featuring FBI agent Jane Hawk. If I had to describe the book in just a few words, it would be Sarah Connor meets Jason Bourn
Jilly
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A lot of things sickened her these days, and yet she didn’t spend any time throwing up.

That quote sums up our heroine, Jane, in this book. She lost her husband to suicide and (view spoiler) only a few months ago, but she is hard as a rock and is difficult to connect with emotionally because of it.

In this book, we journey with Jane as she searches for answers behind her husband's death. There is a lot of action, and a lot of characters who make brief app
JanB
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars, just missing 4 stars due to a slow moving plot in the first half.

I’m a long-time fan of Koontz, having read and enjoyed nearly everything he’s written. This thriller is the start of a new series featuring Jane Hawk, and is a departure from his typical horror/supernatural genre.

I love a strong female character and Koontz outdid himself with Jane. I liked her a lot. As with most of Koontz’s good guys, she does the right thing regardless of the personal cost. She’s smart, courageous, an
Carol
The Hook I've read many books by Dean Koontz and have enjoyed most. I like when an author takes a risk and tries something different. Fans often want the same ol' and don't take kindly to a book going in a new direction. When I hear Koontz was throwing his hat into the series ring, I thought, “Why not?”.

The Line - ”Children were the world as it was meant to be - and they were a light within the world. But for every light, there seemed to be someone bent on extinguishing it.”

The Sinker - This is
Jim
This was an entertaining read. Not very believable but entertaining. I agree that it would probably make a good movie. I haven't read many of the author's books but what I have read were more in the horror genre. This reminded me of Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, or Ira Levin.

Jane Hawk takes a leave of absence from her job as an FBI agent after her husband commits suicide. She cannot accept that he would take his own life. He was a Marine with everything going for him. Successful, happily married
Obsidian
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Why did I listen to all of those glowing reviews about this book. I should have known. This is just more Koontz and his love of all things guns plot-lines with either a solo person or family going up against an evil group using nanotechnology to control human beings. I saw elements not only just from "77 Shadow Street" but he whole sale just reworked a plot from his "What the Knight Knows" story-line with a character who is affected by his sister being raped and murdered in front of him. And it ...more
Debra
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I very much need to be dead.

The Silent Corner is a new series from Dean Koontz which introduces a strong female lead character, FBI agent, Jane Hawk. Jane goes on leave after her husband's suicide - a suicide that occurred after a string of migraine headaches. While grieving her husband's death, Jane realizes that suicide rates have gone up and that very accomplished seemingly happy people are committing suicide in alarmingly high numbers. As Jane seeks to find answers, she becomes a hunted woma
Liz
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars, rounded up to three mainly for the crazy paced action

I have never been a big Dean Koontz fan. I loved The Darkest Evening of the Year but started an Odd Thomas book and never finished it. But I decided to give this new series of his a shot.

It's a conspiracy story. An FBI agent, on leave from her job after her husband’s suicide, tries to find a reason for an increasing number of suicides taking place among successful, nondepressed people. You're given bits and pieces of what's happeni
Beth
I really enjoyed THE SILENT CORNER. Caught up in Koontz brand of storytelling, I found myself anxiously turning each page to see what horror Jane would have to face next.

For the most part, I was enraptured by THE SILENT CORNER but occasionally it got a little too descriptive, upsetting the character connects and the flow.

This is the first time I'm reading a Dean Koontz novel and I can tell you now it won't be my last. Koontz writes a memorizing and riveting tale that just grabs the reader in i
Debbie
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, this one crazy, out there concept that humans could be programmed to hear a couple of words and then turn into robots and do what is asked of them. And, people were buying into it! For a $300,000 membership fee you could visit a place where all the women are there to do anything and everything you ask. This guy even had coyotes programmed to be watchdogs on his very private property in Napa.

A freaky concept that had Jane Hawk looking for answers as to how her husband could be dancing and si
Helga
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
3.5

Jane Hawk, an FBI agent, begins her own investigation, after she discovers an escalation in unexpected suicides, including her husband’s.
The first book in a new series, The Silent Corner has a gripping plot and the right amount of suspense to make one want to read more. This said, some parts were a little slow and too unnecessarily descriptive and detailed.
My favorite book by this author is still False Memory.
Grace
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very disappointed, one of my favorite writers is Dean Koontz. This book just did not catch my interest at all.
Annie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Koontz is one of my favourite authors, but I've not read any of his books for years. Over the years, I have seen the 'series' of books become more and more popular with authors. Having read The Silent Corner, I now have to wait months for the next instalment of the this trilogy, which I find so very annoying.

Here we read about FBI agent Jane Hawk. Jane is trying to find out the truth, as to why her husband Nick and many others suddenly commit suicide. She sells her house, leaves her young son wi
Lolly K Dandeneau
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Via my blog https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com
"Was your husband… was Gordon at all depressed?”

“Not ever. Some people throw hope away. Gordie was chained to it all his life, an optimist’s optimist.”

When Jane Hawk’s husband commits suicide it isn’t just her grief nor denial driving her to find out what really happened. Suddenly people are committing suicide, those who have never suffered from depression and have everything to live for. What is terrifying about his latest novel is the reality,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I read Lightning by Dean Koontz many, many years ago and since then I have loved Dean Koontz's books. I haven't read that many Koontz books in recent years, but I have slowly started to read through the books I have missed. I was really thrilled to get the chase to read The Silent Corner, the first book in a new thriller series.

The book starts off strong with the book's heroine Jane Hawk trying to find a reason for why her husband and several other people have committed suicide, despite never sh
Fred
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Koontz Group Read July 2017

Vampires, Weres and Fae

What happen to Inga

A new Paramount TV series is coming with Jane Hawk - the FBI agent on leave. "The Silent Corner" starts the series, "The Whispering Room" is the second book, I don't see the 3rd book published yet?
This book reminds me a little of Tess Gerritsen's "Rizzoli & Iles" books. Jane Hawk can be compared to Det. Jane Rizzoli, tough detective with gentle personality to help the innocent.

Jane Hawk investigates increasing suicide
Judy Collins
Dean Koontz returns following Ashley Bell, landing on my Top Books of 2015 with his latest, THE SILENT CORNER.

Coming in Paperback 10/31/17. Look for a special preview bonus included of The Whispering Room Jane Hawk #2.

Koontz, a master at building suspense, and an incredible story-teller, this time around with action and a well-developed heroine to match. And as always, his signature lyrical prose.

The author introduces readers to the impressive, Jane Hawk: the first in the new series THE SIL
Patrice Hoffman
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where has this Dean Koontz been the last 10-15 years (maybe more)? And Jane Hawk? I needed her in my life as well. The Silent Corner brings together all the things I grew up loving about Koontz writing and actually delivering on a plot that I didn't want to give-up on halfway through the novel. No iPad's or Kindles needed to repaired after reading 25 pages or so of how awesome dogs are.

And yes, dogs are awesome but really... I mean really...

I digress...

Jane Hawk is obviously running from someon
G.H. Eckel
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Koontz is a good writer and I had high expectations. I suppose that's, in part, why this novel fell short for me. It's about a wife/mom whose husband has committed suicide. She discovers a common thread that runs through many other suicides that she seeks to understand and eventually expose. Obviously, the suicides are not coincidental and about 150 pages in we get the voice of a bad guy who threatens to kidnap her son and sell him into the ISIS sex trade if she doesn't halt her nosiness. But, o ...more
Irene
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jane Hawk is on the run, not just from those who want to harm her but towards the truth, and she will do whatever it takes to find it. Someone wants to stop her from finding out what really happened to her husband. Jane doesn't believe he would have killed himself. She also believes a recent increase in the number of suicides by people who had no reason to kill themselves is somehow connected.

This was a heart pounding suspenseful thriller.

I received an advance copy for review
What happened to Inga? 4 37 Jul 17, 2018 04:44PM
Koontzland - Dean...: The Silent Corner (Group Read - July 2017) 86 117 Mar 18, 2018 03:14PM
For Love of a Book: The Silent Corner - Buddy Read February 7 13 Mar 06, 2018 09:25AM
Around the Year i...: The Silent Corner, by Dean Koontz 1 8 Jan 21, 2018 07:38AM
Vampires, Weres a...: The Silent Corner 13 25 Oct 29, 2017 11:06AM

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz

Jane Hawk (5 books)
  • The Whispering Room (Jane Hawk, #2)
  • The Crooked Staircase (Jane Hawk, #3)
  • The Forbidden Door (Jane Hawk, #4)
  • The Night Window (Jane Hawk, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“If you let the news spoil your appetite, there wouldn’t be a day you could eat.” 3 likes
“Ideas shouldn’t matter more than people.” He” 2 likes