Start by marking “Singapore Love Stories” as Want to Read:
Singapore Love Stories

Singapore Love Stories

What does it mean to love and be loved in Singapore?

Singapore Love Stories is a vibrant collection of seventeen stories that delves into the diverse love lives of Singapore’s eclectic mix of inhabitants. From the HDB heartlander to the Sentosa millionaire, the privileged expatriate to the migrant worker, the accidental tourist to the reluctant citizen, the characters in th
Published November 1st 2016 by Monsoon Books (first published September 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Singapore Love Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singapore Love Stories

Eleanor Carter
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a Good Reads giveaway and was intrigued by the unique theme. I am not always the biggest fan of short stories but I was keen to get started on this one.

The theme of both love and Singapore made the short stories seem more cohesive than some anthologies but there was a broad range of different writing styles and topics. Some dealt with romantic love whereas others were the love for friends. Some mourned dead lovers, some explored the complex feelings behind falling out of love,
Anna Tan
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I might have been a little too distracted to enjoy this book as much as I wanted to. Similar in concept to LOVE IN PENANG, Singapore Love Stories is an anthology of love stories set in Singapore. The themes and stories are a little darker, and a lot grittier, though.

The anthology opens with the brilliant A Poor Man by Audrey Chin, which immerses you in the life of a poor immigrant Indian construction worker in rich, cosmopolitan Singapore. Written in epistolary style, the richness of the tone
Tripfiction
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Valentine's Day Love Stories set in SINGAPORE

This is a compendium of short stories, featuring the myriad, sparkling and darker permutations of love. All set in Singapore. There are little snippets of life in Singapore sprinkled liberally throughout the beautifully put together stories, all different, and all interesting.

This little tome would be a good read to enjoy on a flight into the island city-state, the stories are wonderfully varied and entertaining and would definitely get a traveller in
Anne
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book's title is a misnomer, but I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories in this anthology. Some of the stories left me hanging, but it was a good kind of feeling. I haven't felt this good after reading a book in a long time.
Karien Ditzhuijzen
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am not always the biggest fan of short stories, but as this is set in Singapore, my home since four years, and features local authors, I gave it a go. And I'm glad I did, as I really enjoyed it. As with most collection of stories by different authors, some appealed to me more than others, but there are definitely some gems in there that make the whole collection worth its while.

Singapore love stories addresses a number of different types of love, romantic, filial, desperate, sweet or dark, an
Chloe Trindall
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great and really solid book of short stories. It covers an interesting variety of themes and experiences. And it gives you a real insight to life inSingapore. If you are planning to spend any length in Singapore then I highly recommend you get yourself a copy.
Miriam Smith
Nov 21, 2016 added it
Not read - passed on.
Mabel Y-A
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got transported from one spot to another within Singapore while reading the book.
Junhao
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading this short stories collection, nothing seemed to jump out at me and some stories did have an unsatisfactory ending. However, when I flipped through the whole book after I was finally done, I was pleasantly surprised at how many of them stuck with me and how much I appreciated most of them. While the writing of some of them could have been better, I am still impressed by their overall quality. I haven't read any local anthology before and I guess this is a good start!
Synne
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book of short stories. It provided so many different perspectives of Singapore. It made me want to move back.
Beth Lawson
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
In spite of the terrible title and cover -both of which bring to mind smarmy romances - this little book turned out to be a delight. Seventeen short stories are included, with each one depicting love in all its strange, unique, and frequently awkward and ugly forms. The stories all bear unpredictable outcomes, yet they are relatable, portraying the protagonists in vulnerable ways in which we can empathize. Highly recommended.
Bronwyn
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Really solid themed short story anthology. Nicely-rounded - the collection is sprinkled with a variety of tales such that there's something for the romantic, the tragic, the humorist... etc, but it still hangs together as a whole. Lots of quality writing. Refreshing to hear from the Singaporean corner of the globe as well.
Sue
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Goodreads giveaway, thanks to Monsoon books.
As snapshots into the life and seemingly eclectic culture in Singapore of which I know very little,I found these stories interesting. They cover not just a wide variety of scenario but also of age, nationality and social group. I find both the title and hearts on the cover misleading as many seem to be more about the complexities of life, not love.
dedd
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The book is an anthology of 17 stories set in Singapore. Some stories were good others not so much. Also some of the stories required the reader to be familiar with the Singaporean humor and slang. Thank you to GoodReads and Monsoon books for a copy of the book.
Tan Clare
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"You know all this talk about magic? It's really just love. That's the greatest magic in the world."
pg 223

Indeed. I was especially moved by the two stories of familial love (the one about the grandma, and the one about the father) in this collection.
Daniel Smith
Won in the Goodreads Giveaways
ruishan
Jan 01, 2018
Janet Beard
Sep 08, 2017
Marty
Oct 14, 2017 added it
A great collection of stories.
Memoriesandsuch
Dec 17, 2016
Alisa Tan
Mar 07, 2017
Melanie Lee
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Evelyn Teo