Start by marking “The Courtship of Edward Gardiner: A Pride & Prejudice Prequel” as Want to Read:
The Courtship of Edward Gardiner: A Pride & Prejudice Prequel

Read Book

The Courtship of Edward Gardiner: A Pride & Prejudice Prequel

Every great love has a beginning.

In Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, we meet with perhaps the most sensible, caring relatives a lovelorn young woman could hope for: Mr and Mrs Gardiner. What is their story?

Edward Gardiner has just been refused by the lovely young woman he had intended to make his wife. Heartbroken and eager for a diversion, he accepts an invitation from his b
Published October 21st 2016 by Nicole Clarkston

To ask other readers questions about The Courtship of Edward Gardiner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courtship of Edward Gardiner

Mary
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books, read-2017
Dear reader,

What a fantastic job Stevie Zimmerman does! She has a very distinctive voice and a keen talent when it comes to portraying the depth of emotions felt by the various characters in a range of different situations.

From the sad and despondent Edward,to the sardonic and wry humour of Mr Bennet, to the whimsical fancies of seven year old Lizzy
and the ladylike persona of Madeline,we are privy to their wishes and wants and happily present to see the fulfilment of their hearts' desires!!

I
J. W. Garrett
A simple trip to the north and Uncle Gardiner meets his future

This book was just so delightful and that cover was an excellent choice. I could not believe someone was able to create a story around the courtship of Uncle and Aunt Gardiner. We have loved this couple for years as they first appeared in P&P and in all the JAFF stories, sequels, prequels, variations and the numerous movie adaptations. Their wisdom and insight guided our dear girls through their formative years and helped them to
Sheila Majczan
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This variation is a charming tale in which the author brings into the picture many of the persons we have met in canon. However it is with imagination and a skill to stay true to the behaviors we meet in Pride and Prejudice. We have at first a man disappointed in love dragged along on a needed journey to attend to Bennet’s sick brother that we read of Edward Gardiner's introduction to the lovely Madeline. This is a young lady who helps her father in his trade and thus is no wilting flower.

Bennet
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813
Nicole Clarkston stops by Just Jane 1813 with audiobook giveaways and a wonderful post related to our beloved characters. Thank you, Nicole. Your post had me laughing all the way!!

Ms. Clarkston’s introspective story reimagines the early lives of our favorite supporting characters from Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. (4.5 stars)

Source: I received an eARC of this story from the author for a fair and honest review.

“With the Gardiners, they were always on the m
Debbie Brown
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-jaff, jaff
I simply devoured this book. Loved the premise, loved the characters, loved the plot, loved the high quality of the writing, and loved the way Ms. Clarkston makes everything perfectly fit together. Any devotee of Pride and Prejudice will appreciate all the incidental winks and nods to the masterpiece that inspired this story.

The consistency of the characters with Jane Austen's is particularly impressive. Thomas Bennet, 12 years before the events of Pride and Prejudice take place, already demonst
Rita Deodato
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review initially published on:
The Courtship of Edward Gardiner by Nicole Clarkston was one of my 2016 favorite books, so you may imagine that I’ve been eager to review it and today I’m finally doing it!

In this Pride and Prejudice prequel, Mr. Gardiner and Mr. Bennet with little Jane and Lizzy are traveling north to visit Mr. Bennet’s brother when Jane becomes sick. Because of that, they are forced to stop at a small town to allow Jane some time to recover,
Don Jacobson
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I was given an ARC in exchange for a fair review.

Wow…this is one of those books about which I say, “I wish I had written that!” She pushes the Gardiner story backwards which adds a wonderful dimension of understanding to the development of Jane and Lizzy in Pride & Prejudice.

Clarkston offers a compelling portrait of Edward and successfully shapes his character as a young businessman. I particularly enjoyed the sentimentality she built into him (when he finds a way to aid Mr. Ryan in s
Anna
Nicole Clarkston’s newest novel, The Courtship of Edward Gardiner, is a prequel to Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice that centers on Mrs. Bennet’s brother, Edward Gardiner. Mr. Gardiner has worked hard to build up his business in trade in London and finally has the means to support a family. After being rejected by a Miss Rutherford, a brokenhearted Mr. Gardiner finds himself on the way to Sheffield with his brother-in-law, Thomas Bennet, and his oldest daughters, eight-year-old Jane and seven-y ...more
Joana Starnes
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful tale that leads the reader not only through the courtship and eventual marriage of Elizabeth’s dearest uncle and aunt, but also through the childhood and teenage years of our favourite characters. As we would imagine, Elizabeth is a spirited little imp who sometimes tries her loving family’s patience, but also nettles a certain young lad from Derbyshire. The glimpses into the youngsters Elizabeth and Darcy used to be are heart-warming in every way, and it’s equally heart-warming to ...more
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JAFF, Romance
Shelves: favorites, prequels
This was utterly delightful and I couldn't put it down! The writing just flowed and like a river it carried you along to a most satisfying end. For me, Ms. Clarkston has captured not only Edward Gardiner but the future Mrs. Gardiner, Madeline Fairbanks, exactly as I imagined them to be.

This prequel to Pride & Prejudice has Mr. Bennet, young Jane and Elizabeth traveling with their Uncle Gardiner north to visit Mr. Bennet's brother and heir who is ailing. The sparkle and energy of a young Eli
Sara
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant to read this book (now I don't know why). I suppose I figured without D and E, what could be interesting. I could not have been more wrong. Nicole one of my favorite authors (not only P&P but N&S). She has an ability to paint such amazing pictures that I am immediately transported and immediately invested in the characters and plot. BRAVO! I truly loved the scenes with young Fitzwilliam and young Elizabeth. The courtship of Edward and Madeline was also beautiful. I cannot ...more
Teresa
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable sweet book. The love story between Edward and Madeline was so gentle. They are two of my favourite characters from P&P and the author kept them that way while giving us an insight into their earlier lives. Their relationship in P&P is a real love affair and it was lovely to see how that happened.
Meeting Lizzy, Jane, Georgiana and Darcy as younger children was a nice touch. However, I felt at times that they acted way older than the ages they were supposed to be. Young Da
Tlotem
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Such a delightful story of the Gardiner's courtship! These two are the mother, father, sister, brother or friend you dream to have! And little Lizzy is exactly as we can imagine and gives us lots of laughs... and Fitzwilliam Darcy... the same aloof boy unable to resist to the mischievous Lizzy...
Don't wait to read it, I'm sure you will enjoy it, fans of Jane Austen
Suzan Lauder
Madenna U
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this glimpse into how the Gardiner's met. It also has a fun introduction to all the principle characters in Pride and Prejudice. The story was light and flowed very nicely. I must confess that Lizzy is my favorite character.
Nicole Barton Sasser
Status: Read from October 06 to 12, 2016

Rating: 4 stars

Review:
The Courtship of Edward Gardiner is a lovely prequel to Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, in where we get to see how Elizabeth’s only example of a happy marriage meet and fall in love.

Prequels to canon are not abundant in the JAFF world. However, I have always adored the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner and looked forward to experiencing their beginning written by an author I enjoy. Nicole Clarkston did a wonderful job and even surprise
Abigail Bok
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m giving this one four stars for charm. Like the Austenesque novels of KaraLynne Mackrory, The Courtship of Edward Gardiner has characters you just want to squeeze and chuck under the chin. That’s of course both a strength and a weakness—the reader enjoys keeping company with them, but there’s nary an antagonist in the bunch (view spoiler).

The story focuses shrewdly—
Appalaa
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read entire review at at https://perioddramamadness.wordpress....

Nicole’s carefully preserves and builds upon the canonical personality traits of our beloved characters. Even as a child, Elizabeth displays an easy and playful nature, and her interaction with a teenage Fritzwilliam Darcy is familiar of their dynamic in Pride and Prejudice. The young Darcy has many POV chapters, and is represented sympathetically, as a sensitive young man, a doting brother, and dutiful son. In many ways, this book
Nisi
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Wonderful Story!

I always loved the Gardiners and was happy to read a story of their courtship since so very little of this side of Pride and Prejudice is explored. It was a bonus for me to see ODC meeting as children and Elizabeth's early influence on young Darcy. The author did an excellent job of recreating the mischievous hoyden I always pictured Elizabeth to be, as well as, giving us snippets of the personalities we would later see in canon. Truly a lovely story.

wosedwew
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
though love be a day and life be nothing, it shall not stop kissing. ~e.e. cummings

I love the Gardiners -- and now I know why!

Edward Gardiner takes a trip with his brother-In-law and nieces following his heartbreak over an unsuccessful courtship. His delay in Lambton is fortunate and he seizes his destiny.

The story also foreshadows two future romances -- can you guess whose?

Oddly enough, Elizabeth meets Wickham and immediately dislikes him -- hmmm, she was such a clever child!

A very sweet story
Dung
Definitely one of my favorite JAFF book of the year. So happy that the Gardiners are given some page time. Loved the way the author introduces some of our favorite P&P characters.

Would love to read the years in between their marriage and the start of P&P.
Susan
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
Edward Gardiner having just had his offer of marriage refused accompanies Mr. Bennet and his two oldest daughters on a journey northwards to visit the younger brother of Bennet. Finally reaching the small town of Lambton. Can Gardiner's heart be healed.
Thoroughly enjoyed this story, lovely writing style and enjoyed meeting the young Darcys and Bingleys.
Teresita
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great job!

A very believable and sweet story about my favorite secondary characters in P&P.

Ms. Clarkston did an amazing job of describing personalities as well as the surrounding area.

Highly recommended!
Leslie
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, austenesque
This book should have been titled "Austen Babies" where nanny is played by the future Madeline Gardiner [see: Muppet babies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muppet_... ]

This book starts out maturely enough with a unmarried Edward Gardiner begging a young lady to accept his suit. Alas she is already engaged to another merchant of more prosperous means and so she cruelly rejects him.

He is moping when his brother-in-law Bennet arrives in town with his two eldest daughters in tow. Bennet's brother is a
ana darcy
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff
I was very interested on reading the courtship of Mr. Gardiner, the lovely uncle of the Bennet sisters and the one who, together with his wife, brought Darcy and Elizabeth together.

As usual I am going to avoid any spoilers for two reasons: 1) I do not want people spoiling books or films to me and 2) it will leave you with the need to read such an awesome book!

You may have gather already that I have immensely enjoyed this book and not only because it is related to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Aust
pamela k cronister
Wonderful

It was so nice to read the Gardiner's back story. They have always been a particular favorite of mine. So I truly enjoyed this novel and the way it brought in the future players.
Luann Martin
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four Stars

Nicole Clarkston has written a charming story to make us better acquainted with Elizabeth's delightful aunt and uncle, the Gardiner's. She has also given us a look at a young Elizabeth that makes us love her more than ever. I'm so happy that I found this book. It was a delightful Sunday afternoon read.
Miriam
Margie's Must Reads
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nicole Clarkston takes a much admired couple from my favorite story ever and breathes new life and captures the essence of true love in this engaging prequel. Pride and Prejudice fans do not want to miss this one!
Allison
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story is very sweet, well written and quite cleverly done. It not only tells the Gardiners' story, but deftly weaves in tales of Elizabeth and Darcy's childhoods as well. Worth a read.
Nicole Clarkston is a book lover and a happily married mom of three. Originally from Idaho, she now lives in Oregon with her own romantic hero, several horses, and one very fat dog. She has loved crafting alternate stories and sequels since she was a child watching Disney’s Robin Hood, and she is never found sitting quietly without a book of some sort.

Nicole discovered Jane Austen rather by guilt