Start by marking “The Dark Horse (The Dark Horse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Horse  (The Dark Horse, #1)

The Dark Horse

(The Dark Horse #1)

Paul Hammond is dead. That's what tough and sexy LAPD Detective Daniel Moran tells his lover, Hollywood actor Sean Fairchild--and Sean wants to believe him, but what about those threatening postcards in Hammond's handwriting? The last thing Sean needs is someone doubting him. But then, what does Sean really know about his new boyfriend? Dan is a dark horse--and maybe Sean ...more
Published April 2007 by Loose Id (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Horse

Baba
4.5 stars.****Review completed June 21, 2013

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-06-20um174348_zps993b494a.png

Lanyon had me at…

I stared for a long time while Dan's deep voice receded into the cries of the gulls overhead and the pound of the waves on the beach a few yards away, until those too faded to a kind of white noise.

photo tumblr_mble8kuKci1qg39ewo1_500_zps3026d5eb.gif

I had an inkling this would be good. And it was actually more than good.

Dan's large hand slid under my fingers nervously fiddling with a teaspoon. "It's over, chief. Trust me."
"I do." It came out more husky than I'd intended.
He turned my h
Julio Genao
Sep 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
irritatingly neurotic protagonist whines his way through a dully-plotted mystery to a weak-sauce conclusion.

DISLIKE.
Sofia
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it

Um like this. It created a need in me to re-read The Charioteer because I'm realised that 30 years past my first reading, the story has gotten a bit (or more than) hazy. Just the feeling of a great book remains.

Read with Irina
Deeze
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another winner for me.

I loved this story. It was a bit different from my previous Josh Lanyon reads. This time the Cop wasn’t the closeted jerk. Instead Dan was the one most comfortable with his homosexuality and Sean was the more complexed character.

The story line was as interesting as the other Josh Lanyon mysteries I’ve read. It kept me guessing and even after I figured it out, or at least had my suspicions confirmed, I was still reading as fast as I could to get to the climax.

Dan and Sean ha
Johanna
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First of all: If you haven't read The Dark Horse and The White Knight yet, I think you should prepare to read them in a row, because the books twine together very nicely.

The Dark Horse was the first title Josh Lanyon wrote specifically for the m/m market. So, if you really stop to think about it, this book kind of made history, right?

What I most liked about The Dark Horse was the intimate moments between Sean and Dan: When they were talking, touching, holding each other and making love. Most of
Breann

Wait. Did I just read book 1 of a series or book 2? It says book 1, but it really felt like book 2. Oh well, I still enjoyed the hell out of The Dark Horse.

There wasn’t much background given in this story, we’re kind of thrust into the relationship between Sean and Dan and into the mystery. Hence, why this felt like a continuation of a series instead of the beginning. I would have liked some buildup of the relationship or some background on the stalking and was a little confused from th
Trio
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book, mm
Audible Version - narrator: Jason Clarke

What a fantastic story, I loved the characters and the plot was wonderfully creative (Lanyon, but of course). How she can pack so much into so few words will never cease to amaze me.

Jason Clarke's narration was perfect.
Jewel
Nov 26, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Huge Thank You to You'll Only See Me Once...Santa's most elusive Elf for gifting me this book! I can't wait to dive into this series!
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
What I love about Josh Lanyon's narrators is that they are not perfect and they know it. In this book Sean analyzes himself with clarity and detachment and no self-pity. For the reader it's really fascinating.

Sean has a lot of personal issues and he carries a bag of past anxiety. He's been stalked and he's fallen for Dan, the cop who was protecting him. His stalker should be dead, but Sean is still being threatened.

The stalker, his natural insecurity and the rejection for a movie part he wants b
Kati
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Oh, how I love Josh Lanyon's totally screwed up characters - the main hero in this book, Sean, was suicidal in the past. I loved Dan and his protective nature - even though he did go over the top from time to time, that's true - and it pained me to see how his and Sean's relationship went all screwy because they couldn't just talk, both having trust issues. The misunderstandings kept piling up and Steve's meddling didn't help. To sum it up, I loved it!
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-fiction
t’s a Hollywood cliché: the hot and handsome bodyguard. But in the case of LAPD Detective Daniel Moran, it’s all true. Dan is everything Sean ever wanted in a leading man, but Dan’s kind of an old-fashioned guy. It’s his job to keep Sean safe and in one piece — happy is someone else’s problem.

As tension mounts, Sean can’t help turning to Dan, while Dan is finding it harder and harder to say no. Their only chance of a happy ending is if Dan can keep Sean alive — but what happens when he uncovers
Annery
Thank you Josh Lanyon for restoring my book faith. I'd had a couple of meh to straight out bad reads recently and wisely decided to go with a master. As an added bonus I had not read this novella and loved it. The icing on the cake? Jason Clarke did the audio. Heaven.

Sean Fairchild is an up-and-coming, out movie star, who after having been stalked for a year goes to the police which results in assigned protection. The story opens the week after the stalker has presumably died in a high speed po
Natasha
WELL BUTTER ME UP AND CALL ME A BISCUIT.
(Yeah, I dunno.)

Classic Lanyon. Do I start each of my Lanyon reviews by saying "classic Lanyon"? Because I feel as if i do... anyway.

I'm in a book slump right now. Nothing I read I enjoy. Well, a few things, but most I'm not loving lately. EXCEPT LANYON BRINGS ME BACK INTO THE SUNSHINE!

I love mystery novels with CRAZY BITCHES. This one had a crazy bitch or two in it and I love that. I actually (sure, maybe I'm a bit dumb) didn't know who the culprit was un
Norma
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oh Josh. How is it that you manage to make me feel happy and sad in the same sentence? Beautiful story. Twists and turns, most of which I saw, but still made me stop and think. It's amazing to me how this author can fit so much into short stories and never have to resort to any nonsense to keep his story going.
ElaineY
Like most of the m/m romances I've bought, Dark Horse focuses on the romance with a bit of suspense to spice things up. I've realized that I'm turning to more and more gay erotica to get my romance/erotica fix because they, surprisingly, are more emotionally satisfying than the m/f romances being written these days.

Jon
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This novella was one roller-coaster ride!!! I thoroughly enjoyed "The Dark Horse"; As a reader, I felt like I was "dropped" in to the novella after so much had happened; the stalker, Paul Hammond was dead (or was he?), the Hollywood actor, Sean Fairchild had been stalked for a while before the stalker's death and assighed a body-guard, the hunky LAPD Dan Moran....therefore, I was immediately captivated. I read the novella over two days - I couldn't put it down!!!

My only disappointment is that th
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, lgbtq
Lessons learned, um, never? Last night I chose this book to read today. I figured I would start it in the morning, knowing there were plans for the day, with no worries. I'd start it, it's short, all will be ok. Except, because I will never learn, it wasn't. As is with me and Lanyon, I couldn't put this one down, again.

So, what did I think? I loved it, loved it, LOVED IT!! I think you will love it too! Read.
HereAndNow
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT ! Great and interesting case/plot and the two MC's are just perfect together.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Enjoyable, although I solved the mystery way before the end. Still, this is one of my favourite authors and the writing, the pace, the characters were just perfect.
Katie(babs)
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Dark Horse is an excellent mystery/romance about Hollywood actor, Sean Fairchild and LAPD Detective Dan Moran, who is also a bodyguard to the Hollywood elite. The Dark Horse begins where Sean is trying to get his life back on track after being stalked by a fan. His stalker is dead and Dan, his former bodyguard, is now his lover. We see things from Sean’s POV and his voice and internal dialogue was very enjoyable. Sean is simply adorable and the relationship he has with the older and rugged D ...more
Edina Rose
I usually don't like Hollywood characters/world (too shallow), and initially I refrained from buying this Josh Lanyon. I'm happy I finally gave in.

This is not an easy relationship, I don't trust them to make it the long run. I hope there will be more sequels than White Horse because I want to see how the relationship can work, how it will evolve along the years.

Will Dan keep being the caretaker? Will Sean learn to be less self-centred? And what about the juggling of two demanding careers? And w
CrabbyPatty
Read this in 2015, but I'm finally getting around to reading The White Knight so I figured I better write a short review.

I spent most of this book figuring I gotta be reading the second book in the series since the love story apparently started before THIS book and some of the plot is rehashed. I hated playing catch-up .....until I learn that somehow the actual second book in this series is both a prequel AND a sequel. And right now I am very confused .....
Lena♥Ribka
Audible

3,5 stars rounded up

See my review to Male/Male Mystery and Suspense Box Set: 6 Novellas, an audio collection of six novels.

Fangtasia
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the 'Adrien English Mystery' series
Like everything else from Josh Lanyon, fabulous story, characters so real that you miss them when you finish the book. If you liked the 'Adrien English Mystery' series, you will enjoy 'The Dark Horse'.
Tami
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-m-m
This is the second part in the series after "the white knight". I loved it. It is a typical Lanyon novel and has two great main characters and a good suspense part - simply great.

Heather C
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, m-m, novella, series
What a totally twisted story, and yet so beautiful.
Georgie
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, tag-reviewed
Suffers from being the sequel to a story that is never really referenced.  We're plunged into the middle of things, with no way of judging whether Sean is a reliable narrator, nor how strong his relationship with Dan is.  So a lot of this short novella is spent with the reader on the back-foot.  A second reading didn't really engage me much either.
Sunne
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book, the second one would be "The White Knight".

I liked both books very much.

Sean, the actor, and Dan, the cop are a couple. Originally Dan had been Sean's bodyguard while a madman had tried to kill him. Now we get to know them after this, the madman is dead but Sean still sees him, gets postcards and feel like he is going ....crazy. Now there is the problem, Sean has mental problems so he is constantly struggling to not loose his mind. He believes it's not his imagination,
Ayanna
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
11/4/2016
Okay, so, I reread this because I was looking at it like "O_o did I ACTUALLY read this?" and ?? I quite liked it?? Like. I appreciated what the author was doing and how they portrayed Sean. It's perhaps not where I'd like it to be in terms of mental health positivity, etc., but I appreciated how Lanyon portrayed Sean's struggles and the stuff he's going though and his complicated relationship with his own identity and how the world interacts with that.

10/4/2012
Meh. Good, I suppose, but
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Since Josh is inconsistent with whether he has a happy ending, this one was definitely nerve wracking. I still enjoyed it a lot, despite the fact that the MC finds dogs annoying.

Because I always want to know if there's a happy ending or not, I'm going to start putting that in my reviews in spoiler tags, especially with Mr. Lanyon.

Happy ending? (view spoiler)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Like Coffee and Doughnuts (Dino Martini Mysteries, #1)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
  • Inland Empire (Taking the Odds, #2)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

The Dark Horse (2 books)
  • The White Knight  (The Dark Horse, #2)
“What I like about cooking is that, so long as you follow the recipe exactly, everything always turns out perfect. It’s too bad there’s no recipe for happiness. Happiness is more like pastry—which is to say that you can take pains to keep cool and not overwork the dough, but if you don’t have that certain light touch, your best efforts still fall flat.

The work-around is to buy what you need. I’m talking about pastry, not happiness, although money does make things easier all around.”
16 likes
“What the hell were the odds of attracting two stalkers within a year? Was it my aftershave?” 1 likes