Start by marking “The Gathering Dusk (Killer Instinct, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Dusk (Killer Instinct, #0.5)

(Killer Instinct 0.5)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  666 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Don't miss the heart-pounding prequel novella to bestselling author Cynthia Eden's new Killer Instinct series

Published January 1st 2017 by Mills & Boon

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gathering Dusk

Alp
4.25/5

The Gathering Dusk is a prequel novella to Killer Instinct series and it really got off to a good start. You will be introduced to An FBI profiler, Samantha Dark, and her FBI partner, Blake Gamble. By the time I finished the first few pages, I found myself already getting into the groove of this story, and turning pages non-stop to see what would happen next. I got thrills and chills as the killer was gradually revealed. I was particularly curious about Samantha and Blake's pasts and how l
Sabrina
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it

The Gathering Dusk is Cynthia Eden's prologue to her brand new Killer Instincts series. The novella introduces readers to Samantha Dark, an FBI profiler, and her partner Blake Gamble. The two team up to take down a serial killer and we're taken on their suspenseful ride with them.

This was a very short book but there was no loss of the usual suspense that I've come to expect from Ms. Eden. Secrets are hinted at but not revealed so I'm dying to start After the Dark so I can get all my answers.
Shawna
5 stars - Suspense Prequel Novella

This prequel story has me hooked and anxious/ready for more Killer Instinct books!
Jo

What an excellent teaser this little novella turned out to be. I have liked Samantha Dark since the first moment we met her in Abduction, and the more I get to know about her, how good she is at understanding killers and darkness, the more intrigued by her I am. What happened in her past that made her so good at profiling serial killers and knowing how their minds work?

Then there’s her new partner, former SEAL Blake Gamble. He seems to like playing by the rules, but intent on doing whatever it

Leonor
4.5 stars!
Linda Strong
3.5 STARS

This novella is a prequel to the author's Killer Instinct Series.

Samantha Dark is an FBI Profiler. On her first field case, she 's aware of her ability to get into the mind of a killer, to find their victims, and to pull the trigger when necessary. Facing the latest serial killer to become headlines, Samantha is forced to shoot the killer to death. Fortunately, his latest victim is found alive.

Former SEAL Blake Gamble is Samantha's partner. He's a play-by-the-book enforcer and wants not
Mei
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This is a very short story without much happening...
Catherine (The Sassy Bookster)
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading one book by Cynthia Eden is never enough, that's how addictive her writing is and this novella is just the perfect start to an exciting series. In a few pages, Ms. Eden manages to combine suspenseful action and scorching hot chemistry into a very intense and gripping story and leaves you eager to get your hands on the next book in the series.

Samantha Dark and her new partner, Blake Gamble find themselves in the cross hairs of a killer intent on vengeance and must move fast to catch this
Lauren
4 Stars

When FBI Profiler, Samantha Dark, and her new partner, former Navy SEAL, Blake Gamble, are targeted by a vicious killer bent on vengeance, they must put aside their simmering attraction to catch a diabolical monster before it is too late.

Prequel novellas are often problematic as the plot is underdeveloped and the characters one-dimensional. This is not the case here as Cynthia Eden has provided an excellent introduction to her new Killer Instincts series.

Samantha is a
Yvonne
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Oh this had me hooked from the very beginning. What a great start to a new series.
Loved it!
Timitra
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gathering Dusk

The Gathering Dusk is a quick, action packed, suspenseful read. It introduces partners Samantha and Blake, the sexual tension between these two is palpable and I for one cannot wait to see what happens when the tension finally reaches its breaking point. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Yvonne
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have wanted to try books by this author for the longest time. When I saw this novella – and saw that it is a prequel to a new series – I figured it is a great way to get in on the ground floor. I figured right.

For a short story, it kept me on the edge-of-my seat until the end. This novella is filled with action, mystery, explosions, and a serial killer – all in one short book. The characters are strong, especially the heroine, Samantha. She’s tough, but going through her own emotional situati
Nomims
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella

A "mise en bouche" for the rest of the serie that seems very good.

Ann Lorz
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always get so excited when I know of a favorite author starting a new series. I just can't wait to see what they have new for me. Yes, for me. It's my world and they all write for me.
Sandy S
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date January 1, 2017

When untried FBI profiler Samantha Dark is face-to-face with a killer, there's no room for fear. Her best weapon is her instincts. Those same dark impulses that allow her to get inside the mind of a murderer, to locate victims—or to pull the trigger before she's next. She can't afford to have those instincts clouded by anything…especially her far-too-sexy new partner.

Former SEAL Blake Gamble plays everything by the book. Except, of course, when
Jessica Frances
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to these characters and I can't wait to continue on to see what happens next! I loved Sam and Blake, and their chemistry with each other was obvious. I look forward to seeing them face new challenges together and catching more bad guys. Definitely recommend to suspense romance fans and fans of Eden.
Anne - Books of My Heart
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: coyer, kfree, 2018, novella
This is an author I normally enjoy a lot so I was happy to read this book. I don't know if it was the short length but it was just okay. The character development was too uneven. Samantha is a great character and one I could like very well. The men however were too cliche and maybe predictable. I'm not sure I'll move on with this series but it would benefit from a regular length book I think.
Morelia (Strandedinbooks)
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
**4 to 4.5 STARS

This short story held all of my favorite things: romance, suspense, and oh yeah.. serial killers. And it was ONLY the prequel.
I am beyond excited to continue with this series as I am so curious to know who the killer is! This was my first taste of Cynthia's writing and hooked doesn't even begin to explain what I am right now.
Coral
Shelves: kindle-freebie
3/14/17 freebie
Elizabeth Neal
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Disclaimer: This is a prequel to the upcoming Killer Instincts series. After the Dark, book one, releases in March.

Blake and Samantha are both FBI agents, and while their partnership is newly formed, they do work well together. Yes, there's an attraction between the two and it's always simmering below the surface, but they are also professionals and act accordingly as necessary. Plus, a relationship is forbidden between fellow agents, something Blake is reminded of later.

“Be careful with the
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Gathering Dusk just whets your appetite for the next book After the Dark. From the amount of suspense and danger in this novella I think we are in for one heck of a wild ride in this series.

Here we are introduced to FBI profiler Samantha Dark and her partner Blake Gamble right before taking down a serial killer. The aftermath of that has some lingering consequences of which I assume will be continued in the next book. Every character we were introduced to in this book has an air of mystery
Mojca
An obvious prequel (thanks to the supposedly cliffhanger-y ending, which I found too predictable, and having read the blurb for the next book in the series, my prediction has been confirmed), dangling information about the heroine without revealing anything...Sometimes it works, most of the times I find it annoying. This one was the annoying kind with all the tidbits about secrets, blah blah blah.

The suspense could've worked if it were longer, the "unrequited attraction" between the two leads wa
Jackie Lane
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
More and more authors are writing Novellas. Some of them I find give us lots of facts that are great before reading the novel and others I find I'm a bit bored with.

After reading this novella, i can't wait to read Eden's next book. I was drawn into the characters and although this story was short, it was packed full of events and details and left me wanting more. I felt I could immediately immerse myself in the story and will be reading the first book in the series soon.

Another great start to a
Tori Macallister
I would have enjoyed knowing this was a quick novella with a cliffhanger ending. Poor choice of cover, too, since there's nary a kiss or any physical intimacy between the two FBI partners, which is rather disappointing.
Mella
A short introduction to the Killer Instinct world. Characters seem good, crime was interesting, will be interested to read more.
Lyndi W.
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ah, fuckshit! I forgot this was a short intro prequel to a new series and it ended about 300 pages before I was ready!

Damn, that was good. I gotta wait til MARCH for the first book?! Aaagggghhhh!
Ashia
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE GATHERING DUSK is a short novella and great prequel to After the Dark by Cynthia Eden. It introduces us to the characters and also sets up the readers' minds for the next book, which is full-length. It hints at possibilities that I hope will be fully explored in the next book. It also made me curious as to Samantha's and Cameron's pasts. That said, it isn't necessary to read this short story to understand and enjoy After the Dark.