Start by marking “Anna” as Want to Read:

Anna

Sicile, 2020. Un virus mortel, la Rouge, a deferle sur l'Europe quatre ans auparavant et decime la population adulte; les jeunes, eux, sont proteges jusqu'a l'age de la puberte. Anna se retrouve seule avec Astor, son petit frere de quatre ans.
Elle doit affronter le monde exterieur avec ses cadavres, ses charognards, ses chiens errants et affames, l'odeur pestilentielle, po
Published September 14th 2016 by Grasset (first published September 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Anna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna

Start your review of Anna
Diane S ☔
3.5 A virus has devastated Italy, all adults are thought to be dead. Children under the age of puberty are free if the virus, but soon after puberty the telling red blotches begin to appear. As Anna's mother lay dying she made Anna promise to take care of her younger brother Astor. She left them a book of important things to help them survive without her. They stay in the family home, Anna leaving to search for food to bring g home for Astor. They are surviving until a series of events that culm ...more
Andrew Smith
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The disease is called ‘la Rossa’ (the red one) due to the blotches that appear on the skin. There's no cure and a horrible death is the inevitable outcome once it strikes. And it’s been rampant, sweeping through Europe and killing everyone in its wake. Everyone, that is, except for pre-pubescent children. That’s the good news. That's the only good news. Once the child reaches puberty the dormant virus strikes and the same grisly fate awaits.

The year is 2020. Anna is thirteen and lives in Sicily
Liz Barnsley
I wasn't really fond of this one if I'm honest. The writing was beautiful, atmospheric and the scene setting for this post apocalyptic tale of children surviving in a world without adults was compelling. Hence 2* because I am a fan of beautiful writing.

Aside from the distraction of the descriptive prose though there wasn't that much here that got me going. Anna as a character is enduring, but for me the novel fell into expectation becoming reality. The plot followed a fairly generic line, whilst
Joseph
3.5 *

Niccolò Ammaniti is one of those writers who enjoy success with the reading public and general (if not unanimous) critical acclaim. One of the reasons for this must surely be that he brings a literary sensibility to popular genres, be it novels with a Mafia/"low-life" theme ( such as Io non ho paura and the Strega-winner Come Dio comanda) or bittersweet coming-of-age stories such as Io e te. Ammaniti's engagement with pop culture and his ability to read and reflect the "signs of the times"
Text Publishing
‘A fearsomely gifted writer.’
Independent

‘Ammaniti’s writing is sharp, lean and pacy.’
Herald Sun

‘Ammaniti excels…in capturing the thought processes and fears and desires of children… once you start reading him, you can’t put him down.’
Sunday Telegraph (UK)

‘Surreal but somehow also wholly believable. This book is repulsive and terrifying in all the right ways.’
The Best Books We’ve Read This Year (So Far), Readings

‘One of Italy's brightest literary stars.’
Observer

‘Ammaniti's prose is faultless from
Kimbofo
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reviews
A deadly virus has killed every adult in Italy and the world has irrevocably changed. There’s no electricity, no transport, no food. The cities are empty, the roads quiet. The world is run by children, who fight among themselves for survival, and feral dogs roam the countryside. The date? October 2020!

Reading Niccolò Ammaniti’s post-apocalyptic novel Anna right now was quite a freaky experience. When I found it lurking on my Kindle I had no idea about its contents. There was no blurb, I just kne
Andy Weston
I am not a big reader of science fiction but post-apocalyptic type novels are always of interest. I very much enjoyed The Last Of Us by Rob Ewing which has a similar premise. In Ewing's novel a pandemic wipes out the population of a Scottish island and the only survivors are a small group of children. In MR Carey's The Girl With All The Gifts it is not the adults, but the children who are getting wiped out (or turned to vampires). The book was less enjoyable, but still of interest.
Ammaniti's no
Bridget
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a while since I ready a dystopia and I've had this a while in the pile beside the bed, I have read a few of this author's novels and was looking forward to it. Anna is a young girl on the cusp of womanhood, she lives in an idyllic setting in the Italian countryside. She is bringing up her brother alone, scavenging for food and desperate to keep him safe, which means she needs to survive until he is old enough to manage. There are no more grown-ups, they have all been killed by a virus whic ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: death, gore, violence, animal death, animal attack, death of a parent, alcohol abuse, mentions of rape.

2.5 stars.

This was a very peculiar book. Veeeery peculiar. The gist of it is that a plague has killed everyone over the age of 14 and a girl who's rapidly approaching the age of 14 is trying to keep her little brother safe. And don't get me wrong, the concept was great. But the plot itself meandered more than I would have liked, and I'm not sure how much of the meandering fe
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sicily, 2020, a virus has swept through the globe, killing everyone past puberty. Human life has been reduced to childhood. Anna, a young teenager, is protecting her younger brother, Astor. Living and savaging from the security of their cottage. WhenAstor is kidnapped by a gang of blue children Anna travels through the ruins of the abandoned cities and into the vast and dangerous countryside to bring him safely home.

Anna is not an original plot. The things that happen are all quite predictable.
Jeanette
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't often that i read this genre, as i'm not a great lover of dystopian stories. I'm glad that i did eventually get around to reading this book, as much better than i had thought. Enjoyed.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review, voluntarily given.
Mairi Byatt
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written if devastatingly sad yet relevant novel, hope there is continuation?
Ана Петровска
I wish I could've loved it more but I just don't see this one sticking with me. I guess it's not the type of book that could amaze me. It's pretty sad and I really don't want to imagine a post apocalyptic world right now.
Sivananthi T
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A riveting read. My first Ammaniti book and will most probably read more. Talented writer, writes with pace and passion. Exploration of modern themes of loneliness, abandonment, and self-discovery.
Emi Bevacqua
Coming from me, 3 stars for sci-fi is pretty much a rave review. I don't like the genre (lurching from one violent scene to the next and the next, culminating in annihilation) but this was a quick read that I didn't hate, about nearly-nubile Anna and her little brother Astor, two Sicilian survivors in a post-apocalyptic world void of grownups, contaminated by a killer virus that lurks dormant until puberty.

Ammaniti does a great job providing detailed backstories for many of the minor characters
Katherine Sunderland
It feels strange to say I enjoyed this novel which is so full of terrifying events and graphic descriptions of a world that is rotting but I did. Anna is quite an extraordinary book; a dystopian novel set in the not too far future in a world without grown ups.

The opening rips the reader out the security of their armchair and throws them headlong into a scene that is more terrifying than any horror film I have seen. The imagery and chilling atmosphere is highly effective and despite the horror,
Mandy
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Set in Sicily in the very near future (2020 to be precise) all adults have died from a virus and the surviving children know that when they reach puberty they too will get the virus and die. Thirteen-year-old Anna is left looking after her younger brother Astor, trying to cope in a hostile world, without adults, with diminishing food and medical stocks and, rather predictably, with gangs of often threatening fellow children. Anna decides that if she and Astor could reach the mainland then maybe ...more
Sharon J
An incredible story told with candour.
The title is 'Anna' as she is indeed the focus of this new reality where the adults die of a virus but spares children until they too become adults. We are taken for a journey with Anna, who with her brother Astor, are survivors in an incredibly harsh world. One of the people Anna meets, Pietro, makes a comment: "This world doesn't exist. It's a nightmare we can't wake up from."
The dangers of this new world are vast - ranging from gangs of wild children an
Katarina Jelic
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride it was! I am putting this top shelves, one of the best 2020 books so far. If you love a slight touch of dystiopia, mixed with the most beautiful prose and going to the roots of existence type of story, you will love Anna. If you care for children and animals - and feel the need to protect vulnerables, you will adore Anna. I picked it up cause I found blurb interesting, with all the viruses around us. Didnt expect much at all, didnt even care enough to read the reviews...boy, the sham ...more
Kirsten Fleetwood
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right, if ever such a virus comes to pass I will be euthanising my children. There's no way I would leave them to survive in such a cruel world knowing they're going to die a horrible death anyway.
I have a daughter called Anna and I loved this author's previous novel "I'm Not Scared", which is why I immediately snapped this book up; my Anna has a 7 year old brother, my 'baby', which is why I felt such horror when reading it. In fact, it was the gut churning anxiety about Astor's fate that made
malo
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italian, ya-dystopian
This was a quick read with graphic (sexual and violent) depictions of children surviving in a world where adults were killed by a disease called Red Fever. True to Ammaniti's journalistic style of writing, the sentences were short and to the point and chapters were divided into smaller sections. I didn't connect to the characters, but it got me thinking about how people would act and what would they do if there were no modern ammenities (electricity, water, shops, schools....).
Ashley Baxter
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for post apocalyptic stories. I don’t need zombies or fights to the death, #anna by #niccoloammaniti captures that perfectly. He presents a adultless picture of Italy and Anna’s life. A simple yet moving story, for fans of the impending trump apocalypse this is worth picking up
Wilde Sky
Children struggle to survive after a virus wipes out the adult population.

The basic idea was reasonable but the writing / plot were a bit clunky.
Brian
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gruelling fantasy novel of a society in which all the adults have died. Definitely for teens, probably for adults as well.
Karen
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This was a good read. I'm not often a fan of dystopian novels, but this is an exception. It is an easy read, and I found I wanted to see how the children in the story would move past the obstacles to their survival.
I received a free copy of this book.
Emma
I found myself gripped by this book. I just had to follow what happened with Anna and Astor, I just had to know what how things were going to turn out.
Whilst the main storyline of this book isn’t anything new - adults dying from a virus and leaving children to rule the world, until they come of age and the virus hits them too - I didn’t find ‘Anna’ boring at all. There was heaps of action. But also quite a lot of tender moments.
This book was a beautiful look at the special relationship between
AA88
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a non-spoiler review.

Let me just tell you before I start: I implore you to read this book and give it a go!

Anna is a young adult novel that follows a young 13 year old girl in a version of dystopian Italy. The novel starts out based in Sicily. Basically, at the point where the novel begins, a virus has killed off all the adults (we’re not sure if in the whole world or just where Anna is). So there are only children left until they reach adolescence where they also get the virus and die.
Anna
I still have a childish fondness for books and characters who share my name, which is what drew my eye to ‘Anna’ on the shelf. Then I saw it was a post-apocalyptic novel, so obviously had to read it. I would describe it as serviceable without doing anything hugely striking. It’s set in the near future, when a virus has wiped out all adults. A young teenager named Anna lives in a wrecked and deserted Sicily with her little brother Astor. The story is of them attempting to survive in a ruined worl ...more
Debbie P
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple. One of the best book I have read. Could not put it down and read it all in 1 evening. Also love Ammaniti's novel I'm not scared.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Italia: Uscito nuovo romanzo di Niccolò Ammaniti 7 67 Oct 04, 2015 12:07PM

• Тајната на Алексови
  • Нека играат децата
  • L'amore ai tempi del Covid-19
  • Сопругата на детективот
  • La misura del tempo (Guido Guerrieri #6)
  • Don't Move
  • Almarina
  • L'Arminuta
  • The Florios of Sicily
  • Nessuno si salva da solo
  • Once & Then
  • Џокер во покер
  • Il colibrì
  • Il sentiero dei nidi di ragno
  • Marina Bellezza
  • Accabadora
  • Questa è l'America: Storie per capire il presente degli Stati Uniti e il nostro futuro
  • The Almond Picker
Niccolò Ammaniti was born in Rome in 1966. He has written three novels and a collection of short stories. He won the prestigious Italian Viareggio-Repaci Prize for Fiction with his bestselling novel I'm Not Scared, which has been translated into thirty-five languages.